Puzzled about Tipping dining room?

ibcruiseing

Just completed a great cruise handed the head waiter a extra tip in an envelope, also gave the 2 assistant waiters envelopes watched them walk over and give them to the head waiter. My question is are they not allowed to receive tips or are they required to give them to the team leader?

They give them to the head waiter and then the head waiter will give their portion (%) back. How much the assistants get is determined by how long they have been with Carnival and with that ship. This was told to us by our head waiter on the Breeze.

Just completed a great cruise handed the head waiter a extra tip in an envelope, also gave the 2 assistant waiters envelopes watched them walk over and give them to the head waiter. My question is are they not allowed to receive tips or are they required to give them to the team leader?

Did you have any time dining? If so, this concerns me b/c I always tip extra for any time dining - I ask to be seated in the same section every night and then tip them at the end in addition to leaving the auto-tip in place. If I tip them, I want them to get every penny of what I give them. I give the head waiter the most and then give the assistance waiters different amounts depending on their service.

Edited by erby2283

It's no different than what a number of land-based restaurants do. All of the tip money goes into one lump sum, then is divided as a percentage (like Island Hopping mentioned) among the waiters and assistant waiters. Many many years ago, when I was in my late teens, I worked as a busboy in a restaurant, and that's how it was done.

We have always given cash (not in an envelope) directly to our wait staff individually when we want to give them a little extra for taking such good care of us. This is in addition to the auto gratuities. They always thank us and slip it into their pockets. I didn't realize they might be turning it in to their supervisor.

This is the type of thing I would love to hear John Healds take on...

He has addressed this many times over. Any tips you give to your service staff whether by cash or through auto tip goes to the intended staff at 100% rate. Once they receive it, they can do anything with it they like.

If the dining room is tipping you should proceed directly to your muster station. :) OK: I couldn't resist.

Tips go into a pool but "if" you haven't removed yourself from the automatic gratuity program the individuals "should" be able to keep any gratuities you give them. I put should in quotes because there may be different rules depending on who the Maitre' d is. The Maitre' d/Dining room manager is the king and dispenses the tips.

Personally, I just give them the additional gratuity on the sly.

Take care,

Mike

Don't know if it's the same on Carnival, but on Holland America, if someone gets cash tips, they have to turn them in. Until it's determined whether the person who gave the tip removed their auto-tips or not. If the auto-tip was removed, the cash tip goes into the pool to be divided. If the auto-tip wasn't removed, the cash tip is returned to the person receiving it.

Wow! I always thought the extra tip stayed with our waiters! We have had super beyond the call of duty service. & tipped accordingly on top of auto tip. I sure hope they got to keep it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

‎John Heald

3 hrs ·

John, I have a question, Just got off the Freedom and what a great time was had by all.

service was outstanding and in addition to the tips on the sign and sail we elected to tip extra. we did envelopes that we handed them to all 3 of the wait staff, we were very surprised as we watched the assistant waiters walked over and gave the tips to the head waiter.

Are they not allowed to keep extra tips that they are given?

look forward to your reply.

Like ·

Johns reply on facebook

John Heald He is in charge of the team of 3 Valerie and I think he will be responsible for sharing the gratuities accordingly. But please don't worry as everyone you wanted to take care of will be and how very kind you are for doing so. I am so glad you had fun and I hope we see you again soon. cheers

3 hrs · Like

‎John Heald

3 hrs ·

John, I have a question, Just got off the Freedom and what a great time was had by all.

service was outstanding and in addition to the tips on the sign and sail we elected to tip extra. we did envelopes that we handed them to all 3 of the wait staff, we were very surprised as we watched the assistant waiters walked over and gave the tips to the head waiter.

Are they not allowed to keep extra tips that they are given?

look forward to your reply.

Like ·

Johns reply on facebook

John Heald He is in charge of the team of 3 Valerie and I think he will be responsible for sharing the gratuities accordingly. But please don't worry as everyone you wanted to take care of will be and how very kind you are for doing so. I am so glad you had fun and I hope we see you again soon. cheers

3 hrs · Like

boy he danced around that one!

someone should ask him if ALL the tips that are given to waiter 'A' is kept by waiter 'A'.

boy he danced around that one!

someone should ask him if ALL the tips that are given to waiter 'A' is kept by waiter 'A'.

Yeah, my first thought about the response what "What did he say?"

Maybe a more direct question like you posed would get a clearer answer?

Yeah, my first thought about the response what "What did he say?"

Maybe a more direct question like you posed would get a clearer answer?

He said just give them the money and they will figure out who should have it.

He said just give them the money and they will figure out who should have it.

And how is the head server going to know who I feel should have the money? As long as I've left my auto-tips in place, any extra I give out should go to who I want to have it.

We have always given cash (not in an envelope) directly to our wait staff individually when we want to give them a little extra for taking such good care of us. This is in addition to the auto gratuities. They always thank us and slip it into their pockets. I didn't realize they might be turning it in to their supervisor.

SAME HERE. We do the same thing.

Ships are a hierarchy. Assistants do inform/share tips with their Team Leader if they want to stay in the good graces of shipmates. If any Assistant hides or holds out tips, they will find themselves with the worst stations and lousy assignments plus a bad reputation among crew.

Ships are a hierarchy. Assistants do inform/share tips with their Team Leader if they want to stay in the good graces of shipmates. If any Assistant hides or holds out tips, they will find themselves with the worst stations and lousy assignments plus a bad reputation among crew.

Sounds like SOA and paying off people for protection.

Why bother tipping your favorite server if the tip goes to some other server at another table who may not have been as good?

It doesn't go to "some other" server, tips are shared between your Wait Team cause, like, you know, they are a Team...