Norovirus and Immodium

Jaylie

A colleague told us to take Immodium with us when we cruise in a few weeks just in case we get sick. Does that really help? I thought there were no remedies if you picked up that virus. Personally, we aren't really worried anyhow. We are going to wash our hands well and often, and hope for the best! But I am curious about the Immodium suggestion.

A colleague told us to take Immodium with us when we cruise in a few weeks just in case we get sick. Does that really help? I thought there were no remedies if you picked up that virus. Personally, we aren't really worried anyhow. We are going to wash our hands well and often, and hope for the best! But I am curious about the Immodium suggestion.

Since norovirus is a virus, you treat symptoms. I travel with Imodium, Pepto Bismol and an electrolyte mix that can be added to water. The electrolyte mix helps restore electrolytes and prevent dehydration. I also take travel disinfectant sheets that are approved to remove norovirus from surfaces.

The best approach of course is prevention.

It's something I take on every cruise..... 'touch wood' I never have to use it.

I would have thought the ship's doctor would give you a jab for the nausea?

NO! - No antidiarrheal should be taken with diarrhea caused by viruses or bacteria! - it can prolong the effects of the infection by fascilitating retaining the toxins that cause the diarrhea and by doing so make the infection much worse than what it otherwise would be.

Immodium in the travel emergency kit should only be taken if having diarrhea and needing to travel on i.e an airplane to get through the travel, realizing that there may be a price to pay later, but may be worth it if means getting to proper medical care/facilities

In case of any diarrhea, including from Noro, it is essential to keep hydrated by drinking fluid, preferrably with electrolytes such as gatorade, vitamin drinks or even Sprite. Some teas, broth are good too. I recommend small frequent sips if nauseated, make sure the sip is settled before taking the next sip, but continue to do it throughout waking hours. A good gauge for whether one is keeping up on hydration is whether the urine is strong colored and strong smelling (if so --> may indicate dehydration), dizziness when standing up, skinfold on back of hand hand standing up after being pinched, very dry mouth --> if that happens, it may be necessary seek medical help to get some IV fluids to prevent the kidneys (and other body organs) to be damaged.

Edited by Cruiselover1951

It will help but you should also report any intestinal illness to the Medical Center. If you self-treat without notifying them, you'll spread the virus and your cabin won't be deep cleaned for the next passengers. This is why ships get the bad rep for being "sick." Would you want to board a ship and go to your cabin not knowing that the previous passenger was sick and didn't report it?

Can you get the virus from food you eat or only from touching surfaces and then touching your face?
Yes, you can get sick from food but you are far more likely to get it from other sick passengers who may have lied on the boarding questionnaire or were sick on a previous cruise and didn't report it. Edited by Pam in CA

NO! - No antidiarrheal should be taken with diarrhea caused by viruses or bacteria! - it can prolong the effects of the infection by fascilitating retaining the toxins that cause the diarrhea and by doing so make the infection much worse than what it otherwise would be.

Immodium in the travel emergency kit should only be taken if having diarrhea and needing to travel on i.e an airplane to get through the travel, realizing that there may be a price to pay later, but may be worth it if means getting to proper medical care/facilities

In case of any diarrhea, including from Noro, it is essential to keep hydrated by drinking fluid, preferrably with electrolytes such as gatorade, vitamin drinks or even Sprite. Some teas, broth are good too. I recommend small frequent sips if nauseated, make sure the sip is settled before taking the next sip, but continue to do it throughout waking hours. A good gauge for whether one is keeping up on hydration is whether the urine is strong colored and strong smelling (if so --> may indicate dehydration), dizziness when standing up, skinfold on back of hand hand standing up after being pinched, very dry mouth --> if that happens, it may be necessary seek medical help to get some IV fluids to prevent the kidneys (and other body organs) to be damaged.

This is the answer I would have given. If you take Immodium then you are not giving the body the chance to get rid of the bacteria naturally.

I do carry Immodium but only for emergency when I would have no other choice than to take it.

Since norovirus is a virus, you treat symptoms. I travel with Imodium, Pepto Bismol and an electrolyte mix that can be added to water. The electrolyte mix helps restore electrolytes and prevent dehydration. I also take travel disinfectant sheets that are approved to remove norovirus from surfaces.

The best approach of course is prevention.

what are your disinfectant contain. If they don't have bleach or virox in them they probably won't work.

That's what the infirmary gives you, plus anti nausea pills.

When DH had Noro, the infirmary nurse who came to our cabin gave him NOTHING ... just told him to drink lots of liquids. It was a very bad 12 hours before it got any better at all.

LuLu

~~~~

Can you get the virus from food you eat or only from touching surfaces and then touching your face?

Really, getting noro from food is rare, except in the following circumstances. All cooked food is maintained either at a temperature where the virus would be killed, or on time (4 hours max after removal from temperature control). All "ready to eat" food like salads, fruits, uncooked vegetables, etc, are sanitized in a chlorine solution before being taken to the food prep areas. However, if someone with contaminated hands touches the tongs for the hamburger buns, and then you use the tongs to pick up your bun, so far the bun is still okay, but your hands are not. Now, you pick up your burger in your contaminated hands, and have contaminated the burger, which you eat. You can also become contaminated if someone does not use a clean glass when using the drink dispenser. Their contaminated glass lip would touch the dispensing bar, and then your glass would touch the same bar. Since you cannot guarantee that everyone follows the rules, I personally use a napkin around the lip of my clean glass to keep it from contacting the dispensing bar. Many ships have gone to the touchless type because of this problem.

"...The US Department of Health and Human Services informs that the most common causes of human norovirus infections are contaminated foods, shellfish, ready-to-eat foods that were handled by infected workers (salads, ice, cookies, fruit and sandwiches), or any food contaminated with the feces or vomit of an infected person.

The norovirus can spread via human contact with an infected person, through contact with contaminated surfaces or objects, or by consuming contaminated water or food.." copied from http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/179107.php

"...The US Department of Health and Human Services informs that the most common causes of human norovirus infections are contaminated foods, shellfish, ready-to-eat foods that were handled by infected workers (salads, ice, cookies, fruit and sandwiches), or any food contaminated with the feces or vomit of an infected person.

The norovirus can spread via human contact with an infected person, through contact with contaminated surfaces or objects, or by consuming contaminated water or food.." copied from http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/179107.php

While this is true for the US in general, the USPH requirements for food safety are far, far stricter than any local or state health code. What restaurant or commercial kitchen sanitizes fruits and vegetables in bleach before serving it. And that is just one example. The USPH inspectors will tell you that the cruise ship VSP requirements have virtually removed food borne illness from the ships.

While this is true for the US in general, the USPH requirements for food safety are far, far stricter than any local or state health code. What restaurant or commercial kitchen sanitizes fruits and vegetables in bleach before serving it. And that is just one example. The USPH inspectors will tell you that the cruise ship VSP requirements have virtually removed food borne illness from the ships.

Thanks for that information; I wasn't aware that cruise ships sanitize fruits and vegetables in bleach. And no, I don't know of any restaurants or commercial kitchen that follow that procedure, perhaps because the practice is not without some controversy. See http://www.extension.umn.edu/food/food-safety/preserving/fruits/handling-fresh-fruits-and-vegetables-safely/ Partial quote: "...While chlorine bleach is used in commercial produce processing facilities, it is not recommended for home or foodservice use. If too much is used, it can be toxic (poisonous). It can also be absorbed into the product and change the flavor..."

But just to mention that I responded with a quote from a medical publication to the question "Can you get the virus from food you eat or only from touching surfaces and then touching your face?" - which was not limited to cruise ships. Anyway, we know that food or beverages can be contaminated if handled by an infected person even if it was sanitized in bleach before hand - so the short answer is yes.

Regarding cruise ships meeting VSP requirements - that's one reason why VSP inspection scores and reports are a valuable resource for passengers. Kudos to the ships that score 100 or thereabouts, and good luck those that do not meet VSP requirements.

It is utterly amazing that anyone would solicit or accept medical advice from non-professional posters on Cruise Critic or any other such site.

My experience or your experience does not, nor will it ever, replace the background, experience, and professional acumen of a physician.

Medical advice should only be sought or accepted from a physician.

Of course that is only my opinion.

Spot on answer....

Asked my doctor before our last cruise and he gave this exact answer!

Especially emphasized not taking Immodium and letting Noro run its course and exit body.

It is utterly amazing that anyone would solicit or accept medical advice from non-professional posters on Cruise Critic or any other such site.

My experience or your experience does not, nor will it ever, replace the background, experience, and professional acumen of a physician.

And some of us would never offer medical advice if not meeting the criteria of your second paragraph!! :rolleyes: (physicians can be cruiselovers too - and wanting to share their experience/expertise with fellow cruiselovers as it relates to cruise related health issues!!)

Edited by Cruiselover1951

what are your disinfectant contain. If they don't have bleach or virox in them they probably won't work.

Clorox makes a disinfectant wipe with bleach for travel. There are also a couple generic brands with the exact same ingredients.

Roses, that makes a heck of a lot of sense.

But I'd go a step further and say that a trusted physician who knows your medical history is not the same as a physician you might encounter on board or in a port of call. Perhaps people should do some research from reputable sites and arrive at some understanding of their personal medical concerns.

Does it hurt to ask a question here? No, I don't think so, as long as the replies are not swallowed whole hog, and further research is encouraged by including reference sites. Perhaps doing some research from reputable sites and arriving at some understanding of their personal medical concerns is beneficial.

Regards,

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

Thanks for that information; I wasn't aware that cruise ships sanitize fruits and vegetables in bleach. And no, I don't know of any restaurants or commercial kitchen that follow that procedure, perhaps because the practice is not without some controversy. See http://www.extension.umn.edu/food/food-safety/preserving/fruits/handling-fresh-fruits-and-vegetables-safely/ Partial quote: "...While chlorine bleach is used in commercial produce processing facilities, it is not recommended for home or foodservice use. If too much is used, it can be toxic (poisonous). It can also be absorbed into the product and change the flavor..."While I won't deny that too much bleach can be toxic, the USPH requirement calls for a 10ppm solution (about 1 tablespoon in 5 gallons of water) for 60 seconds

But just to mention that I responded with a quote from a medical publication to the question "Can you get the virus from food you eat or only from touching surfaces and then touching your face?" - which was not limited to cruise ships. Anyway, we know that food or beverages can be contaminated if handled by an infected person even if it was sanitized in bleach before hand - so the short answer is yes. And I agree with your short answer, but since this forum is about cruising, I thought I'd trend my answer towards that industry. This is why the crew are required to glove up before handling "potentially hazardous, ready to eat food".

Regarding cruise ships meeting VSP requirements - that's one reason why VSP inspection scores and reports are a valuable resource for passengers. Kudos to the ships that score 100 or thereabouts, and good luck those that do not meet VSP requirements.

A couple of aspects that many who have never been inside a ship's galley during an actual meal service won't know, that demonstrate the strictness of the VSP program (which was actually designed by the cruise lines themselves, not the USPH) and the measures used to protect the health of all onboard:

The person who loads the dirty dishes into the dishwashing machine is not allowed to touch the clean dishes as they come out the other end. The person at the clean end, if he/she touches a dirty dish, must wash their hands before returning to clean dishes. There is a handwash sink required at each dishwashing station.

When your wait staff buss dirty dishes back to the galley, they are required to either change gloves or wash their hands before touching a plate containing food for service. So a cruise ship waiter may wash his hands 6-10 times during meal service. What staff ashore does this?