Cruise Atlas

casamariposa

Good luck getting one even then. Seattle acts as if they were printed on gold leaf, and is very difficult about sending one out; they always explain those are for TA's.

Which is funny, as by mid-season they are giving them away like pillow chocolates on the ship! There is one delivered to every cabin, and piles of them available at the Future Cruise Consultant's desk.

The current one ends April 2015 -- I doubt if you will a new one out any time soon.

We were on the Nieuw Amsterdam In November -- no Cruise Atlas in the PS. We were also on the Nieuw Amsterdam in March -- no Atlas in the SA.

At the Cruise Consultants desk -- only a couple of copies were on display when she was on duty.

I just requested one thinking there was an updated edition and received the same Atlas that expires April 2015.

I have absolutely no interest on coping with their on line version.

I just requested one thinking there was an updated edition and received the same Atlas that expires April 2015.

I have absolutely no interest on coping with their on line version.

I'm with you, Sail. The Cruise Atlas to me is like the old Sears Wish Book that we looked at before Christmas! Every other cruise company is sending me brochures and expensive books unrequested. My cruise line of choice, HAL, sends nothing! I guess they know they've got me! Most recently, I've been on seven cruises with them over the past seven years, most of them long ones, with two more booked between now and 2015. I'm always looking for new itineraries. Ah, well.....

I'm with you, Sail. The Cruise Atlas to me is like the old Sears Wish Book that we looked at before Christmas! Every other cruise company is sending me brochures and expensive books unrequested. My cruise line of choice, HAL, sends nothing! I guess they know they've got me! Most recently, I've been on seven cruises with them over the past seven years, most of them long ones, with two more booked between now and 2015. I'm always looking for new itineraries. Ah, well.....

I agree with you! Oceana will not stop sending pricey brochures, even though my TA and I have personally asked them to stop. I did get a HAL brochure in the mail, which was a surprise.

I find the "Design Your Vacation" difficult to use if you just want to see what's available....I have been looking for a 2015 Amazon Explorer, with no luck.

Karen

I am like sail7seas -- going through e-brochures doesn't appeal to me. Plus DH never uses a computer -- doesn't even want to stare itineraries on a computer.

He likes to sit and read page by page and be able to quickly go back and forth and mark things that he is interested in.

Many sailings April 2015 through April 2016 now appearing on HAL website, including Jan 2016 Amazon Explorer and Passage to East.

The website isn't at all helpful to those of us who have no idea what cruise we may want to take. If you don't know what's offered, you don't know what to look up on the site.

A brochure, the Planner, or the Atlas put it all out there in an easy to browse fashion.

You can flip pages until something strikes your fancy---which something always does, eventually. ;)

Has anyone on Cruise Critic received a new, updated Cruise Atlas? If not, any word on when it will be released?

The print date of my current HAL Cruise Atlas is July 15, 2013, so I would expect the next edition to be printed and made available this July! ;)

Edited by GeriatricNurse

Good luck getting one even then. Seattle acts as if they were printed on gold leaf, and is very difficult about sending one out; they always explain those are for TA's.

Which is funny, as by mid-season they are giving them away like pillow chocolates on the ship! There is one delivered to every cabin, and piles of them available at the Future Cruise Consultant's desk.

And my local TC has a ton of them for distribution! ;)

Right -- I have noticed that HAL gets the Alaskan brochures out right away.

Of course - right now is when people start seriously thinking Alaska - it is an ideal marketing moment - to fill up ships sailing in the next two to three months: they have a fleet up there now.

They save the big marketing push for the Caribbean for the onset of cold, weather when people realize that they just have to get away.

They realize that people who think ahead - a year or so out - are more capable of finding out what is available on their own, and do not really need as much spoon feeding. I am willing to wager that will be an increasing focus on near-term marketing at the expense of long term.

And my local TC has a ton of them for distribution! ;)

It's easy to get them now. They're old and have been out for many months. The new ones, when published, will likely be difficult, once again, to obtain.

Makes no sense to me we have to beg to find out what they are selling.

Wouldn't it be nice, that as a part of the Mariner program, Cruise Atlas's were sent to 5 Star and even 4 Star Mariners?

It's brilliant marketing, as many of those Mariners are already committed to the product, and are generally looking for the more unusual itineraries, being that many have done the standard itineraries and seek the more exotic, longer cruises.

One can dream! :cool:

Edited by localady

When I am on the phone deciding on a stateroom I want the entire deck plan in front of me. Not the online version that requires me to constantly change decks, wait for them to load, and scroll up and down to see the cabins. Very hard to figure out what is above and below exactly. I know that there are websites with full deck plans but they are outdated since the category shuffle in May.

Wouldn't it be nice, that as a part of the Mariner program, Cruise Atlas's were sent to 5 Star and even 4 Star Mariners?

One can dream! :cool:

Oh, wouldn't it be loverly! ;) Dream on.

We are supposed to get the Cruise Planner as part of the four & five-star benefits. Since the Atlas comes out long before the Planner does, which is to say a long time after the cruises are posted on the website, we should be sent the Atlas exactly for the reasons you gave.

When I am on the phone deciding on a stateroom I want the entire deck plan in front of me. Not the online version that requires me to constantly change decks, wait for them to load, and scroll up and down to see the cabins. Very hard to figure out what is above and below exactly. I know that there are websites with full deck plans but they are outdated since the category shuffle in May.

Me too!