Summary of Collective Wisdom: Best Under $10

mlkmnsgrl

Hello repeat and budget Alaska cruise experts! Below I'm listing a bunch of the ports that are frequented. I need help coming up with the top 3 or 4 things to do in each port that cost about $10 or less. Obviously, window shopping is a given unless there are any specific stores that are especially fun to visit.

We just arrived at my parent's house out of state and Murphy's Law has struck! A walk in clinic and very expensive prescription later, we have canceled all of our excursions and need to rethink the whole trip. Figured might as well compile a list for other ports as well so everyone benefits from our bummer. :o

Anchorage

Walking tours by the Anchorage Alaska Center at federal building

View of McKinley from JCPenney parking garage on clear day

Free (tips) walking tour departing from the Balto statue

Whittier

Prince William Sound Museum ($3pp) inside Anchor Inn Hotel

Seward

Icy Strait Point/Hoonah

Shuttle or walk to Hoonah

Huna Tribal Carving Project in blue warehouse

Cannery museum

Wave polished glass hunting on the rock beaches

Sitka

Juneau

MGT shuttle one way to Mendenhall, bus back

Visitor Center at the Glacier

St Nicholas Russian Orthodox

Cathedral of the Nativity

Juneau Douglas City Museum?

Skagway

Jewell Gardens ($12.50/pp)

Klondike Gold rush museum

Haines

Ketchikan

Married Man Trail

Creek Street

Salmon shuttle bus around town

Bus to Totem Bight State Park

Vancouver

Stanley Park

Ride the Sky Train

Victoria

Seattle

Pier 66 (49?...mixing up San Fran, I think)

OK, this is from pre-cruise research rather than experience as we will be on our first Alaskan cruise next week. You don't have anything listed for Haines, so here goes:

My notes for Haines:

Haines, Alaska

http://www.alaska.org/destination/haines

Start off at the Visitor's Center on Second Avenue. The friendly staff can answer questions and give you handouts like "Haines is for Hikers," "Ft. Seward Walking Tour," and "Chilkat Valley Bird Checklist." Then visit the Sheldon Museum, the Hammer Museum, and Tsirku Canning Company. A short walk down the hill takes you to the Haines harbor, where you can sometimes buy salmon, halibut, and crab fresh from the fisherman or arrange a fishing charter.

Looking for breakfast? Try the Bamboo Room, Chilkat Bakery, or Mountain Market (which has the best coffee in town).

From <http://www.alaska.org/detail/downtown-haines>

American Bald Eagle Foundation

The American Bald Eagle Foundation is a Natural History Museum and Live Raptor Center, with Live Bird Presentations.

Just 2 blocks from the center of town, the American Bald Eagle Foundation is a must-see for visitors and locals alike.We are within walking distance from the Cruise ship docks. *With frequent diorama presentations,and Live Raptor demonstrations, which**include 2 Bald Eagles, 4 Owls, 2 Redtailed hawks, Raven, a Eurasian Eagle Owl and 2 Falcons,There is no better way to learn about the area's natural balance. Watch our Eagle Feedings at 10:30 in our Master Eagle Mew*Mon.-Fri. Admission prices $10.00 Adults, $8.00 for Srs. $5.00 Children 8-17 *Under 8 Free! *We are a Blue Star Museum which offers Free admission to our Military with ID!

From <http://baldeagles.org/home>

The Sheldon Museum is the museum of the Chilkat Valley. Experience the art and culture of the Tlingit people. Re-live pioneer days, explore the gold rush, the Dalton Trail and life at Fort William H. Seward. The museum store has a large selection of local and Alaskan books and art. Accredited by the American Association of Museums.

Mon-Fri: 10am-5pm*

Admission -$5, Children under 12 free

http://www.sheldonmuseum.org/

From <http://www.alaska.org/detail/sheldon-museum-and-cultural-center>

Alaska Indian Arts

Totem carving, silkscreen and silver carving with Native artists, Tlingit artifacts, rare book collection. Products for sale include carvings, silkscreens and books.

Mo-Fr, 9am-5pm

$2 per person for large tours, otherwise free

From <http://www.alaska.org/detail/alaska-indian-arts>

http://www.alaskaindianarts.com/

Fort Seward

Just a 10-minute walk from downtown along the waterfront, this fort was built by the U.S. Army starting in 1902, then purchased by Army veterans in 1947. The former hospital building has been transformed into Alaska Indian Arts, where totem poles, masks, and jewelry are created in the Tlingit style. Meet the artists and "see what's going on at the AIA."

There are four excellent restaurants, including Mosey's Mexican Cantina, the Fireweed (great pizza), and Portage Street Cafe. The Fort is the most scenic and historic part of Haines, and many visitors choose to stay here.

From <http://www.alaska.org/detail/fort-william-h.-seward>

Hiking - Battery Point Trail

This popular trail offers an easy jaunt out to a pebble beach—the first half of the mile-long path is even paved. Travelers, locals, and guide companies all enjoy the walk so you won’t find solitude here unless it’s a stormy day. But hiking the trail is a great way to check out the forest and enjoy the water, where you may see surf scoters, seals, sea lions, and humpback whales, especially in May and June. So bring some binoculars and a camera, a snack for the beach, and maybe a swimsuit and towel—if you’re willing to brave the cold for a polar bear plunge. It’s the closest, easiest hike around.

Directions: Follow Beach Road from town (it’s the waterfront street that passes the cruise ship dock). After one mile, it veers uphill to the right and turns to dirt. Follow it for another mile to the parking area and trailhead.

From <http://www.alaska.org/detail/battery-point>

Printable map of Haines:

http://hainesak.com/pics/citymap.gif

Hope that helps!

I would probably add to the list:

The Skagway Shuttle

The Ketchikan free downtown shuttle

The National Park display and lectures (downtown Skagway)

The Skagway Museum

The Alaska State Museum in Juneau

The Alaska State Museum is closed this year for construction. I think the salmon bus I mentioned is the free shuttle in Ketchikan. Missed the Skagway museum in my research!

The Alaska State Museum in Juneau

Just a quick note -- the Alaska State Museum (ASM) is in the process of moving into the new SLAM facility (State Library, Archives and Museum). The ASM closed this past spring and the projected re-opening is expected in the spring of 2016 (yes folks -twothousandandsixteen). The entire move is quite the process and is of great interest to museum professions in the Pacific Northwest, with archivists and collection managers from throughout the state helping in two week stints.

But another addition to the list for the OP -- the Ketchikan Totem Heritage Center.

There is also a free museum at the back of one of the shops on the west side of Broadway.

At 5th, I think, and worthwhile.

You can also find on-line walking tours of Skagway. Ketchikan has them on line and also at the visitor's center near the pier.

Oh, and after you go through Totem Bight, if you have some time before the bus comes back, try going next door to Potlatch Park. It's not obvious from the road, but if instead of turning in between those first two totems to Totem Bight you had kept walking from the bus stop, you'd find it.

Edited by Saving Up To Be Eccentric

In Ketchikan on Creek Street, you can take the funicular (a cable car) up the hill at the Cape Fox Lodge. $2 R/T. When you get to the top, you are free to walk around. The Cape Fox Lodge is really pretty. The lobby has a huge window that looks down over the harbor and there are big cushioned chairs to sit in. If you go outside into the courtyard there is a small totem park and the scenic mountains make a nice background for some pictures.

Thecwalking tour you get from the visitor's center is easy to follow and takes you a few streets away from where all the shops are. Younwalk along the babbling creek and to a city park where there are ponds and fountains and benches. Also, lots of people were picnicking at tables.

Just a quick note -- the Alaska State Museum (ASM) is in the process of moving into the new SLAM facility (State Library, Archives and Museum). The ASM closed this past spring and the projected re-opening is expected in the spring of 2016 (yes folks -twothousandandsixteen). The entire move is quite the process and is of great interest to museum professions in the Pacific Northwest, with archivists and collection managers from throughout the state helping in two week stints.

But another addition to the list for the OP -- the Ketchikan Totem Heritage Center.

Thanks for the update. Then perhaps the Juneau Museum could be added which is not as good as the ASM but they show an excellent video on the history of Juneau. A great view out over Juneau can be had from the viewing deck of the State Office building.

RESOURCES !

- borrow some Alaska travel books from your library. Most books have information on DIY activities that are free or low cost.

- most towns have a web site to support tourism and local vendors in their community. Google any towns name followed by Visitor Information or Chamber of Commerce. You'll find info on activities, trails, public transit, museums, things to do, etc. Often times they will even send you a free visitor guide. ie http://www.skagway.com

- the MILEPOST. by Kris Valencia. Although this book is geared towards driving around Alaska, there is lots of detailed information on towns, local scenic roads, common places to see wildlife, activities, etc. There's even a section for the Inside Passage and cruising. Borrow from your library, or make copies of the pages you need, or buy a used edition on amazon for under $10.

- there is so much information on-line. Sites like alaska.org, or alaska101.com Google is your friend.

- tripadvisor.com. There's an Alaska forum plus you can drill down into each community. There's usually an FAQ section for each community.

- read trip reports on cruisecritic and tripadvisor for great suggestions

Edited by mapleleaves

Seattle, yes I think you are mixing with SF... try Pike Place Market, Chihuly Garden (not sure of price). Tripadvisor definitely will help you with this one.

Not sure if this is part of the Gold Rush Museum but in Skagway there is a cemetery from gold rush days that looks really interesting. http://www.nps.gov/klgo/planyourvisit/shorterdayhikes.htm

thanks for this thread bc I am doing this trip in August and am appalled at the prices for the excursions. there are 3 of us and I can't spend $450 per day doing stuff!

Edited by SparkleBee

Seattle, yes I think you are mixing with SF...

Seattle has Pier 66 which is downtown on the waterfront, and Pier 91 which is about 5-6 miles north of town in an industrial type area.

http://www.portseattle.org

Not sure if this is part of the Gold Rush Museum but in Skagway there is a cemetery with from gold rush days that look really interesting.

The National Park Service also has the Yukon Goldrush Museum in Seattle at Pioneer Square. free

Edited by mapleleaves

Vancouver:

Granville Island (cheap ferry ticket)

Christ Church Cathedral (stained glass etc)

Canada Place

Art Gallery (free)

Visit the Fairmont Hotels (there are three)

MacMillan observatory public viewings of the stars sat night oct - July and the rest of the observatory entry by donation

Capilano Salmon hatchery (free)

Richmond night markets (Chinese food)

Dr Sun Yat-Sen Park (free) which is opposite

Dr Sun Yat-Sen Gardens ($10)

BC golf museum (free)

Lynn Canyon Museum (free)

Lynn Canyon

Juneau

Ted Stephens Marine Research Centre free tours by the NOOA Fisheries Dept

Spot Bald Eagles

Self guided walking tour of historic Juneau (map and guide from visitor centre)

shrine of Saint Therese

Mendenhall glacier has free ranger talks - make sure you catch one

Alaska state museum ($5 in summer $3 in winter)

Skagway

Red Onion Saloon - hotel with historic museum used to be a brothel

Are these just free and inexpensive ideas or recommendations? I would be very interested in reading a little review with each of them. In several ports I have a few hours post excursion and it would be good to know which places are more worthwhile than the others.

Vancouver:

• Walk from Canada Place along the water's edge to Stanley Park to enjoy the beautiful modern architecture. Before you begin, walk around the outside of Canada Place.
  • I also like the mini-ferry cruising over to Granville Island; you can waste a lot of time on Granville Island. Definitely walk through the Public Market, where you can find somewhat inexpensive eats.
  • Take the Sea Bus over to North Vancouver for a great view of Vancouver. There's a public market there, and just inside you can buy an ice cream cone.
  • Walking anywhere in Vancouver is cool (it's my favorite city to visit).

Juneau:

• Walk through town to the State Capitol Building.
  • While at the Mendenhall Glacier, hike the Nugget Creek Falls Trail to the Falls.

Ketchikan:

• After you take the funicular up to the Cape Fox Lodge, walk back down a really pretty trail (to the left outside the Lodge) to the bottom of the hill.

You can have a really good time without spending a fortune.

We're leaving for Alaska in two weeks (yay!) and don't have any excursions planned at this point either (and aren't planning on booking any)!

Most of what I've found others have already mentioned so I thought I'd chime in for Victoria.

Right at the Terminal is a couple km long walkway (along Dallas Rd) which is lovely. If you head East you can walk about a km and a half to Beacon Hill Park which is a beautiful park and has a petting farm ($2 donation, I think). I recommend springing for an ice cream at the Beacon Drive-In, I don't know what's in the vanilla soft serve (might be real cream, who knows) but it's so good! You can go West and walk (or ride the free? shuttle) to Fisherman's Wharf to look at the float homes and watch the float planes take off and land at the inner harbour. The Shuttle takes you up to the "downtown" core on Government Street. You can wander through The Empress Hotel, and if you're in on a weekday the BC Legislature buildings have free tours. The Royal BC Museum is right across the street and is a little more than $10pp but so worth it.

Have a great trip!

We didn't book an excursion in Sitka on our last Alaskan cruise. We walked to St. Michael's Cathedral and then over to Totem Park. It is a very walkable city and we enjoyed exploring the city on our own.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App