What are longer trips like on board

hbooden

Just curious...I am on the gem 12 night cruise in dec. just totally out of curiosity who is board? Is it mainly an older cruise? Lol doesn't matter just wondering if there is a difference on a longer cruise from the majority of reviews/posts that I am reading :)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Any cruise more than a week will tend to have less kids. And less people that can only take one week off from work. Or people that are afraid they will be bored.

We love longer cruises. More relaxing. More chill out time. Less kids, even though we love kids.

Oh I will be 38 then and my hubs 45 so I refuse to think that's old lol! I just didn't know if we would be the youngest by a lot or not! And yeah I love kids (have 3 of my own) but I will not miss it if they aren't on this one cause it will make me miss mine! ;) no seriously kids don't bother me :)

I don't even know if I have a true point just curious if there is a different vibe

Most of the cruises that we do are two week cruises. The average age is in the 60s. We did one seven day cruise on the Epic and the average age was in the 40s.

It is not a big deal to us.

However, for us a seven day cruise is just not long enough. We are just getting started after a week.

We are doing two 14 day cruises on the NCL Star back to back in September and October and will love it.

Hi I think there might be less kids on longer cruises only because they can't get the time out if school. We have been on a 12 day med cruise and will be on a 14 day cruise this fall. I agree that we are just getting relaxed after the first week. We are in our 30s and would rather take one big cruise than multiple shorter ones. It also gives you more time to make new friends!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Most of the cruises that we do are two week cruises. The average age is in the 60s. We did one seven day cruise on the Epic and the average age was in the 40s.

It is not a big deal to us.

However, for us a seven day cruise is just not long enough. We are just getting started after a week.

We are doing two 14 day cruises on the NCL Star back to back in September and October and will love it.

That sounds about right. Our 15-day Panama Canal cruise had an average age of 67. Our more recent 9-day was around 50.

When in December would make a difference. If the kids are in school, then you likely will have very few and the ones you do have will be younger. The crowd in general will be older. >50

If it was around the holidays then it'd be crowded with all ages.

We are booked on the Jewel, LA to Houston via Panama .Canal, and Jade Venice to Houston TA. I have offered NCL five presentations on the Jewel, but no response yet, there must be a great source of "free" entertainment on board each cruise. Interesting to see the outcome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I do think the crowd is slightly older and fewer children on a longer cruise. One more observation about a "more than 7-day cruise" is that people seem much more relaxed from the very first day. It has always felt on a 7-day that people on embarkation day are hurrying up to get everything planned and settled with the steward (and butler in suites) and with reservations, excursions, etc. On the longer cruises it seems that people start out more relaxed and that the press to get reservations for the specialty restaurants is less because you can spread them out a little more.

I noticed the demographics of the longer cruises, differ from the shorter ones. The passengers range from young parents of toddlers & babies, to seniors who are in the majority. Many of the seniors prefer the longer cruises because there are fewer school-age children on board.

You'll always find preschoolers onboard at any time, because they are not yet tied to school schedules. If the parents can work the time off, they'll be there.

As others have stated, the 7 day cruises are not enough for me anymore. 10-14 days are my preference. Coming home is such a let-down, when I have to make my own bed, and cook my own meals.

I sailed the one-of-a-kind 16-night Colonial America itinerary from Quebec City to Tampa on Norwegian Dawn in October 2012 (during Hurricane Sandy!) and it was sublime. It was my first longer-than-seven-night sailing, and initially I was worried about the length. I kept saying to myself: "Okay, it's like doing a 7-night, then another 7-night, and then an extra two days beyond that." :eek: But at the end of that 16-night cruise, I could have done it all again! :p

The quality of the experience comes from knowing you have more than enough time to do whatever you want. I bought the spa pass, and turned my daily trip to the gym into a 2-and-a-half hour spa experience. And that's the point, you have time to get into a rhythm. Sit-down breakfast in the MDR; long trip to the gym; afternoon coffee with live entertainment in the atrium; trip to the pool/hot tub (weather permitting), then dinner and a show, and drinks afterwards.

Of course, we had 10 ports of call on that cruise, so there was plenty of time off the ship as well, but what a wonderful way to really sink into an onboard experience. Give it a try! Oh, and I forgot: I was 45 on that sailing and my travel buddy was 52. I think we were the youngest people on the cruise. But lots of folks in their upper 50s and lower 60s. A chatty crowd. Lots of Canadians!

Edited by Cruiser Bruiser

I sailed the one-of-a-kind 16-night Colonial America itinerary from Quebec City to Tampa on Norwegian Dawn in October 2012 (during Hurricane Sandy!) and it was sublime. It was my first longer-than-seven-night sailing, and initially I was worried about the length. I kept saying to myself: "Okay, it's like doing a 7-night, then another 7-night, and then an extra two days beyond that." :eek: But at the end of that 16-night cruise, I could have done it all again! :p

The quality of the experience comes from knowing you have more than enough time to do whatever you want. I bought the spa pass, and turned my daily trip to the gym into a 2-and-a-half hour spa experience. And that's the point, you have time to get into a rhythm. Sit-down breakfast in the MDR; long trip to the gym; afternoon coffee with live entertainment in the atrium; trip to the pool/hot tub (weather permitting), then dinner and a show, and drinks afterwards.

Of course, we had 10 ports of call on that cruise, so there was plenty of time off the ship as well, but what a wonderful way to really sink into an onboard experience. Give it a try! Oh, and I forgot: I was 45 on that sailing and my travel buddy was 52. I think we were the youngest people on the cruise. But lots of folks in their upper 50s and lower 60s. A chatty crowd. Lots of Canadians!

You hit the nail on the head. I always relax on a cruise, but knowing there is more than just "one Monday...Tuesday...", etc., gives the mental freedom to explore more of the ship and its offerings.

Just wish more of my friends understood this!

Have a blessed weekend and thank a soldier (retired or active duty).

Marne

Our roll call for a 13-day Panama Cruise on the NCL Star in November has 50 on it at the moment and 10 of them are children (20%). Eight of them are school age... so I am guessing they will be doing a little bit of Geography shipwork onboard.

Last year, we did a 9-day Pacific Coast cruise on the Celebrity Solstice and we were some of the youngsters in our in 50's and there was only a few kids on board.

A few years ago we went on a 10 day cruise on Explorer of the Seas. It was probably the best cruise we ever did! I said it felt like we moved away and that's where we lived now. lol I'd only do 10 day cruises from now on if it were up to me but my husband can't always get that much time off.

We went during July and there were alot of children, toddler, tweens and teens. Wide range of ages of adults.

I shudder to think that i may have to carry a mini wine store aboard to last more than 1 week on a boat!!

You could always supplement from the different cruise ports............same deal, pay corkage when you board.;)

Great perspective! We have only done 7 day cruises up to now due to work schedule, but as of June that is changing:)

We have several cruises booked ranging from 10-22 days. A couple have several sea days. I never thought about making a gym/ spa combo morning. Fantastic idea! and DH will love it because he gets to sleep in while I am gone. Win Win lol.

Yes we Canadians tend to be a chatty , friendly lot, then, if you had a bunch of East Coast Canadians on that ship from the Maritime and Atlantic Provinces (New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland) That would be kicked up several Notches. Maritimers never meet a stranger. We can strike up a 2 hour conversation with anyone lol.

I wish NCL sailed out of Montreal. There is a 14 day HAL New England and Canada Cruise I want to do Fall of 2015 RT Montreal..only 2-3 hours from us. no flight or long drive involved.

They could do some amazing longer Bermuda cruises out of there in the summer as well. Would be great to see the Port of Montreal better utilized by the cruise ships. For that matter Halifax port as well!

Great perspective! We have only done 7 day cruises up to now due to work schedule, but as of June that is changing:)

We have several cruises booked ranging from 10-22 days. A couple have several sea days. I never thought about making a gym/ spa combo morning. Fantastic idea! and DH will love it because he gets to sleep in while I am gone. Win Win lol.

Yes we Canadians tend to be a chatty , friendly lot, then, if you had a bunch of East Coast Canadians on that ship from the Maritime and Atlantic Provinces (New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland) That would be kicked up several Notches. Maritimers never meet a stranger. We can strike up a 2 hour conversation with anyone lol.

I wish NCL sailed out of Montreal. There is a 14 day HAL New England and Canada Cruise I want to do Fall of 2015 RT Montreal..only 2-3 hours from us. no flight or long drive involved.

They could do some amazing longer Bermuda cruises out of there in the summer as well. Would be great to see the Port of Montreal better utilized by the cruise ships. For that matter Halifax port as well!

I learned more about Canada on that cruise than I had learned in my entire life! (About time, eh?) There was a wonderful Celtic trio on board from Cape Breton Island that played frequently in the atrium café. They created a really magical ambience. By coincidence, I'm also planning a June 2015 trip on HAL. I'm planning on sailing one-way from Boston to Montreal with my niece. I think it's going to be a lovely trip. :)

I learned more about Canada on that cruise than I had learned in my entire life! (About time, eh?) There was a wonderful Celtic trio on board from Cape Breton Island that played frequently in the atrium café. They created a really magical ambience. By coincidence, I'm also planning a June 2015 trip on HAL. I'm planning on sailing one-way from Boston to Montreal with my niece. I think it's going to be a lovely trip. :)

That trio was awesome! They were opn the Gem last fall on our Canada/ NE truip (awesome trip by the way) and they played down oin bar city. That lady could play a fiddel! Wouldn't mind doing that itinerary again.

Just curious...I am on the gem 12 night cruise in dec. just totally out of curiosity who is board? Is it mainly an older cruise? Lol doesn't matter just wondering if there is a difference on a longer cruise from the majority of reviews/posts that I am reading :)

Generally the longer the cruise, the older the passengers but this doesn't mean everyone is using a walker or about to leave this earth or there aren't a lot of fun activities. There will be more afternoon shows, more trivia, some movies and just a little more of everything, with all ages taking part.