Carnival Victory - Awoken by water out of ceiling

SconnieMom

[quote name='SconnieMom']Just off the Carnival Victory. I'm awoken by my teenage daughter in a panic at my door. SHE in turn had been awoken by water raining down on her out of the ceiling speaker in her cabin next door.

In the end a steady stream of water was coming out of the speaker as well as both corners of the rooms ceiling. We had to move the two of our family staying in that room into our other interior cabin while I dealt with the crew sent to handle the situation.

I have video on my smartphone of everything, up to the point where a senior member of the 5 people dealing with the situation said over a phone "Yes, he is here recording the room on his phone. I will call you back." He walked away down the hall to continue his call. From then on they would try to keep the door closed to the room when I was around. No matter as I had already gotten full video of the situation, including them having to clear all furniture out and rip open the ceiling, and the colored water in the trash bin my daughter had placed to catch the water coming into the room (she likely saved them carpet replacement costs, as they were plastic wrapping the floor a couple hours later to protect it).

I spoke to guest services and they were originally going to try to fix the room. Then they eventually told us they could only relocate 2 of us to a room at the far end of the deck, so our family of 4 no longer had neighboring rooms and we spent the greater part of our at sea day home to MIA dealing with the situation. All guest services was willing to offer was a half day's cabin cost for 2 guests as a credit. This was/is not to my satisfaction and if not resolved better in the near future you'll be able to find the above mentioned video anywhere that can alert others to how poorly they handled the situation.[/QUOTE]

I hate that you had a bad experience, but plumbing failures, things like this simply happen. Its part of life. Yes, if I were in your shoes, I certainly would have been upset. However, with a half day credit, and relocating rooms - that seems fair to me.

My wife and I live in a very nice home in an upcale area in our community. We have a newer home. Guess what happen? I walked through the kitchen the other day and water was coming out of our ceiling light.. It happens.

Wish you the best on future cruises.

[quote name='SconnieMom']There shouldn't BE an opening bid. I shouldn't have to negotiate to get fair compensation.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk[/quote]

Agree 100%. The way that I see it 4 people were affected not just 2. I think any compensation offered by the cruise line should be more than fair as to point where the affected parties would agree that the offer was beyond of what they reasonably expected...

[quote name='gklow'] I think any compensation offered by the cruise line should be more than fair as to point where the affected parties would agree that the offer was beyond of what they reasonably expected...[/quote]

Why? I'm trying really hard to understand and I don't. Why does it need to be MORE than reasonable? I am missing something here.

[quote name='gklow']Agree 100%. The way that I see it 4 people were affected not just 2. I think any compensation offered by the cruise line should be more than fair as to point where the affected parties would agree that the offer was beyond of what they reasonably expected...[/QUOTE]

The offered compensation was more than the tangible value lost by the OP's family. No amount of money can replace time lost, but then again nobody was actually forced to lose more than a small amount of time. That was the OP's decision to oversee and record the cleaning all day (despite having been offered a new cabin).

[quote name='gklow']Agree 100%. The way that I see it 4 people were affected not just 2. I think any compensation offered by the cruise line should be more than fair as to point where the affected parties would agree that the offer was beyond of what they reasonably expected...[/QUOTE]

Four people were not affected, only 2. If they chose to sit in their room all day waiting then that is their issue not Carnival's. It was the last sea day. The 2 that had to move were saved from having to pack later (LOL), but none of them had to sit in a room to wait for anything. Their whole day could have been fine if they wanted it to be.

I have to agree with the majority. While what happened was not great, it was not life threatening or hazardous. Carnival switched rooms for them and credited a half a day for both the folks in the affected cabin. No one else in the party was directly affected so why should they be compensated? I also have to agree that the OP seems to have already decided they needed a free cruise because of this. In fact, the filming of a plumbing problem shows they thought about the free cruise as soon as they found out what happened.

I am sorry you were invonvienced, but I am really not a fan of expecting compensation at every turn. Stuff happens. They moved you and thus you were made comfortable. They gave you something for your trouble. I really think you just need to move on.

OP I am sorry that you had a problem on your last sea day. When you describe the situation you sound very confrontational and this will make the staff nervous. I don't know what you do for a living but I know that if someone was video taping my every move at work I would be very uncomfortable.

Why did you start right out filming everything? That is the last thing I would have even thought of doing. Why did you have to spend so much time "dealing" with the staff.

I would have removed all valuables from the room and gone out and done my thing while maybe checking back intermittently.

Compensation could have been better but I do think it was fair.

I filmed because it is proof of "a couple drops of water" vs. the truth. No need to debate the severity when you have video. You all seem to miss the fact that I have told them before leaving what I thought was fair, and I emailed the same without threats and I've stated here.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

[quote name='SconnieMom']I filmed because it is proof of "a couple drops of water" vs. the truth. No need to debate the severity when you have video. You all seem to miss the fact that I have told them before leaving what I thought was fair, and I emailed the same without threats and I've stated here.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

And why would you need proof except as an attempt to get more from them.

I am curious as to what compensation you deem as fair?

This whole thread cracks me up. If it were me, I'd make sure no personal belongings were ruined and there were no health risks. If all that was good, I would either move my belongings to the side so they could fix the problem or have them move into the new room. Meanwhile I would be up on the lido deck enjoying the last day of my vacation and having a drink of the day, meanwhile having a good story to tell other people while sitting there. Of course not everybody thinks like me, and that's probably a good thing sometimes ha ha. But seriously nobody was injured, there was nothing lost and accept the fact that sometimes unexpected things happen in life! I don't think that it's wrong for you to try to get more if you feel your cruise was ruined, but don't badmouth carnival for offering you what most people would think is fair.

Your video would do nothing, next time take a video of the rain while sitting at grand Turk beach or something and send it to CNN saying that grand Turk is horrible because it rains all the time! Unless the maintenance people or staff we're doing something inappropriate, it's the same thing. Edited by skidawg79

[quote name='SconnieMom']I filmed because it is proof of "a couple drops of water" vs. the truth. No need to debate the severity when you have video. You all seem to miss the fact that I have told them before leaving what I thought was fair, and I emailed the same without threats and I've stated here.

Who said it was just "a couple drops of water"? It seems to me that by offering the new room and eventually a small credit that the company acknowledged there was, in fact, a problem.

I'm not sure the "truth" is being disputed by Carnival here...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

I am not trying to be argumentative but I just don't see how the amount of water even has a bearing here. One cup of water, 5 cups of water, or a bucket of water.

If it damaged your belongings that would be different. The people involved were given a new room and some OBC and that seems like it should be enough.

[quote name='SconnieMom']Just off the Carnival Victory. I'm awoken by my teenage daughter in a panic at my door. SHE in turn had been awoken by water raining down on her out of the ceiling speaker in her cabin next door.

In the end a steady stream of water was coming out of the speaker as well as both corners of the rooms ceiling. We had to move the two of our family staying in that room into our other interior cabin while I dealt with the crew sent to handle the situation.

I have video on my smartphone of everything, up to the point where a senior member of the 5 people dealing with the situation said over a phone "Yes, he is here recording the room on his phone. I will call you back." He walked away down the hall to continue his call. From then on they would try to keep the door closed to the room when I was around. No matter as I had already gotten full video of the situation, including them having to clear all furniture out and rip open the ceiling, and the colored water in the trash bin my daughter had placed to catch the water coming into the room (she likely saved them carpet replacement costs, as they were plastic wrapping the floor a couple hours later to protect it).

I spoke to guest services and they were originally going to try to fix the room. Then they eventually told us they could only relocate 2 of us to a room at the far end of the deck, so our family of 4 no longer had neighboring rooms and we spent the greater part of our at sea day home to MIA dealing with the situation. All guest services was willing to offer was a half day's cabin cost for 2 guests as a credit. This was/is not to my satisfaction and if not resolved better in the near future you'll be able to find the above mentioned video anywhere that can alert others to how poorly they handled the situation.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but I do believe you are overreacting to this. Despite how it may have looked, unless your daughter's cabin was directly under a galley or bar, the water leak would have been in a drinking water pipe, and the discoloration was caused by the dirt on top of the cabin ceiling panels. The front line crew dealing with a situation like this, even a "senior member" are not the ones who can discuss compensation or even relocation. They are there to handle the problem and keep it from spreading. Likely they had to secure the water to an entire section of the ship, and were trying to re-establish water as quickly as possible, and your hectoring of them didn't help.

I won't say that a water line break on a cruise ship is a frequent occurrence, but it is common, given the 15-20 kilometers of just hot and cold water piping onboard.

If the water could be contained in a trash can, you did not save them a carpet, they will just put fans in there and dry it out. The plastic wrap was to be able to easily clean up the insulation that would come from the ceiling.

I would say that you should be thankful that they had a cabin available, as I've had to dry out a cabin while the people waited for it, as we were completely full.

I don't understand why you say there should not be an "opening bid". Are you saying that whatever [B]you[/B] feel is just compensation is bound to be right, and the company is always wrong? And, no, land based hospitality will make the minimum gesture required, not give away the hotel.

A half day's compensation since you didn't have to wait for them to repair the room would be realistic.

So, did you ask to speak to the Hotel Director, stating that you were not satisfied with the compensation? Generally, there is a corporate policy as to compensation levels, based on the guest complaint, and the ship is not authorized to go further. Did you ask the ship for an address to further pursue this with corporate? Why come here, threatening Carnival with releasing a phone video, when we can do nothing about it, and I personally could care less whether you release the video.

Just to clarify, black water (toilet) piping rarely runs in cabin overheads. It runs vertically in the sanitary locker between cabin bathrooms, and horizontally down passageways. As I posted above, the only time grey water (sinks and showers) normally run in cabin overheads is when there is a bar or galley above. Clean drinking water leaking onto the dirty "attic" above the cabin will look pretty bad.

An even more common occurrence is to have a passenger take a clothes hanger and hang it on the sprinkler head, in the process breaking the sprinkler's sensing bulb and starting the sea water flowing. I've found the clothes still hanging on the sprinkler, but the cabin occupants no where to be found (they ran as far as they could on the ship), and a cabin 3 feet deep in water.

[quote name='SconnieMom']I expect at minimum they offer full day for our entire group, I would be satisfied with more. I work in customer experience and brand market research. I know the power/worth of negative buzz on the internet. They do too. The inverse it's also true. "Wow" me and gain benefits of me telling everyone how satisfied I was with the above and beyond resolution.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk[/quote]
Only 2 people were inconvenienced (the ones whose room was affected).
So, why should all of you get compensated?
And, why a full day?

Strange.
Andy

The wife and I had a suite on the Destiny on it's last trip before the torch and new additions. 2nd day, mid afternoon, we're napping and I heard water running. I got up and looked around and then water started coming out of the bathroom. Something happened and the toilet was in reverse. Luckily all clear water. But it still flooded the bathroom, under the wall and into the passengers hallway, the entire dressing area and reached the bed in the main room. Took awhile for anyone to respond (realistically 15 minutes) and if it wasn't for me seeing our room steward down the halls, the water would have ran until the plumber got there. Huge mess which took several hours to semi clean. Anyways, they got what they could out of the carpet and we had a fan running in the room the rest of the trip. And the carpet never dried. End result, 15% off next cruise and had 2 years to use it. Never used it and stay with Princess. So yours sounds quite small in comparison and I know the kids being far away had to be troubling but not that major. So try for what you wish but they might not agree.

[quote name='SconnieMom']There shouldn't BE an opening bid. I shouldn't have to negotiate to get fair compensation.

HOLY CRAP

As a business owner myself, I want to ask you..since when did we become MIND READERS????

If you are not satisfied TELL THEM!! Regardless of what customers think WE CANNOT READ YOUR MIND

[quote name='SconnieMom']I expect at minimum they offer full day for our entire group, I would be satisfied with more. I work in customer experience and brand market research. I know the power/worth of negative buzz on the internet. They do too. The inverse it's also true. "Wow" me and gain benefits of me telling everyone how satisfied I was with the above and beyond resolution.

Why should your room get a refund? You weren't displaced your kid was

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

[quote name='SconnieMom']Your question is valid, so I'll explain the rationale behind all guests being compensated. Where do you think the two guests in that room had to go while their room was being worked on? Answer-->the other cabin, thereby impacting the 2 others in our party. And while I admit they likely had no adjoining rooms anywhere to offer (as they would in Vegas) that is in now way my fault and just means they need to find other avenues to give me MORE than I paid for in compensation because they had an unacceptable issue arise. Would anyone BOOK a vacation for the $75 less with the agreement they could let unknown water leak from the ceiling on them disturbing their sleep on their vacation, and then waste the day (think sun, which is what you pay for on a Caribbean vaca) away waiting to hear what their resolution is? And yes, they told me they couldn't even tell me what their "offer of resolution" was until 3:00PM. This occurred before 10AM. The day at sea is the day that would be most impacted by such an inconvenience. If we were out on an excursion in port we'd have been less inconvenienced. THEY are the vendor, we are the customer. They need to impress me, not the other way around. Trust me they do surveys, they look for top box ratings. They would not do such things if public perception, especially of problem resolution, wasn't critical to them as a service industry. Again, I do this type of work for a living. Companies spend millions in learning about their customer's feedback and how to improve problem resolution. They freak out about problem incidences over 10% and less than perfect satisfaction with resolution percentages. I KNOW this was their initial offer. I know the customer service reps job is to try their best to find the minimal amount of compensation that I will accept. I also know it is my job as a paying customer to receive compensation I feel is fair or escalate the issue until I feel such satisfaction is obtained. I have not threatened them. I emailed them before this post, calmly stating the issue, the offered resolution and that I was unsatisfied with the offer. I will await their corporate response before escalating further, if needed. But I will if needed.[/QUOTE]

Carnival may fire you as a customer .. They don't need you as much as you need them

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

One thing I am surprised that no one has pointed out is that if the OP contacts Carnival in a threatening manner (give me more or else), the family is very likely to end up on the banned list.

Next cruise: Carnival Breeze June 2014

[quote name='vols_159']Carnival may fire you as a customer .. They don't need you as much as you need them

Sent from my iPhone using Forums[/QUOTE]

I wish they would do more of that. There were some posts a while back about Royal sending a note to someone (diamond member I believe) that kept whining (actually thought of another word;)) about everything and then bragging here on how they got this discount or that credit. Royal eventually asked them to find another line to cruise on. Edited by jimbo5544

[quote name='vols_159']Carnival may fire you as a customer .. They don't need you as much as you need them ... [/quote]

We need a LIKE / DISLIKE button for posts like this here ;) Full disclosure herein, as a minority CCL shareholder receiving monetary benefits, I hereby affirm above mentioned proposition.

Next case, please.

Wait, where is MY free cruise :confused: :D :rolleyes: Okaaay, take what you can and move on - over and out, 10-98.