$10 Charge for Character Dining?

Hopefully they will change it up a little and add to the breakfast. Makes it easier to justify the new charge if it's not the same program. The kiddos will probably get some cheesy souvenir that will break or get lost 5 minutes later! :)

Yes, parents will often pay to keep a child happy, but in order for that to happen in this case RCCL has to actually bother to tell parents which characters will be at which breakfast. My son wants to see one set of Dreamworks characters; he couldn't care less about the others. We're booked in May- so we're lucky enough to get the fee. Even my eight year old is practical enough to realize this arrangement makes no sense, particularly when the characters are accessible elsewhere on the ship.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We will be on the FOS in August and have a DD7 and DS 13. My DD probably would have liked it by my son is too old. I have no intentions of paying for something that they said was include when I paid for the cruise. I would rather spend that money on shore exclusions that we never experienced then a character breakfast you can have every time you go to Orlando. Can you image if disney or universal took reservation and made you paid for a character breakfast and then said no it's $10 more pp. when you went to do your online check in. That's what they are doing here when you booked and they said character breakfast included and then you go to actual go to see when you can take your family to the breakfast and it like no sorry extra $10 pp. This is why I will not take another NCL cruise. I did not to be nickeled and dimmed all the time. My husband and I have taken three royal cruises before the kids were born, we have only taken Disney cruise with the kids. We felt they were old enough to come back to RCL with them. Hopefully they will not start nickeling and dimming you for everything because I am Disneyed out but we will just go back if this is a sign of things to come. Was really hoping for Oasis or Quantum 8/15 but the mouse will do. :D

We will be on the FOS in August and have a DD7 and DS 13. My DD probably would have liked it by my son is too old. I have no intentions of paying for something that they said was include when I paid for the cruise. I would rather spend that money on shore exclusions that we never experienced then a character breakfast you can have every time you go to Orlando. Can you image if disney or universal took reservation and made you paid for a character breakfast and then said no it's $10 more pp. when you went to do your online check in. That's what they are doing here when you booked and they said character breakfast included and then you go to actual go to see when you can take your family to the breakfast and it like no sorry extra $10 pp. This is why I will not take another NCL cruise. I did not to be nickeled and dimmed all the time. My husband and I have taken three royal cruises before the kids were born, we have only taken Disney cruise with the kids. We felt they were old enough to come back to RCL with them. Hopefully they will not start nickeling and dimming you for everything because I am Disneyed out but we will just go back if this is a sign of things to come. Was really hoping for Oasis or Quantum 8/15 but the mouse will do. :D

I share your sentiment.

What they charges for Quantum is about the same as what Disney charges for Fantasy. Having been on both lines with kids, if they are price similar, I would definitely pick Disney over RCCL.

After all, from an adult stand point, in terms of food and services, I found Disney provides the closest resemblance to what RCCL offers in the 90s. Besides, the kids programs at Disney is a lot more organized as compare to the Dreamworks experience that RCCL offers.

This is a big time bummer. I have been trying and trying to add this to our reservation on the Allure of the Seas in May. I still can't find it on their website. I don't want my kids to miss out on it, but at the same time it doesn't seem like it would be worth paying $10 a person for. Do you pay for it when you make your reservation or when you get on the ship? I have never reserved anything that costs money before.

Just curious as to how you felt nickeled and dimed on NCL and how it was different on RCI?

Haven't been on RCI for a while but will be going on The Oasis in November and just did 2 NCL cruises.

Bill

This is a big time bummer. I have been trying and trying to add this to our reservation on the Allure of the Seas in May. I still can't find it on their website. I don't want my kids to miss out on it, but at the same time it doesn't seem like it would be worth paying $10 a person for. Do you pay for it when you make your reservation or when you get on the ship? I have never reserved anything that costs money before.

I found it listed under onboard activities. You provide a credit card number to be charged at the time you make a reservation. I believe you can change your mind up to four days before the cruise and cancel it.

Jane (from the duo Dick and Jane)

Chicago, Illinois

I posted something about it on their Facebook page and they said the added fee was to "better manage the high demand of this incredibly popular offering" and that the menu will be staying the same. I understand wanting to do something about the demand, but AT LEAST give us something worth paying extra for! Special food, sodas, MIMOSAS (for parents only lol) etc. I think if there is such a high demand for it, why not offer it more days? Why start charging for it? This is one step above having to pay for a cheeseburger in the windjammer to me. And speaking of the Windjammer, it looks like that is where we will be having our breakfast every morning now! I will be trying the INCLUDED Johnny Rockets breakfast, though! Unless they start charging for that too!

And speaking of the Windjammer, it looks like that is where we will be having our breakfast every morning now!

As of now you can still have MDR Breakfast for free, just not the character part (which is a song and dance and a picture opportunity). You can also go to WJ and Johnny Rockets like you said. There is also Park Cafe (our favorite for breakfast) and Solarium Bistro (if you want healthier options + good views) that are free of charge as well.

In regards to the $10pp charge for the character interaction and RCI's double-speak explanation I believe the word many of us are looking for is : Odious.

At least us die hard disney cruise line fans can add free character breakfast along with free soda to the list of DCL benefits and justify in our heads paying many more thousands $$$$ for it over royal ;) lol

I think we should all tell RCCL that we are tired of the so-called "nickel & diming" and ask them to raise our cruise rates across the board to cover Johnny Rockets, character dining, etc.

The price of a balcony room on the Oasis for the week of November 22nd is $2,374.00. The price of a comparable cruise on Disney is $5,151.00.

I share your sentiment.

What they charges for Quantum is about the same as what Disney charges for Fantasy. Having been on both lines with kids, if they are price similar, I would definitely pick Disney over RCCL.

After all, from an adult stand point, in terms of food and services, I found Disney provides the closest resemblance to what RCCL offers in the 90s. Besides, the kids programs at Disney is a lot more organized as compare to the Dreamworks experience that RCCL offers.

Agreed. Disney offers the closest thing to an early 90's cruise experience. They still make an attempt to learn your name, and seem attentive and caring. Give you little extras you aren't expecting, i.e. (Pirate bandanas, chocolates, cups with names on them for the kids in MDR on the FIRST day) The price is also reflective of early 90's cruising albeit a little cheaper. The kids program on Disney is obviously on a whole different level than RCI which is expected as it is their specialty.

I think we should all tell RCCL that we are tired of the so-called "nickel & diming" and ask them to raise our cruise rates across the board to cover Johnny Rockets, character dining, etc.

The price of a balcony room on the Oasis for the week of November 22nd is $2,374.00. The price of a comparable cruise on Disney is $5,151.00.

There isn't always such a big price gap between DCL and royal. I follow costs closely and disney start cheaper and increase towards sail date where royal often has price drops nearer to sailing. I searched the opening price for the nov 22nd cruise you mentioned and for a family of 4 a balcony on disney the price has gone up almost $2000 since booking opened. Which means the starting price would be much closer to the Oasis cruise, you just have to get in early with disney.

Just curious as to how you felt nickeled and dimed on NCL and how it was different on RCI?

Haven't been on RCI for a while but will be going on The Oasis in November and just did 2 NCL cruises.

Bill

My first was the NCL Gem out of NYC a few years ago with my in-laws and the not so good started with lunch as soon as we got on board. The food was awful even the lettuce was wilted and brown not a good way to start off the cruise. We tought dinner would be better giving them the benefit of the doubt and maybe the new supplies had not made it the MDR for lunch sure enough dinner was awful. My mother in law who can eat anything (she a preschool teacher-been around every germ and seen it all) actual got physically sick. The next night we would not go back to the MDR so we went to a specialty restaurant and sure enough it was like night and day. It was as if they made the food in the MDR so bad you had to go the the other specialty restaurants. We went to speak to the customer service about it just because we could not fine any other options open that was free of charge to try other then MDR, the response to us was these are your only options on this, next. I said OK what about room service, sorry charge. So we paid and made the best of our vacation. The T.V. did not work expect for paid movies or stations. I had to pay for cups of ice from the bartender on there own private island when my father in law fell and needed it, even after I told him this is what it was for. Went to Customer service afterwards and that was only because first aid was never called to help him after I asked several times and my husband had to carry him back to the ship to see the doctor. I totally did excepted to pay for the doctor. They could have care less again. We forged on and forgot about it because we were on vacation. He broke his leg by the way. We were charged for beach towels everyday and everyday I would say we do not have any beach towels. I had bought my own very large bath sheets from home for the pool and the beach since we drove to port. Look I have cruised RCL, Celebrity, Princess and DCL I know I have to pay for things when I get on board. I don't mind paying for drinks (my drink bills could pay for another cruise when we cruise without the kids) the spa, a first run movie on television, photos and a specialty restaurant once or twice a cruise. What I don't expect is the food being so inedible that I am forced to eat at the specialty restaurant everyday. I don't expect being charged for basic television, ice, towels and for plain coffee being delivered to the cabin (I am not talking about tipping, I always tip). I was not the only one who felt this way on this sailing as their were many people saying these very things at desk every morning and every night as we past by. Being a glutton for punishment I thought maybe it was just the sailing and tried again this past summer on the NCL Breakaway with friends and what happened on that cruise is a whole another story, but Yes I felt nickel and dimed that time too. :eek:

There isn't always such a big price gap between DCL and royal. I follow costs closely and disney start cheaper and increase towards sail date where royal often has price drops nearer to sailing. I searched the opening price for the nov 22nd cruise you mentioned and for a family of 4 a balcony on disney the price has gone up almost $2000 since booking opened. Which means the starting price would be much closer to the Oasis cruise, you just have to get in early with disney.

This is so true booked all my Disney cruise the day the rates come out. I saved $$$. Waiting for Summer 2015 dates and ports and saw the teaser that came out today. Disney or Rcl? We will have to see what the rates and ports look like when they are released. Best way to save money with DCL book early!

So sad to hear this. We did the breakfast on our cruise last October and my 3 & 5yo loved it, however it's certainly not worth the money for us to do it again. The food was nothing special & the character interaction, while fun for the kids, isn't something I'd consider worth the extra fee.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I was told the reasoning behind the charge was too many people would book and then not show up.

We booked, then spent the entire three weeks prior to the cruise ill, and got on board utterly exhausted. We called to cancel the night before the breakfast, and we were told "just don't show up, it's OK". They didn't cancel it. They just told us to not go.

We are being punished for something their OWN people caused.

Then again, we did have a second one booked (I thought the experience was going to be SO great that DS would want to do it more than once) and we went to that, and it was just awful. Horrible food, really bad service. "Are you ready to order?" "Some menus might be a good start." Server walks off grumbling and starting to yell at a coworker... We had to go up to Windjammer after the breakfast to actually get some food that tasted good.

Can you image if disney or universal took reservation and made you paid for a character breakfast and then said no it's $10 more pp. when you went to do your online check in.

Yes I can.

DCL: booked a Palo brunch, there was a price change in between booking and sailing. They charged me the higher fee. They shouldn't have, but they did.

Not the same so I won't go into it, but runDisney just tried to do something totally messed up and only backed down because of the massive upswelling of discontent. The policy will be changed for races that haven't yet had registration happen (announced today, and there's a BIG race being sold tomorrow, though there was actually already pre-registration last week), but it took a lot to get them to back down.

So I can totally imagine Disney doing such a thing.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually heard back from RCI about this one (I sent an email a few weeks ago). They have decided to postpone the charge until Sept. 1, meaning that if you book the dining before Sept. 1, no matter when your sail date is, you will not have to pay the charge. We are on the Thanksgiving Allure sailing, and the lady I spoke with assured me that the dining for our sailing will be up prior to Sept. 1. Anyhow, it's not a complete victory, but it does help many of us who booked prior to the charge being announced.

I actually heard back from RCI about this one (I sent an email a few weeks ago). They have decided to postpone the charge until Sept. 1, meaning that if you book the dining before Sept. 1, no matter when your sail date is, you will not have to pay the charge. We are on the Thanksgiving Allure sailing, and the lady I spoke with assured me that the dining for our sailing will be up prior to Sept. 1. Anyhow, it's not a complete victory, but it does help many of us who booked prior to the charge being announced.

That's great news. I emailed the executive offices and heard back from someone who told me that as of last week, they were in conversations with whatever department decides on the fee. They were trying to get some people grandfathered in, but as of the time of our conversation, the department wasn't budging. She told me they were going to keep working with them and that I would get a second call back by the end of next week. I hope I hear the same thing as you. My cruise is in 70 odd days and character dining has not yet opened for booking.

Is it any different then any other pay venue. When Ben & Jerry's or Johnny Rockets, or specialty restaurants or Paid specialty coffee came up most people said it's OKAY. The people who use that venue should pay for it and not everyone else. I see this the same way. Soon the cruise fare will include a cabin and meals at the buffet and/or MDR and nothing else. Isn't some line now charging for tickets for a headliner show? I read about that and people thought what a great idea, only those that want to see that show will have to pay for it. It was a slippery slope when the cruise starting nickel and dimeing us with too much complacency that is catching up.

As soon as everyone gets accustomed to being charged a fee for an ice cream or "premium oj" or Johnny Rockets, they come up with another small fee that "only impacts those that choose" that particular charge. Ridiculous....and it doesn't affect me. We don't have small children but they have gotten to the point of charging for every.single.item.they.can.get.away.with.

Thanks for the update! I just went and booked our reservation for the character breakfast! I might as well do it while it is still free! I do not mind there being things that the cruise line charges extra for. I especially understand them charging for specialty restaurants like Johnny Rockets and Ben and Jerrys. But to charge for a breakfast that is normally free only because the characters will be there is ridiculous. If you are going to charge then there needs to be something extra there besides the characters. They are around the ship for free all the time.