$10 Charge for Character Dining?

We're sailing Oasis tomorrow and I have never seen the character dining option under on board activities. Only flowrider, ship tour & Barbie experience. I've been on several times and it was never there.

Hhhmmm, wonder why?

It's a rip off.....

Funny, lets see, 60% of cruisers are 1st timers, not a rip off

40% are repeaters, of which 50% of those are about once every 3 years, not a rip off. Looks like a majority to me

Oh, forgot cc cruisers on rci, its so small you can't count em:D

Oh, heck no! So $40 for our family to eat the same food as everyone else in the dining room? Come on. I don't understand why this is any different from any other show. There are no charges for the ice show or main theater shows, but $10/person for a character breakfast? Oh well. We will do our regular breakfast that day instead. This is the sort of nickel and dime bologna that just kills me.

Funny, lets see, 60% of cruisers are 1st timers, not a rip off

40% are repeaters, of which 50% of those are about once every 3 years, not a rip off. Looks like a majority to me

Oh, forgot cc cruisers on rci, its so small you can't count em:D

MDR Breakfast = Included in cruise fare

MDR Breakfast with a few people in animal costumes = included in cruise fare, until now.

Now for a family of four it will cost $20-$40 for that same exact breakfast that was previously included in the cruise fare.

I haven't got the first clue what your round number percentage breakdown has to do with anything. :confused:

So I'll call a spade a spade; this is a rip off. Why? Not just the cost. RCI is deliberately putting parents into a bit of an awkward situation by creating an, ostensibly, child focused attraction and putting the parent in the position of saying "No" and being the bad guy on vacation. Or for $20-$40, ya know, no big rip off, the parents can suck it up and take the kids.

Being able to afford a multi-thousand dollar vacation implies someone can spend another $20-$40 for just about any "extra", but it doesn't mean they should when the same thing was previously included in the cruise fare. Some of just resent the fact that once we are on board everything is charge this, charge that; it's not a relaxing feeling for myself, and lately it's starting to make an all-inclusive resort seem more appealing.

Like I said, it only takes ONE person to show up and pay for RCI to generate revenue off this.

$40 for a family of four to eat food that is already included in our cruise price is NOT a NOMINAL fee :mad:. DH and I attended one of these character breakfasts while we were on Oasis in 2012. It was fun. We are booked with our family (two boys ages 8 and 10) on Allure over Thanksgiving. I was hoping to get ressies for more than one character breakfast since my DS has food allergies, and we're pretty much stuck dining in the MDR for breakfast. I'm really sad that they've decided to charge for this :(. They hooked us with kids' sail free, and now they're going to nickel and dime us for family and kid centered activities. What's next? Charging for kids' club?!-- Wait I can see it coming-- they won't charge for being in the club-- they will charge for some craft/project they are making in the club-- "Your child can color his own t-shirt for the NOMINAL fee of $10."-- Who wants to bet that more kid-centered "nominal fees" are on their way after so many families have booked with KSF?! I'm not impressed, Royal.

I agree. Most of my family really enjoyed this on our last cruise (my 2 year old was terrified). But the 2 year old is now 4 and over his fear of "mascot" like costumes and we were all looking forward to doing it again in a couple of months. In fact, they asked if we could go more than once.

Now I get to tell them that not only will we not be doing it twice, we won't be doing it all. They'll understand, but it's too bad.

I think this is ridiculous! Not cool RCI, not cool.

We enjoyed it on Oasis last year, and like others, we were waiting for it to appear for our May 4th sailing. I see now why it was delayed.

Now that it will be another charge, we won't go. It simply was not worth the extra 10.00 per person. I would have to see a big upgrade in the show/appearances for it to be worth a charge.

My kids were looking forward to it, even though they are older (11-15). Their reaction was: "that sucks! we'll just watch from the other side of the dining room then"

I have e-mailed the Administrator of rest. operations from the food and beverage dept. to express my feelings. I suggest everyone e-mail someone to tell them we don't like this change. Might not do any good, but, we have to try.

We did the Character breakfast just last November on Liberty of the Seas, it was enjoyable but I definitely will not pay $40.00 for my family ( 2 adults and 2 kids over 10) to do it again. The interactions were very brief and as others have mentioned there are character photo ops all over the ship that are free. I'm so glad we were able to have the Character breakfast experience while it was free. I am beginning to see the value that we enjoyed in cruising slowly diminish, and that's sad. I hope Royal will not be using this as a trial to begin "upcharging" all of the other activities we enjoy ( rock wall, ice skating etc.). We enjoy cruising but as the value in it decreases we will explore other vacation options, especially now that the kids are older.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Very disappointing to hear. I wish I knew no one would pay it so it would be a big flop. But clearly people are willing to pay for things like Johnny Rockets, cupcakes and such.

We had such a great time on Allure at the Character Breakfasts that we went all 3 mornings so we could see the different characters. No way we would paid $50 each for that privelage. The only reason we pay for Disney character meals is it is a chance to see characters with no lines. Dreamworks characters just don't have that same appeal/draw.

Now, I can absolutely understand if they want to charge a "no show" fee. I would have no problem with that at all.

Maybe that is why the are charging the adults for breakfast to keep the ones that do not have children from going. Leave it for parents with children.

But they are charging anyone over 5. So if you're not a preschooler, then you're not free.

Brandonclan-- Can you post the email address that you emailed? I would like to send one out.

But they are charging anyone over 5. So if you're not a preschooler, then you're not free.

Brandonclan-- Can you post the email address that you emailed? I would like to send one out.

Here ya go.......

Kathleen ( Kat ) Truscello Administrator, Restaurant Operations Specialty Dining Administrator Food & Beverage Operations Fax: ( 305 )-539-4205 Email: RCLDining@rccl.com

KTruscello@rccl.com

We also sent one to:

agoldstein@rccl.com

Edited by Brandonclan

Okay, really RCCL? It does seem that they are adding a charge for EVERYTHING. I guess supply/demand is up and they can do it.

I guess I will be paying the fee since I was already planning to take the kids. Shows are already open for my Dec sailing on AOS, but will this be available at the 60 day mark?

I think whoever said "as long as one person pays the fee, RCCL is ahead" is exactly right.

It's not like the new $1 increase at Johnny Rockets, where by not going, the cruise line would lose $25 from my family that we would have spent before the increase.

In this case, we never paid anything before, so if we don't go, RCCL is exactly where they started.

And . . . the sheer fact that it costs almost twice what Johnny Rockets costs really irritates me.

Edited by PattyW

Wow, this was a shock and disappointment.

I have been pumping up our August Freedom cruise to my 11 yo and 9 yo who love characters telling them we will have breakfast with Shrek. Now I have to pay $40 to keep that promise. :mad:

$40 is not a ton of money - but it was included in my cruise fare when I booked. If there are a lot of no shows you should have to reserve and pay a small fee if you don't show.

Wow, this was a shock and disappointment.

I have been pumping up our August Freedom cruise to my 11 yo and 9 yo who love characters telling them we will have breakfast with Shrek. Now I have to pay $40 to keep that promise. :mad:

$40 is not a ton of money - but it was included in my cruise fare when I booked. If there are a lot of no shows you should have to reserve and pay a small fee if you don't show.

Also, at the time you booked, on their website, it does say that Characters breakfast is included in your cruise fare. Thus, for them to take it away now, would that be considered misleading advertising or a breach of contract?

Imagine the uproar they would cause if they now wants to charge $10 each time you want to dine at the Main Dining room for lunch or dinner, when historically and when people booked, it has always been included in the cruise fare.

Edited by William W

:mad::mad::mad:

I know it's hard for some people to say no to their children. But the Best thing everyone can do is boycott. That's the only Language Corporate knows.

I agree but for the few that boycott there will be a few that pay

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app