Clothes that shriek TOURIST!

ekkc10753

What screams I'm a tourist is my shoes.. I wear sensible walkers while the agile Italian ladies wear sky high stilettos on cobble stones. :)

Shar

They sure do. We were told before our first tour that white sneakers have American all over them. DH was able to buy other colors for our trips but I have RX shoes that are all white. As someone said, the people going around slowly with cameras in groups led by umbrellas stand out anyway, lol.

I was standing still in the center of the Alitalia check in area at Rome Airport without speaking or walking. I was dressed entirely in clothes I had bought during our travels the last two weeks in Italy and was waiting for DH. An Italian gentleman approached me and spoke in English. I started to laugh and asked how he knew I was at the least an English speaker and probably American. He told me it was my way of standing. Huh? I was always told I have decent posture. He knew just by looking at me all dressed in casual but excellent quality Italian fashions/handbag/shoes.

We locked the keys to a rental in the trunk and were standing at the entrance to the hotel in Munich, waiting for Avis to rescue us. Were chatting with the bell captain, who was an American ex-GI married to a German girl. As cars pulled up, he switched languages with ease to greet the guests. We asked how he knew where they were from. He replied it was both the clothes and the haircuts. Who knew? Haircuts?

We live in modern times; webcams show what people do and wear :D

E.g. http://www.camscape.com/Europe

Yes, and also in these modern times -- with the advent of the internet, YouTube, global movie distribution and more frequent travel, there are fewer (or perhaps I should say more subtle) cultural differences than there once were.

Only a few years ago people on travel boards would advise NOT to wear jeans in Europe if they wanted to avoid standing out as an American.

A couple of years ago I foolishly told my teen-age son (who was staying with a local family in Bratislava for a week) to leave his bright colored Converse shoes at home. Lo and behold when he arrived, that's what all the local teens were also wearing....

We locked the keys to a rental in the trunk and were standing at the entrance to the hotel in Munich, waiting for Avis to rescue us. Were chatting with the bell captain, who was an American ex-GI married to a German girl. As cars pulled up, he switched languages with ease to greet the guests. We asked how he knew where they were from. He replied it was both the clothes and the haircuts. Who knew? Haircuts?

I totally believe "haircuts". I suspect, too, that part of the "clothing" differentiation is in fact the different choices that may be made in regard to accessories.

No one will think I am a local no matter how I dress. I watched a man try to lure customers to his outdoor Brussels restaurant. He correctly approached the Americans in English, the Germans in German, the Italians in Italians, et cetera, et cetera. We are not going to fool anyone.

I think we can all probably pick out tourists in our home cities too. When I go downtown in Vancouver on a summer day it's easy to pick out tourists. They're not dressed for work like the locals in the city would be, not in a rush, taking in their surroundings more, and of course, only tourists wear runners ( or sneakers) downtown;) except the Europeans who wear high quality walking shoes instead. You can often guess where people are from by the way they dress, but who cares. I love seeing visitors enjoying our city.

sppunk- you made my morning, try as i can, I don´t see any red pants around! LOL. Are you by any chance refering to the Bavarin national costume " Lederhos´n" they brownish- beige. LOL- anyone who wears them in dayly buisness stands out as " well " a little " freaky" ! LOL.

They sure do. We were told before our first tour that white sneakers have American all over them. DH was able to buy other colors for our trips but I have RX shoes that are all white. As someone said, the people going around slowly with cameras in groups led by umbrellas stand out anyway, lol.

White sneakers just scream "American" if you ask me! :rolleyes: My son has traveled to many more countries than we have and he says he can always spot the Americans by their shoes. :)

I live on Cape Cod. At this time of year we get MANY, MANY tourists. A large percentage of them are Americans, and yes we too are Americans, BUT it is always easy to spot the tourists, especially in the grocery store. They travel in family groups, block the aisles while trying to figure out where everything is, buy lots of junk food, and are usually sunburned. We love them anyway because they help our economy, so don't worry have fun!

Edited by Toad

It has become just a little silly. A barman in Amsterdam told my sister how he can easily spot Americans who like to wear a Canadian flag pin on their lapel. He said the secret in the trade is that Americans prefer the larger Canadian lapel pins while Canadians generally wear a smaller, more discreet pin. Just an example of how the locals can figure out one from the other.

Why would anyone want to make out they are Canadian if they are American?

I think we can all probably pick out tourists in our home cities too. When I go downtown in Vancouver on a summer day it's easy to pick out tourists. They're not dressed for work like the locals in the city would be, not in a rush, taking in their surroundings more, and of course, only tourists wear runners ( or sneakers) downtown;) except the Europeans who wear high quality walking shoes instead. You can often guess where people are from by the way they dress, but who cares. I love seeing visitors enjoying our city.

Good points! Don't forget the sandals with dark socks! European all the way ;)

There are places in this world where it can be safer to be a Canadian than an American. Sad to say.

Thanks Silverwillow, I was wondering the same thing. I am a novice cruiser but a more seasoned land traveler. I could not imagine trying to appear that I was from another country than my own in places that are percieved "safe" tourist destinations. We should all be proud to represent our country in a friendly respectful fashion.

In Holland, Canadians are treated incredibly well as it was the Canadian Army that arrived first during WWII to liberate them. Also Canada sheltered the royal family for a period during the war.

In Holland, Canadians are treated incredibly well as it was the Canadian Army that arrived first during WWII to liberate them. Also Canada sheltered the royal family for a period during the war.

Plus one of the Dutch princesses, Margriet, was born in Ottawa Civic Hospital, Ottawa, Ontario.

The city of Amsterdam, along with many other Dutch cities in the western part of Holland, was liberated by the 1st Canadian Army in May 1945. My parents experienced it, along with thousands of other Amsterdammers, and were forever grateful to the Canadian soldiers. There is a remembrance ceremony for the fallen every 4th of May, followed by liberation day festivities the next day

Edited by Copper10-8