Hoping Carnival gets with the program

mg33626

After just returning from a 7 day Eastern Caribbean on Celebrity, I'm sure hoping their "1,2,3" promo makes it way to Carnival. The offer of either onboard credit, pre paid gratuities, or classic alcohol package included is simply the best! My estimation is most chose the free unlimited drinks on all drinks under $10 which easily gets you choices like Grey Goose.

This is revolutionary in my experience on a mainstream line, and believe me Celebrity does not = "old & boring" these days. The public areas were alive and fun. That said, I do like Carnival when traveling with the family and so wish cruising would become more like an all inclusive. I know I can buy the cheers package, and I do but when it's part of the cost it makes for a very fun ship.

After just returning from a 7 day Eastern Caribbean on Celebrity, I'm sure hoping their "1,2,3" promo makes it way to Carnival. The offer of either onboard credit, pre paid gratuities, or classic alcohol package included is simply the best! My estimation is most chose the free unlimited drinks on all drinks under $10 which easily gets you choices like Grey Goose.

This is revolutionary in my experience on a mainstream line, and believe me Celebrity does not = "old & boring" these days. The public areas were alive and fun. That said, I do like Carnival when traveling with the family and so wish cruising would become more like an all inclusive. I know I can buy the cheers package, and I do but when it's part of the cost it makes for a very fun ship.

That would be great! I'm looking at a Solstice class ship, as I think they are clearly the classiest, best designed ships at sea. The interior spaces are beyond compare on those ships.

Most people would prefer for the drink packages to be optional. If it was included in the price, the non drinkers would complain that they don't want to pay for something they don't use.

We're just off the Celebrity Eclipse -- we had the drink package -- it was fantastic. The Solstice Class ships are amazing.

On the 1-2-3 promo -- the drink package is just one of the three options. DW is in finance and she drove her self crazy trying to figure out how they can afford to offer it.

(we would like to see Carnival match Celebrity's smoking policy, but that's another thread) ;)

Most people would prefer for the drink packages to be optional. If it was included in the price, the non drinkers would complain that they don't want to pay for something they don't use.

This would be us. DH would get his moneys worth from a drink package, whereas I may have 2 drinks the entire cruise. Not worth the money for me. A choice would be nice.

This would be us. DH would get his moneys worth from a drink package, whereas I may have 2 drinks the entire cruise. Not worth the money for me. A choice would be nice.

I believe that on Celebrity, not everyone in the cabins has to have the drink package -- except when you chhose that option as part of the 1-2-3- promo. If you were just buying the package, your husband could by it, and you wouldn't have to.

It seems to me Carnival is already on board. I always pre-pay gratuities, and now they have the Cheers program. If you're aware of these options and can pay up front, it's the same thing. I'm glad the alcohol isn't included, and that you can just choose this if wanted. I wouldn't ever want it. It's not a bad thing, and it's good for those who want it, but not all people do. :)

Edited by kristie64063

I just wish I could purchase the drink package on Carnival and my wife not... She may have 3 drinks a day... I may have 3 buckets of beer... :D

And then some cocktails while playing craps late into the night...

Mike

The program allows for either gratuities, on board credit, or the drink package. It's up to those sailing to choose. When I think of the endless complaints about "nickle and dimeing" for the last ten years, this solves those issues and makes cruising more like it used to be and all inclusive.

Now if only Celebrity could meet or beat Carnival's prices. Even if they did, I have no interest in Celebrity ships or prices.

Never mind. :confused::confused::confused:

Edited by Big_G

Now if only Celebrity could meet or beat Carnival's prices. Even if they did, I have no interest in Celebrity ships or prices.

I was actually looking into some Celebrity sailings that were cheaper than Carnival. Solstice class ships, balcony, with the promo mentioned above for the drink package (or OBC or gratuities if you chose) and the prices were actually better than what I would have spent on Carnival.

Our main reservation and what kept us from booking was wondering if Celebrity was too "stuffy" and not wanting to dress to the nines anymore for formal nights and dinners. That and DH didn't like the single malt Scotch selections listed - he said Carnival has better. :p

On our recent Alaskan cruise with NCL the "adult beverage" program was offered. The DH hardly drinks so we opted out. I stuck with the wine package and was happy. However we met a couple who purchased the package and they loved it. It is a great deal if you both will be using the package but alas as with us not as great when only one of you will be enjoying the continuous flow of adult beverages.

Celebrity is a higher class cruise than Carnival!

Royal Caribbean class = Carnival class

Celebrity class = Princess class

If Royal offers the deal Carnival may try to match it but I think Princess would get it first.

Our line of choice is normally Celebrity. Doesn't mean I don't like others lines as I never met a cruise I didn't like. Heck, I'm open to sail on almost any line for the right price.

I have the Breeze booked for May 4 and am really looking forward to it. Also have the Equinox for 10 nights in December. Price was very comparable with Carnival. We picked the beverage package and got $200 OBC from Celebrity and $350 from the TA. Not a bad deal.

And to think, I don't even drink :) But, for my wife to get the beverage package we both had to get it. Besides I can get fresh juice, bottle water, specialty coffees, soda, etc so I'll get something out of it.

So yea, they do offer a good deal. With all that said I am really excited to sail the Breeze in 11 days!

Duane

I was actually looking into some Celebrity sailings that were cheaper than Carnival. Solstice class ships, balcony, with the promo mentioned above for the drink package (or OBC or gratuities if you chose) and the prices were actually better than what I would have spent on Carnival.

Our main reservation and what kept us from booking was wondering if Celebrity was too "stuffy" and not wanting to dress to the nines anymore for formal nights and dinners. That and DH didn't like the single malt Scotch selections listed - he said Carnival has better. :p

Ive never seen a Celebrity price anywhere near the carnival pricing

I'm Platinum on Carnival, but did a Caribbean itinerary last year on Celebrity - my first on them. Contrary to what I was expecting, the nightlife was very active on Celebrity. I was pleasantly surprised. I've booked an 12-night South Pacific for this fall on Celebrity and chose the unlimited alcohol package. I'm leaving on a 7-day on the Glory this Sunday, and for what I paid for the room and what I'll spend on alcohol (even with the Cheers package), the 12-night Celebrity cruise is going to cost me less than the 7-night on Carnival.

The higher-end lines are starting approach Carnival pricing during certain parts of the year. Carnival is going to have to start improving their product or start losing customers to other lines. Carnival's low prices have kept them as the industry leader, but their margins have obviously been squeezed by cost cutting and lower prices, so something eventually will have to give.

I just wish I could purchase the drink package on Carnival and my wife not... She may have 3 drinks a day... I may have 3 buckets of beer... :D

And then some cocktails while playing craps late into the night...

Mike

still might be cheaper for you to get the cheers for both. thats 18 drinks for both of you (15 for you and 3 for her). the break even point is between 6 and 7 most of the time so if you drink more than 14 combined, it still might work out. Also she gets soda and non alcoholic frozen drinks too if she chooses

Edited by hftmrock

There are always exceptions, especially if you cruise somewhere you don't want to go, at a time you don't want to be there. :D

Day in and day out, no other cruise line can match Carnival's price and stay in business. All cruise lines have been cutting costs.

It really doesn't matter if Carnival loses customers to other brands, especially if they choose to move up within the Carnival family. There are still more people who haven't cruised than people who have. Bookings are still strong. Besides, every cruise line has dissatisfied customers looking to try other cruise lines and Carnival certainly picks up some of those.

Carnival has been reinventing itself for a while now, for those who haven't been paying attention.

Ive never seen a Celebrity price anywhere near the carnival pricing

I agree with an earlier post, you're not looking. That said, I wasn't saying it was the cheapest alternative. I was saying by including an on board credit or a drink package; it makes for a fun lively ship. Also, it makes things more all inclusive and less surprise charges for many little things .

If some here only want the cheapest cruise out there, I would suggest some great deals on MSC. Sadly far to many people who never cruise Carnival think it's low class trash while others who never try Celebrity think it's stuffy and old. Neither of these are true, but that's my opinion.