Ports of Scandinavia - LIVE from the Voyager 6/28 - 7/27/2014

Regarding the Russian nuclear site, there is really nothing good or bad about it. You can see the same thing in the U.S. If this is something you want to see, you should definitely do it. However, there are more interesting excursions (depending upon what you would consider interesting).

Doing a "Mineral Park" tour this afternoon. One hour of driving - one hour at park and one hour driving back. This is the only way we can see this port easily. We stop here again in a few days and will see if they have a shuttle into town. We'll get back at 5:30 p.m. and I'll need to get ready for dinner with the Captain. As usual, will post after dinner (when most of you are awake).

If there are questions that I have not answered, please remind me. Thanks!

TC - you are a glutton for punishment! Dinner with the Captain again. Do hope it works out better than the last one.

Our previous worsts have been people who do not show up or apologise in advance, drunk hosts (an entertainer) and host missing (a lecturer, who was visible elsewhere in the room with wife and friends).

Whew..... thanks for the last post because I had no idea what you were referring to. Dinner with Capt. Daniel Green was lovely. He is such a nice man with a wonderful sense of humor. He will be with the Voyager for the next three years or so (12 weeks on and then vacation).

Kristansand was lovely. For anyone considering this cruise next year, it will help to consider the fact that these ports are not big cities nor are they "tourist" ports. For instance, our stop in Mariehamn (may be misspelled) was the first time Regent has stopped at that port. They were most interested in our feedback (which was extremely positive). The people in Mariehamn and in Kristansand are anxious to make your visit to their city as positive as possible.

We took an excursion to a "Mineral Park". We were able to see scenery from the bus and visit a lovely park with a lake (where children were swimming). The lake was beautiful the grounds were beautiful. The display of crystals, rocks, etc. from all over the world were very interesting to see. However, on the way back to the ship, people were saying that it was not worth it. I wonder if their expectations were a bit too high.

While we have not been to these ports previously, I suspect that many excursions in this part of the world will be less "exciting" than London, Rome, St. Petersburg, Stockholm, etc. but they introduce you to life in small cities (Kristiansand has a population of 80,000). Our tour guide was excited to tell us about their zoo -- that it has exotic animals such as zebra, giraffe's, camels, fox.......... To world travelers, this is not too exciting but to them it is. She explained how much room the animals have to roam (not in a small cage) and how hard you need to find the fox. We also learned that camels have multiplied so much that they now export them. Who would have thought that Norway exports camels? We thoroughly enjoyed the excursion and look forward to more "local" excursions.

Note: There were 3 full buses that arrived at the same time at the mineral park but the area was capable of handling that many people.

It is sad that tomorrow is the last day for all but 65 guests on board. The next segment will be full - mostly with repeat customers. The atmosphere will be quite different. The guests on this cruise has been warm and friendly. They will be missed.

Edited by Travelcat2

Jackie - am late getting to this thread. So glad you have your luggage and admire your fortitude and attitude. Thanks for the glimpses into your excursions and Regents handling of BA's luggage grand snafu. Enjoy the 2nd leg of your cruise. Are you wearing multiple pants per day? :)

22 days or so on The Riviera. All of the big ports were seriously bad. There were scams, thief, congestion, crowds, everything is not as it was before and we were there several years ago.

Give me those small ports any day. We loved every one of the small ports, but would skip the big cities any day.

We are docking in Oslo are the moment. It appears to be a lovely city. I am imagining the people that will board tomorrow watching the ship as she glides into port. We are having a Meet and Greet on the first sea day (July 13th) in the Voyager Lounge. There are 21 of us signed up. Regent has been very kind in giving us a room that will have a sign "private party" outside and is also sending out invitations. They no longer provide food for any group meetings but we are pleased that it will give us a chance to meet and chat for a while. We are looking forward to it.

The weather today is 82 degrees and sunny. We remain here overnight. My DH has wanted to see the Kontiki (most likely misspelled) and will be able to do so today. We are taking a Maritime tour that consists of three museums. Tomorrow we will take the city tour offered by Regent for guests that are continuing on.

I did not realize that we would need to fill out end of cruise questionnaires since this is not the end of our cruise. We have been trying to get as many names as possible so they can be recognized for their superior service. The service has really been exemplary on this cruise and I wish I could write everyone's name down.

Agree with the posts regarding small ports. This segment has been mostly large cities while the next segment is mostly smaller ports. I suspect that the percentage of repeat customers is party due to the unique ports -- some of which Regent has not done previously.

I will definitely miss mudhen and her DH as well as all of the lovely people we have met on board. Our lost laundry certainly opened the door to our meeting more people than we normally would have met. One women that is continuing on with us for the next 16 days still does not have her luggage (her DH does). She is lovely and is enjoys shopping in ports. Oslo should be perfect for her. Her attitude is positive and she is definitely enjoying the cruise.

If anyone that will board tomorrow is reading this...... welcome to Oslo!

Edited by Travelcat2

Voyager, Oslo welcomes you!

We were sitting by our little balcony this morning and cheered as the Voyager slowly sailed into the harbor and docked. We have seen several different ships docked there over the last few days, but obviously none so sweet as the Voyager.

In fact, Jackie, I was thinking of you as it was docking. Kind of thinking of you,thinking of us soon-to-be passengers. So yes, we were definitely watching!

We are about to head out to do a little outer city hiking. My husband has spent quite a bit of time here, back in his student days, so we are going to go to one of his favorite parks. I asked for views and shade and so this is what he prescribed. Yesterday was a glorious day (although a little hotter than I would prefer!). Today should be the same.

See everyone soon!

Although many of you are asleep (in the U.S and Canada) I want to post before I forget everything.

NJBelle -- we are anxiously awaiting your arrival on the ship tomorrow. I saw Peggy on our excursion today. We have cruised together previously -- it was great to see her for a few moment -- it was long enough to give her a hug. She looks great. She was not aware that the Voyager was spending the night in Oslo -- she was surprised and took a picture of the ship.

Price of dry cleaning a sweater is $10.50.

Many things are interesting about Oslo. It is one of the most expensive cities in the world -- has very low unemployment and has a unique perspective when it comes to electric cars. Parking spaces are free for electric cars. Parking in lots is also free and most include charging stations (note: all the parking near the dock has charging stations for each parking space -- similar to having meters.) When you purchase an electric car there is no tax and no "road use tax" (assume that is similar to registration fees in the U.S.)

The tour was to three boat museums (one was to the Viking Museum, one to the Kon-Tiki museum and one name that I cannot recall) was quite good. Seeing the Kon-Tiki was amazing. The only complaint is that the excursion was too long. Just a minor complaint.

Not expecting anything exciting to happen for the rest of the day. We decided not to go ashore this afternoon as the temperatures are a bit high for me. I'm more into 60's and 70's. Tomorrow morning we have a city tour for 3 hours (may have mentioned that already). This is really a lovely BIG city:-)

As Jackie posted, I ran into her and Denis this morning. A nice surprise. I saw the Regent buses and was looking but she saw me first.

There were a number of people who will be joining the ship tomorrow on the SAS flight from Newark to Oslo and (from the Regent person in the Lobby) something like 200 staying here.

Wonderful to see the Voyager this morning and looking forward to barding tomorrow.

See everyone there!

Peggy

We may have seen Jackie's group as well; but since we haven't met her yet and don't know what she looks like, we didn't meet her. It was great to see the Regent in port, and will be even greater to see and everyone else tomorrow.

Jackie, we loved that 3 museum tour too. The kon-tiki was outstanding, but I also really liked the Fram. And we had a great guide which made it even better.

If you get a chance, try to go walking up around the fortress nearby where you are docked. The grounds are very nice, and there is an interesting little museum there.

Yes -- the Fram was wonderful - especially being able to walk through the ship. Tomorrow morning (before everyone embarks) we will take a long walk that will include the fortress. We cancelled the city tour because the time was changed from 8:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. We liked the 8:30 a.m. time as we would have returned to the ship a half an hour before embarkation. Arriving back to the ship at 1:30 p.m., in the middle of embarkation did not sound as nice.

Reflecting back on the 1st segment of this cruise, I remain touched by the officers, crew and passengers. The fact that quite a few passengers did not have luggage seemed to bring everyone together. The caring and generosity that everyone displayed was amazing. Apparently there were photographs of passengers that did not receive their luggage posted for the crew so that no one would be turned away from a lounge or dining venue for being inappropriately dressed. The "luggage story" made it around the ship quickly and we were always being asked if our luggage had arrived. I believe that I said earlier that, as of today, everyone has their luggage. This cruise was somewhat like living in a small town or village where everyone cared about one another. There were also quite a few people new to Regent on this cruise. Everyone seemed happy and anxious to learn everything about the ship. And, the old timers, like ourselves, were happy to answer questions for them. When the Internet Manager was not here, one of us was usually around to help.

With so many repeat customers coming on board tomorrow, I suspect that the atmosphere will be a bit calmer. Hopefully everyone will have their luggage. This will also be a more relaxed cruise. The one we are finishing was 12 nights and 12 port days. It is no wonder that we are tired.

This segment will take us to more ports in Norway (small ports) and will have a stop in Murmansk, Russia where will will try some Russian pancakes. We are wait-listed on an excursion where you go onto a raft with crab fishermen -- take the crab back on shore -- sit on floor (I believe on reindeer skins) and watch the crab being cooked and then get to eat it -- yummmmm. Afterwards the tour goes to a ice bar. This should be a great cruise -- I look forward to posting:)

Edited by Travelcat2

TravelCat2,

We did a similar cruise last July on SB. I am grateful for your daily posts and reminds me of our wonderful trip. The small ports were wonderful (went above Arctic Circle to Honningsvag -not sure of spelling).

The people who went crabbing loved it and I did the ice bar. Be prepared to be dressed as the Michelin Man!

Travelcat,

My daughter and I were on the Voyager from London to Stockholm in June. I am following your posts with great interest. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences with us.

If you have a chance, please pass along a hello from Tim and Emma to our dear friend Ferdinand in Compass Rose.

Jackie,

I just looked at your "new" itinerary and it's a terrific one!!! I did a similar itinerary on Crystal back in 2008 and it was my best cruise ever (all have been great), itinerary wise.

We went also went far north to Longyearbyen/spitzberger as well as the North Cape/Honnigsvag. these small ports are terrific and I hope you have excellent weather as the scenery throught Norway was spectacular. Sailing the Fjords was amazing. Have a wonderful time, relax, enjoy and wear all your clothes. I'm really enjoying your posts.

Please give Peggy a hug from me.

Best,

Nancy

Just finished reading this thread beginning to end, so happy to hear you finally got your luggage. We are booked on Mariner Lisbon to Miami and I was considering not taking a carry on, this has changed my mind and it will definitely include a change of clothes. Chef Schimdt was in charge on our first Mariner Cruise in 2012 and the food was fabulous hope he is still on when we board.

Pat

Just finished reading this thread beginning to end, so happy to hear you finally got your luggage. We are booked on Mariner Lisbon to Miami and I was considering not taking a carry on, this has changed my mind and it will definitely include a change of clothes. Chef Schimdt was in charge on our first Mariner Cruise in 2012 and the food was fabulous hope he is still on when we board.

Pat

Pack your carry on as if you will NEVER see your other luggage!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Patti22, do you dress as the Michelin Man for the ice bar? Also, how was the crab? We are particularly excited about this excursion.

golfer21, we will be on the Mariner from Rome to Lisbon. We will make sure that there is plenty of good food and drink left for your cruise;)

Nancy, will definitely give Peggy a hug for you:-)

bamadad, will say hi Ferdinand from you and Emma. He is great -- he served us when we dined with the Captain and one other time.

Well, the 520 repeat passengers are boarding and there are 65 of us from the last cruise. This leaves a small number of passengers that are new.

Oslo is really quite hot but we had a great walk into the town this morning. We have muster at 3:15 p.m. (quite early) and we depart at 4:00 p.m. This is a lovely port. I believe tomorrow is Kristiansand again where will will walk into town. I will encourage others to post on this thread as you must be sick of hearing from me;)

TravelCat2,

Yes, I did this excursion in Helsinki. Hot outside like you are having so sort of a shock when we were ushered into a locker room to put on snowmobile type outfits with large boots and gloves. Very cold (zero?) inside the bar. Bar was ice, tables were ice, shot glasses were ice (cranberry vodka for me). Slippery but beautiful. There were also igloos inside and I went on a ride with the sled dogs also. Lots of fun.

I did not go on crabbing (in Honningsvag, I think). Friends said first onto the Zodiac boats, to the crab pots and then to the beach to cook and eat them. Can't get much fresher than that. Enjoy!

Sailing from Oslo...

We left Oslo with a spectacular sail away at 4 pm today. Took a few photos and then Eric and I joined Roy and Esther in their suite - and met Joan and Joe as well. Beautiful digs and views. Rest of sail away was fun with lots of beautiful scenery. Captain was very obliging to back up in the harbour so that passengers could see the Opera House. We had gone during our time in Oslo but many did not get that chance. And lovely to see it from a different vantage point.

Met several lovely couples at the Pool Bar. Listened to the pianist in the Observation Lounge. He plays really well but honestly we prefer a pianist who can sing and do a piano bar. We were there for pre -dinner cocktails, so are going back shortly to see if he can sing- but not optimistic.

Dinner in a Prime 7 was superb. We split the big porterhouse and it was divine. We had eaten fish in Oslo for the past 4 evenings, so enjoyed a night of beef.

Passengers seem very pleasant and happy to be here. We sure are!!

Tomorrow is Kristiansand. We have an excursion at 8:30, so we need to ignore the lighted sky and make sure we get to bed in time!

NJBelle,

Good evening from the States. You may not remember me but we met on the Mariner in 2009 in Alaska. My daughter Emma and Katherine are Facebook friends still today. Emma and I celebrated her high school graduation on the Voyager for two weeks in June in the Baltics. I hope you have a wonderful cruise. We will be following your posts (and Travelcat's) closely.

If my information is correct, Ray Solaire should have rejoined the Voyager as CD for this cruise. Ray is the among the best at sea, so do enjoy. If JR is still onboard, don't miss his singing - it is a treat!

Tim