Soot soot soot

I've had several aft cabins and have never seen soot. I'd hate to find out the hard way by sitting down in a chair to have a drink wearing something white. :mad:

I would probably be a little disappointed also if I paid for a ATS and couldn't enjoy it to its fullest because of soot flying on my clothes.

Be careful visiting the Aqua Theater, those chairs are quite often covered with soot. To be safe I always took a pool towel.

How I learned about soot...

First cruise, SS Norway, wearing high heels out on Pool Deck under a moonlit sky, standing at the rail, watching the wake.

Took sore feet out of shoes one at a time to let them rest flat on cool teak deck for a brief moment.

Back in cabin, removed shoes to discover both feet were BLACK!

As someone so astutely said, soot happens. Lessoned learned. No bare feet on outer decks or balconies. Ever. :D

I don't care where it comes from! When you pay 15k for a deck you would like it to be usable! Go roll your eyes somewhere else!

If you don't like it on RCCL then you will not like The Royal Princess. They have just about the same issue with Soot. I think it is something we will have to deal with on many of the new builds till they come up with a solution.

Soot is still a huge problem on Oasis ATS deck! I will post pictures shortly.

Having read the rest of the post I have come back to the OP when did you find the soot on your balcony was it first thing in the morning ?

Having served at sea on ships you can compare a ships funnel to a chimney at home you burn fuel in the chimney which cause soot, which you employ a sweep clean once maybe twice a year, ships burning diesel which also produce soot. Try find a sweep who is willing to clean the funnels so most modern ship during the night will do what is call blowing soot i.e cleaning the funnels.

That is why some if not most morning staff are washing down the outside desks.

Having soot on your balcony is part off cruising or book a ocean view instead

Edited by BARNET

Deck 17 aft balconies get soot too on Oasis Class ships. We have experienced it on CLS, SLS and the RLS. We did not experience it on port or starboard suite balconies.

If we left swim wear out at night to dry we always expected some soot on the articles as well as on the balcony flooring. I guess we have seen it enough to expect it, but if it was our first cruise it would come as a surprise.

Try a different cabin on either side of the ship and you should have much better luck.

soot happens. you should be wearing sandles with them size 14 feet. I know I always wear sandles I am never barefoot on a cruise :|

Try size 10, not that it matters. Like your opinion and most of the others that say it is no big deal. It is a big deal, when I pay for something I will have what I paid for. And that includes being barefoot on my deck. Why would you not go barefoot? Most of the people on here act like you are calling their mother a bad name if you say something about RCCL.

Soot comes from Diesel trucks, Diesel railroad locomotives, and Diesel powered ships.

The smoke stacks are near the aft end of the ships to limit the soot falling on the decks. The soot falls on decks based on which way the wind is blowing.

If you don't want soot, get a cabin forward of the smoke stacks.

[quote name='warbar']Try size 10, not that it matters. Like your opinion and most of the others that say it is no big deal. It is a big deal, when I pay for something I will have what I paid for. And that includes being barefoot on my deck. Why would you not go barefoot? Most of the people on here act like you are calling their mother a bad name if you say something about RCCL.[/QUOTE]
The thing is, it happens. If the research was done prior to you picking your location you might have chosen a location elsewhere. You can't change it nor can RCI or any other cruise ship.

[quote name='warbar']Like your opinion and most of the others that say it is no big deal. It is a big deal, when I pay for something I will have what I paid for. And that includes being barefoot on my deck. Why would you not go barefoot? /QUOTE]

The cabins I listed earlier which we have stayed in cost the same if not more than the ATS (except the CLS), and like I said in my previous post it is part of aft cruising. We go out bare foot and we accept it for what it is.

If it is that much of an issue pick a port or starboard cabin where you will not experience soot. If you are worried about being in a suite there are GS, OS, RFS, and RS that might please you. This is a common occurrence on any line with aft balconies, or at least aft of the stacks. Suite or regular balcony, all can be effected.

If you cruise again that would be my suggestion for whatever line you choose. Edited by A&L_Ont

I believe any amount of soot is NOT acceptable.

We sail in aft cabins exclusively. I switched to an aft-facing balcony cabin on hubby's first ever cruise and he is hooked. We have been lucky and have been soot-less. Perhaps it's the luck of the Radiance Class, our preference. Perhaps we are just lucky---we have cruised on others than Radiance Class.

I don't buy the "look, their soot is worse" reasoning.

No soot is good soot. Edited by Donut23

We had family staying on the corner aft of Rhapsody, and one afternoon they had the balcony door open for a few hours. They noticed some soot on the white bedding. Not a lot, but they were a bit surprised.

We asked a room attendant about soot issues on another RCI ship, and he said it depends on wind and weather conditions, and like someone else said, what they are burning. They do burn their waste food etc at times.

I wear bare feet plenty. The obsession on these boards sometimes on never touching anything ever with any part of the body and lathering yourself in antiseptics is unhealthy in my opinion!