Hopefully, Live From the MS Amsterdam May 17 - June 1, 2014

May 23/14 Icy Strait Point

We were anchored at ISP when I woke up at 6:15 am so obviously we left Juneau sometime after 12:30 and sailed to ISP before 6:00 am. I guess all is well with the azipod. We have not been given any further info.

It was a very clear day, lots of sunshine and very few clouds. After breakfast, we got our tender ticket to go ashore. The tender process was quick and easy. It took about 10 minutes to take the tender. I was quite excited to learn that there was a quilt shop in ISP! It's new this year. The people running it have a quilt shop in Seattle. They seemed to be pleased with the traffic today. There were some interesting things in the other shops but nothing that really grabbed us.

We went whale watching today. We booked through HAL. We did see some whales, a sea lion and some otters. There wasn't much action in the whale department. That was unfortunate. We only saw two flukes and some shallow diving. Even people taking private tours were frustrated with the lack of whale sightings. No one can control those whales, can they?

We shared halibut & chips before heading back to the ship. It was good,a little greasy, and a little expensive but this is Alaska.

We got back in time to play trivia. After a dismal start, we did end up tying for first place. We each won a HAL golf towel.

Tonight was a formal night. I think it was the best meal I've ever had in the MDR on any cruise! The chateaubriand was to die for! Three of us received two pieces of beef tenderloin, that had been marinating for three days, with some tiny potatoes and some asparagus. One person had duck breast, one had pork cracklin' and the sixth person had Alaskan bass. The bass was dry and overcooked so it was barely consumed.

The entertainer tonight was a soprano, Colleen Williamson. The 8:00 pm show was not very well attended, as far as I could see. It was too bad as she was quite good. She sang a variety of songs from Broadway to opera. Hopefully, the other shows were better attended.

The surprise of the evening was at Karaoke. The librarian, Emily, belted out Cabaret without even looking at the words. My, she was very good.

Tomorrow is a sea day. Now that we have our cruise director, some of the usual activities are coming back into the schedule.

Outstanding job with the reports AQ! We're really enjoying them. Please tell your mother that she sounds like a great traveling companion.

Quick question - It's been a few years since we've done Alaska. We're thinking about it for next summer. In the past, Alaska was less dressy than other destinations because of all the weight/space that warm clothes take up. How is your cruise on formal nights?

Again, thank you so much. We really appreciate your taking time out of your vacation to file your reports. :)

Thank you, and everyone else for the kind words about my reports. I'm doing it for a few reasons but mostly to return the favour to those who have done similar reports, and to help future cruisers to Alaska.

As for formal nights, I have always found them to be more casual. But having said that, there are two men at our table who, tonight, were both wearing tuxedos. They looked rather dashing! I saw more tuxes in the Ocean Bar prior to dinner.

I suggest that you let your luggage capacity determine whether or not you dress to the nines, or only to the sevens, on formal nights. Some Floridians and other southerners are having issues with the cooler temperatures whereas I am used to and prefer cooler temps. You may want to pack some additional bulky clothing which could preclude you from packing the tux.

Edited by Alberta Quilter

AQ, thank you for taking the time to do the Live posts.

I'm on the 14 Day leaving on June 22 and am making notes of "musts" from your posts.

Where in Icy Strait Point is the Quilt Shop? I want to visit it.

I'm a knitter. Have you found any Yarn Shops in the various ports?

I'm enjoying your review. I haven't been to ISP and I would like to go back to Tracey Arm so this sounds like the perfect cruise for me. Glad you had great weather. I use this trick to figure out C to F temps. Double the C number and add 32. It is approximate, but works for me.

AQ - did they notify the pax about "There was a special theme in the lido tonight- Gold Rush Dinner. Local salmon, Gold Digger's chilli and other Alaskan delicacies. There was an Alaskan Beer Buffet." We didn't get up there to check it out so I do not have any details on that event.

Or was it a surprise to folks who went to the lido :) and to those who didn't :(

Quick question - It's been a few years since we've done Alaska. We're thinking about it for next summer. In the past, Alaska was less dressy than other destinations because of all the weight/space that warm clothes take up. How is your cruise on formal nights?

I'm not AQ, but I'll jump in with my two cents ... we're aboard Amsterdam, too.

The first formal night I saw two tuxedos, numerous jackets/ties, and some dress shirts without ties and with various forms of jackets.

Second formal night (last night) I saw no tuxedos, some jackets/ties, and more numerous casually-dressed people. The Lido was full at dinnertime, and people were in jeans, slacks, etc.

That's just from my viewpoint. Had we gone to the MDR there may have been many many more formally dressed people.

Also, there don't seem to be as many Formal Photo setups as we're used to on this cruise.

I'm on the 14 Day leaving on June 22 and am making notes of "musts" from your posts.

It's one of the shops in the old cannery. It was listed in the port info booklet that HAL provides on embarkation day. I think there may have been a small selection of yarn in that shop.

I'm sorry, I'm not a knitter so have not been looking for those shops.

AQ - did they notify the pax about "There was a special theme in the lido tonight- Gold Rush Dinner. Local salmon, Gold Digger's chilli and other Alaskan delicacies. There was an Alaskan Beer Buffet." We didn't get up there to check it out so I do not have any details on that event.

Or was it a surprise to folks who went to the lido :) and to those who didn't :(

It was in the daily program.

Since I get up early. Where can I get coffee at 4am?

I've not been up that early, on any cruise, nor do I drink coffee. I'm sure you can get your coffee in the Lido, at least once the Code Orange is over. I would suggest room service until then but that may disturb your roommate.

I'm enjoying your review. I haven't been to ISP and I would like to go back to Tracey Arm so this sounds like the perfect cruise for me. Glad you had great weather. I use this trick to figure out C to F temps. Double the C number and add 32. It is approximate, but works for me.

Thanks but converting is too much like work for this accountant while on vacation. I'd like to see the US join the rest of the world by converting to the metric system! But that is outside of the scope of this thread so I'll go back to regular programming now.:D

I've not been up that early, on any cruise, nor do I drink coffee. I'm sure you can get your coffee in the Lido, at least once the Code Orange is over. I would suggest room service until then but that may disturb your roommate.

Thank you. Room service won't work. My wife is a night person, I am a morning person so I leave the cabin when I get up and come back when it is time for breakfast.

Icy Strait Point doesn't have much, but there is a shuttle you can take, that is not very expensive, and is only about a 10 minute ride to Hoonah!! there are some small shops there... can't remember if there is a yarn shop though.

In Juneau there is a nice yarn shop on the main drag just across from the Juneau museum.... I guess this info won't help if you have already been to Juneau on this cruise!!

May 23/14 Icy Strait Point

<SNIP>

The entertainer tonight was a soprano, Colleen Williamson. The 8:00 pm show was not very well attended, as far as I could see. It was too bad as she was quite good. She sang a variety of songs from Broadway to opera. Hopefully, the other shows were better attended.

<SNIP>

Tomorrow is a sea day. Now that we have our cruise director, some of the usual activities are coming back into the schedule.

Coleen's usual gig is as female lead singer on the Crystal Symphony, but she seems to appear quite often on the Amsterdam while on vacation. I think her last time there was on the WC just after the Panama Canal, and she should have left the Symphony very recently.

I spoke to Ms. Williamson at the start of my string of cruises, and she spoke very glowingly of her time on the Amsterdam. I think she and Gene Young must have an excellent relationship. I've been to many of her shows on the Symphony and share your opinion of her.

Roy

I've been looking for them as well. The shop near Seattle is closed the day I am there. Seaside Yarns is in Juneau. There 'was' one in Ketchikan and Victoria - I am investigating. Do you visit ravelry dot com - I'm DebbyC on there if you do. I'd love to get a teeny bit of locally spun quiviut.

Threadjack over - back to AQ!!!!

I've been looking for them as well. The shop near Seattle is closed the day I am there. Seaside Yarns is in Juneau. There 'was' one in Ketchikan and Victoria - I am investigating. Do you visit ravelry dot com - I'm DebbyC on there if you do. I'd love to get a teeny bit of locally spun quiviut.

The quilt shop in Anchorage has yarns!

Some info for knitters from a former Seattle-area resident. There is a shop (that I know about because both DW and our son's SO are knitters) called Churchmouse Yarns and Teas in the city of Bainbridge Island http://www.churchmouseyarns.com/ . The island is called Bainbridge, and the main town was called Winslow before the whole island incorporated. (You may have heard of the island/town from "Sleepless in Seattle.")

So what you may ask? Well, a ferry from downtown Seattle docks at Winslow, about 5 blocks from Churchmouse, and takes about a half hour to get there from Coleman Dock (Pier 52) in Seattle. A round-trip ferry day trip is very easy, and the shop might be open when you are there. Ferry schedules are available at: http://www.wsdot.com/ferries/schedule/ScheduleDetailByRoute.aspx?route=sea-bi

The town is very pretty (I used to live about 8 blocks from the ferry), with some nice places for lunch if you are so inclined.

Dave

Some info for knitters from a former Seattle-area resident. There is a shop (that I know about because both DW and our son's SO are knitters) called Churchmouse Yarns and Teas in the city of Bainbridge Island http://www.churchmouseyarns.com/ . The island is called Bainbridge, and the main town was called Winslow before the whole island incorporated. (You may have heard of the island/town from "Sleepless in Seattle.")

So what you may ask? Well, a ferry from downtown Seattle docks at Winslow, about 5 blocks from Churchmouse, and takes about a half hour to get there from Coleman Dock (Pier 52) in Seattle. A round-trip ferry day trip is very easy, and the shop might be open when you are there. Ferry schedules are available at: http://www.wsdot.com/ferries/schedule/ScheduleDetailByRoute.aspx?route=sea-bi

The town is very pretty (I used to live about 8 blocks from the ferry), with some nice places for lunch if you are so inclined.

Dave

Churchmouse was definitely on my list but she is closed on the 4th of July - the only day I'm in Seattle. :( Bainbridge is still on the maybe list.

Churchmouse was definitely on my list but she is closed on the 4th of July - the only day I'm in Seattle. :( Bainbridge is still on the maybe list.

So sorry that it will not be open. I guess Churchmouse is more well-known in the knitting world than I had imagined! Hope things work out for you, but at least other knitters may benefit from the info I posted.

If you have the time, do consider Bainbridge, because not only is the town delightful, but the ferry ride is stupendous, including the views of Seattle from the water. Be aware, though, that on July 4, the ferry crossings at dusk, around the time of fireworks (if Seattle is still doing them that is), can be extremely crowded, as you could imagine.

Dave