$10 Charge for Character Dining?

We are sailing with our 7.5 month old and I was really looking forward to this as something that MIGHT interest her. However with DH, myself, and a set of grandparents - it'll cost $40 for us to see her reaction - and it may be a total bust. Ughh. When it was free it was a no brainer to go. I know just 2 of us could go, but if she loves it, I feel they will have missed out. :(

I have never done a character breakfast. I have read all the opinions expressed on this site. I don't know if it will be worth the additional cost, but I am registered and I don't intend to cancel. I doubt our family will be alone at this activity. If it doesn't fulfill my expectations, I guess I won't do it again.

Dick and Jane

Chicago, Illinois

I registered for every one of the Character Breakfasts on our next cruise. Is it not like any of the other "shows" where they give away the tickets if people don't make it in early?

I could care less if they start charging for it. It is just something extra to do for my daughter...I wouldn't pay for it, but it wouldn't hurt my heart to find something else to do.

Of all the changes RCCL has made in the past few years, this is the worst. They are creating a family atmosphere and then charging for a simple basic item. They know for a child to experience the breakfast, parents, siblings, grandparents will need to attend. The breakfast is the same as the rest of the dining room, so folks will have to pay to see the characters. What is next, a fee to see the parade. A fee for other character activities? If the fee is because folks make a reservation and don't show up, give away the reservation after 5 minutes, sort of like what is done for show. Perhaps limit reservations to once a cruise so those who want to attend, can have a chance. Or, if the breakfast is wildly popular, designate a larger area in the MDR and let anyone sit in the character area who wants.

Shame on you RCCL.

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

I agree..there is little or no extra extra expense for RC to put this on..you simply ordered off the menu, two or three characters circulated around to each of the tables for photo ops and a few of the waiters and the characters sang a song. That is it. When you start charging for something that was previously free, is it upsetting...

What is next...charging for the ice show? Certainly that costs more to put on.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

RCCL if you read these boards......... This is a bad move!

M

This is a fantastic move!!!

Afterall those Setups are not free for RCI, they have to pay license fees for the use of the caracters, there´s costumes to be made and maintained, there´s People to be paid, etc.....

Why should I Offset part of the cost of this with my cruise fare. Let the People who want to use it pay for it.

If they can make Revenue from this because parents can´t say no their Kids - GREAT !!!!

I also like the idea of Kids activities in the Kids Club at an extra Charge. Keep the Basic Kids Club free though, as we don´t want the Kids running the ship, it´s better to have them locked away in the Club.

Í shall email AG about this great idea.

I´m not opposed to the idea of charging for other stuff like waverunner, rock climbing, zip line, etc. All stuff that is optional, cost Money and should be paid for by those using it.

Afterall those Setups are not free for RCI, they have to pay license fees for the use of the caracters, there´s costumes to be made and maintained, there´s People to be paid, etc.....

Why should I Offset part of the cost of this with my cruise fare. Let the People who want to use it pay for it.

If they can make Revenue from this because parents can´t say no their Kids - GREAT !!!!

I also like the idea of Kids activities in the Kids Club at an extra Charge. Keep the Basic Kids Club free though, as we don´t want the Kids running the ship, it´s better to have them locked away in the Club.

I´m not opposed to the idea of charging for other stuff like waverunner, rock climbing, zip line, etc. All stuff that is optional, cost Money and should be paid for by those using it.

Following your logic, let's start charging for main dinning room food or each time they come in to clean your cabin. After there are people who does not ned these services. Wait, I think they tried this concept at Easy Cruise, Google them up, and see their cruise are so popular that they are no longer in business.

There seems to be a high demand for this activity, so I think it makes sense to charge for it (like they started doing with Johnny Rockets when it got too crowded). But I think $10 pp is a lot for 'character greeting'. I would probably make it $5pp for ages 3 and older.

And the bean counters probably went over this pricing method every which way and determined that the $10 fee was the most appropriate for whatever reason. I'm sure there is Ivy-League based research behind it.

Edited by marci22

You know Paulxyz2004 maybe onto something!

Why should I pay for the nightly entertainment when I don't go. The Ice Show should charge admission, as should the Love and Marriage Show, and all the other shows that I don't go to. Someone has to pay for the stage crew, the producers, the performers, the headliners, and etc. Royal Caribbean should become the Allegiant Air of the cruise lines.

They will be the first, instead of following the cruise industry standard. Think of it you pay for what you use. Royal Caribbean will follow suit and lower their cruise fares!! Oh Boy!! I can see it now!! No more complaints on cost! Everybody will be happy!

But what will included in the cruise fare? Only getting you from point A, point B or wherever. Allegiant Air of the Seas pay for what you use. Love it!

NOT!

We did the character breakfast 3 weeks ago on the Freedom when it was "free". We had booked to do it again later in the week but chose to just eat in the regular dining room section where the service and food are much better. My kids walked over to say hi to the characters during breakfast but sat in the regular section with us. How are they going to charge $20-$30-$40 etc a table when people 30ft away are not paying a fee? That seems ridiculous to me.

Also, it doesn't seem to make sense to pay to see the characters when really you see them every day all over the ship. It was neat to eat there and see them dance but not worth any extra fee - especially when you can see them from the regular dining room section.

Lastly, on our cruise nobody asked for our cabin number or asked if we had prebooked, they just sat us.

Following your logic, let's start charging for main dinning room food or each time they come in to clean your cabin. After there are people who does not ned these services. Wait, I think they tried this concept at Easy Cruise, Google them up, and see their cruise are so popular that they are no longer in business.

No Need to Google easycruise for me. I´m well Aware of their Airline, Hotels and cruiseline.

You are right about them no longer being in Business but your comparison is apples to orange;).

Easycruise never even came close to a "classic" cruise ship. Their ship(s) was more on the tiny size compared to todays cruise ships. Extra Charge or not, most amenities you look for on a cruise ship these days were simply missing.

Let´s talk about the cabins. There were only inside cabins on Easycruise one, as they just put in "Plastik boxes" as cabins and regardless if they were actually at the outer hull, no Windows were built in. Cabins had no amenities at all, like may be a closet, a desk, TV, drawer, ..... this had nothing to do with extra payment, it was just not available and there wouldn´t have been room for those things anyway.

They didn´t sell Cruises as in a 7-day itinerary, but the ship circled on a set itinerary and you just booked the nights onboard. In other words, every day was debarkation/embarkation day for them.

They offered Food onboard, but more in the style of fast Food Snacks in a Cafeteria type of Setting. However they never were at sea for Long.

I could go on about this, but you should get the idea about how different they were and I kinda doubt they ever were a competition for the cruise industry.

BTW, I´ve frequently priced them and they weren´t really that cheap. Actually once you priced something like 7 days plus some Basic stuff like maybe a towel in the cabin (once not daily) and the mandatory "end of cruise cleaning fee" I always faced a higher amount than going on a comparable "classic cruise" which had a lot more to offer.

Do you really think they went out of Business because of extra charges?

They just couldn´t compete with the rest of the cruise industry.

Would you also not be opposed to charges for eating in the MDR? Attending shows? Riding the elevator? All of these are optional and cost the cruise line money to operate.

Edited by time4u2go

You know Paulxyz2004 maybe onto something!

Why should I pay for the nightly entertainment when I don't go. The Ice Show should charge admission, as should the Love and Marriage Show, and all the other shows that I don't go to. Someone has to pay for the stage crew, the producers, the performers, the headliners, and etc. Royal Caribbean should become the Allegiant Air of the cruise lines.

They will be the first, instead of following the cruise industry standard. Think of it you pay for what you use. Royal Caribbean will follow suit and lower their cruise fares!! Oh Boy!! I can see it now!! No more complaints on cost! Everybody will be happy!

But what will included in the cruise fare? Only getting you from point A, point B or wherever. Allegiant Air of the Seas pay for what you use. Love it!

NOT!

Welcome to the real world of capitalizm.

You already pay for what you use. If you´d pay just for being transported from A to B there wouldn´t be any different cabin categories. But instead you can get the cruise for a Basic inside cabin fare or the Presidential Suite fare, but you are still going to the same places.

Look at air travel, there´s economy, economy+, Business and first class offered, however everybody gets a seat in the same metal tube and gets transported from A to B in the same amount of time. Just some People Chose to pay for a wider / more copmfortable seat, different Food, Drinks.

Without my Crystal ball I don´t know where cruising will be in ten years, but I expect there to be more pay for stuff and less in the base prize included, but the base fare will be kept at affordable Prices. On Mass market lines that is.

I will always look at the cruise fare as well as any associated cost. THis might be the cost for Internet, photos, bar Service, Food, character breakfast or if they Chose to evening Entertainment, etc.

Putting it all together I will determine if it´s worth it to me or not. Just like I now look at if I´m willing to pay a Price knowingly I will pay for (to me) unnecessary stuff like waverunners, rock climbing walls etc.

You don´t like the extra Charge, don´t pay it´, just like I could decide to stay at home because I don´t like they offer some expensive stuff for free I don´t want to use. It´s called consumer power.

Would you also not be opposed to charges for eating in the MDR? Attending shows? Riding the elevator? All of these are optional and cost the cruise line money to operate.

No I´m not opposed to it in general. Depending on the price scheme I might consider the product I buy is not the one I want anymore and the prize I have to pay is not worth the product anymore.

Liek I´ve stated in my post about easycruise, I have looked into it quite a bit and it never was worth the Price.

If they started to Charge for all Food onboard, I would have a look at what the whole vacation will cost me at the end of the day and make my decision. If they start to Charge for Shows, I will determine if it´s worth for me to go or not - I pay for Entertainment on land as well. Of course just like today already the cruise will have to compete with other vacation Options.

If they Charge for riding the Elevator, I again will make a decision if I´m willing to pay for it and if I´m willing to use the stairs.

I, just like everybody else Need to look at what product we are looking for and if we are willing to pay for it.

The cruiseline on the other side will Need to look at what they can manage to Charge for, what they Need to include and at what Price Overall. They Need to fill ships and maximise their Profit it´s all a matter of what the market bears.

I can see the markets accepting Entertainment charges and they already have accepted charges for Food, I´m not so sure an Elevator Charge would work, but it actually might - who knows.

My documents say "no charge"... Is this for new reservations? My date is April 26, 2014

We are on this sailing too. I reserved this a few weeks ago and it is still showing up as a reservation and still appears to be free for our sailing.

My kids walked over to say hi to the characters during breakfast but sat in the regular section with us. How are they going to charge $20-$30-$40 etc a table when people 30ft away are not paying a fee? That seems ridiculous to me.

Lastly, on our cruise nobody asked for our cabin number or asked if we had prebooked, they just sat us.

I would expect these things to change if the fee is instituted.

This is the start of charging for breakfast in the MDR, mark my words. You only think it's a gouge at families. When they start paying up everyone will have to pay to eat in the MDR for breakfast all the time. Any bets on pricing?

Two ways to look at this; RCI was providing something worth $10 pp and giving it away for free OR RCI is taking what is essentially valueless and seeing how much they can charge people. I subscribe to the second view. I understand RCI has money at stake with licensing agreements, costumes, etc. but those are overhead costs already accounted for in the cruise fare; charging for this breakfast in no way will reduce any one elses cruise price.

This is starting to sound like the Carnival boards; everyone there loves being charged for EVERYTHING because they feel like they can avoid it and just have a cheaper cruise. Yet Carnival fares are going up and are comparable or in excess of RCI many times.

I pay for VALUE. I pay MORE for RCI than for other vacations because of the type of environment. Do I flowride? No. Do I rock climb? No. Do I understand these features exist and my cruise fare pays for the use of them at my discretion? Yes. Am I fine with that? Yes. Why? Because I want to purchase a certain overall vacation product.

This isn't 3rd class steerage passage to the new world, it's a luxury vacation (yes, taking a cruise vacation is absolutely a luxury, even if it is a mid-level line). If RCI wishes to choose it's business plan to one where you can pay a cheap fare to fill the boat and then they charge optional for EVERYTHING I simply have to find another vacation/cruise line that provides to me what is a comfortable and relaxing experience. I don't feel comfortable when I pay an initial entry fee for something and then have to pay for EVERYTHING else. To me that's not value. Others feel differently. Enjoy your end of cruise bills and / or enjoy a mega-cruise ship with tons of amenities you won't use except for the public restrooms and windjammer.

I'm wondering if this is what has prompted the fee?

and it was not crowded with children or adults. I think what might have been happening is people booking it because it was a freebie thinking they might attend and never show up eliminating spots for those that really do want to come.

At the entrance they do have a list of those who had booked and the wait staff cross your name off. We chose the morning of the last full day on Oasis and her list of booked cruisers was not long at all for this particular sailing.

I will always look at the cruise fare as well as any associated cost. THis might be the cost for Internet, photos, bar Service, Food, character breakfast or if they Chose to evening Entertainment, etc.

Putting it all together I will determine if it´s worth it to me or not. Just like I now look at if I´m willing to pay a Price knowingly I will pay for (to me) unnecessary stuff like waverunners, rock climbing walls etc.

You don´t like the extra Charge, don´t pay it´, just like I could decide to stay at home because I don´t like they offer some expensive stuff for free I don´t want to use. It´s called consumer power.

The problem for many of us, is that we booked BEFORE they decided to charge for this breakfast, so, in making our calculation on whether the cruise fare was "worth it or not", we calculated 3 INCLUDED character breakfasts. That's $120 of "nominal fees" for my family of four-- throw the grandparents in, who would have probably also attended, and we're talking about $180 of "nominal fees" that were not included in my original deduction of what this cruise would cost me (and yes, we were planning on attending all the character breakfasts-- we have to eat in the MDR anyways b/c of my DS's allergies).

There is a bait and switch going on here. It is not an honest business practice on RCCL's part.

How would you feel if you booked a cruise where MDR meals were included, and then RCCL decided it would charge $10 pp to eat in the MDR for any meal? There would be a public outcry. But because this only affects families, and it only affects three meals on the cruise, people think we should just stomach the extra cost. If they want to charge for the character breakfast, then fine. That's their choice. I think it's a bad choice, but its their prerogative, none the less. BUT, they should only start charging for people who booked their cruises AFTER the change in price. Those of us who booked before should receive the breakfast for free.

The problem for many of us, is that we booked BEFORE they decided to charge for this breakfast, so, in making our calculation on whether the cruise fare was "worth it or not", we calculated 3 INCLUDED character breakfasts. That's $120 of "nominal fees" for my family of four-- throw the grandparents in, who would have probably also attended, and we're talking about $180 of "nominal fees" that were not included in my original deduction of what this cruise would cost me (and yes, we were planning on attending all the character breakfasts-- we have to eat in the MDR anyways b/c of my DS's allergies).

There is a bait and switch going on here. It is not an honest business practice on RCCL's part.

How would you feel if you booked a cruise where MDR meals were included, and then RCCL decided it would charge $10 pp to eat in the MDR for any meal? There would be a public outcry. But because this only affects families, and it only affects three meals on the cruise, people think we should just stomach the extra cost. If they want to charge for the character breakfast, then fine. That's their choice. I think it's a bad choice, but its their prerogative, none the less. BUT, they should only start charging for people who booked their cruises AFTER the change in price. Those of us who booked before should receive the breakfast for free.

Yep....I agree.

I have not received a reply to either one of my e-mails. I mentioned that it was included for free when I booked then changed, but like other policies, they change them midstream and don't care what we think.