Hopefully, Live From the MS Amsterdam May 17 - June 1, 2014

Local handspun yarn. Kind of like people collect cookbooks or magnets or dishes from their travels I pick up a locally spun yarn, maybe in a color that reminds me of the area [glacier blue?!!] to make a scarf, or just to pet. I will be looking for a quiviut/silk blend - although it may be way too expensive this trip.

We're not talking about Vanna and Red Heart here!!!!

I am surprised that no knitter has mentioned the OOmingmak musk ox cooperative in downtown anchorage......(for you non-knitters, musk ox is the source for qiviut yarn.....softer and warmer than cashmere by a mile!)

It is a fun place to visit.....you can buy handknit (very pricy, but lovely) scarves and shawls. I bought a "smoke ring" there in 2001 and still wear it for warmth in the New Hampshire winters.....it was definitely worth the price. I figure I'm helping keep the Inuit knitting culture alive with my purchase, and I think about how lovely Alaska was every time I wear it, so it was an excellent souvenir.

Last summer we went back and I bought a kit to knit my own qiviut hat. Hope some other cruising knitters stop in at OOmingmak....it is a special shop.

Barbara M. In NH

AQ,

Thanks again for your great reviews.

The deck six viewing area looks to be right under the bridge. How do you access it and is it open only certain times?

From looking at the deck plan maybe just forward of BC6101?

TIA,

Sightcrr

I am surprised that no knitter has mentioned the OOmingmak musk ox cooperative in downtown anchorage......(for you non-knitters' date=' musk ox is the source for qiviut yarn.....softer and warmer than cashmere by a mile!)

It is a fun place to visit.....you can buy handknit (very pricy, but lovely) scarves and shawls. I bought a "smoke ring" there in 2001 and still wear it for warmth in the New Hampshire winters.....it was definitely worth the price. I figure I'm helping keep the Inuit knitting culture alive with my purchase, and I think about how lovely Alaska was every time I wear it, so it was an excellent souvenir.

Last summer we went back and I bought a kit to knit my own qiviut hat. Hope some other cruising knitters stop in at OOmingmak....it is a special shop.

Barbara M. In NH[/quote']

Thanks for the info. I will try to check out OOmingmak the next time I am in AK. I like to pick up locally made items when I can. A t-shirt that says Alaska on it, but made in China, isn't my idea of a great souvenir.

AQ,

Thanks again for your great reviews.

The deck six viewing area looks to be right under the bridge. How do you access it and is it open only certain times?

From looking at the deck plan maybe just forward of BC6101?

TIA,

Sightcrr

There were signs directing us to the port side. The access was between 6102 and 6104.

As far as I know those upper decks are open all the time.

Wonderful

Meant to ask -- when you discovered your breakfast card still hanging on the door handle, did you ever ask the front office why it wasn't picked up?

No, we didn't bother. We're in a bit of a funny location, in room 3328, right next to the cruise director's office. As there are only two rooms in that section, I think it may just have been overlooked.

It wasn't a big deal and we had time to go to the Lido. It wasn't worth making a fuss.

May 29/14 Sitka

We didn't arrive into Sitka until 9:00 am. It was a pretty sail in, even though the clouds were low. If you are coming to Sitka, you don't need to be up really early for the sail in, like one needs to for sailing through the Swedish archipelago, maybe just an hour. There are fewer islands on the sail in to Sitka.

We opted to take a HAL tour today, Historic Sitka. First, we went to the Russian Orthodox Church. What was really cool about this one was that the bishop who arrived a couple of years ago had the doors behind the screens open at all times. Usually, they are only open during services and only the priest may go through them. So, after visiting a few Russian Orthodox Churches over the past couple of years, for the first time, we got to see the sanctuaries behind the screens.

I have to admit I am one of the not very religious so was not terribly interested in the talk about all of the icons and their symbolism. I was also somewhat distracted when I realized that I could see the quilt shop, across the street, through the cathedral window! I basically window shopped through two windows!

Then we went to the Jackson museum which was full of native artifacts. If you should go, check out the stitching on the fish and gut suits. There was an artist in residence there who was working on his art and was happy to answer questions.

We also went to a park where there were several totems, and an interpretive centre, and to a traditional Russian folkloric dance show. None of the dancers are Russian but they do it to stay in shape and for the cameradery. It lasted only half an hour.

Apparently, the Raptor Centre used to be included in this tour but that visit meant that the other stops were too short. That's why they removed the Raptor Centre from this particular tour. Some people inquired about it because it was listed when they purchased their tickets. Out guide called his his manager and they decided to add it. So, our last stop was to the Raptor Centre which was really good and interesting. We were there about an hour which meant our tour was half an hour longer than it was supposed to be.

We were dropped off at the tender pier but we turned around and went back downtown. We wanted to poke around a bit at the shops. But it was almost 2 pm by this point and we hadn't had lunch! We made quick work of our poking about and got back to the pier. We went to the lido for a quick lunch and then it was off to Team Trivia by 3:30. We came in second, losing by one point. Not bad at all.

For the quilters and knitters: the quilt shop is on the left as you face St Michael's. I found it to be very pricey, more so than the others. I've been using the price of Bali Pops as a yardstick for pricing - in Alberta ~$43 Cdn, in most shops in Alaska it's about $42 US. At Abbey's Reflections in Sitka $52.95! I know transportation costs factor into pricing but it was less expensive in Kodiak! I walked out without purchasing anything. Fabric was about $13/yard. The knitting store was about a block down from the church, to the right hand side as you face the church.

Some other info for all upcoming cruisers to Alaska. Alaska is currently experiencing the highest pollen year in recent history. The pollen is everywhere. There are yellow slicks of pollen on the water - I thought it was a different form of algae but it's really pollen. I took pictures of pollen slicks on the way to Hubbard so I can post those when I get home. Plants are covered with the stuff. Some cruisers seem to be afflicted with something and the pollen is what is being blamed. DM has been coughing for a couple of days now. Her coughing fits got really bad after trivia; she turned purple. She's absolutely exhausted, just from the coughing. And she's not the only one; others have mentioned that they or their companion have a bad cough. It's not a cold at all. So, any one with allergies or asthma, please bring your meds with you to Alaska. Even if you don't have those issues, maybe you should bring some Benadryl or other allergy meds AND some throat lozenges with you. DM says the throat lozenges are what are helping the most right now.

There were only five at dinner tonight, DM being the one absent for reasons explained above. One had chicken, three had wattleseed duck, and one had lamb shank. DM ordered the French onion soup and the tuna melt from room service. She didn't care for the tuna melt.

We lost at pub trivia again tonight. But we tied for first place at Name That Tune. The theme was The Beatles. Two on our team are from Britain, one of the was born in Liverpool. The only one we got wrong was one song they didn't write - Long Tall Sally.

The entertainment was a combined show with Nick Lewin and Ryan Ahern. I didn't go to see it as I sat with DM as she had her dinner.

Tomorrow is our final sea day en route to Victoria. That means we have to pack because we disembark in Victoria. (Heavy sigh.) It's been a great cruise.

Edited by Alberta Quilter

May 29/14 Sitka

We didn't arrive into Sitka until 9:00 am. It was a pretty sail in, even though the clouds were low. If you are coming to Sitka, you don't need to be up really early for the sail in, like one needs to for sailing through the Swedish archipelago, maybe just an hour. There are fewer islands on the sail in to Sitka.

We opted to take a HAL tour today, Historic Sitka. First, we went to the Russian Orthodox Church. What was really cool about this one was that the bishop who arrived a couple of years ago had the doors behind the screens open at all times. Usually, they are only open during services and only the priest may go through them. So, after visiting a few Russian Orthodox Churches over the past couple of years, for the first time, we got to see the sanctuaries behind the screens.

I have to admit I am one of the not very religious so was not terribly interested in the talk about all of the icons and their symbolism. I was also somewhat distracted when I realized that I could see the quilt shop, across the street, through the cathedral window! I basically window shopped through two windows!

Then we went to the Jackson museum which was full of native artifacts. If you should go, check out the stitching on the fish and gut suits. There was an artist in residence there who was working on his art and was happy to answer questions.

We also went to a park where there were several totems, and an interpretive centre, and to a traditional Russian folkloric dance show. None of the dancers are Russian but they do it to stay in shape and for the cameradery. It lasted only half an hour.

Apparently, the Raptor Centre used to be included in this tour but that visit meant that the other stops were too short. That's why they removed the Raptor Centre from this particular tour. Some people inquired about it because it was listed when they purchased their tickets. Out guide called his his manager and they decided to add it. So, our last stop was to the Raptor Centre which was really good and interesting. We were there about an hour which meant our tour was half an hour longer than it was supposed to be.

We were dropped off at the tender pier but we turned around and went back downtown. We wanted to poke around a bit at the shops. But it was almost 2 pm by this point and we hadn't had lunch! We made quick work of our poking about and got back to the pier. We went to the lido for a quick lunch and then it was off to Team Trivia by 3:30. We came in second, losing by one point. Not bad at all.

For the quilters and knitters: the quilt shop is on the left as you face St Michael's. I found it to be very pricey, more so than the others. I've been using the price of Bali Pops as a yardstick for pricing - in Alberta ~$43 Cdn, in most shops in Alaska it's about $42 US. At Abbey's Reflections in Sitka $52.95! I know transportation costs factor into pricing but it was less expensive in Kodiak! I walked out without purchasing anything. Fabric was about $13/yard. The knitting store was about a block down from the church, to the right hand side as you face the church.

Some other info for all upcoming cruisers to Alaska. Alaska is currently experiencing the highest pollen year in recent history. The pollen is everywhere. There are yellow slicks of pollen on the water - I thought it was a different form of algae but it's really pollen. I took pictures of pollen slicks on the way to Hubbard so I can post those when I get home. Plants are covered with the stuff. Some cruisers seem to be afflicted with something and the pollen is what is being blamed. DM has been coughing for a couple of days now. Her coughing fits got really bad after trivia; she turned purple. She's absolutely exhausted, just from the coughing. And she's not the only one; others have mentioned that they or their companion have a bad cough. It's not a cold at all. So, any one with allergies or asthma, please bring your meds with you to Alaska. Even if you don't have those issues, maybe you should bring some Benadryl or other allergy meds AND some throat lozenges with you. DM says the throat lozenges are what are helping the most right now.

There were only five at dinner tonight, DM being the one absent for reasons explained above. One had chicken, three had wattleseed duck, and one had lamb shank. DM ordered the French onion soup and the tuna melt from room service. She didn't care for the tuna melt.

We lost at pub trivia again tonight. But we tied for first place at Name That Tune. The theme was The Beatles. Two on our team are from Britain, one of the was born in Liverpool. The only one we got wrong was one song they didn't write - Long Tall Sally.

The entertainment was a combined show with Nick Lewin and Ryan Ahern. I didn't go to see it as I sat with DM as she had her dinner.

Tomorrow is our final sea day en route to Victoria. That means we have to pack because we disembark in Victoria. (Heavy sigh.) It's been a great cruise.

CLIPPER; I have been following your live from, interesting.... glad you got to go to the Raptor Center, I really liked it there, and my grandson thought it one of his favorite places in Sitka!! so glad your cruise has been pleasant, I didn't read about any more rain, has the weather been nice??:cool:

AQ - with your great updates, it has been as if we have been with you. It really came across when you said it was time to pack, the cruise is almost over. I got sad, as if I had to pack because my cruise was over. Thank you for taking us on your journey. We enjoyed the ride:)

CLIPPER; I have been following your live from, interesting.... glad you got to go to the Raptor Center, I really liked it there, and my grandson thought it one of his favorite places in Sitka!! so glad your cruise has been pleasant, I didn't read about any more rain, has the weather been nice??:cool:

The weather has been okay to good for the most part. We had rain in Ketchikan (no surprise there) and in Kodiak (brief rain/fog during the tour). Some people have been really cold, but those are the Floridians and other southerners who are used to warmer temps. For me, the coldest day was out on deck for four hours on Hubbard Glacier day. There was quite a wind chill that day.

I would say that the temps have been in the low to mid 40's for the most part. At least, I'm going by the on Location guides because I don't normally speak in Fahrenheit!

AQ - with your great updates, it has been as if we have been with you. It really came across when you said it was time to pack, the cruise is almost over. I got sad, as if I had to pack because my cruise was over. Thank you for taking us on your journey. We enjoyed the ride:)

Yes, I'm sad too. One last breakfast in the MDR....

And, I didn't pack yesterday!:eek: Guess what I'm doing this morning in between trivia and bingo!

No, we didn't bother. We're in a bit of a funny location, in room 3328, right next to the cruise director's office. As there are only two rooms in that section, I think it may just have been overlooked.

It wasn't a big deal and we had time to go to the Lido. It wasn't worth making a fuss.

Thank you for explaining.

Hope your Mom gets better soon. Thank you for your continuing review. From other threads, I haven't heard about the pollen. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to your photos when you get home.

This is out of order, I know, but I had to share this news with you all!

I won a cruise at Bingo, this morning! What a pleasant way to end our cruise!

DM will sacrifice herself to go back to the Caribbean with me (she's not overly fond of the Caribbean).

Another trip to plan.... What a first world problem!!

This is out of order, I know, but I had to share this news with you all!

I won a cruise at Bingo, this morning! What a pleasant way to end our cruise!

DM will sacrifice herself to go back to the Caribbean with me (she's not overly fond of the Caribbean).

Another trip to plan.... What a first world problem!!

Awesome! you are the second person today to mention bingo for a free cruise ... maybe I will have to play a little! Congratulations