PA Announcements

Freeling

Hi All

I have spent considerable time reading the H/A forum plus reviews, but have not found any mention of the P/A announcements for Bingo, Sales stuff, etc.

Can anyone tell me how frequent they are - I think that they are not in the cabin...... I have suffered from overload in the past.....

Thanks to you hospitable people.:)

Hi All

I have spent considerable time reading the H/A forum plus reviews, but have not found any mention of the P/A announcements for Bingo, Sales stuff, etc.

Can anyone tell me how frequent they are - I think that they are not in the cabin...... I have suffered from overload in the past.....

Thanks to you hospitable people.:)

On my recent cruise onboard the Ryndam, the CD would make an announcement over the PA twice each day at approximately 9:00 a.m. - 9:30 a.m. & again 1:00 p.m. - 1:30 p.m. in order to give a 'brief' overview of the program for the next period of time! Personally, I found it annoying, disruptive & intrusive, (especially in the middle of a computer class in the 'Digital Workshop') when everything had to stop while the CD's (loud) voice :mad: gave an overview of events already listed in the daily program, 'today ON LOCATION'! Perhaps he didn't think that we could read it for ourselves! :rolleyes:

On sea days, the cruise director will provide PA announcements only 1-2 times that day describing the events. On port days, once everyone has returned, the CD will give an announcement of the evening's events. You will receive a daily program of all the events. Definitely not as intrusive as other cruise lines.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We had the most annoying CD on our May, 2013 Zuiderdam Alaskan tour. His voice was absolutely grating. We cringed everytime we heard him.

I wonder how they get the job as someone must like it.

Hope he is not still on the Zuiderdam next year as we are going on her again.

Can't say I let them bother me. I have heard people say they wish they knew when certain things were happening on the ships. They don't read the daily news. (that bothers me!) All this just reminds me of working in the school system with PA announcements.

I am there on that cruise just to have a positive time. Bah! with negatives!:)

On my last cruise on the Zaandam, there was a built in "radio" in the panel above the bed. On there was a switch and volume control for either music or for one channel which was the ship's announcement channel. You could have that on or off as was your preference. Otherwise announcements were in hallways and public spaces only.

On my last cruise on the Zaandam, there was a built in "radio" in the panel above the bed. On there was a switch and volume control for either music or for one channel which was the ship's announcement channel. You could have that on or off as was your preference. Otherwise announcements were in hallways and public spaces only.

We used to have those radios on all the S- & R-class ships. Unfortunately, they've been disabled/removed on at least most of them. They were handy to leave on, set to channel 5. All was quiet unless/until there was something to listen to.

Made a great morning wake-up call! :)

Announcements are now heard through the TV now, assuming you have the TV on, and tuned to the correct station.

It depends on the CD but for me, although HAL announcements are less than other cruise lines, they are still unnecessary. We all get the daily news sheet so announcements should be necessary.

I think all we should get are important/security announcements or when things have changed from the published schedule and the daily Captain's update.

Edited by RollieUK

Hi All !

Personally, I've never been bothered by the PA announcements.

I find it interesting and educational when the captain speak at Lunch time.

At this time, I stop all my activities and I take as much informations to improve my geography skills and get to the sailing perspective (from a crew officer view).

Have a very good day !

Holacanada from Quebec City

On Veendam in 37 weeks now..!

You can plan on the 1:00 briefing from the bridge.

The Captain will usually update you on weather, position, speed and technical aspects.

It's something we miss when cruising other cruise lines.

We were on a cruise on the Rotterdam last year. 90% of the passengers were from the Netherlands so all of the announcements were done first in Dutch, then in English. What we found amusing was that the Dutch version of the announcement would last for 2 minutes and the English version was over in 30 seconds!! To this day we still joke about missing the free open bar and the no charge excursions that all the Dutch passengers enjoyed - just joking of course!!!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We never have figured out which TV channel to use to hear the announcements, can anyone tell us which one to use?

DaveOKC

I can't answer for sure, but it was one of the top 3 or 4 channels. The ones that show the forward and aft facing cameras. I believe it was in the range of 39 - 43 or so

Rich

We never have figured out which TV channel to use to hear the announcements, can anyone tell us which one to use?

DaveOKC

Either of the ship's camera channels. They play music unless there's an announcement. Channels vary depending on which ship we've been on, but they're easy to spot.

The PA announcements seem to vary depending on the cruise director. When Thom Faulkner was a CD (one of the best CDs we have ever had) he would only make 1 PA announcement per day which was piggy-backed on the Captain's daily update. On other HAL cruises we have been annoyed (every morning) by a PA announcement between 9 and 9:30 which we often found very intrusive. Many times it would come while we were trying to enjoy breakfast with friends, and it totally ruined the moment. And the announcement are often totally worthless as they are just advertising (we do not pay to hear ads) or the CD reading what is on the daily schedule easily accessible to anyone who cares. My feeling is the CDs should be tossed overboard on a long safety line so they can make their speeches to the sharks...and hauled aboard when they are finished.

Hank

Thanks to all respondents. Maybe twice a day is tolerable if not interrupting conversation or Bridge..if it is a regular schedule it can probably be worked around. I DO study daily timetables and highlight my choices.

My last cruise (another line) featured adverts for sidewalk sales/bingo/photo locations frequently. Not relaxing!

It depends on the CD but for me, although HAL announcements are less than other cruise lines, they are still unnecessary. We all get the daily news sheet so announcements should be necessary.

I think all we should get are important/security announcements or when things have changed from the published schedule and the daily Captain's update.

I think you wanted to say that you all get the daily news sheet, so announcements should be UNNECESSARY. In a civilized world, you would be right.

But you failed to factor in all the knuckleheads who leave their brains at home when they go on a cruise.

And the people who stand there talking while the Cruise Director makes a very loud announcement three times, who then go to the front desk to complain that nobody has told them where the gangway is located or what time the bingo starts.

Or the last three passengers who are needed to go through immigration before anyone can leave the ship. After sending them instruction letters for three days before the end of the cruise, then making 15 announcements on debark morning, they still fail to show up. We find them reading a book by the pool while everyone else is in a panic about missing their flights.

Their excuse??

"I didn't hear any announcements."

"Nobody told me."

I think you wanted to say that you all get the daily news sheet, so announcements should be UNNECESSARY. In a civilized world, you would be right.

But you failed to factor in all the knuckleheads who leave their brains at home when they go on a cruise.

And the people who stand there talking while the Cruise Director makes a very loud announcement three times, who then go to the front desk to complain that nobody has told them where the gangway is located or what time the bingo starts.

Or the last three passengers who are needed to go through immigration before anyone can leave the ship. After sending them instruction letters for three days before the end of the cruise, then making 15 announcements on debark morning, they still fail to show up. We find them reading a book by the pool while everyone else is in a panic about missing their flights.

Their excuse??

"I didn't hear any announcements."

"Nobody told me."

Yes, sorry. I meant to say "...so announcements should NOT be necessary".

I do not object to the captain's daily update or announcements telling us when we are cleared to go ashore or which gangway to use etc.

What I do object to are announcements telling us how much the bingo jackpot is or when a show is due to start. The 'knuckleheads' you refer to deserve to miss the bingo or the show or the sale in the atrium.

Yes, sorry. I meant to say "...so announcements should NOT be necessary".

I do not object to the captain's daily update or announcements telling us when we are cleared to go ashore or which gangway to use etc.

What I do object to are announcements telling us how much the bingo jackpot is or when a show is due to start. The 'knuckleheads' you refer to deserve to miss the bingo or the show or the sale in the atrium.

Well, I do! :mad: What possible difference should it make to the enjoyment of one's cruise by listening to the Captain's daily announcement of the ship's navigational position or the weather forecast? :rolleyes:

Well, I do! :mad: What possible difference should it make to the enjoyment of one's cruise by listening to the Captain's daily announcement of the ship's navigational position or the weather forecast? :rolleyes:

We always enjoy the Captain's daily update, except when everyone around us keeps talking and we cannot hear them.

On our recent Veendam cruise, Captain Bos' announcements contained more information than the weather forecast and the navigational position. When we were approaching areas with known whale activity or other wildlife activity, he would tell us about it and remind everyone to be on the look out for wildlife. Also, on the second part of the cruise, we were under code orange or red for most of the 29 days. He was very good about keeping us informed about he situation, as well as about other incidents on the ship. We found the announcements both informative and entertaining.

Generally the CD would have an announcement in the morning and early afternoon. Occasionally, there would be an announcement mid-afternoon about bingo. His announcements were only in public areas and on the tv, while all the Captain's announcements were over the cabin speaker.

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser

I've been reading recent threads reminiscing about traditions that are missed. This thread called to mind our first HAL cruise on the Zuiderdam over 10+ years ago. At least (it felt like) 5 times a day an announcement by "Heather, your bingo feather" interrupted whatever was happening. Does anyone else remember this? It drove us nuts. So, every subsequent cruise with a couple of CD run downs of the day's activities and the Captain's commentaries seem like pure bliss. I still can't figure out what a "bingo feather" could possibly be. RIP bingo announcements and blessings on your journey, dear Heather.