$10 Charge for Character Dining?

I'm not happy about hearing this either. My family was counting on doing this to begin with. We have to save for quite some time to sail on RCI and at $40 just to see a few characters is ridiculous. I highly doubt that all of a sudden, as of May 1, it's now costing RCI more to host this than it does in April 2014. It's simply a way to make more money - nothing more. In all honesty, how much could their actual costs be in doing this? Very little.

As for the comments made before about it being OK to charge for every little thing - give me a break. That's part of what is wrong with today's society - pay for this, pay for that, a fee for this, a fee for that. Consumers get very little value for anything anymore. We pay more today for products and services, while the supplier is doing everything under the sun to cut costs. Cruise lines are cutting costs in many places, chocolates on pillows, towel animals, pens and paper, tablecloths, etc. So right there are some cost savings - so now it's OK to charge extra for something that previously was included? My thoughts are that the ones who think it's OK to charge extra for every little thing have a financial interest in the company. Keep in mind that the cruise lines generally post pretty healthy profits, and do so at the expense of not paying most of their workers well - they expect you to pay their wages IN ADDITION to your base cruise fare. They get away with doing this by flagging ships in foreign countries, thereby circumventing US labor laws, but that's OK, I'm sure. When is enough enough?

And for the comments made about "keep the basic children's club free so the ship isn't overrun with kids," here's a novel concept - don't book a cruise on a cruise line that markets their product to families with children. You're setting yourself up for your own disappointment by doing so. Try booking on Holland America or another line that doesn't market so much to families. If insisting on booking on a line that markets to families, don't be upset that there may be children around. Sorry, but that's life. I would love an ideal world where I'm surrounded by people that possess common sense, common courtesy, and a reasonable level of intelligence. Unfortunately, I'm not lucky enough to live in that world. Life has is it's little disappointments. Don't like it? Stay home...

You can get the same or better close up with characters throughout the week all over the ship. It was a cute event but would not be worth the cost. It's regular dining room breakfast and the characters come to each table for pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can get the same or better close up with characters throughout the week all over the ship. It was a cute event but would not be worth the cost. It's regular dining room breakfast and the characters come to each table for pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the heads up. Now I won't feel so bad for not spending that much!

I'm not happy about hearing this either. My family was counting on doing this to begin with. We have to save for quite some time to sail on RCI and at $40 just to see a few characters is ridiculous. I highly doubt that all of a sudden, as of May 1, it's now costing RCI more to host this than it does in April 2014. It's simply a way to make more money - nothing more. In all honesty, how much could their actual costs be in doing this? Very little.

As for the comments made before about it being OK to charge for every little thing - give me a break. That's part of what is wrong with today's society - pay for this, pay for that, a fee for this, a fee for that. Consumers get very little value for anything anymore. We pay more today for products and services, while the supplier is doing everything under the sun to cut costs. Cruise lines are cutting costs in many places, chocolates on pillows, towel animals, pens and paper, tablecloths, etc. So right there are some cost savings - so now it's OK to charge extra for something that previously was included? My thoughts are that the ones who think it's OK to charge extra for every little thing have a financial interest in the company. Keep in mind that the cruise lines generally post pretty healthy profits, and do so at the expense of not paying most of their workers well - they expect you to pay their wages IN ADDITION to your base cruise fare. They get away with doing this by flagging ships in foreign countries, thereby circumventing US labor laws, but that's OK, I'm sure. When is enough enough?

And for the comments made about "keep the basic children's club free so the ship isn't overrun with kids," here's a novel concept - don't book a cruise on a cruise line that markets their product to families with children. You're setting yourself up for your own disappointment by doing so. Try booking on Holland America or another line that doesn't market so much to families. If insisting on booking on a line that markets to families, don't be upset that there may be children around. Sorry, but that's life. I would love an ideal world where I'm surrounded by people that possess common sense, common courtesy, and a reasonable level of intelligence. Unfortunately, I'm not lucky enough to live in that world. Life has is it's little disappointments. Don't like it? Stay home...

I don't have financial anything in Royal Caribbean. If you don't like it, either don't go or adjust to the changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

First time cruiser here with 3 kiddos(7, 9 & 11)...kiddos wanted to do the character breakfast, so we are going to do the character breakfast. $50 happily paid although it would have been nice to have cruised when it was free. Oh well! To me...we are on vacation and as a consumer, I am willing to pay for the service to satisfy the kiddos. But if it sucks....then I will mad :mad:

First time cruiser here with 3 kiddos(7, 9 & 11)...kiddos wanted to do the character breakfast, so we are going to do the character breakfast. $50 happily paid although it would have been nice to have cruised when it was free. Oh well! To me...we are on vacation and as a consumer, I am willing to pay for the service to satisfy the kiddos. But if it sucks....then I will mad :mad:

Hopefully it doesn't suck! Ur right it's a vacation and i make sure I have plenty of money to spend because I want to have a good time. Again, hope it's a good show for u guys

I don't have financial anything in Royal Caribbean. If you don't like it, either don't go or adjust to the changes.

I understand what you're saying. I was just saying that because a company CAN charge you for something doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. If I nickel and dimed my customers for everything I do for them, I wouldn't have any customers left. There is a breaking point ya know. Good customer service means going above and beyond to ensure that your customers have a good experience, not milk them for every last damn nickel they have. Keep in mind that we are talking about a cruise line, who, as theme parks and resorts do, charge ridiculously high prices for items because they have a captive audience and prohibit anything that might cut into their profit margin in the slightest. Do you think that charging $2.50 plus a 15% gratuity for a can of soda isn't ridiculous? If not, I'm glad to see that you are extremely eager to part ways with your money. Me, I work too hard for what I make....

I understand what you're saying. I was just saying that because a company CAN charge you for something doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. If I nickel and dimed my customers for everything I do for them, I wouldn't have any customers left. There is a breaking point ya know. Good customer service means going above and beyond to ensure that your customers have a good experience, not milk them for every last damn nickel they have. Keep in mind that we are talking about a cruise line, who, as theme parks and resorts do, charge ridiculously high prices for items because they have a captive audience and prohibit anything that might cut into their profit margin in the slightest. Do you think that charging $2.50 plus a 15% gratuity for a can of soda isn't ridiculous? If not, I'm glad to see that you are extremely eager to part ways with your money. Me, I work too hard for what I make....

I understand your point, but big businesses like royal cater to the majority and I assume the majority will pay for the character breakfast and the Johnny rockets since that increased in price too. I know the prices are a bit high for items on board a cruise so I buy the premium package so I don't have to worry about paying on board for drinks. If I'm not willing to pay their prices, that'll be the day I stay home or find another place to go for vacation. That price for a soda is high, but you can find that out before you go on the cruise.

I understand your point, but big businesses like royal cater to the majority and I assume the majority will pay for the character breakfast and the Johnny rockets since that increased in price too. I know the prices are a bit high for items on board a cruise so I buy the premium package so I don't have to worry about paying on board for drinks. If I'm not willing to pay their prices, that'll be the day I stay home or find another place to go for vacation. That price for a soda is high, but you can find that out before you go on the cruise.

Hey no problem - I'm not wanting to argue here.:) I've been on several cruises and know what things cost. They do the same thing that Disney and other places do. Why do they charge what they do? Because they can because people will pay it. We're thinking of taking the kids to Disney when we go to Florida but hard to believe they're basically $100 per day per person. I grew up in central Florida and remember when a trip to Disney was an affordable family fun day. It seemed like once Disney built Epcot and a few more hotels, they started becoming extremely greedy and their pricing got out of hand and has only worsened in the years since. I have nothing against a company making a fair profit -that's why they're in business. But making a fair profit and gouging every chance you get are completely different things. As long as we can agree to not fully agree with one another;)

The problem for many of us, is that we booked BEFORE they decided to charge for this breakfast, so, in making our calculation on whether the cruise fare was "worth it or not", we calculated 3 INCLUDED character breakfasts. That's $120 of "nominal fees" for my family of four-- throw the grandparents in, who would have probably also attended, and we're talking about $180 of "nominal fees" that were not included in my original deduction of what this cruise would cost me (and yes, we were planning on attending all the character breakfasts-- we have to eat in the MDR anyways b/c of my DS's allergies).

There is a bait and switch going on here. It is not an honest business practice on RCCL's part.

How would you feel if you booked a cruise where MDR meals were included, and then RCCL decided it would charge $10 pp to eat in the MDR for any meal? There would be a public outcry. But because this only affects families, and it only affects three meals on the cruise, people think we should just stomach the extra cost. If they want to charge for the character breakfast, then fine. That's their choice. I think it's a bad choice, but its their prerogative, none the less. BUT, they should only start charging for people who booked their cruises AFTER the change in price. Those of us who booked before should receive the breakfast for free.

Sorry I don´t agree with you on the bait and Switch. What if they had discontinued the character breakfast? Would you still "demand" to put it on for those who booked at a time when it was offered?

I doubt a character breakfast was part of the cruise contract.

As for your example about charging for MDR, my reaction will depend on how it is done.

I don´t know what the exact wording is on this matter, so lets just Keep this a little theoretically.

If I was promised meals to be included in my cruise I would be fine with a MDR Charge as Long as for example Windjammer stays included.

If however the contract says MDR meals are included I´d consider this a breach of contract and demand those to be included for me.

Again those character breakfasts are an activity offered and highly doubtful to be part of the product you purchased.

Hey no problem - I'm not wanting to argue here.:) I've been on several cruises and know what things cost. They do the same thing that Disney and other places do. Why do they charge what they do? Because they can because people will pay it. We're thinking of taking the kids to Disney when we go to Florida but hard to believe they're basically $100 per day per person. I grew up in central Florida and remember when a trip to Disney was an affordable family fun day. It seemed like once Disney built Epcot and a few more hotels, they started becoming extremely greedy and their pricing got out of hand and has only worsened in the years since. I have nothing against a company making a fair profit -that's why they're in business. But making a fair profit and gouging every chance you get are completely different things. As long as we can agree to not fully agree with one another;)

No argument here!! Lol it does suck that they nickel and dime tho but cruises to me are well worth it and are convenient. Now if they increase the black jack table minimums I'm done cruising lol

Of course it´s a way for them to make more Money and that´s the reason they exist in the first place. A cruise line does not exist to give you pleasure, they exist to make Money for their stockholders. Selling you a product of pleasure is just their tool to make Money. Don´t be fooled with thinking they exist to please you.

I have no Problem with the whole concept, including them to expect me to pay gratuities (another thing I know upfront) and foreign flag their ships and not adhere to US Labor laws. If you have a Problem with this you should take the proper steps and stop cruising.

I´m fully aware RCI is a mass market line and Catering to families. I buy into their Cruises with full knowledge of this, so no need to tell me to go elsewhere. I´ve never had a Problem with Kids on my RCI Cruises and that´s because RCI is doing such a good Job on keeping them locked away. Not sure where you got that I was/am upset aobut Kids. I´m happy as it is but I also like the Company, actually any Company, maximising their profits.

If the cost goes up too much and you can´t afford it anymore you need to look elsewhere simple as that. The Company will have to determine if they have reached a Point where they can´t sufficiently sell their product anymore, just like you have to decide if you can afford it or not.

It´s not a right to go on a cruise, it´s a luxury item you have to pay for.

Of course it´s a way for them to make more Money and that´s the reason they exist in the first place. A cruise line does not exist to give you pleasure, they exist to make Money for their stockholders. Selling you a product of pleasure is just their tool to make Money. Don´t be fooled with thinking they exist to please you.

I have no Problem with the whole concept, including them to expect me to pay gratuities (another thing I know upfront) and foreign flag their ships and not adhere to US Labor laws. If you have a Problem with this you should take the proper steps and stop cruising.

I´m fully aware RCI is a mass market line and Catering to families. I buy into their Cruises with full knowledge of this, so no need to tell me to go elsewhere. I´ve never had a Problem with Kids on my RCI Cruises and that´s because RCI is doing such a good Job on keeping them locked away. Not sure where you got that I was/am upset aobut Kids. I´m happy as it is but I also like the Company, actually any Company, maximising their profits.

If the cost goes up too much and you can´t afford it anymore you need to look elsewhere simple as that. The Company will have to determine if they have reached a Point where they can´t sufficiently sell their product anymore, just like you have to decide if you can afford it or not.

It´s not a right to go on a cruise, it´s a luxury item you have to pay for.

I agree with everything you said!! PreSch!

I agree with everything you said!!

Sorry I don´t agree with you on the bait and Switch.

As for your example about charging for MDR, my reaction will depend on how it is done.

I don´t know what the exact wording is on this matter, so lets just Keep this a little theoretically.

If I was promised meals to be included in my cruise I would be fine with a MDR Charge as Long as for example Windjammer stays included.

If however the contract says MDR meals are included I´d consider this a breach of contract and demand those to be included for me.

Again those character breakfasts are an activity offered and highly doubtful to be part of the product you purchased.

I don't understand what's your definition of Bait and Switch. But for those who booked prior to March 16th, this is what was stated on their website.

"Dreamworks Character Dining - DWBFBRKFST

Menu

Our DreamWorks-inspired menu features a wide array of morning favorites from "Fresh-a-Liscious Yogurt Selections" to "Crack-a-Lackin Smoked Salmon Plate." Parents who are not quite ready to dive into a serving of "ferocious French toast" will be happy to find a menu featuring traditional à la carte breakfast items and coffee.

Where You'll Find it

DreamWorks Character Dining takes place in the Main Dining Room onboard Oasis of the Seas®, Allure of the Seas®, Freedom of the Seas®, Liberty of the Seas®, Mariner of the Seas® and Voyager of the Seas®.

Dress Suggestion

During breakfast hours, casual clothes are fine for the Main Dining Room.

Reservations

Reservations are required for Character Dining. Reservations can be made pre-cruise through royalcaribbean.com or on board in the main dining room.

Costs

DreamWorks Character Dining (including coffee, tea, water, iced tea or lemonade) is included in the price of your cruise.

Easycruise never even came close to a "classic" cruise ship. Their ship(s) was more on the tiny size compared to todays cruise ships. Extra Charge or not, most amenities you look for on a cruise ship these days were simply missing.

Let´s talk about the cabins. There were only inside cabins on Easycruise one, as they just put in "Plastik boxes" as cabins and regardless if they were actually at the outer hull, no Windows were built in. Cabins had no amenities at all, like may be a closet, a desk, TV, drawer, ..... this had nothing to do with extra payment, it was just not available and there wouldn´t have been room for those things anyway.

They didn´t sell Cruises as in a 7-day itinerary, but the ship circled on a set itinerary and you just booked the nights onboard. In other words, every day was debarkation/embarkation day for them.

They offered Food onboard, but more in the style of fast Food Snacks in a Cafeteria type of Setting. However they never were at sea for Long.

I could go on about this, but you should get the idea about how different they were and I kinda doubt they ever were a competition for the cruise industry.

BTW, I´ve frequently priced them and they weren´t really that cheap. Actually once you priced something like 7 days plus some Basic stuff like maybe a towel in the cabin (once not daily) and the mandatory "end of cruise cleaning fee" I always faced a higher amount than going on a comparable "classic cruise" which had a lot more to offer.

Do you really think they went out of Business because of extra charges?

Yes, I do believe they went out of business because of extra charges.

When Easy Cruise introduce its new ship Easy Cruise Life. It offers pretty much the amenities of what other cruise line offers but at a fee. Cruiser spoke by not going on a line where they essentially offer a Scandinavian Cruise ferry experience where pretty much everything is a la carte after you got on the ship.

We just have to wait for the Harvard School of Business to look at why Easy Cruise fail as obviously we differs in opinion as to why they are no longer in business.

We took our grandsons to the character breakfast on Freedom. Based on the rave reviews I had read on CC, I was really looking forward to this; however, it was very disappointing as it was mostly just waiting for one of the characters to get around to your table for pictures. The grandsons were quite bored, as was Grandpa!:D

To be fair, Freedom had only been offering this for a month, so maybe they did not have their act together. I would have been very upset if we had paid $20 for it.

Sherri:)

Yes, I do believe they went out of business because of extra charges.

When Easy Cruise introduce its new ship Easy Cruise Life. It offers pretty much the amenities of what other cruise line offers but at a fee. Cruiser spoke by not going on a line where they essentially offer a Scandinavian Cruise ferry experience where pretty much everything is a la carte after you got on the ship.

We just have to wait for the Harvard School of Business to look at why Easy Cruise fail as obviously we differs in opinion as to why they are no longer in business.

ROTFLMAO!!!

Easy cruise Life was a RO/RO Cargo Vessel, ran aground shortly after sailing for Easy cruise. Easy cruise was already a Thing of the past when the Life was introduced.

You are quite right we differ greatly in opinion and knowledge about Easy cruise.

You might Need Harvard Business School to tell you some Facts about Easy cruise, I have no Need for this to know what went wrong.

Anyway to get back on Topic, RCI is a pretty healthy Company and the stock Price is far from it´s historical low and a $10 Charge for a character breakfast won´t put a damper on their earnings.

We're sailing Oasis on April 12th and I just checked my cruise planner and our reservations for the character breakfast are still there and indicated as no charge.

We have done this before, and I would not pay $10/pp for it. The food is the same, and we sit and wait for the characters to come around for a picture. It's fun, but not a must do for us.

I have to agree that to add a fee for anyone over 5 for something you've been running for quite a while with no cost is not cool.

If your problem is people not showing up, then make it a no show fee. If you book and don't come, you're charged. It will weed out those who book on the idea that if I'm up that early we'll go, otherwise we'll miss it. Then those who really plan to attend will make reservations and show up.

To charge everyone, no way.

I've been to the breakfast once on Allure and 3 times on Oasis. IMO, it is not worth paying for the experience that I had, especially since you don't even know which characters you'll be seeing at the breakfast. They rotate and if you had your heart set on seeing Shrek but Alex, King Julian and Gloria appear, you might be disappointed. I'd save the $50, hit the free character M&G held many times per day and maybe spend the savings on the kiddos for an ice cream or cupcake afterwards, or up their arcade allowance. I will not be attending in the future at a $10 upcharge.

I would also be concerned with how they implement this in practice because on the Oasis, we had reservations but you just showed up and were seated. Our sea pass or cabin number were not checked. Allure did check our reservation before seating us.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Edited by Steeler Nation At Sea

At least us die hard disney cruise line fans can add free character breakfast along with free soda to the list of DCL benefits and justify in our heads paying many more thousands $$$$ for it over royal ;) lol

At least us die hard disney cruise line fans can add free character breakfast along with free soda to the list of DCL benefits and justify in our heads paying many more thousands $$$$ for it over royal ;) lol

Ha!! That thought actually did cross my mind about Disney ;). Carnival is only going to charge $5pp for its new "Seuss at Sea" breakfast, and it sounds like there will be different, themed food there (like green eggs and ham, etc). Of course, this is a new program for them, so they didn't offer it for free first, and then decide to charge for it!! I think a no-show fee would be a better route to go for RCCL. It is understandable to people, and they will still make some cash off of it.

There is too much for me to read now so sorry if someone has said what I'm going to say. If so, then I second the opinion.

I remember eating in the MDR on Oasis for breakfast (or maybe lunch, that part I don't remember as clearly) and we were seated right by where the characters were coming out for their visit. I remember thinking that I'd pay to NOT have them there. :p It was rather loud. And we could see it all but obviously didn't get our picture taken.

We could get our picture taken out in the promenade with any character we wanted to at different times and buy the picture if we wanted to. They also allow pictures with one's own camera.

So why pay the $10pp. Just sit close by and watch. And visit the characters for free another time.

Gina

We have done it twice. Once on the Allure and once on the Freedom. We would never spend $40 on it, so that will be our last.

I thought it was poorly run on the Freedom (we got up and left before it was over) and I feel bad for families who have never done it and are expecting something special and worth the $$.