When will ccl end traditional dinning

vols_159

First ncl went to freestyle dinning now on rccl starting with there new builds they will have there version calling it dynamic dinning doing away with late and early seating / formal nights .. We all know its coming rather it be 6

Months or 5 years traditional dinning is on its last leg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have no source or fact ccl will end traditional anytime soon or the next 20 years just a simple guess if all other major lines are changing ccl will also to keep up ..

First ncl went to freestyle dinning now on rccl starting with there new builds they will have there version calling it dynamic dinning doing away with late and early seating / formal nights .. We all know its coming rather it be 6

Dress swings back and forth, and it has for centuries. I though dressing up was dead in the 70's, and then boom; disco. All of a sudden dressing up was de rigeur again.

The next generation croppoing up behind seem to be bringing dress back again. They once agin want to be different, and once agin think they are starrting something new.

But while a good cross section of those surveyed say they prefer traditional dining, I imagine it will stay indefinitely. NCL was bold in thinking they could actually do away with a MDR, until word got out and a design change was made.

The QOTS concept sounds interesting, but time will tell how it works. They do continue to be the innovators. And all Carnival continues to build are extentions of the Holiday class ships. Until they change something, and I hope that vision will be the Vista, they are trying different tghings on a ship that cannot support anything other than normal Carnival.

I think you are right on with the thought of this being a time of change, especially in regards to dining. I spent some time on the Royal site here reading on royal cruisers thoughts on there dining plans for quantum. Lots compare it to Royal being the new NCL with much more pay for food venues as well as modified dress standards as well. It will be very interesting to see how this fares and implications for Carnival in the future.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app from my IPhone

IMHO, I believe Carnival will always have one dining room for traditional seating. There are many, many cruisers who love dining with strangers who become friends by the end of the cruise. Of course, I could be wrong, but from the experience of hearing stories of table mates, I think traditional dining will survive.

As soon as CCL partners with MacDonalds.....BTW, the theaters will be converted to space for more cabins and shops.

If they do away with traditional dining then I definitely would not sail with Carnival again. I do not sail with NCL after having tried the "Freestyle Dining". It is not for us.

Right now, it is all just a matter of guessing if or when they will get rid of it. Would rather wait until Carnival makes the announcement instead of playing a guessing game. Of course, we all realize how long it takes Carnival to make announcements.

I hope the answer is "never", or at least not until I age out of enjoying Carnival, which won't be for a while. Assigned dining, and matched by age and marital status to boot, is one of the reasons why I chose Carnival for my first cruise, which was solo, and it's why I sailed on it again. I had great experiences with tablemates who made my cruise, even if they were strictly dinner companions, without hanging out with them outside of dinner (I experienced both situations). Old-school cruising was more solo-friendly than the new ideas (*cough* cost-cutting *cough*) NCL and RCI are pushing onto passengers.

Dynamic dining isn't a bad idea per se, but it's the same as NCL's Freestyle dining, minus the MDR. I just don't want to go through the hassle of finding someone to cruise with or overpay for a hosted singles' cruise, just to avoid the awkwardness of eating dinner alone (a big deal for me). If Carnival decides to eliminate assigned seating (under the pretext of it being "not fun"), let them do some damage control and have a hostess that seats solos together.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

I hope the answer is "never", or at least not until I age out of enjoying Carnival, which won't be for a while. Assigned dining, and matched by age and marital status to boot, is one of the reasons why I chose Carnival for my first cruise, which was solo, and it's why I sailed on it again. I had great experiences with tablemates who made my cruise, even if they were strictly dinner companions, without hanging out with them outside of dinner (I experienced both situations).

I have to agree with you. My husband and I love traditional dining. Even our children (who are no adults) love the interesting tablemates we have had on past cruises. But I love that our family (of 6) have a set time and we all meet up together and eat dinner together every night on a cruise. I do hope that Carnival continues traditional dining for a very long time.

Won't happen.

First ncl went to freestyle dining now on rccl starting with there new builds they will have there version calling it dynamic dinning doing away with late and early seating / formal nights .. We all know its coming rather it be 6

Royal Caribbean even did away with the traditional dining room, replacing it with 5 completely different restaurants. I like the idea, as it would be nice to have a different venue with different styles of food on each night (even one restaurant which is formal every night). However, Royal Caribbean had some beautiful dining rooms on their ships. Those will be missed.

I don't care what sort of dining system Carnival decides to have so long as I can get an an above average meal for no extra charge. However considering what I've heard about how the quality of NCL's MDRs have gone down I have my concerns.

Never had a bad meal in a ncl mdr.. Actually my last cruise the food was great! Can any mdr please 100% of people heck no.. But I like ncl mdr

I'm one who doesn't like sitting at diner for over a hour and at 2 hours I would be highly upset .. Just wanna get in enjoy my meal with my wife or family and catch the night time show my record for mdr is 45 minutes that was perfect!

I hope the answer is "never", or at least not until I age out of enjoying Carnival, which won't be for a while. Assigned dining, and matched by age and marital status to boot, is one of the reasons why I chose Carnival for my first cruise, which was solo, and it's why I sailed on it again. I had great experiences with tablemates who made my cruise, even if they were strictly dinner companions, without hanging out with them outside of dinner (I experienced both situations). Old-school cruising was more solo-friendly than the new ideas (*cough* cost-cutting *cough*) NCL and RCI are pushing onto passengers.

Dynamic dining isn't a bad idea per se, but it's the same as NCL's Freestyle dining, minus the MDR. I just don't want to go through the hassle of finding someone to cruise with or overpay for a hosted singles' cruise, just to avoid the awkwardness of eating dinner alone (a big deal for me). If Carnival decides to eliminate assigned seating (under the pretext of it being "not fun"), let them do some damage control and have a hostess that seats solos together.

I 100% agree with you! Took my first single cruise ever with Carnival Miracle and was assigned to great tablemates who I was able to hang out with and not feel cut off.

Love having same wait staff and same table. Last year we really bonded with our tablemates (with my cousin and friend this time around). They really do a good job of placing you with people and it is fun to find out what we all have in common.

RCL is just coping NCL's freestyle but at much higher rates. Considering the RCL has a much larger percentage of non-US passengers who with the currency exchange feel everything on board is a bargain, this is just one move towards adding more extra charge venues. Lately the qualtity and selection of RCL food in the MDR has gone down to the point that if you want a good steak cooked properly you need to book the steakhouse at an extra charge. Not much consideration being given to folks on restricted diets either with all the high-end celebrity type chefs and their very rich, high calorie menus.

MARAPRINCE

I'm one of the ones that don't want Traditional dining to go away. We always cruise with 3 or 4 other couples and that allows us all to sit together without waiting and to have the same wait crew. If everyone were on anytime there would be longer wait time.

Edited by rlkubi

Royal Caribbean even did away with the traditional dining room, replacing it with 5 completely different restaurants. I like the idea, as it would be nice to have a different venue with different styles of food on each night (even one restaurant which is formal every night).

I rather like the "dynamic dining" idea too! :)

LuLu

~~~

Some percentage of the passengers on RCL complained about dressing up for formal nights. And this is how RCL solved that issue?????:confused:

Now reservations are required for dining and for the shows. Only one restaurant will require formal attire every night.

Best part in the e-mail announcement that RCL sent out yesterday, over and over it stressed that passengers should be rotating where they dine -- discouraging staying with same wait staff and same dining venue.

If they want to copy NCL's freestyle, RCL should charge less for their cabins.

This will also force prepayment of tips since passengers will be rotating. Big issue with non-US passengers who are used to having tips included in their restaurant bills.

MARAPRINCE