75% Penalty cancel cruise?

Since my daughter can't make it on our cruise my TA said we only get back the taxes, I sail May 24th. She said I was in the 75% penalty, so does that mean only taxes? I thought RCCL kept the 75% off her cabin and I get the rest, any ideas

Since my daughter can't make it on our cruise my TA said we only get back the taxes, I sail May 24th. She said I was in the 75% penalty, so does that mean only taxes? I thought RCCL kept the 75% off her cabin and I get the rest, any ideas

sounds right. Time to question your TA about it. Did you cancel her already. If your cabin is a double and the second person cancels, the TA would be right. Only taxes back

oh, ok thanks, didn't think about the cancellation fee.

That's too bad that things did not work out with her course.

It's not a cancellation fee but as you are now travelling solo you pay a single supplement which is the same as the second persons fare less the taxes and fees.

That's too bad that things did not work out with her course.

It's not a cancellation fee but as you are now travelling solo you pay a single supplement which is the same as the second persons fare less the taxes and fees.

Thanks! Actually we have three people in our cabin. Me, 18 yrs old, and my 14 yr. old. we paid about 1600.00 for 1st and 2nd person and 865.00 for third, and I'm only getting back 126.00 :( so does it still make sense? I thought I'd get back more?

Thanks! Actually we have three people in our cabin. Me, 18 yrs old, and my 14 yr. old. we paid about 1600.00 for 1st and 2nd person and 865.00 for third, and I'm only getting back 126.00 :( so does it still make sense? I thought I'd get back more?

When did you actually cancel your cruise? If it was 14 days out, you only get taxes and fees. You are in 75% penalty if you are 15-28 days out.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=323&faqSubjectName=After+You+Purchase&faqId=227

You can then claim against your insurance if you purchased any. What you get back depends on who your policy is with and if it is a qualifying reason.

There was a thread on here the other day that if a 3'rd or 4'th in a cabin cancels they get a full refund unless they are in 100% penalty phase which I think you are ahead of. I would call RCI and ask for clarification as it sounds like your TA is keeping the refund.

Can you get someone else to take her place? you can actually change the name and do a swap. Maybe you can get someone to sail with you guys and charge them a discounted rate? Happened to us before and we had to swap out someone since they decided last min. not to go

Can you get someone else to take her place? you can actually change the name and do a swap. Maybe you can get someone to sail with you guys and charge them a discounted rate? Happened to us before and we had to swap out someone since they decided last min. not to go

I was actually thinking someone "here" would want our central park balcony, b/c I can move me and my other daughter in my husband's room: askforgiveness@aol.com anyone?

OK, you cancelled your daughter's cruise, there is still a cancellation. If you cancelled 2 weeks out, that is 14 days and you are not in 75% penalty. If you cancelled her at 15 days out, then you are in 75% penalty and are due more money refunded.

You need to read your insurance policy to see if you can then put a claim in on what you are out. It should be in your documents from your TA. Some insurances have a cancel for any reason clause that will allow you to get a portion of your penalty back but you need to read your policy.

Thank you, I calculated more money back as well, I need to start reading up - thanks

6 nights or longer

75+ (days) No charges

74-57 Deposit amount

56-29 50% of total price (taxes & fees excluded)*

28-15 75% of total (taxes & fees excluded)*

14 or less No refund except for taxes and fees

Did you cancel her today? Or several days ago when you first posted? That will make a difference.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=227&faqSubjectId=323

Edited by marci22

I didn't cancel my cruise, I have three in our room and my daughter can't go w/ me. We sail May 24th, so two weeks away. We have insurance w/ TA, I called them and she emailed me and said taxes only, hummmmm. My daughter's summer class got changed.

IMO, none of this adds-up!

1. I interpret that you already cancelled your daughter?

If you cancelled her 28-15 days before sailaway, RCI keeps 75% of her 3rd PAX cruisefare (you get 25% of her cruisefare refunded and you get her Taxes & Fees refunded). The TA’s Cancellation Fee (usually $50) would be subtracted from the refund. You need to determine from your TA paperwork the TA’s Cancellation fee (how much is it?).

If you cancelled her 14 or less days before sailaway, RCI keeps 100% of her 3rd PAX Cruisefare (you get Zero % of her cruisefare refunded and you get her Taxes & Fees refunded). The TA’s Cancellation Fee (usually $50) would be subtracted from the refund. You need to determine from your TA paperwork the TA’s Cancellation fee (how much is it).

It looks that you maybe cancelled very close to 15 days before sailaway – is there a chance the TA delayed your cancellation until 14 or less days before sailaway? Do you have documentation documenting/proving when you contacted the TA to cancel? This could explain why you’re getting so little back.

2. Having said all of the above, the Cruise Contract surprisingly indicates that there may be reduced cancellation penalties for 3rd/4th PAX cancellations. There have been recent discussions on this board where 3rd/4th PAX have cancelled within the 60 or so day Penalty Period with either no or reduced cancellation penalty. You need to investigate this with RCI and probably with a Supervisor or the Resolutions department; this will take some work and persistence, but may be worthwhile.

3. It looks that you purchased so-called third-party Travel Insurance via the TA; specifically what Insurer and what Policy did you purchase?

Did you purchase optional “Cancel for Any Reason” coverage – if so you should be able to recover 50% to 90% (depending on which policy) of the money that RCI kept. Did you purchase “Cancel for Any Reason” optional, extra cost coverage?

Otherwise, some Policies include “Cancellation for School Schedule Change” that you might be able to take advantage of; this will require scrupulous reading of the Policy's cancellation coverages/reasons.

Ken

Edited by Ken076

Unfortunately her daughter is the 2nd passenger. I am guessing that the TA delayed canceling. TA should have warned OP about 14 day and under penalty. i.e. NO refund of cruise fare. Esp since daughter is the 2nd.

I'd try to bring a friend rather than lose all that money.

Edited by marci22

I didn't cancel my cruise, I have three in our room and my daughter can't go w/ me. We sail May 24th, so two weeks away. We have insurance w/ crucon, I called them and she emailed me and said taxes only, hummmmm. My daughter's summer class got changed.

Unfortunately her daughter is the 2nd passenger. I am guessing that the TA delayed canceling. TA should have warned OP about 14 day and under penalty. i.e. NO refund of cruise fare. Esp since daughter is the 2nd.

I believe her daughter was the 3rd passenger, based on the above quote...and another post where she offered her current cabin to poster's here, saying she could move herself & her other daughter to her husbands room....

OP...hope you get it sorted out...it's a shame your daughter can't join you, but even more unfair to not be refunded for her...

I believe her daughter was the 3rd passenger, based on the above quote...and another post where she offered her current cabin to poster's here, saying she could move herself & her other daughter to her husbands room....

OP...hope you get it sorted out...it's a shame your daughter can't join you, but even more unfair to not be refunded for her...

She posted in another thread that her TA told her to list her daughter as second passenger in order to get free insurance.

Giving up the cabin and moving into one will be a full cancellation of the cabin and they would lose all their cruise fare at this point unless the travel agent is up to something with this booking. The whole thing makes no sense since she won't say when she actually cancelled the daughter. This discussion started earlier this week in a now deleted thread. If the daughter was cancelled then, she was at 75% penalty. If she was cancelled today, all cruise fare is penalized.

It is really hard to help without specific details.

Thanks so much for everyone giving me information and help. Yes, I have two daughters so I probably made it confusing for yall. The one who I need to cancel is the 2nd passanger. Sorry for the confusion. I haven't cancelled yet, last week my TA was just telling me what I could do, IF and a BIG "IF" she wouldn've told me about me getting more money back, I would've jumped on that. I know it's confusing. I was just also saying I have three cabins booked. It doesn't matter who is actually in the room. My 18 and 14 year old was REALLY gonna stay in a central park balcony, but on PAPER, there are three of us in a "FB" room, so actually my whole family can stay in the "FB" if anyone wanted my CP - as a "Just change names on paperwork" - Do yall have a headache yet:eek: Thanks so much! I think next time, I will read every bit of Insurance and know what I'm buying! Just emailed the insurance company and said Sorry, school isn't a covered.

Thanks so much for everyone giving me information and help. Yes, I have two daughters so I probably made it confusing for yall. The one who I need to cancel is the 2nd passanger. Sorry for the confusion. I haven't cancelled yet, last week my TA was just telling me what I could do, IF and a BIG "IF" she wouldn've told me about me getting more money back, I would've jumped on that. I know it's confusing. I was just also saying I have three cabins booked. It doesn't matter who is actually in the room. My 18 and 14 year old was REALLY gonna stay in a central park balcony, but on PAPER, there are three of us in a "FB" room, so actually my whole family can stay in the "FB" if anyone wanted my CP - as a "Just change names on paperwork" - Do yall have a headache yet:eek: Thanks so much! I think next time, I will read every bit of Insurance and know what I'm buying! Just emailed the insurance company and said Sorry, school isn't a covered.

Thanks for explaining, makes a lot more sense with a few more details.

You were in 75% penalty through yesterday and would have gotten some of her cruise fare back. You are now past that so it is only taxes and fees. The cancellation policy is on the cruiseline website and in that link that both Marci and I posted. If you prepaid her gratuities, you will get those back too. We cancelled this same cruise two weeks ago so I am too familiar with what you can get back and can't.

I believe you cannot change out ALL the names in a Cabin - one of the original occupants has to remain.

As you have school kids, next time maybe look at one of the Policies that includes "Cancellation for School Schedule Change" making sure you fully understand what it covers and doesn't cover, and/or get "Cancel for Any Reason" coverage optional extra cost in most 3rd party policies and included (albeit a 75% future Cruise CREDIT) in the CruiseLine policy. ken

Does it really matter on paper who is #1, #2, 0r #3?

If the 32 person cancels and then #1, and #3 are left wouldn't #3 then be charged full fare since they would now become #2?

My understanding was that if there were 3 in the cabin and 1 person cancels they would only get the 3rd person rate back if before final payment and whatever percentage the cruise line imposes for the different times after the cancellation.

Bill

Does it really matter on paper who is #1, #2, 0r #3?

If the 32 person cancels and then #1, and #3 are left wouldn't #3 then be charged full fare since they would now become #2?

My understanding was that if there were 3 in the cabin and 1 person cancels they would only get the 3rd person rate back if before final payment and whatever percentage the cruise line imposes for the different times after the cancellation.

I'm really not sure; I've never been in this situation.

I do know that 3rds and 4ths have special cancellation policies, that is, they are not charged any cruise fare penalty if they cancel before 14 days prior to sailing (and 21 days for certain holiday cruises). Once they pass into that 14 day (or 21 day) period, they only get back taxes and fees.

So if this is the case, her TA should have told her that she can cancel 1 out of the 3 people up to 15 days prior with no fare penalty. Just switch them around, right? But the TA did not say that. TA said at 3 weeks prior (her original thread) that she would be penalized 75% of cruise fare. That is a 2nd person penalty.

Maybe you cannot switch around like that once you have entered final payment phase. Maybe OP will come back and tell us what they finally told her regarding payment penalties and how much she was liable for (2nd rate vs 3rd rate).

It would be helpful for future cruisers.

Edited by marci22

I'm really not sure; I've never been in this situation.

I do know that 3rds and 4ths have special cancellation policies, that is, they are not charged any cruise fare penalty if they cancel before 14 days prior to sailing (and 21 days for certain holiday cruises). Once they pass into that 14 day (or 21 day) period, they only get back taxes and fees.

So if this is the case, her TA should have told her that she can cancel 1 out of the 3 people up to 15 days prior with no fare penalty. Just switch them around, right? But the TA did not say that. TA said at 3 weeks prior (her original thread) that she would be penalized 75% of cruise fare. That is a 2nd person penalty.

Maybe you cannot switch around like that once you have entered final payment phase. Maybe OP will come back and tell us what they finally told her regarding payment penalties and how much she was liable for (2nd rate vs 3rd rate).

It would be helpful for future cruisers.

Yes, I'm gonna call my TA first thing in the morning and I'll let yall know. I think now I'd only get back taxes and fees. I haven't cancelled yet, she didn't tell me to "hurry up and decide" b/c of the 15 day rule. I'll let yall know - thanks