Live from Regatta June 7

pacheco18

[quote name='TERRIER1']Why didn't the parents/grandparents leave the dining venue when they started to act up?[/QUOTE]

Because the parents and grandparents are worse than the kids
I have stories but don't want to post
I overheard them say that regent would not accommodate them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

[quote name='dlouise']There are ways to travel with young children as to not disturb others. We travel with our grandchildren ages 4&5 and have not had any problems what so ever. They have been taught how to act when out in public, and enjoy traveling.

We will have them on the Riviera this winter with the rest of the adult family. They will eat up in the Grill at 6 o'clock with us, and the rest of the family will be free to dine where and when they like.

We will spend our days out in port, give them a swim when we return, and then they will play in their room until dinner.....not disturbing to anyone. We bring lots of movies from home for the evenings after dinner.

Traveling with family makes great memories if done right. All it takes is a little planning and common sense.[/QUOTE]

How does o guarantee that the adults will have common sense?

Once they are on board O will do nothing

I cannot tell you how awful this situation has been, particularly in the Specialties. I do not think the toddlers should be permitted to eat there

One of the reasons we sail Oceania is the fact that they don't provide activities for children. Who wants to spend money on a cruise to have parents that do nothing about their ill behaved children. I do understand the cruises to Alaska have children aboard on Oceania. Yesterday I walked by a mall area that had several outdoor sofas and a father was sitting there with his little girl jumping up and down on the sofa. He ignored her behavior. What is wrong with parents these days?

What I find most disconcerting about these incidents, is where you said O did nothing.:eek:
How can you have this going on, see parents/grandparents that are doing nothing and not take some action for those that are having their meal impacted by these children?!? What am I missing??

[quote name='Ron&Sue']One of the reasons we sail Oceania is the fact that they don't provide activities for children. Who wants to spend money on a cruise to have parents that do nothing about their ill behaved children. I do understand the cruises to Alaska have children aboard on Oceania. Yesterday I walked by a mall area that had several outdoor sofas and a father was sitting there with his little girl jumping up and down on the sofa. He ignored her behavior. What is wrong with parents these days?[/QUOTE]

We were so lucky on the first Alaska cruise of the season. We were told there was one child on board and we never set eyes or ears on it. Go early or late in the season, no kids.

[quote name='pacheco18']

.................I overheard them say that regent would not accommodate them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app[/QUOTE]

We can only wish that O would follow suit and not accommodate them either. Sounds like a nightmare.

It's been my experience here on CC, though, that whenever this subject comes up the stories begin about all the adorable, well behaved children there are whose families shouldn't be penalized for the behavior of others.

But unfortunately the well behaved families (and I include the parents, etc.) are not the ones we remember. And all too often these days the children rule the roost, not the other way around.

[quote name='orchestrapal']We were so lucky on the first Alaska cruise of the season. We were told there was one child on board and we never set eyes or ears on it. Go early or late in the season, no kids.[/quote]

We were on the same cruise and saw the little boy several times....his parents/grandparents had him up at Terrace or out at Waves and he was adorable. They kept him busy and entertained. When they brought him to the lounge for a show/talk/demonstration, they sat in the back so they could leave if he became bored.

He was probably 18 months - 2 years and all we saw were darling smiles and cute waves.

These parents knew where to take the child so EVRYONE could enjoy their cruise and meals.

[quote name='basor']We were on the same cruise and saw the little boy several times....his parents/grandparents had him up at Terrace or out at Waves and he was adorable. They kept him busy and entertained. When they brought him to the lounge for a show/talk/demonstration, they sat in the back so they could leave if he became bored.

He was probably 18 months - 2 years and all we saw were darling smiles and cute waves.

These parents knew where to take the child so EVRYONE could enjoy their cruise and meals.[/quote]

That's an example of why O shouldn't refuse to let any child under 5 sail. We've had a few children on our last 3 Oceania cruises and had no problems.

I do, however, think O has a duty to step in and handle a situation like Pacheco is describing.

CJ

[quote name='cruisingxpert']

I do, however, think O has a duty to step in and handle a situation like Pacheco is describing.

CJ[/QUOTE]

Agree with you. If the grandparents or parents don't like it, let them cruise on Regent in the future :D

Well, apparently they'd have to leave the toddlers at home if they went on Regent, which is what they should have done in the first place on any ship except perhaps Disney.

Anyway, thank you for checking on the putting green. My husband is happy.

[quote name='cruisingxpert']That's an example of why O shouldn't refuse to let any child under 5 sail. We've had a few children on our last 3 Oceania cruises and had no problems.

CJ[/QUOTE]

They will not step in. They will not offend a paying guest

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

[quote name='pacheco18']They will not step in. They will not offend a paying guest

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app[/quote]

Even though they are apparently offending a lot of paying guests by not doing so?? What was that old expression lol - about not being able to do both at the same time.

[quote name='cruisingxpert']Even though they are apparently offending a lot of paying guests by not doing so?? What was that old expression lol - about not being able to do both at the same time.[/QUOTE]

The guests are complainjng to one another or unhappily tolerating the situation. I am going to put in my end of cruise review. I just think there needs to be a minimum age requirement so no one gets offended

[quote name='las313']Just curious. Any cigar smokers on board? If so, where can they smoke on deck? My dh likes to have his will walking around the deck.

Thanks for all the comments. Can't wait to board.[/QUOTE]

Only on deck 9 and he cannot walk around with it. He has to stay in the corner smoking section

We have sailed with Regent when there were 50 or 60 children on board during the holidays, and on off times when there were a handful of children on board. They had a childrens
program night and day, and on the off times the kids were quite well behaved.

I really don't think you can ban children from sailing, but the cruise line has the obligation to make all guests comfortable. They have to step in when other guests are bothered by loud screaming or kids running all over the ship. On one cruise on the Voyager the kids were pushing all the elevator buttons. That only lasted one day, the kids were told to cut it out and all was well on board.

Last summer on the Riviera we had about a dozen kids and there were two brothers that ran all over the ship every afternoon and evening and the parents were fine with their behavior. They were down the hall from us so we heard them and there was nothing we could do.

When we cruise when school is out we expect to have children on board and just hope that their parents or grandparents have them under control. Remember children do not cruise for free on Oceania.

[quote name='dlouise']We have sailed with Regent when there were 50 or 60 children on board during the holidays, and on off times when there were a handful of children on board. They had a childrens
program night and day, and on the off times the kids were quite well behaved.

I really don't think you can ban children from sailing, but the cruise line has the obligation to make all guests comfortable. They have to step in when other guests are bothered by loud screaming or kids running all over the ship. On one cruise on the Voyager the kids were pushing all the elevator buttons. That only lasted one day, the kids were told to cut it out and all was well on board.

Last summer on the Riviera we had about a dozen kids and there were two brothers that ran all over the ship every afternoon and evening and the parents were fine with their behavior. They were down the hall from us so we heard them and there was nothing we could do.

When we cruise when school is out we expect to have children on board and just hope that their parents or grandparents have them under control. Remember children do not cruise for free on Oceania.[/QUOTE]

I believe a cruise line can set a minimum age.

[quote name='pacheco18']I believe a cruise line can set a minimum age.
Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app[/QUOTE]

That may be but it would not necessarily solve the problem. Remember, it's not only toddlers that can "interfere" with your cruising pleasure - they could be young teens.
It would be more effective if the mid/high management could discuss the problem with the parents and if their behavior is not corrected, they can be put off the ship. I have seen it done on a Cunard with misbehaving adults. Edited by Paulchili

[quote name='dlouise']I do believe that all children should have dinner at 6:30 in all the restaurants, and young children should be fed up at the grill only, at that time.[/QUOTE]

Lots of us eat at 6:30 in the specialties. That's when these awful out of control toddlers were there with FOUR adults. Toddlers should not be allowed in the specialties

[quote name='pacheco18']The guests are complainjng to one another or unhappily tolerating the situation. I am going to put in my end of cruise review. I just think there needs to be a minimum age requirement so no one gets offended

I just discussed the issue with john the restaurant manager who seems to be on every sailing I am on lol
He will raise with upper management And I will include in my review
Toddlers should not be in the specialties
Next they will be in la reserve

[quote name='pacheco18']I just discussed the issue with john the restaurant manager who seems to be on every sailing I am on lol

Just raised the issue with gm Giuseppe bagnato. It just gets worse. According to the servers in Toscana those toddlers "destroyed" the area around their table. It was a"mess"

I just came up to horizons to read. Screaming toddlers here too

[quote name='pacheco18']I just discussed the issue with john the restaurant manager who seems to be on every sailing I am on lol

I'm just curious if this is the "John" (if so, actually might be "Jon") that you spoke to (see attachment). If so, please tell him hello from Howard and Ruth, who brought his restaurant crew a big box of baklava when we visited Santorini in 2006. He was the Maitre D at Polo back then but when we ran into him again he had been promoted to restaurant manager.

Is there a little cage up near the putting green like there is on Marina? If so, maybe the toddlers could be put in there to be fed! (Just kidding - but I DO sympathize!) Edited by roothy123

[quote name='pacheco18']Just raised the issue with gm Giuseppe bagnato. It just gets worse. According to the servers in Toscana those toddlers "destroyed" the area around their table. It was a"mess"

I just came up to horizons to read. Screaming toddlers here too

Wow! Same ones, I assume? Maybe they need to visit the doctor. I know toddlers scream, but perhaps there is something more going on. By the way, we have only needed to visit the doctor once, but when we did, we were pleasantly surprised by the attention, care and treatment received - and the bill was more reasonable than it would have been had we gone at home! Edited by roothy123

[quote name='pacheco18']I believe a cruise line can set a minimum age.

P & O (British company) apparently operates 3 "adult only" ships, according to Cruise Critic. Edited by roothy123