Dress code

Mimi19510

All they ask is no shorts or tee shirts in the evening. Nice jeans are OK, even in the MDR on casual nights. BUT - you will see people ignoring that, and wearing shorts and tees, even on formal nights. :(

Edited by catl331

Sailing on Zuiderdam on May 17 to Alaska. I understand after dinner men are supposed to stay in dinner clothes. No shorts, jeans etc. anyone have experience with this? DH likes to dress down after dinner.

No shorts or jeans in the MDR. Those not in the MDR are free to wear whatever you wish. Shorts in Alaska in May in the evening might be OK if you don't plan on stepping on deck with temps in the low 40's.

Formal night rules apply to the MDR but smart casual throughout the rest of the ship (shirt, slacks, jeans, would be fine). Feel free to cast off your jacket and tie after dinner in the MDR. No crew member will comment on your attire, except as you enter the MDR, on the rest of the ship.

FWIW our last cruise to Alaska, May 2013, we saw 10% tuxedos, 25% business suites, and the rest wore jackets and ties at the early dining.

Enjoy your cruise and be comfortable.

Edited by Crew News

No shorts or jeans in the MDR. Those not in the MDR are free to wear whatever you wish. Shorts in Alaska in May in the evening might be OK if you don't plan on stepping on deck with temps in the low 40's.

Formal night rules apply to the MDR but smart casual throughout the rest of the ship (shirt, slacks, jeans, would be fine). Feel free to cast off your jacket and tie after dinner in the MDR. No crew member will comment on your attire, except as you enter the MDR, on the rest of the ship.

FWIW our last cruise to Alaska, May 2013, we saw 10% tuxedos, 25% business suites, and the rest wore jackets and ties at the early dining.

You can most certainly wear jeans on a non formal nights. Short are a no no. People do change after dinner from what I've seen. Seems like a hassle to me. On the Westy they were making men put on a jacket but ties seems to be optional.

My apologies for misspeaking on the subject of jeans during normal dining in the MDR. In fact a number swine farming club from lower Michigan wore jean overalls to most evening meals.

Jeans wearers were being turned away for formal nights.

Although not required, I wear a jacket to the MDR each evening and add a tie for formal nights.

No shorts or jeans in the MDR.

Evening dress falls into two distinct categories; Formal or Smart

Casual. Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and sports shirt

or sweater for men and skirt or trousers and sweater or blouse

for women. Printed T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts

are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the

evening hours.

Jeans are not mentioned, therefore they are allowed. Also note that it says Printed tees are not allowed, therefore solid color are allowed.

evening hours.

Jeans are not mentioned, therefore they are allowed. Also note that it says Printed tees are not allowed, therefore solid color are allowed.

Does that mean that swimsuits, tank tops, shorts and printed t-shirts are allowed in the MDR at other meals? And it doesn't specify crop pants or capris - wonder where they fit. :confused:

evening hours.

The right clothing can make a big difference in the enjoyment of your cruise. First and foremost, dress for comfort. Daily life aboard ship and in ports of call is relaxed and casual. Warmer climates call for clothing made of lightweight, breathable fabrics. For cooler climates, we suggest casual clothes that can be layered easily and possibly a raincoat and waterproof hat or umbrella and gloves. Certain shore excursions may require particular attention to clothing. For example, certain churches or other places of worship may not allow tank tops or short pants. Bring a swimsuit as all of our ships have pools and whirlpools. You may wish to bring more than one outfit for the water. We ask that you wear shoes and a cover-up over a bathing suit when walking through the interior of the ship. If you would like to jog on the sports deck or work out in the fitness center, bring workout gear. Footwear should include comfortable walking shoes for visits ashore and sandals or rubber-soled shoes for strolling on deck.

Evening dress falls into two distinct categories: Formal or Smart Casual. Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and collared shirts for men and casual dresses, slacks and informal evening wear for women. T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours. On festive Formal evenings, ladies may wear a suit, cocktail dress, gown or fancy blouse/top with slacks and gentlemen wear a jacket and tie, dark suit or tuxedo. There are approximately two formal nights per week.

In order to complement your fellow guests, Holland America Line asks that you observe the suggested dress code throughout the entire evening.

Formalwear for ladies and gentlemen can be pre-ordered on select cruises by calling Cruiseline Formalwear at 800-551-5091 or make your reservations online. Your formalwear will be in your stateroom when you board.

Just downloaded this from HAL website and it doesn't mention printed T Shirts. Can you tell me where you got your information. My DH has a couple of Tshirts that are printed (tastefully). He likes them - maybe I will have to make him leave them at home. :)

Sailing on Zuiderdam on May 17 to Alaska. I understand after dinner men are supposed to stay in dinner clothes. No shorts, jeans etc. anyone have experience with this? DH likes to dress down after dinner.

I'm sailing to Alaska for the 7th time next month. I find that Alaska cruises are the most dressed down for both men and women.

I'm sailing to Alaska for the 7th time next month. I find that Alaska cruises are the most dressed down for both men and women.

I agree completely.

I have never seen a tuxedo, jacket, or even a tie on formal night in the movie theater in Alaska. I do remember a lot of jeans and sweatshirt-clad passengers munching popcorn.

Does that mean that swimsuits, tank tops, shorts and printed t-shirts are allowed in the MDR at other meals? And it doesn't specify crop pants or capris - wonder where they fit. :confused:
Tees, shorts, capris, etc are allowed in the MDR and PG at breakfast and lunch. I'm not sure about tank tops, but I would expect them to turn away someone in a bathing suit.

Just downloaded this from HAL website and it doesn't mention printed T Shirts. Can you tell me where you got your information. My DH has a couple of Tshirts that are printed (tastefully). He likes them - maybe I will have to make him leave them at home. :)

http://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/cruise-vacation-onboard/KBYG.pdf page 8, left column, near bottom. It's the same section that you quoted, but one of us must have an older version! Tasteful printed tees are fine anywhere during the day. I wear them.

On our last couple of Alaskan cruises -- 14 day Amsterdam ones -- very few men wore tuxedos on formal nights.

We did see quite a few people wearing jeans in the dining room for smart causal nights. And yes a couple of men in our area of the dining room did wear slacks, no jackets or ties on formal nights.

Around the ship on formal nights, again very people were dressed up.

Tees, shorts, capris, etc are allowed in the MDR and PG at breakfast and lunch. I'm not sure about tank tops, but I would expect them to turn away someone in a bathing suit.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/cruise-vacation-onboard/KBYG.pdf page 8, left column, near bottom. It's the same section that you quoted, but one of us must have an older version! Tasteful printed tees are fine anywhere during the day. I wear them.

Mine was from the FAQ's

My experience on two HAL Alaska cruises is that many people do change after dinner. I tend to just stay in what I was as it's too much of a pain to go back to the cabin for something I consider so minor. I might loosen my tie/unbutton my collar. But, I mean, how uncomfortable is wearing a jacket or a suit otherwise? I find it actually kind of helpful if I'm going to pop out on deck.

Swimsuits are not allowed in the MDR, but shorts and printed t-shirts certainly are at breakfast and lunch. Don't know about tank tops, but I think most people would prefer not.

Crops and capris are fine for smart casual nights. Many gals wear them. I really feel sorry for new cruisers stressing over every word in the dress code reading CC posts. Dress is really casual on the ships and even formal nights in the MDR are hardly enforced anymore.

I'm not sure about tank tops, but I would expect them to turn away someone in a bathing suit.

My DS was asked discreetly and politely to change out of/cover up a tank top on 2 different cruises - this was at lunch in the MDR. Once on a Panama Canal crossing when he forgot to change after being outside to view the canal, the DRM took him aside upon entering to tell him he couldn't wear a tank top in the MDR. The other time he removed his jacket while eating, forgetting that he had a tank top on underneath and he was asked to put it back on.

We were just on the Zuiderdam (Fort Lauderdale - San Diego). Based on what we experienced, I would say your husband will be fine if he wants to change after dinner. We saw everything: shorts, jeans, khakis, suits, tuxes... it ran the gamut.

Swimsuits are not allowed in the MDR' date=' but shorts and printed t-shirts certainly are at breakfast and lunch. Don't know about tank tops, but I think most people would prefer not.

Crops and capris are fine for smart casual nights. Many gals wear them. I really feel sorry for new cruisers stressing over every word in the dress code reading CC posts. Dress is really casual on the ships and even formal nights in the MDR are hardly enforced anymore.[/quote']

Just trying to fit the least amount of clothing in! My understanding at this point - dressy slacks that look okay with a dressy blouse/jacket, one dress - not formal, more of a dinner out dress should be okay for the dressiest nights or PG. Those same slacks or capris will work for MDR/Lido dinners. I like the idea of dressing up some - but am not going to go out and buy formal wear. Seriously - I am more worried about how wild my hair is going to be after being out on deck, maybe I should invest in a dressy hat!!!

Hi

I wonder if people who wear tee shirts ( I LOVE and wear them) will wear those tee shirts to a wedding, furneral, Night out to fancy restraurant, ? why is so hard not to wear a nice shirt to dinner. If you don't want to dress up There is the Lido or room servive or the other restrauant on ship. Also I do hate baseball caps There are worn everywhere. Do men sleep with them on since they never take them off during the day.

Mary Please don't flame me

My DS was asked discreetly and politely to change out of/cover up a tank top on 2 different cruises - this was at lunch in the MDR. Once on a Panama Canal crossing when he forgot to change after being outside to view the canal, the DRM took him aside upon entering to tell him he couldn't wear a tank top in the MDR. The other time he removed his jacket while eating, forgetting that he had a tank top on underneath and he was asked to put it back on.

Men must wear shirts with sleeves at all times in the dining room...aka no tank tops, sleeveless t shirts etc.

I think that in the buffet, men's arm pits reaching over the food and plates is pretty darn disgusting. Wish that particular rule applied in all eating areas. UGH:eek:

I've seen a couple guys walk thru the buffet shirtless on warm weather cruises and it's enough to make me gag. :rolleyes:

Hi

I wonder if people who wear tee shirts ( I LOVE and wear them) will wear those tee shirts to a wedding' date=' furneral, Night out to fancy restraurant, ? why is so hard not to wear a nice shirt to dinner. If you don't want to dress up There is the Lido or room servive or the other restrauant on ship. Also I do hate baseball caps There are worn everywhere. Do men sleep with them on since they never take them off during the day.

Mary Please don't flame me[/quote']

I don't understand people that won't 'dress up' on a cruise ship -- things are so casual anyway -- You can eat on the Lido - don't mess up my cruise experience by coming to dinner like a slob -- or sloppy - or 'I'll dress the way I want' mode.

I completely agree with Watsons Aunt