Delighted by DIVINA? Find out!

eroller

Well done on such a fantastic review - I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread this morning.

I usually don't follow the Divina threads - I don't plan to sail the Caribbean on her. However, it's interesting to read about the "Americanisation" of her compared with the Med sailings. I'm considering trying her out when she sails the Med next year.

I haven't looked through your photos but, having seen others of the ship, I would agree regarding the decor. I feel the same about the colour scheme onboard Preziosa - I think it's too grey and doesn't complement the beautiful Swarovski staircase at all. Splendida has a much nicer, softer decor in my opinion.

I'm now off to spend the afternoon browsing through your photos - there's been so many good reviews about them :D

We can not thank you enough for such a complete and objective review. Husband and I enjoyed reading it as we will be sailing on the Divina in October.

We also wanted to compliment you on the wonderful pictures! The lighting and composition were such awesome.

Thank you for taking the time to do this "labor of love" for so many of us to enjoy.

Happy sailings!!

Olivia and Patrick

What a fantastic selection of photos! You've shown me areas of the ship I hadn't been to on any of her other 3 sister ships :rolleyes: Can't wait to check them out on my upcoming cruise on Preziosa (if I can tear myself away from the Yacht Club enclave :p)

Ernest - thanks for the detailed review. I'll be sailing on Divina in a few months, and have been reading quite a bit about what to expect. I haven't cruised much *hardly at all* so appreciate learning more before we sail.

I have a couple of questions. My apologies if you've addressed them in the pages of comments to your review, but I didn't see them here.

Regarding the app: Which app did you use/show pictures of? I've checked the Google Playstore, and MSC's website, and can't seem to find the exact same app. Did it require a data connection, or was it available offline?

Also, you noted that the ship was at capacity, but very few of your pictures of public areas have any people in them, even the pool areas. Did you take photos early on embark day? I'm just a bit confused since you noted that there were many children on board.

Thanks again for the review and photos!

Ernest - thanks for the detailed review. I'll be sailing on Divina in a few months, and have been reading quite a bit about what to expect. I haven't cruised much *hardly at all* so appreciate learning more before we sail.

I have a couple of questions. My apologies if you've addressed them in the pages of comments to your review, but I didn't see them here.

Regarding the app: Which app did you use/show pictures of? I've checked the Google Playstore, and MSC's website, and can't seem to find the exact same app. Did it require a data connection, or was it available offline?

Also, you noted that the ship was at capacity, but very few of your pictures of public areas have any people in them, even the pool areas. Did you take photos early on embark day? I'm just a bit confused since you noted that there were many children on board.

Thanks again for the review and photos!

The app is only available when onboard - it's only available on Divina, too. It provides information for passengers specific to that week that you're aboard.

In relation to the "empty-looking" ship - I believe Ernest mentioned that he takes his photos at around 11am on port days as most people have breakfasted and left the ship for shore visits and haven't returned yet for lunch!

Hope you (and Ernest!) don't mind me answering

The app is only available when onboard - it's only available on Divina, too. It provides information for passengers specific to that week that you're aboard.

In relation to the "empty-looking" ship - I believe Ernest mentioned that he takes his photos at around 11am on port days as most people have breakfasted and left the ship for shore visits and haven't returned yet for lunch!

Thank you!

So, I'm assuming then that you must subscribe to the internet package in order to download the app... Thanks again for your reply!

Thank you!

So, I'm assuming then that you must subscribe to the internet package in order to download the app... Thanks again for your reply!

Catydid,,you just need to connect to MSC's network to use the app,,no internet package is necessary. We had trouble getting it to work the first time, we went to guest relations and they helped us out.:)

Thanks Bea you are spot on!

Catydid,,you just need to connect to MSC's network to use the app, no internet package is necessary. We had trouble getting it to work the first time, we went to guest relations and they helped us out.:)
Thanks! I'll have my smart phone because I love to use the GPS app while sailing. The MSC app looks pretty cool and useful!

Thanks! I'll have my smart phone because I love to use the GPS app while sailing. The MSC app looks pretty cool and useful!

Catdid,,,you'll be connecting to MSC's local intranet,,not the internet,,so be careful when using other apps that need either internet or LTE, 4G, 3G,, whatever your phone uses for data

Catdid,,,you'll be connecting to MSC's local intranet,,not the internet,,so be careful when using other apps that need either internet or LTE, 4G, 3G,, whatever your phone uses for data
Yep, got that. I use a GPS app that allows you to download maps ahead of time, so you're not using data. But thanks for the reminder!

Thank you!

Its not an application to download per se. Its web browser base. You login to the local intranet, and you will see the link that brings you to the information.

Your photos are so beautiful, thank you for sharing. I'm so excited for October adventure, we've been on many cruises and many lines but this seems really special. Which brings up my question, my husband and I are very casual dressers when we are on vacation, nothing inappropriate, but do you think we'll feel out of place? We felt a little looked down upon when we cruised on Celebrity, I hope that's not what we're in for here as well. We follow all the rules as far as dining room dress codes, but in a casual way.

Your photos are so beautiful, thank you for sharing. I'm so excited for October adventure, we've been on many cruises and many lines but this seems really special. Which brings up my question, my husband and I are very casual dressers when we are on vacation, nothing inappropriate, but do you think we'll feel out of place? We felt a little looked down upon when we cruised on Celebrity, I hope that's not what we're in for here as well. We follow all the rules as far as dining room dress codes, but in a casual way.

You will be fine. MSC DIVINA was quite a casual ship, even on formal nights. I really didn't see any tuxes, perhaps just some jackets and very few ties. I think you would be fine even without a jacket for the guys and just a dress shirt and slacks on formal night. It's your vacation so dress how you feel comfortable (within reason! LOL).

As I am nearing my Sept sailing on Divina I decided to reread your review. Again thank you for the info. I am excited to sail this ship and see what MSC is all about. I am easy to please as long as the ship is clean and the service is good. Sept....maybe fewer kids. Kids are kids, its the parents that need to be addressed.:o

I am curious to see how the veterans get together and the LGBT get together are handled. I love the veterans gathering on Princess and will find it interesting to see if on Divina the meeting is attended by vets from European military services.

As an Italian ship I am hoping veal will be served.....not expecting the beef to be special.

As for the Getaway in Nov as a comparison.....I don't expect to see any similarities. NCL has a soft spot for me as it was on one of their ships I took my first cruise. The Getaway looks too hotel to me, not enough ship. But NCL is making money and I want to see what the current product is all about. I even booked the NCL Sun for next March......a small old ship. It will be interesting to sail her...like going back in time...no slides, no rock wall, and fewer people. Almost a time capsule. Booked the first Caribbean sailing on NCL Escape, but may change that to MSC for fall 2015. Need to squeeze a Star Clipper cruise in some how.

For something exotic, booked the Sea Princess for March 2016 to Papua New Guinea. The ship which appears to be worn out is due for an overhaul in Oct 2015 so she should be refreshed for my sailing. You should book this cruise.....talk about off the beaten path....10 days out of Brisbane:rolleyes:

For now its Divina......can wait to sail her and get on a European style cruise once again.

Ciao for now

Tom

As I am nearing my Sept sailing on Divina I decided to reread your review. Again thank you for the info. I am excited to sail this ship and see what MSC is all about. I am easy to please as long as the ship is clean and the service is good. Sept....maybe fewer kids. Kids are kids, its the parents that need to be addressed.:o

I am curious to see how the veterans get together and the LGBT get together are handled. I love the veterans gathering on Princess and will find it interesting to see if on Divina the meeting is attended by vets from European military services.

As an Italian ship I am hoping veal will be served.....not expecting the beef to be special.

As for the Getaway in Nov as a comparison.....I don't expect to see any similarities. NCL has a soft spot for me as it was on one of their ships I took my first cruise. The Getaway looks too hotel to me, not enough ship. But NCL is making money and I want to see what the current product is all about. I even booked the NCL Sun for next March......a small old ship. It will be interesting to sail her...like going back in time...no slides, no rock wall, and fewer people. Almost a time capsule. Booked the first Caribbean sailing on NCL Escape, but may change that to MSC for fall 2015. Need to squeeze a Star Clipper cruise in some how.

For something exotic, booked the Sea Princess for March 2016 to Papua New Guinea. The ship which appears to be worn out is due for an overhaul in Oct 2015 so she should be refreshed for my sailing. You should book this cruise.....talk about off the beaten path....10 days out of Brisbane:rolleyes:

For now its Divina......can wait to sail her and get on a European style cruise once again.

Ciao for now

Tom

Tom I think you will enjoy MSC DIVINA. You seem like a "go with the flow" kind of person and that is the right attitude for MSC. Not everything will be like Princess, NCL, or Royal Caribbean but that is a good thing. Variety is the spice of life!

I don't have the soft spot for NCL like you do. I used to back when they had the NORWAY (an all time fave) but generally speaking NCL has been the most inconsistent of every major line I've sailed. Cruising on NCL can be a crap shoot and I never know how the experience will be. I really need to give them another chance with the Breakaway Class. In fact I'm pretty sure I will be booking the maiden voyage of the ESCAPE from Southampton to Miami. Maybe I can sneak in a GETAWAY sailing before then? Regarding the SKY, I sailed on her two years ago. I wasn't impressed at all. Trashy is word that comes to mind … for both the ship and the pax that were on my short sailing.

The SEA PRINCESS sailing sounds wonderful although I'm not a huge fan of this class of ship. Maybe with the refurbishment I would like the ship better? Cabins are small and the decor feels very dated (like most of Princess ships with the exception of Royal & Regal).

Next up for me is the re-imagined DISNEY MAGIC in September out of San Juan for a week, then the maiden voyage of QUANTUM OF THE SEAS in November for a trans-atlantic crossing out of Southampton. I'm very excited about both trips! Nothing booked so far after those two.

Ernie

ps - I'm also very anxious to try Star Clippers, most likely the ROYAL CLIPPER. I sailed on Windstar and loved the experience, and Star Clippers would be so much more authentic.

Star Clippers.....been on all three of their ships.......LOVED them. To me Wind Star is a motor sailer....Clipper are true sailing ships. To be on one is to be on a yacht. Try them in the Caribbean where they have the wind as compared to the med which can be calm. That being said I would like to get on them in the Greek Islands next summer if money allows.

Nuff about other lines as this thread is about the Divina.

Tom

We were on this same cruise and agree that the kids were a problem in some venues (took over several of the nightclubs, running around and playing tag!). However, it was still one of the best cruises we've ever been on, and it was our 14th. We've sailed HAL, Princess, RCL, Celebrity and Carnival, so a good variety from which to base our opinion.

We absolutely LOVED this ship - the layout, the decor, the entertainment (spectacular!), the Allegrissimo Escape drink coupons, the incredible selection of great cocktails, the beautiful balcony cabin, the European feel. I really felt like I was in the Med. It ranks up there as one of my all-time favorite cruises. I'd love to be able to cruise her again. Unfortunately, our next cruise is one we'll be taking two of our grandkids on next July, and the Divina won't be here! Boohoo. Nothing will compare. We'd book her again in a nano-second.

Thank you Ernie for your awesome review of MSC Divina. We just booked for the same route in September and are really excited to sail on this beautiful ship.

Since it is our first cruise with MSC I took the time to read many reviews and was a bit concerned about the comments of bad customer service and mediocre quality of the food.

I guess we all have our point of view. We will get on board with an open mind and a sense of adventure and hope to have a wonderful experience.

Thank you again!

Ciao for now

Tom

Tom, I was on Breakaway, Getaway's sister ship, in May and I found it more shiplike than the Divina, thanks to the Waterfront outdoor promenade on Deck 8. The outside promenade deck on Divina is just a walking space. It doesn't have the seating areas that the Waterfront has and to me that's what makes a great cruise ship. I don't consider it a real ship when you have to hike to the pool decks to have a look at the sea. The infinity pool on Divina is great and I enjoyed that a lot more than the pool area on Breakaway. For a ship as big as Breakaway they really don't have the proper size pool area. I am booked on Divina in October but only because I booked a single for a crazy rate of $372.44. I'd be interested to see what you have to say after you sailed both ships. Bon Voyage!

Edited by cruise pup