Quantum, Cape Liberty update

I don't think an Oasis Class ship can clear the Verrazano Bridge.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

She was designed with the sister bridges in mind since one of them had to be passed under just to leave the ship yard and the other two are Verrazano and Golden Gate. So she can make it with room to space as long as the retractable funnels never fail and they don't hit high tide.

She was designed with the sister bridges in mind since one of them had to be passed under just to leave the ship yard and the other two are Verrazano and Golden Gate. So she can make it with room to space as long as the retractable funnels never fail and they don't hit high tide.

LOL, don't suppose they'll be chancing that anytime soon... :p

Further progress on the new cruise terminal at Cape Liberty in Bayonne.

1959320_1487619524783423_8435087727058841042_n.jpg

10300219_1487619551450087_4730530725180241967_n.jpg

Wow, looks familiar, lol I think that was taken by me this morning, lol. Social media is great :):)

Wow, looks familiar, lol I think that was taken by me this morning, lol. Social media is great :):)

Welcome home! Things got a little crazy while you were away LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Welcome home! Things got a little crazy while you were away LOL

80% of the crew onboard the EXOS including Captain James and the senior officers were perplexed about the announcement. They all expected the QOTS to remain in Bayonne. Its called follow the money and Asia is hot at this time. According to the ports & engineering folks in Bermuda, dredging will commence at the end of the year and will be completed by early spring. The Anthem will depart April 2016 for South Hampton, UK and the Liberty will once again call at Cape Liberty for the Summer/fall 2016.

The Anthem will depart April 2016 for South Hampton, UK and the Liberty will once again call at Cape Liberty for the Summer/fall 2016.

WOW, well that's unfortunate... They've already decided that?!?!?!

WOW, well that's unfortunate... They've already decided that?!?!?!

The anthem will only visit seasonally in Cape Liberty according to the hotel manager after the announcement.

Oops. Missed this one.

The view of the where the new cruise terminal will be located as leave the port.

10015657_1485173388361370_3878125627028907768_n.jpg

The photos were taken this morning from deck 5 of the Magellan restaurant at about 0745 and placed on FB on the QOTS home page.

Further progress on the new cruise terminal at Cape Liberty in Bayonne.

1959320_1487619524783423_8435087727058841042_n.jpg

10300219_1487619551450087_4730530725180241967_n.jpg

This will be completed in the next month to fortify the wharf for the larger cruise ships which will call in the future.

The anthem will only visit seasonally in Cape Liberty according to the hotel manager after the announcement.

Sorry to hear that, I hope he's wrong. RCI has a way of changing their mind at the drop of a hat these days... :p

This will be completed in the next month to fortify the wharf for the larger cruise ships which will call in the future.

So this area we see dug up is not for the terminal, this area is just being dug up so they can dock a larger ship?

You said it will be done in 1 months time(4 weeks)?

Jimbo:)

I don't know who told you that but unless I'm wrong (anyone feel free to correct me) there is no way you will be boarding on deck 9. Most ships board on deck one or there about.

Deck 1------- are you serious?????? ONE.

Never been boarded first day on deck one---- 4, 5 or 6 maybe. Nine as you say NEVER.

This is how rumors start.

Of course what I'm about to tell you isn't a rumor but a fact-- I heard we're going to helo in. Saw them practicing on Allure #3 two months ago. Quantum has the new air chamber for flying so you can practice "air diving" into the ship-- by pass check in and right go into your cabin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 1 month later...

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/11146-royal-caribbean-to-upgrade-cape-liberty.html

Royal Caribbean to Upgrade Cape Liberty

on 27 May 2014.

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. today announced that it has entered into an agreement with The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey for the cruise company to develop the next phase of Cape Liberty Cruise Port in Bayonne, N.J.

The $55 million project will include the construction of a new, state-of-the-art guest terminal, with 125,000 sq. ft. of check-in, customs and immigration, and luggage processing space, as well as a 900-car parking structure and pier improvements. The new facilities will be erected adjacent to the current terminal used to welcome guests and will accommodate the cruise company’s ships, including the next-generation Quantum of the Seas and Anthem of the Seas, each to start service at Cape Liberty in November 2014 and 2015, respectively. Ground breaking has already occurred and the new terminal is scheduled to be completed in November 2014.

“The planned state-of-the-art cruise terminal at Cape Liberty will perfectly complement our Quantum-class ships, which will be the most technologically advanced ships in the world,” said Adam Goldstein, president and COO of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. “We are glad to work with the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey to develop world-class facilities for vacationers to embark on the most innovative cruise ships for an experience that can only be found on Royal Caribbean.”

Opened in May 2004, Cape Liberty Cruise Port is located 15 minutes from Newark Liberty International Airport and seven miles south of Manhattan. The port is the year-round home of Royal Caribbean International’s Explorer of the Seas, and seasonally for Celebrity Cruises’ Celebrity Summit. The port will welcome the highly anticipated Quantum of the Seas for its inaugural season sailing to the Caribbean and Bahamas starting in November 2014. Liberty of the Seas will then homeport at Cape Liberty in summer 2015 and become Royal Caribbean International’s largest and most innovative cruise ship to sail to Bermuda. In winter 2015, Cape Liberty will be the homeport for Quantum of the Seas’ sister-ship Anthem of the Seas, after the ship completes its inaugural season in Europe.

“The City of Bayonne welcomes the expansion of Royal Caribbean’s Cape Liberty Cruise Terminal along with the related construction and permanent jobs, enhanced tourism and commerce that will be created as Royal Caribbean expands their home port at the Peninsula at Bayonne Harbor,” said Bayonne Mayor Mark Smith. “Their plans fully complement our plans to develop Harbor Station South as a full service retail, and commercial destination with flagship hotels, restaurants and entertainment venues close to the port.”

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/11146-royal-caribbean-to-upgrade-cape-liberty.html

Royal Caribbean to Upgrade Cape Liberty

on 27 May 2014.

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. today announced that it has entered into an agreement with The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey for the cruise company to develop the next phase of Cape Liberty Cruise Port in Bayonne, N.J.

The $55 million project will include the construction of a new, state-of-the-art guest terminal, with 125,000 sq. ft. of check-in, customs and immigration, and luggage processing space, as well as a 900-car parking structure and pier improvements. The new facilities will be erected adjacent to the current terminal used to welcome guests and will accommodate the cruise company’s ships, including the next-generation Quantum of the Seas and Anthem of the Seas, each to start service at Cape Liberty in November 2014 and 2015, respectively. Ground breaking has already occurred and the new terminal is scheduled to be completed in November 2014.

“The planned state-of-the-art cruise terminal at Cape Liberty will perfectly complement our Quantum-class ships, which will be the most technologically advanced ships in the world,” said Adam Goldstein, president and COO of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. “We are glad to work with the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey to develop world-class facilities for vacationers to embark on the most innovative cruise ships for an experience that can only be found on Royal Caribbean.”

Opened in May 2004, Cape Liberty Cruise Port is located 15 minutes from Newark Liberty International Airport and seven miles south of Manhattan. The port is the year-round home of Royal Caribbean International’s Explorer of the Seas, and seasonally for Celebrity Cruises’ Celebrity Summit. The port will welcome the highly anticipated Quantum of the Seas for its inaugural season sailing to the Caribbean and Bahamas starting in November 2014. Liberty of the Seas will then homeport at Cape Liberty in summer 2015 and become Royal Caribbean International’s largest and most innovative cruise ship to sail to Bermuda. In winter 2015, Cape Liberty will be the homeport for Quantum of the Seas’ sister-ship Anthem of the Seas, after the ship completes its inaugural season in Europe.

“The City of Bayonne welcomes the expansion of Royal Caribbean’s Cape Liberty Cruise Terminal along with the related construction and permanent jobs, enhanced tourism and commerce that will be created as Royal Caribbean expands their home port at the Peninsula at Bayonne Harbor,” said Bayonne Mayor Mark Smith. “Their plans fully complement our plans to develop Harbor Station South as a full service retail, and commercial destination with flagship hotels, restaurants and entertainment venues close to the port.”

I guess things should start picking up quickly then. Still don't see how this will be completed by November... that's a big job for 6 months but we shall see!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using forums app

I guess things should start picking up quickly then. Still don't see how this will be completed by November... that's a big job for 6 months but we shall see!

In a city near me, there was construction going on for a new garage for the commuter rail system into Boston. I noticed that just a few weeks ago, there did not seam to be any progress (possibly it was all footings and land prep). I went by the area over the weekend and saw a structure starting to erupt out of the ground. It appears that they are using pre-constructed components and are lifting them into place like a 3D jigsaw puzzle. If that is how they intend to do the construction in Bayonne, then maybe it could be completed in time.

In a city near me, there was construction going on for a new garage for the commuter rail system into Boston. I noticed that just a few weeks ago, there did not seam to be any progress (possibly it was all footings and land prep). I went by the area over the weekend and saw a structure starting to erupt out of the ground. It appears that they are using pre-constructed components and are lifting them into place like a 3D jigsaw puzzle. If that is how they intend to do the construction in Bayonne, then maybe it could be completed in time.

Interesting theory. It sounds plausible b/c I can't how a building plus a 900 space garage will be completed by November.

At the start of this thread, there were mentions that there wouldn't be a Quantum Class ship sailing from Cape Liberty during the Summer Seasons at all.

Has any of this been confirmed or like a lot of things, is this just rumor?

Is there any evidence to support this or just pure speculation?

At the start of this thread, there were mentions that there wouldn't be a Quantum Class ship sailing from Cape Liberty during the Summer Seasons at all.

Has any of this been confirmed or like a lot of things, is this just rumor?

Is there any evidence to support this or just pure speculation?

Not sure. Liberty will be there next summer Anthem arrives in November for how long is anyone's guess.

Not sure. Liberty will be there next summer Anthem arrives in November for how long is anyone's guess. I think this is all dependent on Bermuda.

A new parking garage will be nice - I would think the daily parking rate will increase. I wonder how many cars were able to park in the lot at Cape Liberty currently. If there are more than 900 cars will there be overflow parking not in the garage - just curious how it works. I love sailing out of Cape Liberty and not having to fly.

Keep the pictures of progress coming - much appreciated!!