St. Thomas Vs. St. Martin ???

Mvbaker83

Could you please tell me, if I were going to do a land excursion and a sea excursion which would be the best place to do these?

There are 3 of us girls, looking to have a nice relaxing, no children kind of time.

Any and all comments are appreciated.

You do not provide enough info. What kind of land and sea excursions? To be honest, knowing both of these island very well we would not do an excursion on either....but we do understand that some folks love spending their money on excursions :).

Hank

We will be there In September, one day on each with ncl. If you do not recommend excursions, please tell me what you would recommend.

We are just looking to make the most out of both places, and we would like a plan, and not waste our money!

I would love to snorkel somewhere. And my group of girls would like to enjoy the island, take in the scenery and enjoy some time on the beach.

Thanks for your reply.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just a suggestion since you would like to snorkel in one of your ports.:)

Consider taking a shore excursion (recommend a catamaran sail) in St. Thomas that goes to St. John where the snorkeling is great.

In St. Maarten the snorkeling is not as good. Orient Beach (on the French side) is beautiful for a beach day ... but if you want something by land doing one that takes you on a tour on both St. Maarten (Dutch side) and St. Martin (French side) could be good for you.

LuLu

~~~

For St. Thomas, I would definitely suggest going across to St. John for snorkeling. St. Thomas is essentially a shopping opportunity with a few so-so beaches. St. Maarten is a great island to explore as it has a number of great beaches, the shopping in Phillipsburg on the Dutch side and the French flavor in Matigot. You might want to rent a car, drive up the west side of the island to Marigot, then to Orient Beach, or Le Galion for calm waters or Dawn Beach on the east side; then back to Phillipsburg, drop off the car, and hit the shops before returning to the ship.

You could consider a private tour on St Maarten with Bernards...it can include Orient Beach, Marigot & Maho (to watch the planes) a very popular company used by many on these boards.

I was reading reviews on Bernard's earlier, everyone seemed to like it.

I will try and find a good deal on the catamaran in St. thomas, but I really want it to go to St. John.

I really appreciate everyone input.

If you have more, I would love to hear.

Is budget an issue? If not, book Rumbaba in St. Thomas - absolutely spectacular excursion.

St. Maarten - it is very easy to rent a car. We use Coastal Car Rental right at the pier. They are friendly and have nice vehicles. For $5 you can get a GPS with all the major sights and beaches preprogrammed. I'm a typical soccer mom and have no problems driving in St. Maarten. They drive on the right - only traffic is right in town. I would go to Marigot - have a pastry, Climb to the top of Ft. St. Louis for amazing views, and spend the afternoon at Le Gallion. This is our favorite beach on St. Maarten. We've never seen more than 20 people there.

I was reading reviews on Bernard's earlier, everyone seemed to like it.

I will try and find a good deal on the catamaran in St. thomas, but I really want it to go to St. John.

I really appreciate everyone input.

If you have more, I would love to hear.

This may not be currently accurate, but in St Thomas, the Bolongo Bay Resort was running a catamaran tour on their own boat, the Heavenly Days. Not sure if they still do, as I have not been to St Thomas in about 10 years.

Buck Island is about 40 miles from St. Thomas. You won't have time to get there and back.

I would suggest St. John. There is a ferry that goes right from the waterfront in Charlotte Amalie. Takes about 45 minutes. Or you can cab it to Red Hook and take the much shorter ferry ride, but then you have to deal with St. Thomas traffic.

Honestly, I wouldn't bother with shopping in Charlotte Amalie. Over-crowded, aggressive shop personnel, and the deals aren't that great. If you are looking for something in particular, like a camera, be sure to price it before you leave home and compare. I'd also go in the afternoon when the crowds have dissipated.

On St. Maarten, if you like airplanes, Maho Beach is the place to be. Tons of fun. The big planes come in between about 11:30 a.m. and 3 p.m. and getting a cab back to the ship is easy; they drive by almost constantly with signs saying "back to ship". Tower is 118.7 if you're a real airplane geek like I am and bring an air-band radio. :D

I also liked Philipsburg. Some nice shops and an interesting little museum with a small but cool gift shop with lots of local crafts.

Buck Island is about 40 miles from St. Thomas. You won't have time to get there and back.

I would suggest St. John. There is a ferry that goes right from the waterfront in Charlotte Amalie. Takes about 45 minutes. Or you can cab it to Red Hook and take the much shorter ferry ride, but then you have to deal with St. Thomas traffic.

Honestly, I wouldn't bother with shopping in Charlotte Amalie. Over-crowded, aggressive shop personnel, and the deals aren't that great. If you are looking for something in particular, like a camera, be sure to price it before you leave home and compare. I'd also go in the afternoon when the crowds have dissipated.

On St. Maarten, if you like airplanes, Maho Beach is the place to be. Tons of fun. The big planes come in between about 11:30 a.m. and 3 p.m. and getting a cab back to the ship is easy; they drive by almost constantly with signs saying "back to ship". Tower is 118.7 if you're a real airplane geek like I am and bring an air-band radio. :D

I also liked Philipsburg. Some nice shops and an interesting little museum with a small but cool gift shop with lots of local crafts.

I have done two shore excursions to Buck Island on 2 different cruises and went to Buck Island on a private catamaran on a third. The first 2 were cruise line excursions so it is possible! Well worth it as well!!

I have done two shore excursions to Buck Island on 2 different cruises and went to Buck Island on a private catamaran on a third. The first 2 were cruise line excursions so it is possible! Well worth it as well!!

Weren't those tours from a cruise call at St. Croix, and not St. Thomas, which is what OP is talking about?

We have been to Buck or Buck's island on a catamaran while docked in St. Thomas as well. It was a half day sail. We anchored out by the island and used power snorkels to swim with the sea turtles, fish and a stingray as well. You can not touch the turtles or go onto the island. It was a very nice day and I enjoyed it much and to me it was better than the Champagne snorkel trip to Honeymoon Bay that we have also taken.

Edited by Karysa

Weren't those tours from a cruise call at St. Croix, and not St. Thomas, which is what OP is talking about?

Nope. Definitely St Thomas. I remember them well. Also, of all the cruises I've been on I've only been to St Croix once and that was last year. We rented a jeep and it rained all day! :(

Could you please tell me, if I were going to do a land excursion and a sea excursion which would be the best place to do these?

There are 3 of us girls, looking to have a nice relaxing, no children kind of time.

Any and all comments are appreciated.

Why not look into Tijon Perfumery and a great gourmet lunch in Grand Case. You can make your own scent. A lovely way to spend a girls day on St. Maarten IMO at least.:)

Sapphire Beach in St Thomas has very good snorkeling from the beach and it takes about 25 minute or so to get there so you get to see some of the island as well. Some companies offer a tour and a beach combo which is also a good choice while on St. Thomas.

We really enjoyed our snorkeling trip to swim with the turtles on the Dancing Dolphin carermaran several years ago.

These islands both have so much to do that it's difficult to narrow it down. This just means you will have to plan another cruise that also has stops there.;)

Nope. Definitely St Thomas. I remember them well. Also, of all the cruises I've been on I've only been to St Croix once and that was last year. We rented a jeep and it rained all day! :(

Since I have never been to St. Croix I can definitely say that the Buck(s) island that you are speaking of is off of St. Thomas.

Since I have never been to St. Croix I can definitely say that the Buck(s) island that you are speaking of is off of St. Thomas.

Of course, Bermuda is also "...off St. Thomas...". Buck is right next to St. Croix. I grant that there are tours to Buck from St. Thomas -- but they must be fairly long, as it has to be at least two hours each way, leaving limited time for snorkeling.

Of course, Bermuda is also "...off St. Thomas...". Buck is right next to St. Croix. I grant that there are tours to Buck from St. Thomas -- but they must be fairly long, as it has to be at least two hours each way, leaving limited time for snorkeling.

Really?? I won't even go any further on this thread. We are just trying to give the OP some ideas of things to do in St Thomas. If one has never even been on a Buck Island excursion from St Thomas and others of us have why even speculate what the excursion is all about. We wouldn't give the OP the idea if it wasn't possible!!......good luck in your decisions OP!! I'm sure whichever excursion you choose you will enjoy it!!!

P.S......for the record, it WAS NOT 2 hours there and 2 hours back!!

My mistake about Buck Island. The snorkelling on St. John is supposed to be excellent and it's much closer.

Also remember if you book private excursions or go off on your own the ship will not wait for you if you are late getting back. Definitely a consideration.

Not sure why the attitude when you should be saying. Oh, didn't know about that Buck(s) island, thanks for the info.:)

We left in the early afternoon on a half day catamaran excursion. This was a regular sailing catamaran and not a high speed catamaran ferry. We sailed an hour or so. Snorkeled with the turtles but could not touch them or the island that was called Buck or Bucks. We snorkeled for a good hour or more and sailed back to St. Thomas. Our ship sailed no later than 6 because I have never ever been on St. Thomas after 6. I think that there are 2 islands with similar names. Perhaps if you check out the St. Thomas board you will find more info on the Buck(s) island very near St. Thomas.