stuff, stuff and more stuff :( packing issue

jamona2311

I always makes note as to what I used and didn't use on any given cruise/land vacation. So I now know exactly what it is I can and can't be comfortable with or without.

I traveled through Europe with a huge, heavy duffel bag, a large rolling suitcase, and a large tote. I had no problem. Getting on and off the train wasn't a problem because there were plenty of people that were willing to help. So it really was never an issue. I don't know, these are things I never stress about. I know it will all work out, it always has and all my cruises/land trips have been awesome regardless of how many suitcases I take.

Now that I've traveled all over the world, I've narrowed it all down to a large rolling suitcase that I check and a large tote bag that piggybacks onto my larger suitcase. This works for me. I've had no problem with this configuration while traveling on trains, plains, buses, or cars.

Only you know what items are important for you to take with you in order for you to be comfortable and happy.

I hope it all works out to your satisfaction and that you have an awesome vacation!:D

Edited by mousey

Hi, I'm headed to Europe in about 6 weeks, my first time as a solo, going to visit DD who is temporarily living in Bordeaux. I'll be traveling through england & france via trains, my strategy will be a roller carry on bag & a duffle tote that will strap onto the carry on.

My advice to the OP, take only what you absolutely need, not what you 'might' need or want, if you run out of a basic, buy it in Europe. Use the hotel & ship's soap. The one thing I'll take will be my own shampoo & conditioner, in my 3 1 1 bag.

I'll pack a very basic plain wardrobe of grey & black, leggings, tee shirts, tunics, & add scarves... I don't bring jewelry, & swap out my really nice wedding ring for a fake one, mine is a bit loose, & it's just one less thing to think about, you can pick up a decent looking fake ring at nordstrom for less than $30.

Regarding shoes, you need two pairs that you can walk in all day (if one gets soaked with rain you have a different pair to put on) (I take boots, & pack stuff inside of them in my suitcase.)

Cute flat sandals for dress up or daytime & flat flip flops for the pool. (these will pack flat & take up almost no room or weight in your suitcase)

A certain number of my older undies that have faded are packed for one wear & throw away use, I know this bugs some people, but I don't know why...

Plan on sending out laundry every other day, that's really the secret to packing light for a trip longer than a week.

Since this is a subject that comes up so often, I think I'm going to post photos of what I pack, & how I pack it on a new thread when it gets closer to my trip. :)

I traveled through Europe with a huge, heavy duffel bag, a large rolling suitcase, and a large tote. I had no problem. Getting on and off the train wasn't a problem because there were plenty of people that were willing to help. So it really was never an issue.

Just a friendly word of warning about allowing others to help you. In recent years in Italian train stations this has become an issue. If someone offers to help you with your bags, it's extremely unlikely that they are being a "good samaritan" -- they are more likely going to try to extort a large tip for their help. Or worst case, make off with your bag.

I'm often traveling solo on these trains. I wouldn't think of letting go of either of my bags to a stranger volunteering to help me. :eek:

Of course, it's a different story if you are traveling with someone else. Then you can help each other with the bags -- one standing on the platfrom and handing the bags up to the other one on the train. (There are about 4 steep steps up to the train carriage in most cases.) Still, you have to figure out what to do with it all once you get on board....!

Edited by cruisemom42

Oh and to give you an idea, so far, I have a large suite case, a 20in carry on and a largeish backpack. I can put my purse in the back pack at least:o

There are many suggestions in this thread that I would comment on. First of all I would suggest you conceder your safety and comfort. Carrying/pulling a full size suite case, a carry on, and backpack is a bit much if you plan on taking public transportation. I would think that carrying so much stuff down the street, on busses, and on trains very difficult and uncomfortable. I think it also make one more venerable to thieves because it will be hard to protect all those items in a crowd. I would also suggest not putting anything of importance in a backpack especially your purse as you have stated. Backpacks are prime targets for thieves. I would also suggest you take on a test run around your hometown to see how it will work.

I agree with many that posted that clothing made of materials that are lightweight and dry quickly a good idea. As far as cleaning them take a look at the washing instructions first before using fabric softener on them because the chemicals in fabric softeners can reduce the wicking features of performance clothing.

When I pack for a cruise I plan on wearing everything at least twice. Pants sometime more. I use a combination of hand washing as well as laundry service on the ship.

That quote from 1bag is true about the mindset. You have to be prepared mentally for this type of traveling. I have done the one bag but after a trying it I came to the conclusion it wasn't from me for a cruise vacations.

Shak

When we cruised the Caribbean I forgot my eyebrow pencil. My brows are very blond. In each port I went to stores trying to find one. No luck. Always remember to pack your eyebrow pencil.

Like!:D

I've never packed the Downey Winkle Release - I don't like the smell on my clothes. Instead, I pack a very small, empty squirt bottle and use water where ever I am. I also send laundry out on the cruise to pack less clothing.

Now, my downfall is personal care items. I don't go anywhere without either a flatiron or curling iron and my travel blowdryer. My hair takes hours to dry on it's own & 25-30 minutes with a good dryer.

I have two things I always keep in mind when packing:

1) Shoes are heavy

2) Any hairdryer but my own typically sucks

So, I wear my heaviest pair of shoes to travel (usually my workout shoes, which double as walking shoes), and pack no more than two other pairs (one for evening/dress, and a pair of good quality Clark flip-flops that are also good for walking). And I take my hairdyer, which I also use to release wrinkles on clothes.

Makeup at a minimum, hair products in travel sizes, and my pareo can be a sundress, a swimsuit coverup, or a blanket or pillow for the plane. I take half as many clothes as I think I'll need and send out laundry once per cruise. "Smalls" I do myself in the sink.

Absolute musts: hat, sunscreen, deet, toothbrush, toothpaste. Anything else I can buy if I don't have it and really need it.

I have two things I always keep in mind when packing:

1) Shoes are heavy

2) Any hairdryer but my own typically sucks

So' date=' I wear my heaviest pair of shoes to travel (usually my workout shoes, which double as walking shoes), and pack no more than two other pairs (one for evening/dress, and a pair of good quality Clark flip-flops that are also good for walking). And I take my hairdyer, which I also use to release wrinkles on clothes.

Makeup at a minimum, hair products in travel sizes, and my pareo can be a sundress, a swimsuit coverup, or a blanket or pillow for the plane. I take half as many clothes as I think I'll need and send out laundry once per cruise. "Smalls" I do myself in the sink.

Absolute musts: hat, sunscreen, deet, toothbrush, toothpaste. Anything else I can buy if I don't have it and really need it.[/quote']

Looks like you have your packing down to a "T". Lucky you, I'm still working on this. I'm packing for a 2 week trip to FL this weekend and I'm trying to go light. I'll let you know the results.

I have so much "Stuff, stuff, stuff" I can't do without. But, I'm gonna give it a go!:D

I have so much "Stuff, stuff, stuff" I can't do without.

I remind myself when I start my packing lists that if it's not a medication keeping me alive, I most probably *can* live without it. Everything else is a "want", right?

I've found for ME, starting from NOTHING and slowly building UP is much easier than starting with everything I *want* and trying to scale back. It's just a flip of a mindset, but it's a tool/trick that works for me when I want to pack light.

Wow! That's an idea that I haven't read about on these boards yet (unless I'm clueless and missed it :eek:). That makes a lot of sense to me and I'm going to give it a try. Instead of shoving in everything on my list. I'll just start from scratch and only put in things that are true necessities! Geez, I hope I can do this...I seem to have tons of necessities!:eek::D

I always makes note as to what I used and didn't use on any given cruise/land vacation. So I now know exactly what it is I can and can't be comfortable with or without.

I traveled through Europe with a huge, heavy duffel bag, a large rolling suitcase, and a large tote. I had no problem. Getting on and off the train wasn't a problem because there were plenty of people that were willing to help. So it really was never an issue. I don't know, these are things I never stress about. I know it will all work out, it always has and all my cruises/land trips have been awesome regardless of how many suitcases I take.

Now that I've traveled all over the world, I've narrowed it all down to a large rolling suitcase that I check and a large tote bag that piggybacks onto my larger suitcase. This works for me. I've had no problem with this configuration while traveling on trains, plains, buses, or cars.

Only you know what items are important for you to take with you in order for you to be comfortable and happy.

I hope it all works out to your satisfaction and that you have an awesome vacation!:D

BBM

Amen!

snip..I have so much "Stuff, stuff, stuff" I can't do without. snip

I can cut back on band aids etc, but it´s the electrical stuff that´s my problem, the chargers, the cables, the extension lead, the adaptors etc.. plus netbook (essential as I write a daily blog), It´s this lot which seems to be sooo weighty

Sandy in Spain

So true about the sizes being smaller. DD lives in Rome and a BIG car is a Ford Focus wagon.

Also what types of places are you staying when traveling? If BnBs those might not have elevators, if they do it can be puny.

The elevator in DD's building can barely hold four skinny people. When I visit my tote goes on top of my carryon which is on top of my check thru. Just enough room for me.

You bring me back to our last trip to Rome, in 2009. We stayed at a 4-room B&B that was located on the 4th floor (US) of a large building. We were able to ride the elevator with our 20" bags and knapsacks. Another couple who arrived the day after we did had to go up in shifts. By the time they were finished, the manager's office was overflowing with their luggage. He asked us if they were moving to Rome.:p

On our first trip, we had small but very heavy bags that we had to heave into the overhead on the planes and trains. Doing so once cured me of the need to pack that much heavy stuff ever again.

A certain number of my older undies that have faded are packed for one wear & throw away use, I know this bugs some people, but I don't know why...

Plan on sending out laundry every other day, that's really the secret to packing light for a trip longer than a week.

I have already started a collection of "vaporwear" (I think that's from Seinfeld) for our fall trip to Italy. We will be there, and on a cruise, for 19 nights, and I plan to pack for 4-5 days, with accessories to make things slightly less boring. We will likely do or send out laundry while we're still on land and send it out every 2-3 days onboard. DH has some ever-slightly-worn slacks that are still presentable but will also stay behind. On our trip to the Galapagos Islands last fall, I left behind a jacket (hadn't intended to, but the lining disintegrated), slacks, undies and a top that I wore but decided that I didn't like. DH consented to parting with some T-shirts (I helped the decision-making process by sticking my finger through the fabric), but that was all. I have since decreed that he's not allowed to have more of anything than I do going in either direction.:p

I don't mind popping into a farmacia to get body lotion, shampoo and conditioner. Chances are that I'd be walking by one at some point, anyway, and it's no more than 20 minutes of my day. I happily do that in order to avoid hoisting a heavy suitcase into an overhead bin on a train or waiting an hour for my bag to arrive at baggage claim (or not arrive until the next flight, which cost us a good 4 hours between waiting for it not to show up and then claiming it at MXP the next day).

You bring me back to our last trip to Rome, in 2009. We stayed at a 4-room B&B that was located on the 4th floor (US) of a large building. We were able to ride the elevator with our 20" bags and knapsacks. Another couple who arrived the day after we did had to go up in shifts. By the time they were finished, the manager's office was overflowing with their luggage. He asked us if they were moving to Rome.:p

On our first trip, we had small but very heavy bags that we had to heave into the overhead on the planes and trains. Doing so once cured me of the need to pack that much heavy stuff ever again.

I have already started a collection of "vaporwear" (I think that's from Seinfeld) for our fall trip to Italy. We will be there, and on a cruise, for 19 nights, and I plan to pack for 4-5 days, with accessories to make things slightly less boring. We will likely do or send out laundry while we're still on land and send it out every 2-3 days onboard. DH has some ever-slightly-worn slacks that are still presentable but will also stay behind. On our trip to the Galapagos Islands last fall, I left behind a jacket (hadn't intended to, but the lining disintegrated), slacks, undies and a top that I wore but decided that I didn't like. DH consented to parting with some T-shirts (I helped the decision-making process by sticking my finger through the fabric), but that was all. I have since decreed that he's not allowed to have more of anything than I do going in either direction.:p

Had to laugh, because I do the same thing to my DH. We have a 15 nt TA followed by 3 nts in Europe coming up later this month -- and I have packed numerous things for my DH and myself that will not be coming back home with us: T-shirts, socks, undies, even some pants. Sailing over we can take as much as we want because we live only 1/2 hour from the port and a family member is driving us there. By the time we get to our end port in Europe, those "disposable" clothes will be tossed. Likewise, after many similar cruise/land European sailings, I've gotten very good at predicting just the right amount of toiletries to get us through the entire trip but without having to bring anything back home. The electronics and shoes do command a lot of space and weight in the bags, but are absolute necessities to us. In addition to shoes that we need for the shipboard activities, we always pack two pairs of good port walking shoes for each of us. BTW, we have done these trips with just a 21" rolling bag and shoulder tote each. We don't like to check luggage if we are flying to our destination. But, again, because we live right here and also have a nonstop flight home, this time we are each taking a 24 or 25" rolling bag (which we'll check), shoulder totes and Rick Steves Civitia daybags containing our travel pillows, travel blankets, eyemasks, noise-cancelling headphones and other airplane items (travel packets of moisturizer, etc.).

Remember that scene in 'Up in the Air' where George Clooney throws away and repacks his colleague's suitcase in the airport?

Out went the neck pillow and the bed pillow and...........

I do bring along the neck pillow. I loop it around the strap on my tote or corssbody or whatever the small personal item is. It's not counted as a carry on. If we are doing a car trip I bring a bed pillow, but when I fly, no way.

All of my chargers plus my GoPower battery fit into a sandwich sized zip lock.

For me, the biggest key is versatility. If an item of clothing doesn't have at least two uses, it doesn't come along.

You need to test how much luggage you can PERSONALLY handle. As Cruisemom said, do NOT allow anyone else to handle your bags on/off a train!!! Only do this if you are traveling with someone…

See how much you can lift over your head in your luggage - that's going to tell you how much you can put in the overhead of the train. Take all your luggage and go for a walk in the neighborhood - see how easy it is to manage for a few blocks. That will set you up to see how you will handle the luggage trekking through the train stations, over streets to your hotels, to the port shuttle, etc.

I travel solo, so I am very astute at packing and sizes of luggage that I can handle myself for any particular trip. I'm perfectly fine with having to make a quick stop in a store to pick up something I need but forgot, or if I run out of something. I've never had a problem finding a farmacia for items, and I've been happy to run into Sephoras and other cosmetics places in my wanderings around the centers of town. I'm still using the eye creme and BB creme that I picked up at the Kiehl's shop over by the Spanish Steps back in May...