Quantum, Cape Liberty update

In a city near me, there was construction going on for a new garage for the commuter rail system into Boston. I noticed that just a few weeks ago, there did not seam to be any progress (possibly it was all footings and land prep). I went by the area over the weekend and saw a structure starting to erupt out of the ground. It appears that they are using pre-constructed components and are lifting them into place like a 3D jigsaw puzzle. If that is how they intend to do the construction in Bayonne, then maybe it could be completed in time.

That's how the massive construction of Terminal 18 in Port Everglades happened for Oasis. That thing went up in a matter of weeks. It was incredible to see. It was basically a few steel structure pieces and then giant cement slabs that were poured and lifted into place.

That's how the massive construction of Terminal 18 in Port Everglades happened for Oasis. That thing went up in a matter of weeks. It was incredible to see. It was basically a few steel structure pieces and then giant cement slabs that were poured and lifted into place.

Looks like the same process is underway in Port Canaveral. One day there was just dirt and a week later they have walls up. The link below is to the live webcam of the construction (does not seem to work on iPad) and you can see more walls going up. Try viewing it during the day time.

http://webcampub.multivista.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=aPublicWebcam.embed&WebcamPublicEmbedUID=873D8514-F022-46B4-94F1-2FDB6070F759&width=&height

A new parking garage will be nice - I would think the daily parking rate will increase. I wonder how many cars were able to park in the lot at Cape Liberty currently. If there are more than 900 cars will there be overflow parking not in the garage - just curious how it works. I love sailing out of Cape Liberty and not having to fly.

Keep the pictures of progress coming - much appreciated!!

I'm curious about this as well... I could easily see them exceeding 900 cars, especially during the summer when Celebrity Summit is also sailing out of Bayonne. I imagine they'll keep an overflow lot, but who knows?

I'm curious about this as well... I could easily see them exceeding 900 cars, especially during the summer when Celebrity Summit is also sailing out of Bayonne. I imagine they'll keep an overflow lot, but who knows?

The article also mentioned hotels - I bet a lot of them will offer park-and-cruise packages, which will take some of the pressure off the lot. I have a ton of family and friends close to the NJ port, but if there was a hotel _at_ the port, I'd probably stay there just for the convenience. It's probably also a safe bet that they will try to control parking capacity by raising prices. ;)

Looks like the same process is underway in Port Canaveral. One day there was just dirt and a week later they have walls up. The link below is to the live webcam of the construction (does not seem to work on iPad) and you can see more walls going up. Try viewing it during the day time.

http://webcampub.multivista.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=aPublicWebcam.embed&WebcamPublicEmbedUID=873D8514-F022-46B4-94F1-2FDB6070F759&width=&height

Thanks for sharing the link, going to have to watch that each day now!

This is sooooooooo cool. Thanks for sharing this webcam. I love to look at webcams when I'm at work and dreaming about being anywhere else but here.

It's probably also a safe bet that they will try to control parking capacity by raising prices. ;)

Hah, true story! Ugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Thanks for sharing the link, going to have to watch that each day now!

This is sooooooooo cool. Thanks for sharing this webcam. I love to look at webcams when I'm at work and dreaming about being anywhere else but here.

You are welcome. Someone here at CC posted the link a few months ago. The building is going up fast day by day. You can see some new concrete sections on the ground to the right. I am very curious to see the start of the pier itself. Looks like they are starting to do something today with those cranes in front of the building.

I just got off the Explorer a few weeks ago. While onboard I went down to the reservations office to cancell my December cruise on QOS as I just didn't want to deal with that shuttle again! The woman I spoke to said as far as they knew the new facility would be ready in time. She mentioned that they just bring the parts in and set them in place. So that does sound like a pre fab . So if thats the case maybe it will be ready. Anyway she convienced me not to cancel and said as far as they knew everything was on schedule.

I just got off the Explorer a few weeks ago. While onboard I went down to the reservations office to cancell my December cruise on QOS as I just didn't want to deal with that shuttle again! The woman I spoke to said as far as they knew the new facility would be ready in time. She mentioned that they just bring the parts in and set them in place. So that does sound like a pre fab . So if thats the case maybe it will be ready. Anyway she convienced me not to cancel and said as far as they knew everything was on schedule.

Shuttle that bad? I've never sailed out of NJ so I have no idea what to expect.

You were really going to cancel your cruise because of the shuttle?

No, people just love to complain about anything. It's a quick 2 minute (if that) ride from the terminal to the ship. Painless.

That's what I was thinking because what does a shuttle ride have to do with the actual cruise itself. I'd walk a mile with my luggage if I had to for a cruise!!

Shuttle that bad? I've never sailed out of NJ so I have no idea what to expect.

It's very easy to use the shuttle. No sane person would cancel a cruise because of a 2 minute bus ride. It drops you 20 yards from he ship.

We have been through Bayonne six times using the shuttle. Later this year it will be #7 and maybe even #8 (if the new terminal is not ready yet). I have no problems using it. That has been the method used since the port opened and it has been that way for about 10 years now with almost every cruise sold out. I am glad that they are bringing the port current so you can board right from the terminal but until then, the shuttle will not be an issue for me.

Cape Liberty

Drive to the Port.

Drive to the luggage area.

Drop off your luggage. (two minutes)

Drive to the parking lot. (three minutes)

Walk to the terminal. (two minutes---five minutes)

Register and get your sea pass. (depends on volume)

Get on the shuttle. (depends on volume)

Step off the shuttle onto the gangway. (one minute)

Start your cruise.

The entire length of time spent depends on how many passengers are arriving at the time you get to the port.

Really not a problem and not that different from any other port.

bosco

We have a cruise on Explore Oct 18th, and it will stink seeing the terminal pretty much done and not being able to use it. I was hoping it would be done earlier so we could. Oh well :(

Cape Liberty

Drive to the Port.

Drive to the luggage area.

Drop off your luggage. (two minutes)

Drive to the parking lot. (three minutes)

Walk to the terminal. (two minutes---five minutes)

Register and get your sea pass. (depends on volume)

Get on the shuttle. (depends on volume)

Step off the shuttle onto the gangway. (one minute)

Start your cruise.

The entire length of time spent depends on how many passengers are arriving at the time you get to the port.

Really not a problem and not that different from any other port.

bosco

All I ever read and am told is how terrible that port is. We are going for the first time in Oct, so I hope we have the same experience that you do. What is the best arrival time?

Edited by Irene7

All I ever read and am told is how terrible that port is. We are going for the first time in Oct, so I hope we have the same experience that you do. What is the best arrival time?

We've always arrived at Liberty at about 11 AM or so.

bosco

I will be the first to admit that it is not the prettiest port around and the current facility is a converted military building but the departure port for me is not the cruise. It is only a location to get me onboard. There are other ports that I have been to where I would say they are also not pretty. Barbados is one example where it is a commercial area with the port facilities added at the front. They are suppose to be changing that around as well. St Maarten has a pretty port on one side but industrial on the other side (so it depends on what side of the port you are looking at).

My feeling is the ship is the cruise, the ports (after you pass through security) is the cruise, the departure port is only a way to it.

I will be the first to admit that it is not the prettiest port around and the current facility is a converted military building but the departure port for me is not the cruise. It is only a location to get me onboard. There are other ports that I have been to where I would say they are also not pretty. Barbados is one example where it is a commercial area with the port facilities added at the front. They are suppose to be changing that around as well. St Maarten has a pretty port on one side but industrial on the other side (so it depends on what side of the port you are looking at).

My feeling is the ship is the cruise, the ports (after you pass through security) is the cruise, the departure port is only a way to it.

Agreed! There have been numerous posts complaining about Cape Liberty. I'll be the first to admit that I would prefer to walk onboard but it is less than a 2 minute ride. I don't see any complaints about leaving from the Pan Am pier in San Juan. That to me, is the worst embarkation port. Every time we have sailed from there, we were stuck on a long line in the blistering sun and humidity that you could cut with a knife. The building is also too small to hold all the passengers once the doors opened. On one cruise we arrived early, waited in line for the doors to open and then sat there for 4 hours due to a sweep of the ship from previous passengers that had brought drugs onboard. As annoyed as were were, my heart went out to the passengers that were left outside in the blistering heat. RCI actually had staff members passing out water to those outside as a few had passed out from the heat. :(

I will still sail from both ports as Cape Liberty is an hour drive for me and San Juan offers the So Caribbean itineraries. The little annoyances are forgotten as soon an I'm onboard. :)

The shuttles are not a big deal for getting on the ship the problem is getting off when carrying your own luggage. Everyone has to drag their own luggage up on the shuttles which slows down the loading process. The backup on the ship is caused by the shuttle loading process. On one of our cruises they were only loading one shuttle at a time under the tent and it was really backed up inside the ship.

Now on the plus side once you get off the shuttle it goes fast. I have never had more than 2 people in front of me at customs.