Drone

Snook

On board the Statendam during the week of May 25th, we were sitting in the Crows Nest when we suddenly spotted a drone hovering right over the ship just about 30 feet from the windows. We were docked at Juneau I believe. I thought it was a little strange but I guess we probably will see that sort of thing more and more in the coming years. It was at about the same level as the bridge.

Edited by Snook

On board the Statendam during the week of May 25th, we were sitting in the Crows Nest when we suddenly spotted a drone hovering right over the ship just about 30 feet from the windows. We were docked at Juneau I believe. I thought it was a little strange but I guess we probably will see that sort of thing more and more in the coming years. It was at about the same level as the bridge.

The Juneau drone ;)

http://www.adn.com/2014/03/30/3400835/ventures-sees-alaska-from-difference.html

This nearly happened by accident in Florida in March of this year: http://www.cnet.com/news/plane-almost-hits-drone-in-mid-air-says-faa/

"The pilot described this drone as looking like a fighter jet in design: "a camouflaged F-4 fixed-wing aircraft that was quite small."

That sounds more like someone flying a radio-controlled model aircraft into restricted airspace, as opposed to a drone

Sounds like a good idea - maybe we could get one set up in Fort Lauderdale to monitor all the ships for the sail-away addicts! Maybe Lou and Dave will order one!:D (We'd have to have sound, though...)

Sound needed for sure or we won't hear the toots and port talk.:):)

Fascinating:) I will not freak out in case we see it hovering above or beside Westerdam while we are there. I may just wave the drone on in to the stateroom to show it off:)

Seriously though John, Thank you for the link. It is a fascinating read to see what they are doing!

Joanie.

You can actually buy drones on ebay for around 500-1,000 dolars. Thanks Copper for the link on the drone up in Juneau, Alaska. I think it could be scary seeing one outside the Crows Nest. You never know whether it be friendly or foe.

$_57.JPG

There was actually an item about it on the news here this morning - it's a film company using it in Alaska.

The FAA has approved the use of it.

That's pretty cool! Any idea what the filming is being done for?

Like others, I really would not want of those hovering around anyplace I might be :eek: