Hopefully, Live From the MS Amsterdam May 17 - June 1, 2014

I'm enjoying your posts AlbertaQuilter. Thank you.

I'm not struck with the Alaska bug at all but reading your live from makes me interested. The crab boat excursion would be a must for me I think.

Edited by sammygoose
spelling.....again

May 21/14 Tracy Arm

Today was an incredible day. We were blessed with dry weather, mostly clear skies and spectacular scenery!

We finally found the Bloody Mary cart! It's up in the Lido and it's hours are either 7:30 -10:30 am or 6:30 - 10:30 am ( I can't remember which!). DM, my sweet, little DM, had a Ceasar at 10 am! They found the clamato juice to make Ceasars! The Ceasar (or Bloody Mary) really could be like a breakfast salad. There were anchovies, prawns, thin onion slices, horseradish, peppers, and lemon wedges. I have to remember to get a picture of the cart which I will try to post when I get home. I don't know if DM'll have another one that early in the day, though! It was a little too early for her.

We went to the PG for lunch today. DM had the lobster brûlée and the crab and lobster cake. I had the onion soup and the blue cheese crusted steak. All were very good. My soup could have been a tad warmer. For dessert, DM had the panna cotta and I had the strawberries with the raspberry sorbet. I was unable to finish my dessert as I was just too full.

Our transit into Tracy Arm had started by the time we finished lunch but we got outside as soon as we could. Oh my, it was magnificent! We got all the way down the fjord and lingered for a while. I've never been as far down as we got today. I later heard that we got within a mile/mile and a quarter of the south Sawyer Glacier! It was breathtaking; the various blues of the glacier were beautiful. Even some of the Bergie bits had those deep blues! Simply stunning. Some saw the glacier calve. Unfortunately, I wasn't one of the lucky ones as I had just stepped away from the side of the bow to let someone take a picture.

There were also lots of whales seen from the ship, in Stephen Passage. Again, I wasn't lucky with that because I was otherwise occupied - trivia, lunch, that sort of thing. One really has to be out, looking at the water to see the whales.

For dinner tonight, three had beef roulade, two had chicken and one had angry striped bass. Yes, it was angry; not sure what made it angry!

Just as an FYI, I think HAL knows everything about their pax. Today was someone's birthday. HAL was not advised other than the online check-in. The non Birthday Girl (BG) was sworn to secrecy; no one was to know or sing to the BG. This morning, the BG received a card signed by the Captain. Later in the day, BG received a call from the Front Desk, offering birthday wishes. Upon entering the dining room, the maître d' asked which of us was celebrating a birthday today. Of course, they came and sang the Indonesian birthday song. Fortunately, they came with the cake prior to us ordering and eating our dessert, unlike with past celebrations. So, if you're cruising on your birthday, be warned that HAL has their ways of finding out about that!

I have to say the cake and all of the other desserts have been very good on this cruise. In the past, I've usually found them to be pretty to look at but to have little taste. This cruise, they have both the taste and the presentation down pat.

The show tonight was A Tribute to John Denver by Jim and Anne Curry. It was good but only just half an hour. There are usually three shows a night. The first is at 6:30, then 8:00 & 10:00.

After the show, there was another trivia contest in the Piano Bar. The theme was TV Sitcom theme songs. I am pleased to report that we tied for first place with a perfect score!

It was another fabulous day on the Amsterdam!

Tomorrow, we dock in Juneau. DM and I are splitting up and doing separate tours so I should have lots to report tomorrow!

I'm enjoying your posts AlbertaQuilter. Thank you.

I'm not struck with the Alaska bug at all but reading your live from makes me interested. The crab boat excursion would be a must for me I think.

I think everyone should go to Alaska at least once. I had no desire to go to South America; it wasn't even in my radar. But DM wanted to go so we went. It is still one of my favourite cruises.

Just be warned that once you go, Alaska can get in your blood, and you will become like many of us and go back over and over again.

May 20/14 Ketchikan

Room service for breakfast this morning, and it was punctual and accurate. We docked close to 7:30 and the ship was cleared shortly after that. The previous two times I've been to Ketchikan it was dry each time. Today my luck ran out. It rained off and on until we returned to the ship around 3 pm; then it was lovely and sunny. We docked at Berth 3 which is where the Aleutian Ballad is docked. We had a very short walk to our tour!

The Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's tour was very good and well worth the price. The tour was not full, even though there were three other ships in port with us. As it was raining, everyone stayed on the lower level. First, we were taken to a spot where the guys pulled up a fishing line. The fish were then chopped up and fed to the bald eagles a little farther on. That was amazing; there were at least 50 eagles, maybe a lot more. It was really cool to see them soaring and swooping down to get the fish.

After that, we went to various spots where they pulled up crab pots. We could hold snow and box crab, they held the king crab and the Dungeness crab. As long as they held it, we could touch the crabs. After everyone had an opportunity to hold or touch the crab, they put them back in the pot and put them overboard. The last thing they showed us was a Pacific octopus which was also returned to the water. In between all that, they spoke about what it was like out in the Bering Sea, working on the boats and told us of their adventures. They did talk about the show but the tour was not about the show. Both DM and I really enjoyed the tour even though we have never seen the show.

We played trivia again today. Yesterday, we lost but today we got every question right but one. We won HAL rain hats which would have come in handy when we were out and about today.

Someone asked about the cost of the thermal suite - it's usually $299 for one person now $199; for two people, it's usually $399, now $299. That includes the hydro pool. That info comes from the sheet the spa receptionist gave me. I have no idea when the discounted price comes into effect. Maybe budget for the higher price and then be happy if it's the lower price!

Dinner last night was very good. Three of us had prime rib au jus. Each got it in their desired way. Two had cod and the other had linguini with clams, scallops and one other type of shellfish. I ordered a scoop of beet risotto so I could try it. I specifically asked for a scoop, not a bowl. I really should know better; I received a bowl. Actually, it was a small potion so it could have been a really big scoop! I love both beets and risotto but I didn't really care for beet risotto. It was a little odd. Pretty colour, though!

After dinner, we went to the show. It was a comedian, Glenn Hirsch. He was good. There were some different takes on the usual cruise ship jokes, so that was refreshing. After the show, we went to the Amstel Bar aka the Piano Bar for Neil Diamond Name That Tune. We tied for first place! We won a HAL Alaska pin.

It was a full but very good day on the Amsterdam. Tomorrow, we are cruising Tracy Arm and DM and I are having lunch in the PG for the first time ever because of recommendations here on CC.

Clipper, I was in Ketchikan once when it was pouring rain, since you and DM won HAL rainhats, you probably won't have any more rain for the rest of the cruise, sounds like you are having a good time... rain or shine!!:)

I think everyone should go to Alaska at least once. I had no desire to go to South America; it wasn't even in my radar. But DM wanted to go so we went. It is still one of my favourite cruises.

Just be warned that once you go, Alaska can get in your blood, and you will become like many of us and go back over and over again.

The first time we went to Alaska was in 1989. It was 2 week cruise out of San Francisco on Princess. We were hooked!!

We have done quite a few Alaskan cruises since then and have seen lots of changes.

Love your reports. Glad you are not having any internet problems.

DH has had little luck with getting a cake for his birthday even though they knew it was his birthday. For a week the waiters would stop by the table and mention about someone having a birthday soon. The actual day of his birthday -- nothing.

We have been on cruises for his birthday and anniversaries (same thing -- sometimes we get a cake -- sometimes nothing) and never got any cards from the captain.

Love your reports. Glad you are not having any internet problems.

DH has had little luck with getting a cake for his birthday even though they knew it was his birthday. For a week the waiters would stop by the table and mention about someone having a birthday soon. The actual day of his birthday -- nothing.

We have been on cruises for his birthday and anniversaries (same thing -- sometimes we get a cake -- sometimes nothing) and never got any cards from the captain.

We have cruised on Amsterdam many times and have formed the opinion that her crew and their performance is a cut above that of other HAL ships except perhaps the Prinsendam. Enjoying your reports reinforces that opinion.

Thank you for continuing your live review. Did you see some calving in Tracey Arm? Was there a lot of ice in the water as you cruised through it? I've only been cruising in Tracey Arm once which was on Westerdam in Sept. I thought it was beautiful and would like to go back.

May 22/14 Juneau

Another beautiful day in Alaska! Room service was a little early with our breakfast. Again, our order was accurate.

DM went on the Mendenhall Glacier & Gardens tour. She enjoyed it. First, they went to the gardens. It sounds like she had some issues with that tour. She was in a bigger tram, with a guide who spoke in a monotone voice and was difficult to understand some of the time. The gardens were very nice and creative. Afterwards, they went to Mendenhall, spending about an hour and a half there. Finally, they went to a fish hatchery. The tour was about 4.5 hours in total. It started at 10:00, they got back to the ship after 2:30. Mom was starving and dehydrated upon her return. She refreshed herself with a beer and a sandwich!

I, on the other hand, went back to Tracy Arm, on a small boat tour. I found out that the reason the TA tour is not available through the regular shore excursions for the 14 day itinerary, is because the Amsterdam is not consistent this season by switching between 7 and 14 day itineraries.

Someone on the roll call had contacted the tour operator directly even before the HAL tours were posted. Special arrangements were made to hold some tickets for the tour out of tickets allocated to the Oosterdam as that ship was in port with us today. To make a long story short, it ended up with AIP and myself joining about 25 people from the Oosterdam to take the 7 hour tour.

We left before 10 am. It took about 1.5 hours to get to TA. We saw several whales on the way there. We did go down TA, not Endicott Arm. As we had been there yesterday and got so close with the ship, I was expecting to get at least as close, if not a little closer. It was not meant to be. Yes, indeed, we got closer with the ship to the South Sawyer Glacier than we did with the tour boat. The reason? Ice. Well, really it was the tide. As it was explained to me, we were between tides. As the tide goes out, it kind of sucks the ice from in front of the glacier out into the fjord channel. There was way more ice than yesterday. I believe we did hit some Bergie bits, and it did sound bad when we did; almost Titanic bad. But nothing flooded or capsized so I guess it sounded worse than it really was.

After spending some time at the South Sawyer, we then headed to the North Sawyer Glacier. It is much smaller than the south glacier. There we could get fairly close. There was another boat there, from the same tour company (with many more people). The north is not as pretty as the south but for those people who hadn't seen either before, it was still impressive.

There was enough time to stop at Icy Falls for some pictures before heading back to the ship. We were provided with a very nice lunch, and some little snacks and beverages on both inbound and outbound trips. On the way back, we saw more whales, one surfacing very close to the boat! We lingered a bit, saw some fin and/or tail slapping (no major breaching). This caused our return to be delayed by almost half an hour; we returned at 4:45 instead of 4:15. No one minded a bit. The Oosterdam departed on schedule at 6:00 (all aboard was 5:30).

When I got back to the ship, it was my turn to be dehydrated! I was refreshed with a glass of water and a mojito! As we walked from the Ocean Bar to the MDR, I saw the route map on the TV screen - it was 16C! Sorry, I don't translate into Fahrenheit! They had told us the high would be 4C. It really was very nice out today.

All six of us had the same appy tonight, Crab & Shrimp Tower. It was quite enjoyable. Two of us had turkey, two had cedar planked red curry salmon, one had the always available chicken and the sixth had BBQ chicken salad. All seemed to enjoy their meals. Although, the two who had the salmon thought the cedar plank complained that the cedar plank was tough!!!! I did speak to one couple tonight who does not care for the food in the MDR, in the evening. It sounds like they've had some over cooked entrees. Food is very subjective. They ate in the Lido tonight.

There was a special theme in the lido tonight- Gold Rush Dinner. Local salmon, Gold Digger's chilli and other Alaskan delicacies. There was an Alaskan Beer Buffet. We didn't get up there to check it out so I do not have any details on that event.

The entertainment tonight was a movie - Gravity. I hadn't seen it before. It was certainly different!

We were to depart at 10 pm. I didn't think we actually did depart when the alarm sounded but it sounded from the announcement that we had, in fact, cast away. The alarm stopped on the sixth ring. (At seven tones, we are to report to our muster stations...) The CD made several announcements, they were heard in the staterooms, too, that the cause was being investigated. There was smoke detected in the azipod room. They turned back and docked again. Last announcement was that a brake hadn't released the way it was supposed to. We were assured that this incident would not affect the itinerary. Any way, two hours later, we are still in Juneau. There will be no further announcements tonight so will keep you all posted. At least, here in Juneau, or any port, it's easy to evacuate the ship should the situation deteriorate.

I was very impressed with how the crew handled the situation. We were kept informed every few minutes by the Captain or the CD.

Tomorrow, we are supposed to be in Icy Strait Point. We will see if we get there.

Sorry for the late report, everyone. We had some internet issues last night. And then I had issues getting into CC this morning.

We did arrive in ISP as scheduled. All seems to be well with the ship. If I find out any new info, I will report back. I will say I am impressed with how the crew handled it.

Thank you for continuing your live review. Did you see some calving in Tracey Arm? Was there a lot of ice in the water as you cruised through it? I've only been cruising in Tracey Arm once which was on Westerdam in Sept. I thought it was beautiful and would like to go back.

When we cruised, glided through, really, TA on the Amsterdam, there was some ice but not massive amounts. The next day, though, on the small boat, was very different as explained in the above report. There was some calving on the South Sawyer, that I missed but others saw. I did see some minor calving on the small boat tour, but on the north glacier.

I agree, it is beautiful.

Were you glad you did the small boat tour to Tracy Arm?

Yes, because that's the only way to see the north glacier. I didn't really find the perspective to be that different from going on the ship. And the clincher was that we got farther on the ship than we did with the small boat. I'm sure that was more luck than anything else.

I'm glad I did it but I don't feel the need to spend that much money to do it again. I know that's not a popular viewpoint but that's my opinion.

Yes, because that's the only way to see the north glacier. I didn't really find the perspective to be that different from going on the ship. And the clincher was that we got farther on the ship than we did with the small boat. I'm sure that was more luck than anything else.

I'm glad I did it but I don't feel the need to spend that much money to do it again. I know that's not a popular viewpoint but that's my opinion.

I have done both and enjoyed both very much. I know there is one poster who always states the small boat tour is superior, but my opinion is that it is different, but not necessarily superior. I just think both experiences are awesome. I liked the perspective seeing everything from up high on the ship, and I liked the down low perspective from the small boat.

The best part of the small boat for me was crunching through the ice jams and seeing those big blue bergs up close. If the cruise ship sees the North Glacier (I always get them confused), then I only saw the South Glacier on the small boat tour up close and personal. We were told it was too icy to get in to see the North Glacier, although we did see it from the distance. We were able to spend a lot of time at the South Glacier and were treated to some awesome calving. Had we been able to get into North Glacier, our time at South Glacier would surely have been less.

Thanks again for your reports. I am really enjoying them. I hope there are not more problems with the ship.

Alberta Quilter where did you dock in Juneau?

Love your review.

Isn't AQ doing a wonderful job on her reviews??? Love 'em...

The Juneau docking location was right behind the Main Library, and right across from the Red Dog Saloon. About a 5-minute walk to the Mt Roberts Tramway. Celebrity's ship was docked much farther away from the main action.

Outstanding job with the reports AQ! We're really enjoying them. Please tell your mother that she sounds like a great traveling companion.

Quick question - It's been a few years since we've done Alaska. We're thinking about it for next summer. In the past, Alaska was less dressy than other destinations because of all the weight/space that warm clothes take up. How is your cruise on formal nights?

Again, thank you so much. We really appreciate your taking time out of your vacation to file your reports. :)