Hopefully, Live From the MS Amsterdam May 17 - June 1, 2014

I'm enjoying your day by day review and was concerned about how the wildfire might impact your sailing up Cook Inlet.

We took this cruise in 2010 and I'd like to add that the HoHo in Homer is the way to get to town. At that time there were three stops. We got off at the second stop which was the Pratt Museum and walked from there to the Islands and Oceans Center. Then before we jumped back on to go back to the ship we wandered around town a little bit and were surprised to see a moose and her two calves munching their way through residential backyards (no fences). You never know when you will find those special unplanned moments!

I hope to go again next year and see more of the Homer Spit. So much to see, so little time.

AQ: When you say you splurged for the crab, does that mean there is an upcharge at the PG for the crab?

There is a $20 supplement for King Crab.

http://halfacts.com/pinnacle-grill-menus-march-2014-eurodam/

This is a copy a PG Menu on Halfacts.

Stratheden is correct. The $20 was worth it in our opinion.

Mary, I sent in the gluten free form about a month ahead of time I think but I had a hard time getting the things I had put on the form. The cookies finally showed up about five days into the cruise. Ginger snaps that I am sure came in a box not freshly made. Gluten free blueberry pancakes in the Main dining room were great! The bread varied. One day it was pretty good. I never was able to get the cake. Most of the time I had cream brûlée for dessert since that is available every day. Gnocchi was on the menu one night and they prepared that for me with brown butter butternut squash. That was delicious but never showed up again. I also had an Asian dish one day that was very good but I don't remember what it was exactly.

I think everyone should go to Alaska at least once. I had no desire to go to South America; it wasn't even in my radar. But DM wanted to go so we went. It is still one of my favourite cruises.

Just be warned that once you go, Alaska can get in your blood, and you will become like many of us and go back over and over again.

Thanks AQ for your encouragement. We glamp all summer and get to see lots of fish,osprey,deer,ducks,grouse,beaver,cormorant and the occasional bear and that's just around our campsite. We are lucky to glamp on private undeveloped land so I guess my resistance comes from all we get during the summer. No glaciers though.

I am enjoying your observations about the Amsterdam and find them invaluable. I think if the Amsterdam cruises an itinerary from Vancouver that I like and I am in between European cruises I could see a fit for me there.

I'm looking forward to your future installments because you're making me a hell no to a hell why not. Also a shout out to Lovely serenity and her wonderful live from that made me interested enough to read this thread.

May 27/14 Kodiak

Because we were going on a private tour this morning, with an early meeting time, we opted to order room service. I asked that it be delivered between 6:30 & 7:00 am. Usually it is delivered at the start of the time range. At 6:45, we still hadn't received it. I opened the door to find the room service request form still hanging from the door handle! Uh, oh. Off we went to the Lido to get our own breakfast. Not a great way to start the day but we could still manage in the time we had, before meeting the rest of the group. Luckily, the Lido wasn't too busy.

We went with four others from our roll call, on a tour of Kodiak, with Katie from Memorymakers. Four other people toured with Dake in another vehicle; we met up with them on occasion. The tour was good, but not great. Frankly, there didn't seem to be much to see in Kodiak. We did get to Ft Abercrombie, the viewpoint above the pier, the Russian Orthodox Church, and finally to the nest of a bald eagle. I heard later that in a museum, across the street from the Baranov Museum, there is a skeleton of a whale. I would have liked to have seen that; too bad I didn't know about it until just before we left Kodiak! DM was dropped off at the ship after the tour; the rest of us opting to be dropped off at the visitor centre. There are free shuttles between the ship and the visitor centre.

There is a nice quilt shop, Flying Geese, in Kodiak; much larger than the one in downtown Anchorage. Prices are slightly better, too. For the knitters out there, there is a very large shop called The Rookery. It looked like a very nice shop with a huge selection in comparison to the selection at the quilt shop in Anchorage. I wandered about for almost an hour and then returned to the ship.

All trivia events were lost; not much new there! For our third formal dinner, four of us had Cracked Pepper Beef Tenderloin with Prawns. It was very good but not as good as the Chateaubriand. One had lamb (not sure if it was lamb chops or rack of lamb). She seemed to enjoy it. DM had the Spruce Hen.

The entertainment tonight was a British comic whose name escapes me right now. He was quite entertaining. I'll get you the name once I can look it up. I ended the night working on the puzzle until midnight. Only the really nasty bit remains to be done. It's really nasty! People are starting to talk about shooting the person who started it.... Let's keep that info our little secret, okay?

Tomorrow, we have scenic cruising at Hubbard Glacier.

Thanks AQ for your encouragement. We glamp all summer and get to see lots of fish,osprey,deer,ducks,grouse,beaver,cormorant and the occasional bear and that's just around our campsite. We are lucky to glamp on private undeveloped land so I guess my resistance comes from all we get during the summer. No glaciers though.

I am enjoying your observations about the Amsterdam and find them invaluable. I think if the Amsterdam cruises an itinerary from Vancouver that I like and I am in between European cruises I could see a fit for me there.

I'm looking forward to your future installments because you're making me a hell no to a hell why not. Also a shout out to Lovely serenity and her wonderful live from that made me interested enough to read this thread.

Well, we got on in Vancouver, and we are getting off in Victoria, on the day before the ship gets back to Seattle. It is doable to fly to and from within Canada as long as you can do the cruise when the ship is repositioning from one area to another.

I hope you do give it a chance. It is an amazing state.

Edited by Alberta Quilter

It's so strange. Not once in my year of planning had I thought I would drop our girls off with Club HAL in the evenings. But then, reading about the comedian and a quiet evening working on a puzzle, all I could think about were all the options for date night after date night with my husband. We NEVER get to go on dates here at home (no one to watch our girls). How had this not occurred to me until now? Pinnacle dinner, a show, drinks at a bar? HELLO, MARY?! ROFL

Alberta Quilter,

I just have to give you a big THANK YOU for your thread. I have made so many notes of "musts" when I make my cruise. I especially appreciate the way that you are watching out for us knitters, by looking for yarn for us.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise!

Alberta Quilter,

I just have to give you a big THANK YOU for your thread. I have made so many notes of "musts" when I make my cruise. I especially appreciate the way that you are watching out for us knitters, by looking for yarn for us.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise!

Please don't flame me. I am not a knitter, but I am just curious, what an Alaska knitting shop could have that you couldn't find elsewhere? Is it patterns? It seems like the yarn would similar, but maybe I am missing something. So please satisify my curiosity. ;)

Please don't flame me. I am not a knitter, but I am just curious, what an Alaska knitting shop could have that you couldn't find elsewhere? Is it patterns? It seems like the yarn would similar, but maybe I am missing something. So please satisify my curiosity. ;)

I'm not a knitter so can't really answer your question but I get asked something similar about quilt shops.

Yes, often it is different patterns than one would get at home. There are local quilt designers whose patterns may only be available locally. For fabric, in Alaska, there are more wildlife themed fabrics. Also, different quilt shops have different personalities, just as their owners do. We once did a road trip where we visited ten different shops. Believe me, they were all very different in terms of what fabric they stocked.

It's lovely to have a quilt that I made that reminds me of the trip. I've just completed the top for a quilt kit that I purchased in Skagway a few years ago, that was designed by a Sitka quilter and is based on Margerie Glacier. It's a great souvenir of the trip.

For knitters, I believe that one can get locally produced yarn in some locales. I know when we were in Tallinn a few years ago, some were purchasing local yarn there. I have no idea whether one can get locally produced yarn in Alaska, though.

Local handspun yarn. Kind of like people collect cookbooks or magnets or dishes from their travels I pick up a locally spun yarn, maybe in a color that reminds me of the area [glacier blue?!!] to make a scarf, or just to pet. I will be looking for a quiviut/silk blend - although it may be way too expensive this trip.

We're not talking about Vanna and Red Heart here!!!!

Alberta Quilter,

I just have to give you a big THANK YOU for your thread. I have made so many notes of "musts" when I make my cruise.

I would like to echo this. Thank you Quilter. It's been fun vacationing vicariously with you.

Edited by VermeulT

I'm not a knitter so can't really answer your question but I get asked something similar about quilt shops.

Yes, often it is different patterns than one would get at home. There are local quilt designers whose patterns may only be available locally. For fabric, in Alaska, there are more wildlife themed fabrics. Also, different quilt shops have different personalities, just as their owners do. We once did a road trip where we visited ten different shops. Believe me, they were all very different in terms of what fabric they stocked.

It's lovely to have a quilt that I made that reminds me of the trip. I've just completed the top for a quilt kit that I purchased in Skagway a few years ago, that was designed by a Sitka quilter and is based on Margerie Glacier. It's a great souvenir of the trip.

For knitters, I believe that one can get locally produced yarn in some locales. I know when we were in Tallinn a few years ago, some were purchasing local yarn there. I have no idea whether one can get locally produced yarn in Alaska, though.

Local handspun yarn. Kind of like people collect cookbooks or magnets or dishes from their travels I pick up a locally spun yarn, maybe in a color that reminds me of the area [glacier blue?!!] to make a scarf, or just to pet. I will be looking for a quiviut/silk blend - although it may be way too expensive this trip.

We're not talking about Vanna and Red Heart here!!!!

Thank you both for the education. I have always taught my children that a good day is one in which they learn something new, no matter how significant or insignificant it may seem at the time. Today is a good day for me. :)

I did understand fabrics for quilters, but was really stumped with knitters. Like I said, I am not a knitter, but after seeing so many posts on the forums regarding shop where knitters could buy yarn, I just had to ask. I just never thought about locally spun yarn. Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. It is much appreciated.

Like I said, I am not a knitter, but after seeing so many posts on the forums regarding shop where knitters could buy yarn, I just had to ask. I just never thought about locally spun yarn. Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. It is much appreciated.

You're not the only one. Inquiring minds want to know. You were brave to ask. :)

I used to knit and crochet a lot -- but when arthritis set into my hands and fingers -- had to give it up.

I would buy yarn in various ports -- especially in England and Ireland and Scotland.

I have never been a knitter...my grandmother was..but I have bought some of the nicest sweaters..and beautiful Christmas woolen squares to use as decorative mats under candles...etc...in Ireland...have never seen anything like that in the US...

Hi

I belonged to a group where we would travel to diffefeerent places/ she would take a empty suit case and buy diffeerent yarn at different places we visited. sne knitted a scaft for all the ladies in the group. It was the sky line of Vancouver..

Mary

DH and I took this cruise in September 2012, and to date it is our most favorite. Am so enjoying reading your review and remembering the special moments.

Also want to thank you for attempting to carry on with POA1's amazing research relating to the SBP card. You really have to be willing to sacrifice a great deal to be able to match the the information they gathered during their previous grand experiment.

To the knitters who were asking for information - there is a small knitting shop in Sitka that has some local yarns. I am not sure of the selection - I found what I wanted at the "Quilted Raven Quilt Shop" in Anchorage.

Between this store and several others that were in other ports along the way - found enough batiks to make a quilt for DH and myself.

Again - Thank you AQ for taking the time to write a great review. Look forward to seeing the rest of it.

Okie

PS to POA1 - Thank you for the bed time drinking cures - DH confessed that he has ordered a bottle of wine to be served with our dinner the evening we are leaving Glacier Bay. I am not a big drinker - but guess celebrating 40 years of marriage calls for a night of indulgence. Am making sure I have plenty of Dramamine on hand.

Edited by Okie1946

Thanks vbmom87 for asking this question- I never would have thought of it and thanks AQ for answering! My sister is an avid knitter and we will be in Tallinn this summer and I will look to purchase some local wool for her. I am sure she will know what to do with it!

Wool, who knew? The power of CC strikes again.

May 28/14 Hubbard Glacier

This morning started late, probably because I was up half the night working on that darn puzzle, returning home at midnight. I actually slept until after 8! Usually, I've been up shortly after 6. We went to the MDR for breakfast, finishing after 9.

Because of the scenic cruising this afternoon, most of the usual activities were compressed into the morning schedule. Team trivia was at 10 am. We would have missed it if it were not for running into one of our table mates ten minutes before. But, we lost yet again. I think we liked the questions under Jazzy better!

We had requested a copy of our bill so that we could review it. There were a couple of errors, one a mini bar charge which we haven't used at all, and the other was a charge for a pop in the Crow's Nest. I guess that last one was my fault. When we enquired about it, they said that my room card had been scanned at the time of purchase. I must have given the room card in error, instead of the Explore4 SBP card. The beverage manager came down and corrected it for us.

We chatted with her about the E4 for a bit. We told her we didn't care for the wine under $7. She did say to watch out for specials like the Sip & Savour events as those would be allowed under the SBP. They provide a different wine and hors d'ourvres every day at 5 pm. I think it costs $4. I've been tempted to go a couple of times but never made it. So that's a tip for anyone about to receive/purchase the SBP. As an FYI, they do keep track of everyone's drinking habits. They know if one has been achieving that 15 drink maximum.

Pea soup was served at 10:30 am in the Crow's Nest and on the Lido and LP decks. It was quite good, but not as good as DM's. No, she did not pay me to say that! I know where my bread is buttered!!! The pea soup was also available in the Lido at lunch.

There was a salmon cookout in the midship pool area at lunch. The salmon was very good but some of the hot side dishes were cold. There was also the regular buffet open.

We approached Hubbard Glacier very slowly. The scenic cruising of Hubbard Glacier was to start at 1 pm. Well, I got out on the bow, and then on forward deck 6, at 1 pm. It wasn't for another couple of hours until we actually got there. It was amazing approaching it straight on for a couple of hours. We spent quite a bit of time there, and saw lots of calving. The thunder was incredible. Some of the calving was small chunks of ice, but there were at least two significant calving events. We seemed fairly close. I'm a terrible judge of distances but I heard that some thought we were about a mile from the glacier. People have been happy with the Captain getting so close to both glaciers on this cruise. We then retreated as slowly as we arrived. I quite enjoyed seeing Hubbard for the first time. I can't decide, though, which I like better - Hubbard or Margerie. I think it may be Margerie as that was the first I ever saw up close, and one always remembers their first!

If you go, plan to spend a good three to four hours out viewing the approach, and the actual glacier. Do wear layers; I had to go back in to get the fleece lining for my jacket. You will need a hat/hood and gloves. There was a nasty wind, as we entered the bay, coming off of the glacier. Once inside the bay, it didn't seem as cold. It was overcast, which, we were told, brings out the blues of the glacier. I think the deck 6 public balcony over the bow was better than the bow for viewing the glacier. One could lean on the railing. On the other hand, all of the people on the bow would provide some protection, from the wind, for some.

Dinner tonight was a bit of a mixed bag. One had vegetarian stuffed cabbage; it wasn't great. Two had short ribs. One had swordfish. One had salmon off the the always available menu. The last had the seafood Cobb Salad.

The entertainment tonight was The Barnaby Experience. It was an experience, all right. Part juggler, part singer and part comedian. He was very good. Last night's entertainer, the one whose name I couldn't remember, was Nick Lewin.

After the show, I tried to work on the puzzle for a while but was too tired to concentrate on it. I wrote up the Kodiak report and went to bed.

Tomorrow, we will be in Sitka.