CC and ads on the side

Toad

I downloaded Adblock Plus which removes the annoying ads but that "Check Cruise Prices" is still there, but I am getting used to the more narrow layout and the blank white space at the side.;) For those who suggested increasing the text size - I wonder why the people with bad eyesight don't try that instead of using huge fonts themselves. How do they read other posts?:confused:

The ads will disappear if you use ad blockers, except for the "Check Cruise Price" one. That's permanent and won't go away. So the squishing of the thread title/posts column is still there - you just have a more massive white column on the right.

Yes, but it does deal with the issue of having to look at the animated ads and/or accidently clicking on them.

My computer screen is large enough that I can deal with the other issue. The font size doesn't get smaller, just the column width.

On your PC just hold down the control key and press the + key in the number section. That will enlarge your print and therefore enlarge your screen and get rid of the pesky messages.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I use NoScript to scrub everything else. Firefox using AdBlck Plus (no affiliation w/ googke) on my Mac Pro does kill AdWord ad.

Wow! You're serious about your ad blocking! :)

I downloaded Adblock Plus which removes the annoying ads but that "Check Cruise Prices" is still there' date=' but I am getting used to the more narrow layout and the blank white space at the side.;) For those who suggested increasing the text size - I wonder why the people with bad eyesight don't try that instead of using huge fonts themselves. How do they read other posts?:confused:[/quote']

The check cruise price module isn't an ad. It's Cruise Critic code.

I often use two screens for the things I do. I 'turn off mirroring', then drag the offending strip of ads off to the right hand screen, leaving CC in my main screen and then ignore what's happening on the right hand one.

Works great!

I downloaded Adblock Plus which removes the annoying ads but that "Check Cruise Prices" is still there' date=' but I am getting used to the more narrow layout and the blank white space at the side.;) For those who suggested increasing the text size - I wonder why the people with bad eyesight don't try that instead of using huge fonts themselves. How do they read other posts?:confused:[/quote']

That is something I have wondered for years. :)

I agree.

But that does sort of defeat the purpose of paying for advertising. Wonder how the advertisers feel about that ;) (not that I care).

I don't know anyone who looks at the ads on web pages, so I also wonder what the purpose is. However, there must be enough people who do look to make it worth it. It doesn't have to be a large percent - maybe as low as 5% or less.

The CC forum is 3/4 of the screen on my computer and I presume on all. I just totally ignore the right side with the ads and just look at the posts. I don't even notice the ads and couldn't tell you what any of them are. They are wasting their money on me. Doesn't really bother me at all and is better than having to pay for CC.

I bolded your last sentence' date=' as that is exactly the way I feel![/size']

Yes, you can make the screen bigger (thereby forcing the ads off the page), but the problem then is all the screens for everywhere I go (yes I visit other places on the internet besides CC :)) are larger and I have to resize back down for them.
An easy way to restore the default size on many browsers is CTRL + 0 (the zero key).

For all the benefits I reap from using CC ... I don't really mind the non-animated ads. This site can't be cheap to administer.

Animated/flashing ads are really distracting for me.

I keep my laptop text set at 120% - not too big but seems to really help on many, many sites.

I don't know anyone who looks at the ads on web pages, so I also wonder what the purpose is. However, there must be enough people who do look to make it worth it. It doesn't have to be a large percent - maybe as low as 5% or less.

The purpose is revenue. ;)

On your PC just hold down the control key and press the + key in the number section. That will enlarge your print and therefore enlarge your screen and get rid of the pesky messages.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

That worked for me. Thank you.