How To Read The Itinerary

LoveDMB

When you're reading an itinerary and it says, for instance, that you're in port from 6am to 3 pm, is 3pm the time the ship leaves, or is that all aboard time? I'm just trying to get a general idea how long we'd actually have in each port. Sorry if it's a dumb question, but as this is our first cruise, I don't want to think that we have more time then we actually do, and be able to plan accordingly. Thanks for any info you have on this!

The times given are arrival and departure times. Once the ship arrives, the gangway has to be deployed and it has to be cleared by the local port authorities. To get the time when you can go ashore, look at the Princess tour schedule to see what time the first depart.

All aboard is half an hour before sailing time. It takes time for the gangway to be brought onboard and the lines thrown. The all aboard time is when you should be on the ship, not at the dock. Experienced cruisers allow at least another half an hour in case there are delays. The ship can and will sail without you.

The above is for when the ship is docked. If it's a tender port, allow at least another half an hour (an hour before sailing plus a half hour cushion.) The reason is that it takes longer for the ship to break down the shore landing area and the tender platform on the ship , not to mention raising the tenders back onto the ship.

When you're reading an itinerary and it says, for instance, that you're in port from 6am to 3 pm, is 3pm the time the ship leaves, or is that all aboard time? I'm just trying to get a general idea how long we'd actually have in each port. Sorry if it's a dumb question, but as this is our first cruise, I don't want to think that we have more time then we actually do, and be able to plan accordingly. Thanks for any info you have on this!

No such thing as a dumb question. only dumb answers.

We always get back to the ship one hour before the ship is scheduled to depart. You don't want to be running to the ship while they are pulling up the gang plank.:eek::eek:

Thanks for the replies. So I guess to avoid any issues, it's best to take out 2 1/2 hours (One to get off the ship & 1 1/2 to get back on) off port times, when planning the day out. My biggest fear is the ship leaving without us.

I always like to plan to be back on the ship at least an hour before it sails. Be sure to check as to whether your ship's time matches local time as well. Most of the time, Princess ships do. Occasionally, however, there are instances where the ship will be either an hour ahead or an hour behind local time. This happened to us most recently in Costa Rica on the Island Princess. The ship was an hour ahead of local time. The local guide we had arranged to meet was not there. Fortunately, someone local knew him and was able to call him and he was there in a few minutes. We also had a long time in port and did not have to rush through our planned activities.

WOW! I didn't know about this ship time thing. Thank you to everyone who posted info on that! That could be all bad!

Each night you will have the daily platters (listing of activities on board and important information regarding your port) for the next day delivered to your stateroom. They will always make mention of any time changes on board and usually mention if the ship time and local time are different. Depending on your itinerary you could be sailing in and out of different time zones.

I usually keep my phone on my hometown time zone and bring an addition watch that I adjust to ships time as needed. The watch I use is one that backpackers use, it has a D clip so I can attach it to my beach bag or put it in my purse.

backpack_watch.jpg.dbcdae779e587a8dfca3005ed40344fb.jpg

3pm is the time the ship leaves. You will need to be back on board by 2:30pm

Each night you will have the daily platters (listing of activities on board and important information regarding your port) for the next day delivered to your stateroom. They will always make mention of any time changes on board and usually mention if the ship time and local time are different. Depending on your itinerary you could be sailing in and out of different time zones.

I usually keep my phone on my hometown time zone and bring an addition watch that I adjust to ships time as needed. The watch I use is one that backpackers use, it has a D clip so I can attach it to my beach bag or put it in my purse.

And if there is going to be a time change, you cabin steward will leave a card on the bed noting this change.:)

GREAT idea!!!:D Thanks for the tip. We'll do that for sure. We live on the West Coast & are doing an Alaskan cruise. So hopefully there won't be too many, if any, time changes. It's almost a year out, but it's so exciting to plan & research!

Thanks for the replies. So I guess to avoid any issues, it's best to take out 2 1/2 hours (One to get off the ship & 1 1/2 to get back on) off port times, when planning the day out. My biggest fear is the ship leaving without us.
Generally speaking, you don't need to plan for an hour to get off the ship. An exception would be if you are being tendered into port. Otherwise I've found that most of the time passengers are getting off the ship very close to the scheduled arrival time. Of course there can be exceptions. If the ship is delayed getting to port, or if the ship clearing formalities take longer than usual. But in my experience, in most cases if it says you arrive at port at 7AM, I'm usually off the ship no later than 7:15AM.

Here's a tip that I use when I want to get off as quickly as possible. Have a quick breakfast before the ship docks. Then head outside on Promenade Deck 7 midship and watch the proceedings at the dock. When you see passengers getting off the ship, you know it's cleared. Head down the stairs and off the ship. Some people will hang out on the stairs waiting. I don't think that's necessary. Waiting on Promenade Deck is much nicer, and almost as fast. The Bridge will make an announcement when the ship is cleared, but sometimes I'm already off the ship before they make that announcement.

Always take a copy of that day's Patter with you. It states the time to be back on board as well as the contact info for the port agent (just in case you run into any problems).

I've seen suggestions about taking a photo of the gangway sign, but then you'll need to be able to find that photo and if you're like me, you're not always at the start of your memory card. Or if your camera stops working (batteries, etc.), you can't refer to that photo. I like having that piece of paper tucked safely inside my purse.

GREAT idea!!!:D Thanks for the tip. We'll do that for sure. We live on the West Coast & are doing an Alaskan cruise. So hopefully there won't be too many, if any, time changes. It's almost a year out, but it's so exciting to plan & research!

An Alaskan cruise is on my bucket list but with all the excursions my husband and I want to do we are going to have to save a lot of money before we can go on one. I think our excursions might end up costing more than the cruise...LOL. My husband really wants to do the helicopter to a glacier with dog sledding and I really want to do whale watching and bear watching.

I find half the fun is the planning and researching. :D

Please don't think you have to take 2 1/2 hours of your port day!! In our experience the ship is generally cleared for passengers to leave the ship right at the appointed time or within 15 minutes of that time. In many instances clearance has even been announced before the designated time. We have never had any problem getting off the ship promptly even with tender ports if we plan properly and make sure we are ready to walk off the ship as soon as the all clear is called. With tender ports if you want to get off first thing, you can usually report to the area where they are handing out tender tickets early and be ready with ticket in hand as soon as they start tendering passengers ashore.

As far as returning to the ship, the reason the all aboard time is 30 minutes prior to scheduled departure is to make sure that they have time to get everyone onboard. As long as you are at your ship at least 30 minutes before the scheduled sailing time you will be fine, even if there is a line to board.

So try not to worry so much. Just make sure you are aligned with the ship's time and ready to get off right away if you have a full day planned. And allow yourself the time you need to get back by the all aboard time and you will be fine!

Edited by karatemom2

Also, please be advised that if you take a Ship-Sponsored Excursion and there are delays that cause you to arrive after the ship's scheduled departure time, the ship HAS to wait for you. :)

If you tour independently, and you are delayed in your return time, the ship DOES NOT have to wait for you . . . and they won't. :eek:

Enjoy your first cruise. We were instantly addicted. In fact. we were planning our second cruise before our first one ended!

Also, please be advised that if you take a Ship-Sponsored Excursion and there are delays that cause you to arrive after the ship's scheduled departure time, the ship HAS to wait for you. :)
Not quite accurate. There are times when the ship must sail whether a ship's excursion is back or not. Princess will make arrangements, including hotel, meals and transportation, to get you to the next port. It doesn't happen often but it does happen. I've been on a couple of cruises when this happened although I wasn't on the delayed tours.

If you are on a ship's tour, they will not sail without you. Our tour in the Panama Canal got back 2 1/2 to 3 hours past when the ship was due to sail. Of course, they kept calling to get an ETA from the tour group.