Delighted by DIVINA? Find out!

eroller

Glad you enjoyed the review and pics.

Royal Caribbean eliminated nightly chocolates some years ago. It's still done on Celebrity. Just sailed on the CONSTELLATION in February and they were there every night. Not a big deal to me but worth mentioning. As cruise lines become more and more similar from a hardware standpoint, it's the attention to detail that really makes the difference. All the little nice touches add up and cruise lines should not lose sight of that.

Ernie

On my Reflection cruise in November no chocolates. No biggie, just seems like another cut back to me. It's true it would be nice with a nice piece of Italian chocolate left in the room.

What a well-rounded and thought out review! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience. You've made it even harder to wait for our turn aboard the Divina in November.

I'm off to check out all those photos!

Trish

Thanks for such a thoughtful, unbiased review. We were on the same cruise with you and agree with you thoughts 100%.

We also found the little ones running around the nightclubs at all hours extremely annoying and were surprised that nobody said anything. The Black and White lounge seemed particularly over-run with them. One evening, we went in there to have a drink and listen to a little music before our late dinner assignment. Before our drinks ever arrived, literally swarms of kids came in and took over most of the seating. We wondered if it could be a kids' club outing! They were so loud and raucous that we got our drinks and took them elsewhere.

Most of the late-night parties in that lounge (that were so much fun) had young boys running through wildly and playing tag. I was afraid some adult was going to get hurt. This went on until nearly 1 AM when finally what appeared to be their grandparents came off the dance floor and left with them! The only time we went up to the Galaxy disco, young pre-teen girls had taken over the dance floor doing cartwheels. C'mom parents, you may think they're precious but the rest of us not so much. I'm sure the staff found this very annoying also. Night clubs are no place for anyone underage, period.

Other than the ever-present kids, the cruise was near perfection. I also hope to never sail at spring break time again, but even with that said, we REALLY enjoyed this cruise and this ship.

On my Reflection cruise in November no chocolates. No biggie, just seems like another cut back to me. It's true it would be nice with a nice piece of Italian chocolate left in the room.

You're right not a big deal, but I wonder if you're cabin steward was excluding you for some reason, or just being lazy. Pillow chocolates are still very much part of Celebrity Cruises … for the moment anyway! Tomorrow is another day. LOL

Ernie

Thanks for such a thoughtful, unbiased review. We were on the same cruise with you and agree with you thoughts 100%.

We also found the little ones running around the nightclubs at all hours extremely annoying and were surprised that nobody said anything. The Black and White lounge seemed particularly over-run with them. One evening, we went in there to have a drink and listen to a little music before our late dinner assignment. Before our drinks ever arrived, literally swarms of kids came in and took over most of the seating. We wondered if it could be a kids' club outing! They were so loud and raucous that we got our drinks and took them elsewhere.

Most of the late-night parties in that lounge (that were so much fun) had young boys running through wildly and playing tag. I was afraid some adult was going to get hurt. This went on until nearly 1 AM when finally what appeared to be their grandparents came off the dance floor and left with them! The only time we went up to the Galaxy disco, young pre-teen girls had taken over the dance floor doing cartwheels. C'mom parents, you may think they're precious but the rest of us not so much. I'm sure the staff found this very annoying also. Night clubs are no place for anyone underage, period.

Other than the ever-present kids, the cruise was near perfection. I also hope to never sail at spring break time again, but even with that said, we REALLY enjoyed this cruise and this ship.

Thanks for you kind comments and I'm glad you enjoyed the review! Like you, I think without all the kids this cruise was near perfection. There was just no escaping them except in your cabin or balcony and even then I could hear them running full speed down the halls! I certainly don't put the entire onus on the cruise line, after all parents should be taking responsibility for their kids. Unfortunately we all know that is hardly the case anymore which is why companies like MSC have to step up and implement some basic rules and guidelines. Creating and enforcing some adults only areas will go a long way in creating a more relaxing environment for the adults without kids. Even on cruise lines with this policy, I've seen parents try to bring their kids into these adult only areas, thinking for some reason the policy doesn't apply to their precious ones. This is why the enforcement end of the policy is so important. If the crew feel they can't politely approach violators and request them to leave, either because they fear a bad letter or the cruise line won't back them up, then the policy is pointless.

I'm looking forward to another cruise on MSC DIVINA, but it will be when schools are in session for certain!

Ernie

What a well-rounded and thought out review! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience. You've made it even harder to wait for our turn aboard the Divina in November.

I'm off to check out all those photos!

Trish

Hey Trish,

Hope you enjoy the photos and I'm sure you will have a blast onboard in November.

Ernie

Thank you so much for the very detailed and visual review. Sailing on Divina in October...can't wait!

You're welcome! Something to keep you entertained until October.

Ernie

Thanks for you kind comments and I'm glad you enjoyed the review! Like you, I think without all the kids this cruise was near perfection. There was just no escaping them except in your cabin or balcony and even then I could hear them running full speed down the halls! I certainly don't put the entire onus on the cruise line, after all parents should be taking responsibility for their kids. Unfortunately we all know that is hardly the case anymore which is why companies like MSC have to step up and implement some basic rules and guidelines. Creating and enforcing some adults only areas will go a long way in creating a more relaxing environment for the adults without kids. Even on cruise lines with this policy, I've seen parents try to bring their kids into these adult only areas, thinking for some reason the policy doesn't apply to their precious ones. This is why the enforcement end of the policy is so important. If the crew feel they can't politely approach violators and request them to leave, either because they fear a bad letter or the cruise line won't back them up, then the policy is pointless.

I'm looking forward to another cruise on MSC DIVINA, but it will be when schools are in session for certain!

Ernie

Ohh the luxury of traveling off season when the little kiddies are in school. :D The end of September can't get here soon enough.

Edited by Bosjoe

Ernie,

Great review and fabulous photo's.

Penny and I sincerely enjoyed being your tablemates during this wonderfully surprising cruise. Both you and Chris made our evenings fun and informative.

Hopefully our paths will cross again as we all continue to "cruise our way through life".

Best regards,

Penny and Bob

Ernie,

Great review and fabulous photo's.

Penny and I sincerely enjoyed being your tablemates during this wonderfully surprising cruise. Both you and Chris made our evenings fun and informative.

Hopefully our paths will cross again as we all continue to "cruise our way through life".

Best regards,

Penny and Bob

Thanks for the kind message! Great to see you on Cruise Critic. Both Chris and I enjoyed having you as table mates as well. We really wanted a table for two but that wasn't possible, and we were glad that didn't work out after we met you all. Our biggest fear was a table filled with small kids.

I hope we run into you both again on a future cruise, and knowing how often we all cruise that is quite possible.

Take care,

Ernie

Ohh the luxury of traveling off season when the little kiddies are in school. :D The end of September can't get here soon enough.

how can anyone complain about children when sailing on line whose brand is "kids sail free"? granted, nobody likes diapers in the pools, and MSC needs to enforce the rules. staff training is needed in this respect.

Thanks for taking the time to write such a great and detailed review. It was nice to read all the pros and "opportunities". Your pictures were amazing! Can't wait to experience this great ship on May 10th.:)

how can anyone complain about children when sailing on line whose brand is "kids sail free"? granted, nobody likes diapers in the pools, and MSC needs to enforce the rules. staff training is needed in this respect.

I don't mind kids, but 1000 lil helions. :) not for me. Its bad enough the parents don't control a good number of them.

Its bad enough the parents don't control a good number of them.

That is the biggest problem. Parents sitting around having a drink while their rug rats are running wild. They just completely ignore it. I saw that day and night, over and over again on DIVINA. You need a license to have a pet and I think one should be required to have a kid as well! Some of these people had no business being parents.

Well I suppose the kids are on vacation too. And they wish to spend their vacations having what they perceive as fun. Sitting have a quiet drink would not be the choice of most children I know. ;)

I have no counter argument for lousy or useless parents. :p

Kids gone wild. As a mom of 4 kids ages 12-5...I am fully in touch with wanting to have one or 12 drinks and completely ignore my kids on vacation. Unless of course they set fire to something or knock an elderly person to the ground :) Some days I am really ready to blow my brains out between work and the kids...joking of course but I can't even use the bathroom in peace.

Having said that..when I am with the kids I don't even really consider it vacation. Vacation is without kids. Can you tell I have parental fatigue and am not going to win mom of the year? lol When I am on vacation and my kids are with grandma and grandpa and I see kids running wild and being annoying... I just sit back and smile and thank god they are not mine and I don't have to deal with them.

Its all about where you are coming from...my life is insanely crazy. So when I get to step outside of that life...but see someone else's crazy...it makes me really appreciate that brief time on vacation when I left my crazy shoreside.

I look forward to the day when my life is calm enough that I can be annoyed by someone else's crazy life. Then I will know...things have settled down.

When I get on the Divinia in October....will I have kids with me? NO... Everyone breath a collective sigh of relief. BUT...I will have my mother!!!!

As usual your review is well balanced and full of details.

I sail Divina on Sept 13th for my birthday and couldn't be more excited. Me, I hope the product is not too "Americanized" as I like a European environment.

This ship has gotten a lot of negative comments.......but I expect its from people that either want things like they have at home or are hooked on another line and continually compare things to their favorite.

My only issue preboarding is that the ship is too big. I prefer something smaller and am excited to read the news that MSC is rebuilding their 4 smaller ships. I may even try the refurbished Armonia in the med summer of 2015.

After the Divina in Sept I am sailing the Getaway in November.....talk about different types of products. All I need to do is now add a Costa ship minus the Farcus interiors. Maybe the Diadema?????

So I look forward the Divina, your review only excited me more. THANK YOU!

Tom

Eroller,

Thank you for such an awesome review. I love your photos; it looks like you covered the entire ship! It's great to hear that you had a nice time, even with all the kiddies on-board. I can't wait until we sail on the Divina in late September.

As usual your review is well balanced and full of details.

I sail Divina on Sept 13th for my birthday and couldn't be more excited. Me, I hope the product is not too "Americanized" as I like a European environment.

This ship has gotten a lot of negative comments.......but I expect its from people that either want things like they have at home or are hooked on another line and continually compare things to their favorite.

My only issue preboarding is that the ship is too big. I prefer something smaller and am excited to read the news that MSC is rebuilding their 4 smaller ships. I may even try the refurbished Armonia in the med summer of 2015.

After the Divina in Sept I am sailing the Getaway in November.....talk about different types of products. All I need to do is now add a Costa ship minus the Farcus interiors. Maybe the Diadema?????

So I look forward the Divina, your review only excited me more. THANK YOU!

Tom

I'm glad you enjoyed the review and I think you will enjoy DIVINA. I would like to return myself but it will be when kids are in school. I think that will make a huge difference in my enjoyment of the ship. I don't think DIVINA and GETAWAY will be as different as you think. They are both very large, mass-market experiences. I'm almost willing to bet you will enjoy DIVINA more, especially if you like fantastic pool areas and amazing entertainment. These are really strong points on DIVINA. From what I have seen of the pool areas on GETAWAY, they are not that great. Instead the decks are crowded with all those water slides and ropes course. Fun for sure but I think in the end I would prefer more expansive deck space and larger pools which DIVINA offers. GETAWAY does have a fantastic choice of dining experiences, more than DIVINA.

Although DIVINA has been somewhat Americanized, she still has that feel and flair of a European ship. I think it's a nice balance right now. Several years back I sailed on MSC OPERA and quite enjoyed the experience, but most of my fellow North American passengers did not because it wasn't Americanized enough for them. If MSC wants to be in this market, they had no choice but to cater to North Americans more than they were.

You mention the DIADEMA. It's nothing more than a Carnival Dream Class ship. Very big and very crowded and having sailed on CARNIVAL BREEZE I can say this with certainty. Mass-market in Europe is just as bad as mass-market in the US and perhaps worse. On Costa you can expect to listen to those endless revenue producing announcements in five languages! Also, hate to be the bearer of bad news but Joe Farcus is still responsible for the interiors of DIADEMA. Funny enough Carnival has dropped Farcus as their interior designer, but Costa continues to use him. The CARNIVAL BREEZE had her interiors designed by PartnerShip who is also responsible for the AIDA interiors. The result was quite pleasant but the ship was always so crowded it was hard to take notice of the decor. The Destiny/Conquest/Splendor/Dream Class ships are not all that well designed to begin with IMO. Their basic layout dates back to 1996 and Carnival is still getting mileage out of them!

Not too long ago my partner and I sailed on what I consider to be the best ship in the Costa fleet, the COSTA neoROMANTICA. Small and intimate, and with a stunning decor that rivals Crystal Cruises. Frankly I felt the ship was too nice for the Costa product and would be better suited under Azamara or Oceania. As two of only a handful of American's onboard, it was a very different experience compared to mass-market North American Style, and not all in a positive way. As much as I loved the ship itself, I have no desire to return to Costa anytime soon. Anyway you can check out the review and tons of photos here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1844743

Ernie

Edited by eroller

Eroller,

Thank you for such an awesome review. I love your photos; it looks like you covered the entire ship! It's great to hear that you had a nice time, even with all the kiddies on-board. I can't wait until we sail on the Divina in late September.

You're welcome!! I'm sure you are going to love DIVINA!

I would like to thank you for a excellent and balanced review from your cruise on the beautiful MSC Divina. And WOW, fantastic high quality photos from the interior and exterior of the ship, great. We will set sail in August for the first time in Caribbean on this lady, can't wait:D

WOW B2B and in the Yacht Club plus the first time in the Caribbean! You are going to have a blast. I don't think you can go wrong.

The Caribbean is fantastic, but if you can try to get away from the crowded and tourist ridden areas that most of the ships dock at. Usually just a few miles away is the true Caribbean. Quiet, serene, incredibly beautiful. I've been countless times and still love it. In St. Thomas, but sure to take the ferry over to St. John. Unspoiled paradise.