Al Bacio VS Int'L Cafe....

ACoupleAtSea

I usually cruise with Princess and was just on the Solstice. They are similar is that they both serve coffee. They are considerably different when it comes to the snacks. The International Cafe changes its selections throughout the day and has a much wider selection with salads, sandwiches, etc. Al Bacio tends to have mostly sweet type snacks and are much smaller in size (more of a single bite type samples).

Al Bacio, atleast on the Solstice, has a very nice seating area, but the service was focused on them coming to you at your table. When you would go to the counter to order, even the snacks, they would just say to sit down and they would come to get your order. If you were ordering something to go then they would take the order, but few ordered that way. The International Cafe runs more around people coming to the counter, evne though they will also come and take your order.

Coffee at Al Bacio was more expensive. My normal drink was $5.50 at Al Bacio, compared to $3.75 at International Cafe.

I do love the International Café on Princess ....but for the lunchtime options vs the sweets and beverages. They make a mean tuna sandwich. What I love about Al Bacio (and I am not much of a sweet tooth) are their pastries and pies....yummo. And the coffee drinks are amazing. I get one every morning with the beverage package.

Both are good....just very different.

The Classic Beverage package does cover coffee, lattes & a wide choice of teas. They have a good variety of cakes & pastries.

Our favorite hangout & nice seating area on Solstice.Staff were most friendly too.

Hi,

Just to quickly point out....Cafe al Bacio does not serve regular "brewed" coffee...only espresso based drinks...along with the mentioned teas and delicious pastries etc !

Enjoy

Woody

Edited by rwr235

Where would we find the best coffee onboard? I have heard that the "Americano" from AL Bacio was pretty good.

In my opinion...that's your best bet...I have tried Oceanview, Room Service, Dining Room, etc...but only tolerate the regular coffee in the Oceanview because I am an early riser and need coffee before my daily visit to the gym...then straight from the gym to al Bacio as soon as they open for the good stuff ! :D

Woody

Edited by rwr235

The Classic Beverage package does cover coffee, lattes & a wide choice of teas. .

The classic package covers the more routine coffee and tea.

On their menu

http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard/level3Type1.do?pagename=onboard_celebrity_restaurants_cafes_cafe_al_bacio&parentpage=onboard_celebrity_restaurants_cafes

The 'Espresso' and 'Teas and Teas Herbal' section of the menu are in Classic.

The 'Other Favorites' and 'More Favorites' sections need a Premium package.

The Tea over Ice section - no idea, as I don't drink those.

Cafe al Bacio coffee is far superior to Princess in International Cafe. The Treats are more varied on Princess and the location more central

But as a Coffee pain in the neck, I'll take Cafe al Bacio. I'm addicted to cappuccino and they have a cold drink also that is the best I've ever had anywhere

Just my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Where would we find the best coffee onboard? I have heard that the "Americano" from AL Bacio was pretty good.

I hadn't realized that the café Americano was an expresso based coffee....it is absolutely the best coffee drink I have ever had.....from Al Bacio. Never bought coffee on Princess but can honestly say, their regular coffee is barely tolerable. Since I have tried the good coffee on Celebrity - I realize now it is worth the cost.

And, on Celebrity, the lattes, mochas, café Americanos and teas are all included in the beverage package.

On both you can pay by the drink or buy the 'package', on Princess it is the 10 punch coffee card, which if you don't use all the punches you can bring it back on your next sailing. On Celebrity it is included in all 4 beverage packages which include more items than just coffee.

Both are in the atrium, Princess is in an area with 2 other venues which give you more options, where as on X you have to bring a sandwich or such from somewhere else.

On Princess they have counter seating which at times makes you reach over those sitting, ect. X is a walk thru line then go to a table.

Reading this what I found most interesting is the difference in people's tastes.

I don't mind the regular coffee on Princess at all and I LOVE their cappucinos!

On Celebrity I can barely tolerate their regular coffee, didn't love the Americano, and the only Cappucino I liked at all was a decaf from al Bacio .If I got one anywhere else on the ship I found it extremely bitter (as I found the regular cappucinos even there).

As far as food, I'm not much of a sweet eater so liked the IC on Princess better.

Also liked their selection of teas better.

But the croissants on Celebrity are WAY better! :D

Reading this what I found most interesting is the difference in people's tastes.

I don't mind the regular coffee on Princess at all and I LOVE their cappucinos!

On Celebrity I can barely tolerate their regular coffee, didn't love the Americano, and the only Cappucino I liked at all was a decaf from al Bacio .If I got one anywhere else on the ship I found it extremely bitter (as I found the regular cappucinos even there).

As far as food, I'm not much of a sweet eater so liked the IC on Princess better.

Also liked their selection of teas better.

But the croissants on Celebrity are WAY better! :D

Yes peoples tastes are a surprise, Princess coffee is made from syrup at every venue on the ship only the coffee you pay for at IC is brewed.

On X all coffee is fresh brewed and Al Bacio uses high end imported ground beans.

If you are Elite they offer cappuccinos and Americano's for free at the elite breakfast and now at all dinning venues.

I believe all the X specialty restaurants have Barista set ups for their coffee.

Edited by baldercash

Princess has a coffee card and unlimited regular brewed coffee with it. You can also get unlimited brewed coffee with your cup of coffee purchase for that session. With the card you can use a puch for the Americano coffee.

Celebrity is on a cup per cup basis. The cup is to go is larger that the china cup. All of their coffee is espresso based. It changed my coffee drinking preferences as now I always buy a Americano from Starbucks and purchased a Espresso machine plus grinder (total cost over $3000) for the house to make Americano. It became a passion, hobby and obsession so beware.

You can also get the same type coffee at a few bars on Celebrity. Beware through if you order an Americano in the dining room you will get one small cup. We had the package and always got a coffee at the coffee shop to go before dining. That to go cup would fill the china cup in dining room 2 1/2 times. It doesn't matter unless you are paying for it one cup per cup basis.

Princess offers regular type food and various pastries and cookies. Celebrity has now limited it to just the pastries and cookies.

🍰🍘

We have enjoyed the I.C. on our previous Princess cruises. With our first Celebrity cruise upcoming, We are interested to see how the two compare?

Brewed Coffee, Espresso drinks and snacks?

I like the atmosphere of al Bacio You can get bakery goods but not sandwiches like on Princess.

Last year we could get little tea sandwiches at Bacio but not this year.

Across the way from al Bacio is Bistro on 5, and for a $5 surcharge you can get paninis, salads, soups, crepes, desserts, but it is not set up like the International Cafe on princess. It is a sit down and be waited on venue, but I suppose you could request your panini to go

Edited by 4cats4me

We have enjoyed the I.C. on our previous Princess cruises. With our first Celebrity cruise upcoming, We are interested to see how the two compare?

One of the few areas, along with pizza, where Princess excels.

I usually cruise with Princess and was just on the Solstice. They are similar is that they both serve coffee. They are considerably different when it comes to the snacks. The International Cafe changes its selections throughout the day and has a much wider selection with salads, sandwiches, etc. Al Bacio tends to have mostly sweet type snacks and are much smaller in size (more of a single bite type samples).

Al Bacio, atleast on the Solstice, has a very nice seating area, but the service was focused on them coming to you at your table. When you would go to the counter to order, even the snacks, they would just say to sit down and they would come to get your order. If you were ordering something to go then they would take the order, but few ordered that way. The International Cafe runs more around people coming to the counter, evne though they will also come and take your order.

Coffee at Al Bacio was more expensive. My normal drink was $5.50 at Al Bacio, compared to $3.75 at International Cafe.

ImageUploadedByForums1397670845.999649.jpg.103ff9f6089cd246d2834da1f7318721.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I'll let you know around April 29th. I am eager to find out myself. IMHO, it would be hard to beat the IC.

Edited by jgreenwo17

In my opinion...that's your best bet...I have tried Oceanview, Room Service, Dining Room, etc...but only tolerate the regular coffee in the Oceanview because I am an early riser and need coffee before my daily visit to the gym...then straight from the gym to al Bacio as soon as they open for the good stuff ! :D

Woody

What time does Cafe Al bacio open? I might have to drink VIA B4 they open. Isn't there esspresso near the Oceanview? If so, when do they open?

I don't think you can compare. They are two different styles of venues. The IC is like a cafe with take out food where Cafe al Bacio is like a coffee shop where you sit and chat with friends over great coffee (ie Caramel Macchiato) lol

Totally agree with you. IMO, both are great for what they offer;)

What time does Cafe Al bacio open? I might have to drink VIA B4 they open. Isn't there esspresso near the Oceanview? If so, when do they open?

Hi,

Usually...7am, although on our last cruise there were some mornings (port days) when it opened at 6:30 am....Not sure if the OceanView Bar has an espresso machine...I always got my early(long before anything else is open) morning caffeine fix from the regular coffee stations (not to my liking...but better than nothing !!) in the OceanView...and the rest of the day/night, from al Bacio. Do take your VIA if you need "good" coffee early !!

Woody

Edited by rwr235