First Time Azamara "Journey" for Celebrity Veteran

librarylady19

We were served a large platter of anti pasti, all delicious:

17116F72-114D-4AFB-BAD6-8C73A42C2570.jpg

and bruschetta, with the freshest tomatoes I have tasted.

199AF0F6-EAF9-46D1-B5BB-A4D128E7990D.jpg

The pasta course was served next. These were clearly homemade -cheese ravioli, zucchini pasta, gnocchi and pumpkin ravioli. It was hard to choose a favorite, luckily we didn't have to choose!

097EC8CC-F7D3-47BF-9A5C-5619BBDABE93.jpg

I really liked their plates:

5EF74620-C014-4D25-9053-DBBA4A1FD8F4.jpg

Our next course was the grilled meat platter, a mix of chicken, veal, sausage, steak and more....so good

A6FB4242-DFF5-4F35-A035-57369C9A6FB5.jpg

Here is the chef grilling....

02C479D3-EC8B-4BE4-B276-F35C0FD39396.jpg

Edited by librarylady19

Even though we could have stopped eating at this point, we somehow managed to find room for dessert. Fresh cherries and an assortment of pastries:

239DA9EE-1F41-4F41-A6C7-B8B0E105D979.jpg

ADC5319B-81BF-4B0A-B044-F81395D2E624.jpg

Some very satisfied diners:

DE117DBA-F8C4-495A-AE6E-EFECECD7A65B.jpg

And of course, lunch would not have been complete without an icy shot of limoncello. Perfection!

We'll drink to that:

9DAFA247-7EDC-4C17-87CC-577CDE083F3A.jpg

7733B68E-905D-416E-93A9-3EAFD31A93CC.jpg

Sandinista,

We have visited Malta on a number of occasions but you have experienced 2 firsts:

a) we have never sailed into the harbour in Valetta

B) we have never heard or visited Ħal Saflieni Hypogeum.

Your pictures are making me want to return and I too would like to try Azamara Cruises.

Thank you for your amazing review.

upwarduk,

We are on a Journey sailing on Sept. 27 that leaves Civitavecchia and we will be docking in Malta. It is a beautiful port.

I had posted this before but possibly didn't hit the submit button.

I know there are still openings on that sailing...balconies included.

upwarduk,

We are on a Journey sailing on Sept. 27 that leaves Civitavecchia and we will be docking in Malta. It is a beautiful port.

I had posted this before but possibly didn't hit the submit button.

I know there are still openings on that sailing...balconies included.

Thank you.

I suppose the major drawback is the number of Tender ports.

I try to avoid those, as we had a bad experience getting off Eclipse in Split- it took 3 hrs.

Since then I have become Elite, would the Priority Tendering be one of the perks that transfers?

Sandi, we also spoke with the Dutch couple. Everyone was very confused waiting for the bus. Apparently the bus we missed wasn't going to Taormina, but another one soon came and we bought our tickets from the driver. We couldn't take the taxi, as I had left most of our money on the ship, so we had 20 Euros and therefore experienced a visit on a tight budget. Actually Rosy spent all of our money on an elasticated bandage!

We also got soaked by the rains and we also visited the gardens, as we did the previous time in hot sunny conditions.

Alas Rosy slipped and fell on a slippery metal slope and twisted her knee, so this ruined our day and a plans for a long hike in Sorrento, the following day. We caught the bus down, but again there was confusion as to which stop was best for the port. There appeared to be some ship's crew onboard, so I said to Rosy we should stay on, but we chickened out when the bus appeared to be going further away.

Thank you.

I try to avoid those, as we had a bad experience getting off Eclipse in Split- it took 3 hrs.

Since then I have become Elite, would the Priority Tendering be one of the perks that transfers?

There is no priority tendering on Azamara because it is not needed.

However we rarely take tours and so usually choose to get off the ship at about 10.00am. We just wander down to the tender embarkation point on deck 3 and get on the first available boat.

If you wanted to get off earlier there may be a short wait but as Azamara only has 700 passengers in total this should not be troublesome.

There is no priority tendering on Azamara because it is not needed.

However we rarely take tours and so usually choose to get off the ship at about 10.00am. We just wander down to the tender embarkation point on deck 3 and get on the first available boat.

If you wanted to get off earlier there may be a short wait but as Azamara only has 700 passengers in total this should not be troublesome.

That was our experience - tenders ran very efficiently.

Sandi, we also spoke with the Dutch couple. Everyone was very confused waiting for the bus. Apparently the bus we missed wasn't going to Taormina, but another one soon came and we bought our tickets from the driver. We couldn't take the taxi, as I had left most of our money on the ship, so we had 20 Euros and therefore experienced a visit on a tight budget. Actually Rosy spent all of our money on an elasticated bandage!

We also got soaked by the rains and we also visited the gardens, as we did the previous time in hot sunny conditions.

Alas Rosy slipped and fell on a slippery metal slope and twisted her knee, so this ruined our day and a plans for a long hike in Sorrento, the following day. We caught the bus down, but again there was confusion as to which stop was best for the port. There appeared to be some ship's crew onboard, so I said to Rosy we should stay on, but we chickened out when the bus appeared to be going further away.

Oh dear, not a fun day for you and Rosie. I do think there should be free transport into Taormina or, at the very least, better explanation of the tea ports issues and costs on Azamara's part. I would definitely had made alternate plans if I'd known what a hassle it was to get around.

After walking for about half an hour, I started to doubt what I had read about the bus service. Walking all the way up to Taormina didn't sound too appealing to us! We then ran into a large group waiting at - A BUS STOP - including Tim, who told me that yes, they were waiting for the bus to Taormina. Unfortunately, we hadn't had time to get bus tickets from the tobacco shop (wherever that was) before a bus showed up.

Fortunately, an enterprising taxi driver with a van, offered to take a half dozen of the would-be bus passengers to Taormina for 25 euros total - we jumped on that!!

We enjoyed a pleasant conversation with a couple from Amsterdam as we travelled up to Taormina. (Sure glad we opted not to walk, although I understand that Rob and Deirdre did just that!!)

Soon, we were in Taormina which was quite picturesque. The main focus here, it seemed, was on shopping. The main street, the Corso Umberto I, is a very long thoroughfare with shops and restaurants galore.

As you can see, it was quite congested.

Of course we walked! :D Having trekked up to the Rock of Gibraltar on the Mediterranean Steps and through the Valley of the Rocks in Devon (among other places), taking the path up to Taormina was a piece of cake. If memory serves, it took us about two hours or so from the tender point. It's easy enough to stroll along the promenade in the town but I advise caution as you turn off towards the train station. It's a narrow bend of the road with no sidewalks and the drivers are crazy. The train station in Giardini Naxos--once you safely reach it--is exquisite. There are frescoed ceilings and many other architectural details. It's a gem of a place. Walking past the train station you get up into the hills and start on the path which is in pretty good repair, though steep. At the top there is a garden that was the highlight of the day. As Sandi tells, Taormina, though charming in many ways, was wall-to-wall with tourists and tourist shops. This garden at the edge of town, Giardini della Villa Comunale, is at the complete opposite end of the spectrum and proved a serene antithesis to the chaos that is Taormina. Here's a link to some reviews and photos of this lovely garden that overlooks the coast and town of Giardini Naxos below. That garden--and the hike up to it--made our day in Taormina a wonderful thing.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187892-d2049280-r143455645-Giardini_della_Villa_Comunale-Taormina_Province_of_Messina_Sicily.html

Thank you.

I'm not sure but with ACC we never had a problem getting off the ship...it always went relatively quick. We had some early morning excursions also. I know it took longer on X but there were a lot more pax on that ship. I actually prefer the tender ports as opposed to being docked.

Oops...sorry I did not see the other responses until after I posted. :o :o

Edited by midwestchick

Sandi,

What a wonderful restaurant you (or Deirdre) chose for your lunch stop during your Amalfi Coast private tour. I have made a note of the details in the hope that we can sample it too.

And who couldn't enjoy Positano? It is the most exquisite little jewel of a town

During our private tour to the Amalfi Coast, we also dined at La Tagliata. It was a Sunday and our menu varied slightly. Very good food and a delightful visit!

After three trips to the Amalfi Coast, and one cruising drive-by, I am sure that I will one day return to live in Positano for at least a month. :D I stumbled on a fictional book to read, called Finding Positano. It was a fast read, had romance, and very cheesy! The best part was being 'in the moment' and knowing just about every nook and cranny that the book talked about. There is also a bit of history in the book. ;)

http://www.amazon.com/Finding-Positano-A-Love-Story-ebook/dp/B004G092O0

Since reading that book, I have started seeking out historical fiction books that take place where I have visited. So much better to read the books having already been to the towns and cities in which the story line takes place.

Another of my favorites was Midwife in Venice.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Midwife-Venice-Roberta-Rich/dp/1451657471

...and a sequel which I have yet to read. It's called the Harem Midwife. Can you guess where it takes place? I've been there, so will download this book for a good beach read.;)

http://www.amazon.com/The-Harem-Midwife-A-Novel/dp/1476712808/ref=pd_sim_b_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=176AEAHDX4ERXYEVB6MS

Edited by Iamthesea

During our private tour to the Amalfi Coast, we also dined at La Tagliata. It was a Sunday and our menu varied slightly. Very good food and a delightful visit!

After three trips to the Amalfi Coast, and one cruising drive-by, I am sure that I will one day return to live in Positano for at least a month. :D I stumbled on a fictional book to read, called Finding Positano. It was a fast read, had romance, and very cheesy! The best part was being 'in the moment' and knowing just about every nook and cranny that the book talked about. There is also a bit of history in the book. ;)

http://www.amazon.com/Finding-Positano-A-Love-Story-ebook/dp/B004G092O0

Since reading that book, I have started seeking out historical fiction books that take place where I have visited. So much better to read the books having already been to the towns and cities in which the story line takes place.

Another of my favorites was Midwife in Venice.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Midwife-Venice-Roberta-Rich/dp/1451657471

Thanks for posting the books. I like to watch movies, such as Under the Tuscan Sun, Pompeii, etc. I've been looking for an old one, Tea With Mussolini but have not been able to find it.

Thanks for posting the books. I like to watch movies, such as Under the Tuscan Sun, Pompeii, etc. I've been looking for an old one, Tea With Mussolini but have not been able to find it.

We also like movies. :D Tuscan Sun and Corelli's Mandolin (the Captain was a relative) are favorites and we are going to rent the new Pompeii.

After returning from a cruise that included a stop in Berlin, we ordered The Lives of Other's, after a recommendation from a tour guide. It's about the lives before the fall of the Berlin wall. Watching it this weekend. :)

Sandi...didn't mean to get off track. :o Your being a librarian, have probably heard about all these books.

Have you tried your local library?

Ours has it on DVD.

In my 'Live From' report on our Quest cruise in early May I reported extensively about the transport difficulties in G Naxos. There were plenty of taxis on the dockside early in the day and sharing these would have been our choice if we had not had a private tour booked with other CC passengers.

Azamara are not allowed to operate a free shuttle due to the power of the local driver's union.

HOWEVER. charging $49.00 for the ship's shuttle is a total rip-off. I love Azamara but was disgusted with the strong arm tactics they employed to try and get people to pay this.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have started seeking out historical fiction books that take place where I have visited. So much better to read the books having already been to the towns and cities in which the story line takes place.

Totally off-track but The Great Courses has a whole bunch of lecture courses that features many of the places we visit (or should visit)!

Google it and see what they have - or sometimes libraries have it in their DVD collections.

Although we have not yet sailed on Celebrity (only Azamara and Oceania so far), I too am enjoying your photos and comments. Thanks for taking the time and effort to make these lovely posts.

Surprised to read about all the transportation difficulties. When we visited several years ago, there were many taxis available at the dock who charged 24 Euros for up to six people to Taormina (eastern end) and then numerous taxis available at the western end to return you to the port.

Sorry you missed the gorgeous gardens, which also offered great views of Mt. Etna and the sea.

Edited by CintiPam

Sorry for the delay in returning to the review....work responsibilities ....

After our amazing lunch at La Tagliata, we continued on our journey along the Amalfi coast to Ravello. As lunch was more than a two hour affair (and well worth the time!), we knew we wouldn't have too long to spend here, but I had been enchanted by the images I had seen of the views from Villa Rufolo in Ravello and didn't want to miss it if possible.

Nico dropped us at the entrance to town and Scott and I headed to the villa Rufolo while the others explored Ravello separately.

P1080828.jpg

What an incredible place, not only are the views breathtaking but the gardens, and the art therein are wonderful.

P1080782.jpg

P1080785.jpg

P1080788.jpg

P1080793.jpg

IMAG1771.jpg

Edited by librarylady19

There was a temporary sculpture exhibit that was quite interesting and provocative.

IMAG1770.jpg

After admiring the sculptures and the manicured gardens

F5492334-EA5C-44C1-B29F-0064DACF2448.jpg

FC2378CA-BB05-4337-8DB7-24D2079DC52A.jpg

31BFB714-AC81-4C0B-9FC2-504818D26FBC.jpg

we came upon the piece de resistance, the breathtaking views....oh my...there aren't enough adjectives to describe the beauty of this place.

D18CD10E-157B-4A80-969A-F75C2CC26A96.jpg

3AF68873-C40D-41F9-85CF-E5ED97A6494E.jpg

Edited by librarylady19

A couple more pictures....

P1080811.jpg

We could have stayed here enjoying the views and the gardens for much longer, but unfortunately, we only had a short while before we had to head back to our meeting point, so we headed out of the Villa to the main square.

IMAG1775.jpg

Where we admired the Duomo:

IMAG1779.jpg

and I mailed another postcard to my daughter back in Chicago.

IMAG1783.jpg

Edited by librarylady19

After reluctantly departing Ravello, Nico headed back on the long drive back to Sorrento. He knew that we really wanted to see Amalfi also, so despite the late hour (after 5:00 p.m. at this point), he very kindly stopped there so that we could take a few photos. Such a wonderful, considerate driver.

P1080844.jpg

St. Andrew's Cathedral:

P1080843.jpg

No time to climb the stairs:

P1080836.jpg

P1080842.jpg

In the Piazza del Duomo:

P1080841.jpg

We once again enjoyed the amazing Amalfi Coast views as Nico safely drove us back to the cruise port in Sorrento. Although we could have been dropped off in town, it was a long, downhill walk! It was after 6:00 p.m. when we arrived at our destination, thoroughly satisfied with the marvelous day we had enjoyed. I cannot recommend Astarita enough....Nico really took good care of us and the price was very reasonable for 5 people (not sure of the total cost, Deirdre may recall, but it was less than others we had looked at).

For some reason, Scott and I had rescheduled our dinner at Prime C for that evening. We were not exactly hungry after the lunch we consumed, but didn't feel right about cancelling again, and we were curious to try a specialty restaurant on Azamara, especially since this is one of our favorite experiences on Celebrity.

We did dress up a little more than usual that evening, but no jacket and tie were required, to Scott's great relief (didn't pack them!!). First, we stopped at the Sunset Bar to enjoy the views and enjoy a drink:

IMAG1791_1_1.jpg

IMAG1789_1.jpg

IMAG1792.jpg

Up next....dinner at Prime C. Next day, Pompeii (for me at least). Thanks for reading.