Another GETAWAY Review with Photos for the Obsessed

I’m a long time lurker, short time poster, and first time reviewer. I have about three dozen cruises under my belt and a passion for ships and the sea. I started sailing with NCL a few years ago, and they have quickly become my favorite cruise line. I still try out new ships and companies, but I tend to gravitate back towards NCL because I feel that they have a better sense of where the market is evolving than the other mass-market brands.

Now, on to the actual reviewing part of this review. I was booked in 9916, an Aft Haven Penthouse.

DSC_0046_zps37570243.jpg

There’s a doorbell, but it’s not particularly practical. You can only hear it clearly from the living room. It’s very hard to hear in the bedroom, master bath, or balcony. Since I usually spent most of my time in the cabin in those areas, the doorbell was fairly useless to me.

DSC_0047_zpsc0e08479.jpg

There’s a small bathroom near the entrance of the suite that has a minuscule shower. It’s even somewhat smaller than bathrooms for regular balcony cabins, but I think it's perfectly suited for children who might be sharing the suite with their parents.

DSC_1058_zps57c285dc.jpg

DSC_0001_zps7eb49a49.jpg

The living room is probably the most attractive room of the suite. Of course, it looks much larger in pictures than it does in real life. The lilliputian lamps are dwarfed by the regular sized phone, and I doubt the dining table would be up to the task of handling four fully set places for an extravagant meal. Nonetheless, the room is nicely decorated with interesting leathery and fabric textures on the walls.

DSC_0018_zps65b9dafc.jpg

The backlit glass is a great decorative touch, but the couch is incredibly uncomfortable. The one in the Forward Facing Haven Penthouses on the Breakaway Class are of a different design and considerably better. For testing purposes, I tried napping on one of these couches several months ago, and I just couldn’t seem to find a comfortable position to get to sleep. Apparently others here are perfectly happy with this couch, and maybe I’m just a princess atop a figurative pea, but I can’t handle it.

DSC_0021_zps5529200d.jpg

I’m not sure why, but it felt like I had to do an interpretive dance with the remote control in order to find a position that would finally get the TV to do what I wanted. I think people around me were more entertained by my remote-boogie than the actual TV programs! I tried changing remotes, but it didn’t seem to help very much. I don't watch much TV while I cruise, but I noticed that they have had the same movies and shows running on continuous loop since Breakaway. Although I doubt many would notice or care, it would be nice if NCL changed things up once every few months or so for their frequent passengers.

DSC_0020_zpsd18df18e.jpg

The flowers and daily replenished fruit baskets are always a pleasant convenience. I love snacking on grapes! The Lavazza machine is also a great perk (pun intended). I watched the sunrise from the balcony with a decent cappuccino several times, and it was indescribably wonderful.

DSC_0025_zpsfcc80967.jpg

DSC_0024_zpsb1eaa0d1.jpg

Edited by barnacle_boy

I was in 11908, another Aft Haven Penthouse, several months before on Getaway, but the layout between these two suites is quite different. I honestly preferred the layout of 11908, with the master bathroom positioned forward with the bed towards the windows. With this layout, the bedroom looks and feels considerably smaller and more cramped. Still, NCL utilized the space extremely efficiently, and there were more than enough storage areas to handle my needs for a weeklong itinerary. The TV in the bedroom was as difficult as the one in the living room.

DSC_0028_zps8b56faa4.jpg

DSC_0030_zps603cf3fc.jpg

I was not a fan of the shower and tub having windows that looked out on to the balcony. I have had penthouses on a variety of other NCL ships with a similar bathroom layout with windows out to sea, but this was the first time having this layout with a balcony on the other side of the floor-to-ceiling glass. There is absolutely no privacy if there are people on the balcony or nosy neighbors looking over the divider. Still, the spa shower with rainfall shower head and massaging jets is one of the best I've ever experienced at sea. The water pressure is fantastic!

DSC_0007_zps158f292b.jpg

DSC_0012_zpsdb521ad1.jpg

I’m also not entirely sure why the toilet needs to have a good view of the shower, but a professional design team certainly thought it was necessary. If I ever happen to meet them, I’ll be sure to ask them to enlighten me!

DSC_0010_zpsa9942022.jpg

I did love this huge, wavy tub though, and it was slightly larger than the more conventional one in 11908. I’m quite tall, but this tub managed to comfortably accommodate me.DSC_0008_zps574ef6f9.jpg

More pics and thoughts to come!

Edited by barnacle_boy

Great pictures! I'm curious of what lens you're shooting with. Wide angle? You've captured the entire room, but without the distortion that a wide angle lens can sometimes give. Did you correct the curve in editing? Great photography!

From a cruise standpoint, thanks so much for the pictures of the aft penthouse. We're considering one for the next year and I've been trying to decide between this layout and the one that has windows in the bedroom. Thanks for your comparison of the two!

Nice pictures. I hear you on the remote. We had the same problem on the BA with the remotes.

Yes, I had the same problem on Breakaway as well. I don't really know if it's the remotes or TVs themselves causing the problem, but it's really annoying.

Great pictures! I'm curious of what lens you're shooting with. Wide angle? You've captured the entire room, but without the distortion that a wide angle lens can sometimes give. Did you correct the curve in editing? Great photography!

From a cruise standpoint, thanks so much for the pictures of the aft penthouse. We're considering one for the next year and I've been trying to decide between this layout and the one that has windows in the bedroom. Thanks for your comparison of the two!

The wide angles were taken with a Nikon D3200 with the cheap, included 18-55mm kit lens. The close ups were taken with the fantastic 35mm f1.8. I shoot in RAW, but mostly to make WB and highlight correction. I don't correct lens distortion, but, when possible, I try to choose my shooting positions carefully to minimize distortion. I'm always looking (or praying!) for straight lines. I violate this rule all the time though to try and get everything in the frame.

I might dig up some of my photos of 11908 after work if I have time. There are several threads here of that suite on Breakaway, and they are identical if you want a good idea of what to expect. I'd definitely recommend the bedroom-near-the-window layout. It's so much nicer to look out onto the balcony from the bed than it is from the tub! The extra door to the balcony from the bedroom is also extremely useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by barnacle_boy

Second Installment: The Balcony

Now, I have a love/hate relationship with the aft balconies on this class of ship. I did the aft once on Breakaway and now twice on Getaway, and I've had major soot problems throughout. I know some of you have claimed otherwise, and I certainly believe you (for reasons I will later demonstrate), but I can only speak for what I've seen with my own eyes.

DSC_6877_zpsc07c5564.jpg

However, that does not keep me from loving the size of these aft balconies. They are absolutely enormous. I definitely spent a huge chunk of my time onboard just watching the world flow gently by. The sunrises and sunsets helped to pass the time.

DSC_6908_zps3b29fafd.jpg

These balconies were built for entertaining fellow passengers. Add in a sunset and some snacks, and you have perfection.

DSC_6902_zps4c62bde0.jpg

Now for the hateful part of this relationship. Soot. Everywhere. Plus the noxious aroma of exhaust fumes. I've sailed on many different ships, but the problem on Breakaway and Getaway is substantially worse and more frequent.

DSC_0897_zps92eac3ce.jpg

Isn't that attractive?

DSC_0950_zps5e76f7ae.jpg

The funnel does an extremely poor job of dispersing soot and exhaust. As you can see here from this night photo I took, the smoke tends to eddy behind the ship. That's quite typical, but the huge arcing downwards back into Spice H2O and the aft balconies is not. The wind was quite calm the night I took this picture, so there's no particular reason why the exhaust should be so forcefully blown back inwards other than the poorly thought out aerodynamics of the ship's design. The eddying also creates a situation in which not all aft balconies are affected equally. Some might get covered in soot while others are almost spotless.

DSC_7058_zps536b05a7.jpg

Edited by barnacle_boy

Great pics. Thanks for sharing.

That's a lot of soot for a deck 9. Most thought they would be protected on 9 from the soot.

Perhaps they need to add a baffle/spoiler somewhere on an upper deck.

That also appears to be some awful large particles. Makes me question the incinerator too.

JMT

whoa, that is a lot of soot. Are most aft balconies prone to soot; or is it just certain class of ships? I wonder if other cruise lines have this problem. I suppose that you have to settle for soot for gorgeous views.

Great pics. Thanks for sharing.

That's a lot of soot for a deck 9. Most thought they would be protected on 9 from the soot.

Perhaps they need to add a baffle/spoiler somewhere on an upper deck.

That also appears to be some awful large particles. Makes me question the incinerator too.

JMT

Yeah, the eddying process behind the ship tends to deliver the soot and exhaust to highly specific areas. That's why there's such a divide here on CC about those who've had aft balconies. My balcony on Deck 9 might be covered in soot, but someone on Deck 14 might have no soot.

There's so much "stuff" (slides, ropes course, basketball court netting) surrounding the funnel disrupting the airflow that I doubt simple solutions on other ships would be able to be applied here. The funnel itself is also extremely small and short, which I'm sure doesn't help matters.

DSC_0315_zpseb1d08f6.jpg

whoa, that is a lot of soot. Are most aft balconies prone to soot; or is it just certain class of ships? I wonder if other cruise lines have this problem. I suppose that you have to settle for soot for gorgeous views.

I've sailed on quite a few ships with aft balconies and it's common to see some soot on an occasional basis. However, in my experience, the Breakaway Class is noticeably worse than, for example, the Jewel Class.

And, yes, this is a problem that other ships and lines struggle with. Princess's new Royal Princess is just as bad, if not worse, than Breakaway in terms of soot on the aft balconies. See here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1927914

Honestly, it's not that much of a problem. A little soot and exhaust fumes do little to detract from the massive balcony or the spectacular views that you'll see from it. Just be sure that you're not wearing something that could be easily stained while you're out there :p

Edited by barnacle_boy

NCL Sun has hit or miss soot on the aft. Not as bad as shown here on BA from our experience, not even close.

The Haven area is more or less identical to the one on Breakaway, at least on the inside. There’s the Concierge Desk located near the entrance. There’s almost always someone there throughout the day to help to care of your needs. Service is typically outstanding. You’re in very good hands with NCL!

DSC_7460_zps301032df.jpg

Just around the corner from the Concierge Desk is the bar. I did notice that their selection of premium brands was a bit more extensive than some other bars elsewhere on the ship. There’s no better place to get a scotch!

DSC_7431_zpsc6fbde1d.jpg

Forward of the bar is the lounge, with an ample number chairs and tables. This was a really great place to sit down and enjoy some quiet time or a chat before dinner. The seating is very comfortable too! You just sink into these armchairs. If you walk down the corridor on the left-side of the bar, you’ll end up in the suite-passenger dining room.

DSC_7447_zps8db7c784.jpg

The Haven Restaurant is one of the best perks of being within the Haven. The service here is fantastic, and closer to the sort of experience you’d find on a much smaller, luxury vessel. The waitstaff do a good job of determining passenger preferences within the first day or so. If you’re more of a traditionalist and believe that good service should be attentive, but not overly familiar, they will eventually pick up on that. If you’re like me and enjoy conversing, and possibly making new friends, amongst the crew, they’ll pick up on that as well. Either way, it’s an incredibly personalized experience that I did not believe could be found on today’s mass-market behemoths.

DSC_9228_zps3029154f.jpg

The food itself is wonderful too. As a bonus, here’s my favorite dinner entrée, the Sonoma Duck Breast. The apples and figs balance the rich, fatty duck very well. Delicious! You also can’t go wrong with the Wild Mushroom Ravioli.

DSC_5533_zpsee464c1d.jpg

So glad you are finally doing a review. Your video of breakaway and your photos are the best I have ever seen. And that says a lot because there are lots of excellent photographers here on cruise critic!

Thanks for sharing. Interesting if you choose to comment on forward penthouse vs aft penthouse minus the balcony (of course that huge aft balcony is a huge draw for that stateroom).

Yes, you can NEVER go wrong with the Wild Mushroom Ravioli. I could not stop eating that stuff. :)

Yeah, the eddying process behind the ship tends to deliver the soot and exhaust to highly specific areas. That's why there's such a divide here on CC about those who've had aft balconies. My balcony on Deck 9 might be covered in soot, but someone on Deck 14 might have no soot.

There's so much "stuff" (slides, ropes course, basketball court netting) surrounding the funnel disrupting the airflow that I doubt simple solutions on other ships would be able to be applied here. The funnel itself is also extremely small and short, which I'm sure doesn't help matters.

DSC_0315_zpseb1d08f6.jpg

The soot "problem" is definitely hit or miss. On the Breakaway we had the aft wrap 9316 and had almost no issue. Certainly nothing like the collection of soot in your photo. :eek:

We have the same cabin booked on the Getaway. So - being a little concerned - was the collection of soot that you posted for the week or did that occur on a single day??

Now I wonder if they were better at keeping it cleaned up on the Breakaway??

The Haven area is more or less identical to the one on Breakaway, at least on the inside. There’s the Concierge Desk located near the entrance. There’s almost always someone there throughout the day to help to care of your needs. Service is typically outstanding. You’re in very good hands with NCL!

DSC_7460_zps301032df.jpg

Just around the corner from the Concierge Desk is the bar. I did notice that their selection of premium brands was a bit more extensive than some other bars elsewhere on the ship. There’s no better place to get a scotch!

DSC_7431_zpsc6fbde1d.jpg

Forward of the bar is the lounge, with an ample number chairs and tables. This was a really great place to sit down and enjoy some quiet time or a chat before dinner. The seating is very comfortable too! You just sink into these armchairs. If you walk down the corridor on the left-side of the bar, you’ll end up in the suite-passenger dining room.

DSC_7447_zps8db7c784.jpg

The Haven Restaurant is one of the best perks of being within the Haven. The service here is fantastic, and closer to the sort of experience you’d find on a much smaller, luxury vessel. The waitstaff do a good job of determining passenger preferences within the first day or so. If you’re more of a traditionalist and believe that good service should be attentive, but not overly familiar, they will eventually pick up on that. If you’re like me and enjoy conversing, and possibly making new friends, amongst the crew, they’ll pick up on that as well. Either way, it’s an incredibly personalized experience that I did not believe could be found on today’s mass-market behemoths.

DSC_9228_zps3029154f.jpg

The food itself is wonderful too. As a bonus, here’s my favorite dinner entrée, the Sonoma Duck Breast. The apples and figs balance the rich, fatty duck very well. Delicious! You also can’t go wrong with the Wild Mushroom Ravioli.

DSC_5533_zpsee464c1d.jpg

EXACTLY!!

The "ship within a ship" experience of the Haven is like none other. The service, food, attention to personal preference and detail is over the top and quite impressive! :D

Edited by happy cruzin

Are all drinks and meals in the haven included in your cruise price?

Meals - breakfast, lunch, dinner - in the Haven restaurant yes. There is also a grill menu for service out in the courtyard for lunch - burgers, etc - that is also included.

Cocktails - no.

So glad you are finally doing a review. Your video of breakaway and your photos are the best I have ever seen. And that says a lot because there are lots of excellent photographers here on cruise critic!

Thanks for sharing. Interesting if you choose to comment on forward penthouse vs aft penthouse minus the balcony (of course that huge aft balcony is a huge draw for that stateroom).

Yes, you can NEVER go wrong with the Wild Mushroom Ravioli. I could not stop eating that stuff. :)

Great thread barnacle-boy and super pix!

David: I posted a review of my ff penthouse on the O boards earlier this week

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2051763