$10 Charge for Character Dining?

My advise to you would be to skip it even if it is free. I am not sure you would enjoy it. You might end up feeling awkward because this event is really geared for kids.

I would disagree with that as my wife and I went before we had our son because she loves the character breakfasts from Disney and really wanted to go to this one. Yes, it is geared towards kids but we didn't feel awkward at all and all of the characters and their "handlers" were more than friendly and I got pictures of my wife with all of the characters.

Also, I believe there were five different characters when we went.

However, with the new $10 fee...I don't think its worth it.

I would hope that with the implementation of this "user fee", the experience would be upgraded. Two characters is pretty weak.

The Disney theme park character meals are pretty good about letting the children have ample time with the characters with a minimal wait; but you're going to pay between $50 and $20 per person for the experience.

But at least at Disney you are not paying twice for the same breakfast. Unlike a specialty restaurant where you get, well, special food, here you are paying for already included food. RCI has gone a little overboard with this one.

My advise to you would be to skip it even if it is free. I am not sure you would enjoy it. You might end up feeling awkward because this event is really geared for kids.

Did not feel awkward at all and they played to the adults just as much as to the children. There were many adults on their own without children.

We had 45 adults at the Dreamwork Breakfast on Allure in December 2012....no children with us and we had great fun :D

We had four adults over 30 in our party and we went. Didn't feel awkward at all. It was 4-5 characters. I stand in line to have my picture taken with characters at Disney too. Just because you aren't a child doesn't mean you can't enjoy it.

We are traveling now to get on Oasis tomorrow. Our TA booked it and all our papers say no charge. I just checked online and it's gone. I know you can't change anything since we embark tomorrow but everything else is at least still listed. Interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Are you able to eat in the MDR for breakfast without partaking in the character breakfast? Or is the whole dining room the character breakfast on those morning?

On the Allure it was one side/section on Deck 3. Characters on one side, buffet in middle, regular breakfast on the right. There was nothing to close it off.

Thanks for the heads up. Our Character Breakfast reservation for our Apr 27th cruise has disappeared from our reservations list and this option is not available to book anymore....:confused:

Did you have a printout showing the reservation? If so bring it with you and you should be fine. I doubt they will charge you.

We were on Oasis last year and there 8 of us all adults. My parents' friends loved it!

I think that if you pre-book the breakfast and not show up, by all means charge the $10, as it's not fair to those who may wanted to go but couldn't because it's completely booked up. Kinda like a doctor's office where if you don't show up, they charge you $$.

Disney does this with all their restaurant that require a reservation, if you don't show up they charge he fee to your credit card.

Too bad they're charging for the breakfast now, especially if the breakfast menu is the same as the MDR menu.

But at least at Disney you are not paying twice for the same breakfast. Unlike a specialty restaurant where you get, well, special food, here you are paying for already included food. RCI has gone a little overboard with this one.

I think the fee is for close-up access to the characters; not so much the food. But I understand the point of not liking an additional charge.

We are two seniors with no children.

We have gone to the Character Breakfast on three different ships, Oasis, Liberty, and Allure, and enjoyed it very much.

The first time we had a table for two, and the other times, we sat at larger tables with other adults.

It was a fun way to start the day, and we got wonderful pictures.

I'm glad we went when we did, since we are not willing to pay a fee for this.

We will choose to enjoy the included breakfast in the MDR, and take pictures of the characters around the ship.

Edited by relaxatsea

I agree! What's next? Charging us for the Ice Show, Chicago, Mama Mia, comedy club, etc?:p

NCL was the first to introduce For Fee dining, and they copied.

NCL charges for their Characters breakfast. RCCL copied.

NCL now charges for some of the entainment, and people are paying, so

I would not be surprise if RCCL eventually follows.

After all, don't they scan you Seapass card before you get into the shows?

This is disappointing. It was a nice freebie perk for our family. No way am I spending $30 (that's with one adult only) for breakfast in the MDR when you're not even sure which characters you will get to see.

I had been patiently waiting for our June cruise to open reservations for Character Breakfasts. All the other specialty restaurant options and cupcake classes had been available for weeks and weeks.

Reservations are still not available for our cruise.

NCL was the first to introduce For Fee dining, and they copied.

NCL charges for their Characters breakfast. RCCL copied.

NCL now charges for some of the entainment, and people are paying, so

I would not be surprise if RCCL eventually follows.

After all, don't they scan you Seapass card before you get into the shows?

I believe the entertainment you refer to on NCL with a charge has dinner included, so basically the same as paying for a specialty restaurant.

Bill

This is disappointing. It was a nice freebie perk for our family. No way am I spending $30 (that's with one adult only) for breakfast in the MDR when you're not even sure which characters you will get to see.

I had been patiently waiting for our June cruise to open reservations for Character Breakfasts. All the other specialty restaurant options and cupcake classes had been available for weeks and weeks.

Reservations are still not available for our cruise.

It will open up shortly. The delay was clearly due to the fact that they had to change it within their system so they could begin charging people. My sail date is May 10th and it just opened today despite all other reservations opening up in early February.

I realize everyone is angry right now.

Give it a couple weeks and most will accept it.

Saying it is a good thing because it keeps the "overall price" down.

And $10 really is a fair price and not that much(especially to the typical RC cruiser).

That's the true "Blind Loyalty" we have come to from RC cruisers ..

$10 Please............

Edited by matj2000

I realize everyone is angry right now.

Give it a couple weeks and most will accept it.

Saying it is a good thing because it keeps the "overall price" down.

And $10 really is a fair price and not that much(especially to the typical RC cruiser).

That's the true "Blind Loyalty" we have come to know...

It's a rip off...but as long as people accept it, the cruise line will charge it. People get that "It's just a few more bucks, I spent thousands already" mentality. This isn't a new port stop. It's not new innovations. It's not even an upgraded quality of food. It's the same meat, more gravy. And as long as ONE paying customer turns up, RCI is ahead of where they are right now...

We have taken our kids to these in the past. They really enjoyed posing with the characters. Our kids are 10, 10 (twins) and 6 now. Since it's only free for kids under 6, that means it would cost us $50 to go to one in the future. We'd enjoy going, but it's just not worth $50 when I think of what else we could use that $50 on either on the ship or at a port. No more character breakfasts for us.:(