First Time Azamara "Journey" for Celebrity Veteran

librarylady19

Sandi,

I hope you don't mind my input but here is the Silhouette and Journey in Santorini....you can definitely see the comparison of the size. She was there the same day we were last year on the Silhouette.

1343.jpg

Great photo.....look at that comparison.....it is like MAMA SHIP

and baby ship;)

Some one might have asked, so I apologize up front. Can you tell me if all drinks are included. It sounded like you had to purchase drink package. Could you describe what they offer.

Love your review so far, thanks for taking your time to do this for all those die hard cruise fans out there.

Norma

We didn't make any reservations for a set time...we would just walk into the MDR and ask for a table for 2....we usually were seated right away and we usually ate around 7:30.

The reply about making reservations was in response to a specific query about the specialty restaurants.

Some one might have asked, so I apologize up front. Can you tell me if all drinks are included. It sounded like you had to purchase drink package. Could you describe what they offer.

Love your review so far, thanks for taking your time to do this for all those die hard cruise fans out there.

Norma

Not all drinks are included, something that has raised the ire of many Azamara cruisers (are you out there Tim?). As many of you know, I like to do my research, so I was well aware of the limitations of the included drinks which is why we opted for the liquor package at $12.95 per day. DH is a homebrewer and a proud beer snob. He might have drank the included beers if he was stuck in a dessert without any liquids, but otherwise no Miller or Bud for him!!! they did have several beers he liked in the package (the beer package is $11.95 per day but for $1.00 more liquor is included). I have a list of the drinks included in the package and will scan it tomorrow. Will also ask DH for more beer details - I know he'll rememberer what they had. They did have 2 ciders included too, which I enjoyed.

Deirdre has written a well reasoned post about the limitations and confusion of the current packages that you can find here in the Azamara board also.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2048895

Edited by librarylady19

As I mentioned, somehow we forgot to take pictures of the Windows Cafe, but I'm sure you can find them. The most distinguishing feature of this buffet was the service. As others have mentioned, there are waiters and waitresses always ready to carry your food to the table (handy if you take too much!!), bring you drinks and refill your wine glass (of the included wine choices poured at lunch and dinner). This definitely elevates it above a "regular" buffet in terms of service. The food overall was quite good too. We ate breakfast there most mornings and they featured an omelette station, lots of cooked meats (bacon, sausage, etc) cold cuts, pastries (which didn't measure up to the famed almond croissants on Celebrity), etc., etc. More on other food choices as our journey continues....

Here are a couple of photos of the outdoor seating which could be used for either the Pool Grille or the Windows Cafe.

P1080084.jpg

I didn't try the Pool Grill but they seemed to have a greater variety of offerings than I've seen at the Mast Bar on Celebrity. Did they have self serve icecream? Can't say I recall seeing it....

P1080082.jpg

As promised, the announcement that the cabins were ready came at 1:30 p.m. Off we went to see our cabin, a guarantee V3, forward on Deck 7 (7019). Here is our first view of the cabin:

P1080150.jpg

Now, as many of you know, I am a big fan of the Aqua class cabins on Celebrity, so that is my "gold standard."

This cabin certainly had a lot of storage for its size (comparable to the storage on M class ships I would say). Definitely more than S class ships, but I have never been bothered by the storage and have brought my own shoe hangers and collapsible cubes.

The bathroom (more on that momentarily), was to the left as you walked in the cabin, the closet, etc. on the right.

There were ample hangers for clothes and a shelf too.

P1080163.jpg

There were also several drawers, shelves and more hanging space..

P1080161.jpg

We had packed somewhat conservatively (on a Caribbean cruise I would bring a suitcase of shoes and at least 1-1/2 more of my clothes!!) but was warned about lugging suitcases through train stations in Italy, so I limited myself to 6 or 7 pairs of shoes and brought a lot less dresses than I would for a Caribbean itinerary. DH really liked not having formal nights and the more relaxed dress code. He didn't even bring any ties and jackets (he wore dress pants and either dress shirts or cuban style shirts at dinner). I did bring 3 of my less dressy dresses but also felt comfortable wearing ankle pants and a sleveless top for dinners. I do enjoy dressing up but I wouldn't say I missed formal night (especially with the luggage restrictions of a European cruise).

This cabinet housed the mini fridge and the safe. The water pictured here was included but not the wine.

P1080156.jpg

The fridge really didn't keep things too cold...which seems pretty standard for cruise ship fridges in my experience. Even the water wasn't very cold, so I added ice. Since we didn't bring any beverages on board, we didn't really care.

Here's a view of the cabin from the balcony. Our navy Azamara tote bag was on the bed - its a nice size with a zipper and features the Azamara logo (unlike Celebrity's nondescript bag). I'll take a photo of it and post tomorrow.

P1080153.jpg

Edited by librarylady19

The bed was a nice size flanked by 2 proper night stands and very comfortable. There was also a loveseat, a small table with the fruit basket (replenished daily) and a desk area with additional storage and a small fresh flower arrangement. We did not receive our complimentary bubbly, but a call to Guest Services resulted in it arriving, properly chilled in an ice bucket with champagne glasses, the next day. (I actually didn't call about it until day 2, just thought they may have done away with that perk; our friends in the next cabin - also discoverer level - had received a bottle ).

P1080152.jpg

You can see that there are several outlets on the desk, both US and European or UK. We brought along a converter so we were all set!

P1080151.jpg

The balcony was similar in size to our first balcony cabin on Century. However, the space was less useable as the table was so large that it dominated the space, and the chairs didn't recline. It was great for dining al fresco but I really missed the loungers and a more spacious balcony. You could put your feet up on the railing, barely, but it was not very comfortable and the railing inhibited the view.

P1080154.jpg

Edited by librarylady19

I have to say, I almost dreaded looking at the bathroom after all I had read about them on the Azamara board. Well, the bathroom was definitely very compact. the diminutive space did not come as a surprise as I had read enough reviews to know what to expect. Pluses - the bathroom was spotless and well maintained. There were hooks behind the door as well as a laundry line in the shower.

P1080164.jpg

P1080165.jpg

Everything was very well kept and clean, just not very modern. I took a look at the shower....oh boy, it certainly was small, and I'm only 5'3"! What a let down after the AQ showers with the glass doors and lovely multiple jets. While the water pressure in the shower was good, the unpleasant experience of fighting with the wet shower curtain certainly made this nothing more than a purely functional and necessary routine!! (Yes, I knew about this ahead of time, still doesn't mean I liked it)

P1080167.jpg

The shower head was fairly new I think but the shower stall was an awkward shape.

P1080168.jpg

This may sound odd, but I really enjoyed taking a shower in the Aqua class cabins; the shower stall is fairly generous, the shower panel is fantastic and the doors provide space. After my first encounter with the shower curtain in our Azamara cabin, I understood what everyone was talking about....it was so unpleasant and annoying! I tried to weight it down with a washcloth but even that didn't really help. A real negative in an otherwise very nice cabin. The hairdryer on the wall was one of those dreadful old school models but fortunately there was another handheld one in the room (of course it couldn't be used in the bathroom....no outlet).

Our steward Wayan came by and introduced himself and I asked for extra towels (which were always provided). The cabin service was excellent throughout the cruise. The steward and his attendant were unobtrusive but friendly and seemed to sense when we would be out of the room and we always returned to a lovely, clean room (isn't that one of the nice things about cruising!). Evening turndown was a similar experience. we always returned to a freshly made made with chocolate treats on a little plate awaiting us.

Service was uniformly prompt and efficient, and only slightly better than we have fortunately enjoyed on all our Celebrity cruises, except for one. One difference, our steward and his assistant always greeted us by name whenever we encountered them in the hallways. not something I particularly sought out, but a nice touch. The room was also the quietest cabin we have experienced. we didn't even hear a peep from our friends in the next cabin (and hopefully they would say the same about us!!)

Edited by librarylady19

That is quite a "compact" bathroom. As long as I'm prepared, which I now am, thanks to you Sandi, I will be okay. We are in 7025, so our cabin will be identical.

The curtain thing will drive me nuts, but I will just keep telling myself I'm on a cruise and don't have to clean, cook, worry, go to work...... etc. and make the best of it.

Can 2 people even fit in that bathroom? I'm 5'5" and my husband is 6'2". Think it might be tight!

Edited by TravelBugM

Can 2 people even fit in that bathroom? I'm 5'5" and my husband is 6'2". Think it might be tight!

We did, but it required the same level of "communication" as we need in an Aquaclass bathroom. Must be us, the shower curtain never attacked us!

As regards an earlier post, yes there is a soft scoop icecream machine available all day at the pool grill it is on the wall by windows. Beside it is also a very large iced vat of soda cans so if you do not want to bother a barman and want to pick up a chilled can as you go past, it is not a problem at all

The other comment re Mosaic, there are cakes on offer, only in the afternoon, they are wonderful. Also on the counter is a glass domed plate of minicup cakes. The flavour changes each day and they are very very naughty. I would justify my indulgence by noting how small they were..... (they weren't that small but it helps with your conscience.

That is quite a "compact" bathroom. As long as I'm prepared, which I now am, thanks to you Sandi, I will be okay. We are in 7025, so our cabin will be identical.

The curtain thing will drive me nuts, but I will just keep telling myself I'm on a cruise and don't have to clean, cook, worry, go to work...... etc. and make the best of it.

Depends what you are doing ....2 in the shower, no way....at least we didn't try

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We did, but it required the same level of "communication" as we need in an Aquaclass bathroom. Must be us, the shower curtain never attacked us!

As regards an earlier post, yes there is a soft scoop icecream machine available all day at the pool grill it is on the wall by windows. Beside it is also a very large iced vat of soda cans so if you do not want to bother a barman and want to pick up a chilled can as you go past, it is not a problem at all

The other comment re Mosaic, there are cakes on offer, only in the afternoon, they are wonderful. Also on the counter is a glass domed plate of minicup cakes. The flavour changes each day and they are very very naughty. I would justify my indulgence by noting how small they were..... (they weren't that small but it helps with your conscience.

Thanks for the clarification. I did see the cupcakes, I was referring to the large cakes they have in the case at cafe al Bacio. Don't Know how I missed the ice cream

My DH and I are the same heights as you and yours and we didn't have any shower curtain issues. The trick is to shower sideways with your eyes facing the little window and curtain. Your elbows will not have enough room if you try to shower the traditional way with your face to the shower head! You'll end up with curtain wars like Sandi. The shower stall has more length than width so you have to work with it. At least the water pressure is fine, however.

Sandi! Yes you were very quiet neighbors. ;) I am loving your review.

Our first cruise was on the Journey back in 2009, it was a Med cruise, before they had drinks included, we have done 5 Sclass cruise since then

Noticed the balcony furniture is larger now

Also back then the specialty restaurants was only a five dollar charge

We found it harder to get a lounge chair on sea on the Journey then a S class ship

We did love Journey for Med cruise, found the food to be much better then on Celebrity

I am not sure that I would want to do a TA on this ship, but maybe with the drinks include it would be OK :D

So are you hook on Mediterranean cruises?

Our first cruise was on the Journey back in 2009, it was a Med cruise, before they had drinks included, we have done 5 Sclass cruise since then

Noticed the balcony furniture is larger now

Also back then the specialty restaurants was only a five dollar charge

We found it harder to get a lounge chair on sea on the Journey then a S class ship

We did love Journey for Med cruise, found the food to be much better then on Celebrity

I am not sure that I would want to do a TA on this ship, but maybe with the drinks include it would be OK :D

So are you hook on Mediterranean cruises?

The Med was beautiful but our favorite part of the trip was the time we spent in Florence and the Tuscan hill towns after the cruise. Although the ports were drop dead gorgeous, some of them were too touristy, especially Taormina, which I will explain as I get to the ports.

I know a TA is not in the cards for me, on any ship. 2 weeks was too long to be gone for me, I started to get "twitchy" as Deirdre put it, after a week (I live my job,, most of her time!!). I will limit myself to 10 trips at the most for now.

Edited by librarylady19

I have mention in a post somewhere that anyone can take a shower in the locker room .the showers are bigger and better shower heads. plus you can use the steam room.

i find it interesting the plugs are above the desk on Journey as on Quest they are underr he sesk. .At least in Club Suites.

Also we had older but very nice chairs on balcony but were switch out to these. I find it ahrd to read or enjoy the balcony the same way due to these chairs. yes the table too big but 2 people can enjoy eating out there.

We just contacted our TA and upgraded our room to a Club Continent Suite after seeing these bathroom pics. Way too small and cramped-looking for us. Not that we spend all day in the bathroom, but we're two high-maintanence late 30s guys and need extra space to get ready for dinner lol The rest of the ship looks fantastic. Also, the rooms look really nice - not nearly as outdated as some reviews suggest. Although the decor of the ship is not our taste, it looks like they maintain the ship really well.

Michael

Depends what you are doing ....2 in the shower, no way....at least we didn't try

I was thinking brushing teeth, while I'm doing hair! But now you have me thinking. It would be like the Mile High Club, but at sea!

We just contacted our TA and upgraded our room to a Club Continent Suite after seeing these bathroom pics. Way too small and cramped-looking for us. Not that we spend all day in the bathroom, but we're two high-maintanence late 30s guys and need extra space to get ready for dinner lol The rest of the ship looks fantastic. Also, the rooms look really nice - not nearly as outdated as some reviews suggest. Although the decor of the ship is not our taste, it looks like they maintain the ship really well. Michael

Good call. Not only will you be happy with the extra room, but I think you'll enjoy eating in Prime C and Aqualina. The service is superb.

We just contacted our TA and upgraded our room to a Club Continent Suite after seeing these bathroom pics. Way too small and cramped-looking for us. Not that we spend all day in the bathroom, but we're two high-maintanence late 30s guys and need extra space to get ready for dinner lol The rest of the ship looks fantastic. Also, the rooms look really nice - not nearly as outdated as some reviews suggest. Although the decor of the ship is not our taste, it looks like they maintain the ship really well.

Michael

Yes, I think that I would have liked that better, but the cost was out of my budget! The ship is very well maintained so you should have no concerns on that front. I really liked the cabin and the excellent service but that bathroom really was a bummer.

Edited by librarylady19