has RC ever lost luggage from port to boat?

Did you purchase trip insurance at the curb??? Tipping the porter may not prevent lost or damaged luggage, but it will lower the odds. Always tip the porter.

I'm not sure I believe this. One time I tipped the porter and he left ALL of my bags on the sidewalk. He didn't even put them on the cart! Then he ran off to get his next tip.

That made me very :mad:

Now I wait until they load up everything.

Edited by marci22

Guest maddycat
We've got to do that to our bags. We lucked out in that it was a local that had taken our bag. If it had been someone with a flight, it would have been more complicated.

They sell some great designed duct tape that would be perfect for decorating your luggage. I just bought a roll of Scotch brand duct tape on clearance at Target today.

Back in 1984, we had a garment bag go missing that we had given to the porter at embarkation. In addition to the luggage tag, it had a business card in the appropriate pocket and a personal luggage tag on it.

This was particularly troublesome as it had all our "dress" clothes in it. Back then you dressed for all dinners in at least church clothes, coat and tie for the men. My young boys were thrilled (lol). Not so many ships so the garment bag had to be in one of three places--the pier; the Fantasy which was leaving at the same time; or on the ship somewhere. Carnival took little interest in locating it and offered us nothing because we had no proof we had given it to the porter.

Formal night I wanted to put a sign on the back of DH saying "I'm not tacky, Carnival lost my luggage." DH wouldn't let me. One of our table mates loaned him a sports coat to wear. I did have a red satin pant suit in my luggage which I wore every night to dinner. I would tell my table mates "This isn't a red satin pant suit, it is a designer ........ which I got on sale for $1,500 or so. As the week progressed, my duds got fancier and the price went up! I never wore that pant suit again when I got home.

What was strange is that when we disembarked, the garment bag was right next to our other luggage which the ship had disembarked! While the ship's tag was missing, the other two were in place.

Because of that experience, I now carry on anything I have to have along with a formal outfit, a couple of changes of clothes, bathing suit, etc. On a week's cruise, we can get by with just a carry-on each. On the longer cruises, I cross pack, of course, and I pack by "outfits" so I can limp along. I never count the cruise as officially starting until all my suitcases are delivered and muster drill done!

After having one of our suitcases go missing after disembarkation, we now carry off all our luggage. We managed to locate the missing bag in the port lost and found thanks to a great guy who got off his rear end and searched for it there. Celebrity did nothing to help us locate it. All tags were in place including the ship's disembarkation tag and an itinerary with our hotel information was right on top of the unlocked bag. Fortunately, we were staying overnight so we had time to chase it down. It took many phone calls with help from the hotel (we were in Amsterdam) and the rest of the day. Otherwise, I doubt we would have ever seen it again. Two other times our bags have not been where they should have been but we have found them before leaving the port. That was before you could carry off your luggage.

Tucker in Texas

On one of our cruises, there was a couple whose luggage was dropped in the water and not retrieved.

Gosh, I remember when that happened.

Also, another time when one of the big carts of luggage fell into the water. :eek:

LuLu

~~~

I stencil our initials on all sides of our bags so no one can mistake them for their own. Some people on here have said that that would ruin the luggage, but I say no one will accidently take ours. I am afraid that if I use tape that it will tear off, so therefore the paint.

I stencil our initials on all sides of our bags so no one can mistake them for their own. Some people on here have said that that would ruin the luggage, but I say no one will accidently take ours. I am afraid that if I use tape that it will tear off, so therefore the paint.

I think I may pick up fabric paint and do this. Thanks for the idea.

I saw it happen. Doing the Mariner out of TX two years ago we were sitting on the balcony waiting to sail when we saw a luggage cart break loose from the tug and go right over the side of the pier into the water. It seemed pretty funny only because we had our luggage already. So I guess technically they didn't "loose it" but I am sure there were a few unhappy passengers with wet clothes. We didn't hang around long enough to see if they fished the cart out. I sort of doubt they did as it was between the ship and the pier so I am thinking way to dangerous until after the ship left.

Saw this happen as well on the Jewel out of Boston several years back - speaking with someone at the bar who was affected - luggage was retrieved - everything washed or dry cleaned - shoes ruined but Royal paid him for the shoes - he was OK with it. Great attitude.

I had a bag that found it's way into the water when they were loading the bins onto the ship. RCCL was very nice to us about it. It is still a fun story to tell.......there's a cruise review of it floating around here somewhere.

Better to have luggage labeled with tape or stencil than no luggage! In airports it is very common to have people take the wrong bags.....:D

A couple of times I've found my luggage outside the hall in front of the wrong cabin. Sometimes the cabin attendant will open the cabin door and put the luggage inside, so I suppose if the luggage were misdelivered that would be one way for it to be lost. I would hope the "wrong cabin" passenger would deliver the luggage, or at least call their attendant to have it delivered. I was on one sailing where someone told me they did not get one of their bags until mid-cruise, because it was delivered to the wrong cabin and those "wrong cabin" passengers did nothing to report it. It was a cabin attendant who finally found it and properly delivered it.

On my last several sailings, I've put an extra label on my luggage using folded-over masking tape. Works well.

Edited by Jimnbigd

A couple of times I've found my luggage outside the hall in front of the wrong cabin. Sometimes the cabin attendant will open the cabin door and put the luggage inside, so I suppose if the luggage were misdelivered that would be one way for it to be lost. I would hope the "wrong cabin" passenger would deliver the luggage, or at least call their attendant to have it delivered. I was on one sailing where someone told me they did not get one of their bags until mid-cruise, because it was delivered to the wrong cabin and those "wrong cabin" passengers did nothing to report it. It was a cabin attendant who finally found it and properly delivered it.

On my last several sailings, I've put an extra label on my luggage using folded-over masking tape. Works well.

That reminds me of the time that they delivered someone else's suitcase to our room. It had a hand-written luggage tag from the porter. Apparently they had changed cabins at some point, but never reprinted their Set Sail Passes, which I thought was kinda odd considering we had booked the cabin 4 months out.

My aunt and uncle booked a P&O relocation cruise from Southampton which included coach travel to the port from their home. The coach driver put there bags in a different place to everyone else's as it was full in the main hold. At the port they joked with the driver about forgetting their luggage, but yes you guessed it - they did. The ship had not left the port when they realised they were missing, but the ship staff would not listen to them about the coach, instead insisting that the cases would be on the ship somewhere and they would turn up.

3 days at sea with just the clothes they stood in and a few bits gifted to them from the shop. Their daughter located their cases and the coach company offered to send someone to fly over with their cases to meet the ship, but at the airport they asked the man if he'd packed the cases himself and he said 'no' so they refused him travel. The cases never made it for the entire 12 day trip.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Just another suggestion, I wrap each bag with a different colored nylon strap. It helps the bag stand out AND has the benefit of securing the bag closed in case of a zipper breaking.

In addition, the first photo on my camera card is always my contact info. Starting at picture two it is the luggage belted shut. I carry the camera, if a bag is ever missing I can instantly show what it looks like.

Hope this these simple ideas help someone out there

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk

This is why I want to get better at packing and have just a small carry on case. We haven't had problems with lost luggage on a ship...yet, but had a couple of issues on flights. We have had our luggage get wet one time while going from the check in tent onto the ship at Sydney. A book was very wrinkly, and some other things we damp. I was very glad we had our electronic items in our backpacks.

We have also done the self debarking with our luggage. Our only issue with that was rolling those heavy bags we had over the long corridor carpet as we were near the aft. Then we had someone pick us and another couple up in a dual cab utility and we nearly couldn't fit all our stuff in the back tray area. We need to pack less so we can easily carry stuff ourselves!

I've not heard of any theft and I am very sorry if this is so but when we were travelling on Brilliance a few years ago, the lift equipment failed as luggage was moved to the ship and a couple luggage lifts were lost in the river. A lot of bags were lost and were not able to be recovered. I didn't hear how RCI handled it but I knew the crew were very distressed. Some metal broke on the grips and that was the cause of the collapse.

Wow this thread got me thinking we did a cruise out of Port Canaveral in Sept. There was 6 of us and when we got our luggage some of the clothes were damp in a couple suitcase and my sons and my suitcase had some pretty wet clothes we thought it was from the rain but wasn't sure how it got under the canopies, but maybe they took a dip! RCI did give us a couple bags that we filled and they dried our clothes for us!

I've never had a bag lost, but I have carried off my own bags on all but one cruise.

On my first cruise, however, Royal destroyed one of my bags getting it the room. I think it probably fall off the top of a chart. Ripped the whole side panel off and a little more, I was really worried I wouldn't be able to my stuff home. But I went to guest services, they had me fill out a form with estimated value, etc. Then they took the bag and patched it back together best they could. After I got home, I had to get an estimate for repair and since it was more than the value of the bag, they paid me for the bag.

I will say they did a very good job patching the bag, I rarely use it but it is still going, while every other bag I had on the cruise is fully dead now. This was back in 2006.

Although on my last cruise, I had three bags fail on me. Not the cruise line's fault at all, just three random things.

BTW: I always watch the porters put my bags on the cart.