Pot load of trouble on Enchantment and Adventure

I agree with you 100%.

In order to get this thread back on track, I think its safe to say that no matter which side of this MJ argument we ALL are on, we ALL agree that these people are idiots for doing this on foreign soil! :eek:

They are VERY lucky it wasnt much worse. "Locked Up Abroad" comes to my mind. NO THANKS

Agreed. I would hate to be in jail in a foreign country!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk. Please excuse all of the inevitable typos!!! :eek: Curse tablet keyboards!

All I can think of is how lucky they didn't end up like the guy in "Midnight Express." There are still places that would hang you upside down and beat your feet!

Why oh why would you be so stupid?

Some idiot of FOS was thrown off for deactivating the smoke detector so he could smoke pot. He might not have ever been caught for the pot smoking alone, but they sure as heck noticed when one of the smoke detectors is off line. There are thousands of sensors all over the ship.

Idiots. Ugh.

P.S. I think that whole hookah herb thing was a dry run for sneaking pot onto the ship. Another real brainiac.

There are still places that would hang you upside down and beat your feet!

Obviously the Bahama's isn't one of them. And the guy in Midnight Express, that was 40+ years ago and he had POUNDS of hash on him to smuggle for profit......:rolleyes:

This whole story is redicuous. It's has absolutely nothing to do with the drugs. It has everything to do with the Bahamian government extorting tourist for money. Simple. If they are so concerned about the drugs drop the fines and make mandatory jail time. Oh wait. Then they wouldn't get to scare the people into paying. Pay now or else you can't leave. It's nothing more then a more advanced Nigerian scam.

Going off topic a little but "Studies" can be found on anything for either side. There are also MANY that suggest it has no affect on the body or mental capacity. What do we believe? How do we know this newly released study isnt propaganda driven by Big Pharma? We dont :)

Im still of the opinion that it is no business of the government to tell someone what they can or cannot do with their own body. :) Especially when its a weed that has been around for thousands of years, can grow on its own with very little human interaction and be used with no manufacturing at all.

You being a Dr in a state that allows medical marijuana, Im taking it that you are not for it at all and do not "recommend" anyone for it? :) If so, do you not believe it has any medicinal benefits? What about all the prescription pills that have all these terrible side effects, are proven harmful to the body yet are still being prescribed every day?

Im just curious where you stand on that. I have not got to talk to many Drs about it.

Briefly, I think there is something to medical MJ but in my experience the majority who use it medicinally are really using it recreationally. When medical first became legal here there was an astonishing, previously unrecognized epidemic of chronic pain amongst mostly younger males.

I personally don't recommend it as my employer discourages me from doing so. I do however have a number of patients who use if regularly and they seem to do just as well as others. Certainly they don't seem to miss their appointments or their meds any more frequently than anyone else. I am amazed not so much at the number but at the type of people who in the confidence of the exam room say they use it. I grew up with the typical image of the "stoner," but I can tell you there are high-functioning, educated, athletic adults here in Colorado who tell me they use it at least occasionally. I'm no longer surprised when for example an attorney with 4 kids tells me she eats some MJ every weekend.

I don't use it (not saying I never have;) ) as my employer drug tests.

Now, I don't think it's necessarily better than alcohol. Why? Because for most people, most of the time, the main reason to drink alcohol is NOT to get intoxicated. It is a food with calories, and of course there's an infinite variety of wines, beers, cocktails, etc. Yes the mild intoxication may be a not unwelcome side effect, but is not the primary purpose.

MJ of course is different. When you use MJ the only goal is to get intoxicated. This is not very healthy psychologically.

So if you compare MJ to all alcohol use I'd say MJ is worse. If you compare MJ users to the subset of alcohol users who use alcohol primarily to get intoxicated then I'd say the MJ is medically safer, but both groups are at risk for mental health issues.

I do feel strongly that legal prohibition is not the answer. I'm glad attitudes around this are changing.

Briefly, I think there is something to medical MJ but in my experience the majority who use it medicinally are really using it recreationally. When medical first became legal here there was an astonishing, previously unrecognized epidemic of chronic pain amongst mostly younger males.

I personally don't recommend it as my employer discourages me from doing so. I do however have a number of patients who use if regularly and they seem to do just as well as others. Certainly they don't seem to miss their appointments or their meds any more frequently than anyone else. I am amazed not so much at the number but at the type of people who in the confidence of the exam room say they use it. I grew up with the typical image of the "stoner," but I can tell you there are high-functioning, educated, athletic adults here in Colorado who tell me they use it at least occasionally. I'm no longer surprised when for example an attorney with 4 kids tells me she eats some MJ every weekend.

Now, I don't think it's necessarily better than alcohol. Why? Because for most people, most of the time, the main reason to drink alcohol is NOT to get intoxicated. It is a food with calories, and of course there's an infinite variety of wines, beers, cocktails, etc. Yes the mild intoxication may be a not unwelcome side effect, but is not the primary purpose.

MJ of course is different. When you use MJ the only goal is to get intoxicated. This is not very healthy psychologically.

So if you compare MJ to all alcohol use I'd say MJ is worse. If you compare MJ users to the subset of alcohol users who use alcohol primarily to get intoxicated then I'd say the MJ is medically safer, but both groups are at risk for mental health issues.

I do feel strongly that legal prohibition is not the answer. I'm glad attitudes around this are changing.

Thanks for your input DrD :)

Although I do not agree with everything you stated, you bring up some very valid points. Especially with MJ vs alcohol. However, we all know one drink leads to the next ;)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk. Please excuse all of the inevitable typos!!! :eek: Curse tablet keyboards!

I was with some people that got busted on NCL and the officer took it from them and hit it himself and said damn that's good. Why would you want to risk your thousand dollar cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This whole story is redicuous. It's has absolutely nothing to do with the drugs. It has everything to do with the Bahamian government extorting tourist for money. Simple. If they are so concerned about the drugs drop the fines and make mandatory jail time. Oh wait. Then they wouldn't get to scare the people into paying. Pay now or else you can't leave. It's nothing more then a more advanced Nigerian scam.

Question for you. I believe that 2 of the three brought drugs (marijuana) with them from Florida.

One bought cocaine in the straw market, so, I think he could be fingered.

What happened to the other two?? How were they spotted?? Seems that they might have been caught while boarding the ship......or is that your read?

There has to be more to this story than is being told.

Rick

Total nonsense.

Mandatory jail time costs them money, what's wrong with making the perp pay, seems like common sense to me.

Bring your "substances" to a foreign country and get caught violating their laws, you'll be punished, pretty simple, what's so hard to understand?

Try it in some places in the world today and you'll get shot or hanged:eek:

Edited by pspercy

Question for you. I believe that 2 of the three brought drugs (marijuana) with them from Florida.

One bought cocaine in the straw market, so, I think he could be fingered.

What happened to the other two?? How were they spotted?? Seems that they might have been caught while boarding the ship......or is that your read?

There has to be more to this story than is being told.

Rick

I wasn't implying that the government was out setting people up. But I do believe this was solely money driven. The magistrate probably went home and smoked after sentencing these people.

I dont recall ever seeing or reading a study that said marijuana is "perfectly safe" and Im not foolish enough to believe such anyway.

All I know is Big Pharma has MUCH more to lose if MJ is legalized US wide even medicinally than NORML or MPP have to lose if it isnt.

This is all another argument for another day though and probably another message forum and I apologize for going so far off topic.

Not really. If it was truly effective and met the risk benefit for getting a drug approval then Big Pharma would productize it. The problem is that except for a couple of examples such as Marinol it has not been successful in clinical trials. Other existing products have proven safer and more effective. You have some use and claims based upon anecdotal evidence, but when it comes to actual well design, statistically significant clinical trials it fails either because of efficacy or because the risk profile is too high. If Pharma could make a product out of it, it would. Considering the billions spent for each new drug found, they would not hesitate to develop products out of it, if it demonstrated true medical advantages.

Seriously? It costs the penal system money to put someone in jail. So, since the penal system doesn't want someone in jail and the person doesn't want to be in jail, what judicial system would not offer an alternative to still punish the criminal but relieve that concern from both sides? We do this here, many minor crimes are offered the chance to pay a fine in lieu of jail time in local courts.

These people wouldn't have this worry had they not been stupid enough to bring or buy drugs in a foreign country! Insanity!

Not really. If it was truly effective and met the risk benefit for getting a drug approval then Big Pharma would productize it. The problem is that except for a couple of examples such as Marinol it has not been successful in clinical trials. Other existing products have proven safer and more effective. You have some use and claims based upon anecdotal evidence, but when it comes to actual well design, statistically significant clinical trials it fails either because of efficacy or because the risk profile is too high. If Pharma could make a product out of it, it would. Considering the billions spent for each new drug found, they would not hesitate to develop products out of it, if it demonstrated true medical advantages.
Your whole argument conveniently does not mention that Marijuana is a DEA Schedule 1 Drug (by DEA definition "the most dangerous drugs"), and because it is so classified it is virtually impossible to get approval for clinical trials. Essentially the government declared it guilty before trial, and indeed forbids trials. I certain expect that marijuana, like most things, has down sides, but for the Govenment to lump it with heroin, LSD, ecstasy and meth as one of the most dangerous drugs defies credibility.

A sixty-one year old described as "elderly". WELL:eek: :eek: :eek:

Wow

In a few shy years I will be 'elderly':eek:

( I guess it is not a new C & A loyalty level):mad:

Personally I was hoping for Pinacle

Guess one of the two will occur, and not the one I want:eek:

Sea Ya

Did no one else think that it was rather humorous that the one guy said he knew it was illegal but didn't intend to take it off the ship. Did the numb nut think it was ok to use it on the ship?

Obviously the Bahama's isn't one of them. And the guy in Midnight Express, that was 40+ years ago and he had POUNDS of hash on him to smuggle for profit......:rolleyes:

No, the Bahamas isn't one of them but look out for Turkey.:eek: My sister ended up in prison there and she had no hash for profit and not even the smallest amount of MJ.