Why Does Carnival Still Print" Fun Times"

hattack

Print the Fun Times... QUIT printing all the millions of sales flyers, shore excursion books and other full sized, ink-heavy papers.

One day, they were laundering all the bed skirts. Each cabin got a full sized sheet of paper with 2 sentences placed on the bed... "Dear Guest, " just in case anyone worried where their bed skirt had disappeared to. Sheesh. If they HAD to leave a note, print them 4 or 6 to a page and cut them apart.

This thread was very entertaining to me since I'm one of the tech nerds getting bashed here. I've got couple of ideas to add to those already expressed:

First of all, the OP is not just some wacky idea. I'm sure there are folks at Carnival already working on it. If not, they are in big trouble. To be honest, I'm not sure if I buy into the whole kiosk Fun Times idea presented in the OP. But regardless of the implementation, there are a lot of really cool things you can do with a "smart" card with RFID chip or similar technology (many of you probably have one of these in your wallet already). Along with apps or local websites, a cruise line could create some very useful tools for its customers.

Furthermore, most of the debate here seems to revolve around the ridiculous idea that an app would completely replace the printed version. It most certainly wouldn't- it would just be another tool people could use if they wanted. (Did they stop making PA announcements because they distribute a printed Fun Times?)

The fact is that the rest of the world is already doing this, and there will come a time where a certain level of tech-savvy is expected on a cruise, just like it is elsewhere. Obviously, from the responses here, we're not there yet. But keep in mind this wouldn't be for YOU. The cruise industry will have to keep up with the next generation of cruisers. So the app wouldn't be for most of the folks on this forum, it would be for your kids. A project like this is not something that can just be whipped up by a company's IT department upon request. This would take years of development and investment. But to stay competitive in the future they need to get started now..

But that said, because of Carnival's place in the industry, I'm guessing they will probably not be the first to launch this sort of thing. Sounds like NCL & Disney are further down this path. But, like it or not, it's coming...

I didn't know until reading this thread that Carnival already has a local webpage that you can access for free to get info. I'll certainly check that out on my next cruise (next week- yay!). So that definitely seems like a great first step.

Here's to change!

P.S. We love the paper Fun Times too. But it would be awesome to have more options.

I love having a tangible, paper Fun Times to read. I really hope they never go away. I personally believe that "apps" and smartphones and tablets and e-readers and all the other million different electronic devices most people are addicted to these days are one of the negative aspects of this modern world we live in and actually do more harm than good. I miss the 80's. :rolleyes:

I will retrieve this thread from the archives in 5 years to see how the cruiselines have adapted technology in the form of onboard communication to it's 6000+ guests

If you are Blessed to have a grandchild who you have introduced to cruising, make sure you bring them with you in 2019 to help you use all the new bells & whistles

I love having a tangible, paper Fun Times to read. I really hope they never go away. I personally believe that "apps" and smartphones and tablets and e-readers and all the other million different electronic devices most people are addicted to these days are one of the negative aspects of this modern world we live in and actually do more harm than good. I miss the 80's. :rolleyes:

Be careful what you wish for. One long term hiccup in the electrical grid and we're back to Little House on the Prairie days. Nothing, and I mean nothing will work.

I just wanted to add that carnival had already implemented a beta test of this sort of system in the past in a way that I think would be the most optimal. It was called Carnival FunPhone and it basically was an on ship platform that only used the local on-ship network for anything and therefore did not require you to pay for data fee. The app would let you view things like the Fun Times digitally and call other people with the app on the cruise, basically creating a more modern cruise walkie talkie. For some reason the beta is no longer available to the general public but I thought it was a great idea because it didn't charge anything for data and didn't eliminate the Fun Times on paper but did give those who wanted it the option.

• 1 month later...

I am surprise that no one has updated this post with the latest announcement regarding Royal Caribbean's Quantum of the Seas "Royal IQ" which thru the use of RFID Bracelets containing an "app" which allows guests to retain their daily activities schedule and receive updates at digital screen stations thruout the ship

Royal Caribbeans is known more then Carnival for it's innovations on it's newer ships, can Carnival be that far behind

In rereading certain replys to my original thread :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Oh PULEEEEZE! Part of the fun of being on a ship is going to your cabin each night after turn down and finding, along with the towel animal, the FUNTIMES for the following day and reading through it and planning. I would be most disappointed if the cruiselines did away with this. The FUNTIMES also make a good souvenir.

I agree completely. I have a smart phone and laptop but have no interest in getting a Funtimes app. I want to sit in my room and read through a paper copy.

I am surprise that no one has updated this post with the latest announcement regarding Royal Caribbean's Quantum of the Seas "Royal IQ" which thru the use of RFID Bracelets containing an "app" which allows guests to retain their daily activities schedule and receive updates at digital screen stations thruout the ship

Royal Caribbeans is known more then Carnival for it's innovations on it's newer ships, can Carnival be that far behind

In rereading certain replys to my original thread :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'll just repeat - when I'm laying on my lounge chair poolside, and I remember that there was something I wanted to do later (and had highlighted on my Fun Times last night), I don't want to have to get up go find a digital display (hopefully without a line at it) to remember what it was. Much more relaxing to just pick up the paper copy and look.

Oh PULEEEEZE! Part of the fun of being on a ship is going to your cabin each night after turn down and finding, along with the towel animal, the FUNTIMES for the following day and reading through it and planning. I would be most disappointed if the cruiselines did away with this. The FUNTIMES also make a good souvenir.

I would too, I love going through the Funtimes and figure out what i am going to do the next day while laying on my nice comfy bed.

I didn't read through this whole thread, but I'm going to put in my 2 cents here.

I'm a technology person. I love my newest iPhone and I love my iPad and they will both likely come on the ship with me. BUT not for that reason. I use them iPad on the plane and well the iPhone is obvious why it's with me. But seriously one thing I love about cruising is turning off the technology. It's refreshing to me. I like having the paper that I can hi light on and circle things on. I don't know, if Carnival ever went to some technical form of delivering the Fun Times I sure hope they leave a few print out versions for us who don't want to be all technical on vacation. I like to keep my vacations simple!!!

I am attached to my iPhone and iPad on land and at sea. However, there are some things that I am just not "into" doing on them. I prefer to hold an actual book to read, in addition to keeping a paper calendar. I also prefer to be able to read my "Fun Times" the way they are now--I like the tear sheet. And I just like reading that paper in paper form. I don't want it delivered to my iPhone, even though I carry my phone with me onboard all the time for picture taking, music listening and possible texts.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Believe it or not, there are people out here who don't do "apps". Don't have a smart phone. Or have a tablet. And some don't even own a computer.

There will still be a necessity for printed materiel.

That would be me. I will probably never even send another text message unless I happen to take a temporary job with the census bureau. I had to text when I worked for them in 2010 as that is how my supervisor wanted to communicate. It took me an average of 20 minutes to send a text that I could have spoken in 5 seconds.

Doc