Ports of Scandinavia - LIVE from the Voyager 6/28 - 7/27/2014

Had to do one more post. Just came out of a fabulous show. It was Frank Sinatra music (a little before my time but I know the songs). I believe the singers's name is Jonathan Stewart. He has a magnificent voice. He also sang Nat King Cole and a couple of others. Cruise Director J.R. sang a duet with him. The band on this cruise is extraordinary. For those of you joining the Voyager in the Baltics, I highly recommend his show(s).

Also want to mention that this cruise has been amazing. The service may be better than on any Regent cruise we have been on. After our last cruise on the Voyager, I was concerned about returning to the this ship. Now I realize that it was a set of circumstances that just happened back in December. I also undertand that Christmas/New Year's cruises are always "different" -- not necessarily bad like ours was but definitely not typical. I wonder if that is because Regent passengers pay for relatives, etc. to sail on Regent for a Christmas gift and their guests have no understanding of Regent, had no particular desire to sail on Regent and therefore have no appreciation? Whatever the reason, we will continue to sail between Thanksgiving and Christmas but will not sail during Christmas. A close friend sailed on Oceania during the same time period and had similar feelings to mine.

In any event, although we do not like sailing during the summer, this cruise is fabulous. Interestingly, it is 10:30 p.m. and it is as light outside as it is at noon. We do turn clocks behind one hour tonight but it is a good thing that we have black-out drapes in our suite. Really looking forward to tomorrow.

Had to do one more post. Just came out of a fabulous show. It was Frank Sinatra music (a little before my time but I know the songs). I believe the singers's name is Jonathan Stewart. He has a magnificent voice. He also sang Nat King Cole and a couple of others. Cruise Director J.R. sang a duet with him. The band on this cruise is extraordinary. For those of you joining the Voyager in the Baltics, I highly recommend his show(s).

Also want to mention that this cruise has been amazing. The service may be better than on any Regent cruise we have been on. After our last cruise on the Voyager, I was concerned about returning to the this ship. Now I realize that it was a set of circumstances that just happened back in December. I also undertand that Christmas/New Year's cruises are always "different" -- not necessarily bad like ours was but definitely not typical. I wonder if that is because Regent passengers pay for relatives, etc. to sail on Regent for a Christmas gift and their guests have no understanding of Regent, had no particular desire to sail on Regent and therefore have no appreciation? Whatever the reason, we will continue to sail between Thanksgiving and Christmas but will not sail during Christmas. A close friend sailed on Oceania during the same time period and had similar feelings to mine.

In any event, although we do not like sailing during the summer, this cruise is fabulous. Interestingly, it is 10:30 p.m. and it is as light outside as it is at noon. We do turn clocks behind one hour tonight but it is a good thing that we have black-out drapes in our suite. Really looking forward to tomorrow.

TC: We were also on the Voyager last November/December and hands down, it was the most disappointing cruise we have ever taken, and that includes ALL cruise lines. It was such a bad experience, that it was the first time we did not book a future cruise while on the ship. We are joining the Voyager at the end of the month and I hope that things are greatly improved, otherwise it will be one of our last Regent trips. We were on back to back cruises and everyday we wondered, how bad will it be today, and in general was even worse than we could have expected. We usually sail over the Xmas holiday without any problems and actually enjoy the holiday festive atmosphere - our cruise last December was nothing less than a nightmare and I do not wish to repeat that experience.

gnomie :)

Glad to hear that the baggage is on its way. I have been following your posts.

Jackie, if you go to the port market in Helsinki make sure to check out the silver jewelry. The craftspeople do a wonderful job with simple contemporary styling. I have earrings and a necklace that are perfect for every day wear.

It is good to hear the the experience is great. Ours certainly was on the Mariner in March.

Ann

Happy shopping Peggy . We enjoyed the market. The vendors were a treat. The merchandise was nice quality. At least it was several years ago. When we were in Russia we were unable to purchase anything. I went a little berserk with the ease of spending money.

Ann, thanks for the tip. We are taking the shuttle into Helsinki in about an hour. It is now up in the air as to whether or not we receive our luggage today. It made it to Stockholm (thankfully as that is much better than being in Heathrow) but had not arrived to this port as of last night. Hopefully it will arrive at the airport and will be transported to the ship before we leave at 4:00 p.m. In the meantime, we may pick up a few things in town.

The temperature here is 59 degrees and cloudy. You can not see much from where we are docked. The town is apparently a couple of miles from here.

gnomie, did not realize that you were on the Christmas cruise. Before we started cruising, we traveled at Christmas many times and loved it. After this experience (and hearing how bad it was on the Riviera as well), we will rethink our future cruises. If you go on a cruise that arrives disembarks after the 15th of December, the decorations are up and the ship looks festive and beautiful. A couple of years ago (also on the Voyager), when passengers walked out of the show, we were greeted by butlers, stewards and stewardesses as well as officers, etc. The atrium area was decorated and the tree was up (and decorated). I have no idea how it was done in such a short period of time). I believe we flew home on the 19th or 20th that year.

This cruise is as close to perfection as it can be. Most of our Regent cruises are great -- this is special somehow (despite the lost luggage). Hope you report your experiences when you board at the end of the month (it must be right after we disembark -- our cruise ends in Copenhagen on the 26th).

What a lovely port! While I cannot write about excursions, I do know that most of them are 4 hours or less which leaves time to walk around the Market area. The shuttle takes you to the entrance to the port. The shops, restaurants, etc. start a couple of blocks away. For those of you in wheelchairs, please note that there are a lot of cobblestone streets. Even for those of us who can walk, the cobblestones are hard on the feet. We were able to find several walkways that were paved and it made walking much easier.

We did see a boat that serves lunch and includes an hour and a half tour for 19 euros each -- it sounded like a nice option for those who do not book an excursion.

Since I yet to see my luggage, we walked several blocks to a department store which was lovely. Their sale prices were pretty much equivalent to shopping at Macy's. The many stalls that were set up (the "Marketplace" is a couple of blocks long and is full of little trinkets to purchase, fresh fruits and vegetables, fur, knives and restaurants. Strawberries were 6-7 euro for a basket -- similar in size to what we would see in the states for much less money. We saw a delightful small open faced salmon sandwich for .99 euros. Reindeer plates are available in many places -- if any of you try this, kindly report back on Cruise Critic;)

There is an enclosed building near where the shuttle lets you off -- before you reach the market. Inside they sell meats, fish, cheese and also sell sandwiches. The sandwiches look absolutely wonderful -- they are large -- on hardy bread -- for approximately 7-9 euros. The prices are much lower than expected. However, the prices at the outdoor restaurants that we saw on the way to the department store were quite expensive. If we wanted to eat off of the ship, there were many places that we would have been happy with in the market.

As Ann pointed out earlier, there is lovely handmade silver products. Due to our luggage situation, our focus isn't where it normally is. However, we loved this port and feel that most people will have a lovely time here. Although the weather is breezy and around 59 degrees, the sun is out and, with a jacket, it is very comfortable.

Tonight we have dinner with the F&B Director, Goren. If our luggage does not arrive, I am pleased that I purchased a scarf (on sale for 20 euros) that I can wear to dress up my black dress. Also found some small rollers that will help with my hair (I'm sure that men have absolutely no interest this:-)

It is amazing what a person can do without luggage but with a positive attitude. Also wanted to mention that as many as 80 passengers had their luggage lost. Some will have it delivered today while other are still waiting. In addition to the care and attention we are receiving from Regent, other passengers are really caring as well.

P.S. HanaleiSailor, thank you for your post!

Edited by Travelcat2

We have had reindeer in Finland and found it quite good. Very lean and not gamey at all. Of course, we regularly eat venison and elk at home, so YMMV.

That market that you are talking about is wonderful! We made a lunch from the different stalls there once that was great. Also the chef onboard went shopping there, and the dinner menu in CR featured a lot of the stuff he bought. I particularly remember some delicious mushrooms.

Post on the Regent board if you have no desire to sail Regent? I thought that this forum was for those interested in the line.

Aloha!

Sorry must have missed that rule in the CC guidelines

If I was looking to sail on Regent some of these posts would definitely put me off ......too many rules to get past :eek:

Aloha to you also

Peggy, in answer to your question, when we were in Russia you could only use their money or purchase at a special tourist store. There was never a chance to change dollars to Russian money and we never saw one of the special stores. We went to a fun craft market in the park but were strongly cautioned against using $ which was considered black market trading . It made for a very frustrating experience . This goes back at least 10 years. Hopefully things are much more open now.

Our memories of Helsinki were as Jackie described it.

Have fun on your cruise.

Hope the bags arrived, Jackie . It is good that they are in Stockholm. Say hi to DH.

Ann

Edited by Eager2Travel

So, luggage has not arrived. Unfortunately, some guests are yelling at the crew and the G.M. I wonder if they have not read the contract that guests have with Regent. They have absolutely no responsibility for the loss of the luggage (British Airways does). However, as they often do, Regent is spending money to locate the luggage and do whatever they can to make things easier for us. Apparently, for some reason unknown to Regent, the luggage (most of it) still is sitting in Stockholm. Regent representatives continue working to figure out why it was not shipped to Helsinki.

Tomorrow night at 6:00 p.m. the G.M. will meet with all passengers that are still missing luggage. I am hesitant to go because if anyone starts yelling or being rude, I will walk out. No matter how bad things are, IMO, there is no excuse for rudeness, yelling or threats! This is a very sensitive and difficult situation -- if Regent could snap their fingers and make it better, they would. I have no idea what some people expect. It is simply out of their control.

Now, in terms of dinner with Goran (love this man -- not sure if I am spelling his name correctly) -- F&B Director. We had dinner with Goran, Annie (Head of Housekeeping and a lovely woman) and a very nice couple that will remain on for the second leg of the cruise. It is difficult to be around Goran without laughing and being happy. He is an amazing man. He insures that everyone in the kitchen follows Regent recipes so that there is consistency in the product. Of course, he has a ton of other responsibilities but this is one of them. We have known him for some time and are thrilled to finally be on the same ship with him (even though he is leaving to see his beautiful family in just a few days). He reads CC and I told him that I would mention him -- however he has no clue what I will say (hope he is scared...... very scared:D )

Tomorrow morning is our beer excursion. There is nothing like beer in the morning (not). Actually, when we are on vacation, time does not matter in terms of having one drink. In Las Vegas we typically have beer with breakfast (although we haven't been to Las Vegas in about 15 years).

That is all for now. Thanks to most of you who post and are interested in this thread and Regent. What I post is 100% my opinion and I truly believe that those of you who will be on the Voyager over the next month or so will have an incredible cruise. I assume that cruisers that will be on the Voyager after that will as well.

Rachel, we really should have made a meal out of the wonderful food that we saw in port. Unfortunately, we are so focused on the luggage that we tend to hurry back to the ship for updates. We are enjoying the cruise very much but remain hopeful that we will see our luggage before the next segment. I cannot imagine being onboard 28 nights without luggage.

P.S. Brett, if you are reading this, Goran is wonderful and I nominate him to be the F&B Dir. on the Explorer (along with Capt. McNeill as Captain and Franck Galzy as G.M.). Kindly give this consideration. A butler on the Riviera (formerly on Regent) said that the maiden voyage of the Explorer will be the "cruise of the century". Shouldn't this very special event have long time Regent employees in the top positions who have worked so many years on Regent? Who more than them understand the Regent culture and guests? REALLY hope you will be onboard this special voyage -- we would love to see you again.

Edited by Travelcat2

Travelcat2,

Quick question: how is the hair dryer in the suite? I need a dryer with plenty of wattage and am debating whether to bring mine from home or not.

We embark the day you disembark. I, like many others in this thread, sincerely admire you for your positive outlook and how you're dealing with the luggage issue. Not sure I would handle it as well as you are.

Thanks for the great updates - we are really excited for our first Regent cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi there, I can answer that question about the hair dryer and save Jackie some time while she is cruising....

We were just on the Voyager in February (although we are flying out on Saturday to join the next cruise when it leaves from Oslo - can't wait!). Anyway, the hair dryer is pretty high wattage. It is kept in the drawer in the walk-in closet (at least to start) and you can use anywhere in the suite (maybe not the bathroom due to lack of plugs there, not really sure). Bottom line, even though I don't remember the exact wattage, it is just as good as mine at home.

Agree with NJBelle about the hairdryers -- at least most of them. We have had hairdryers that seemed a bit weak but you can always ask your stewardess for another one. You cannot use the plug in the bathroom for anything other than shavers. We always take a power strip so that we can plug extra things (here is an example of one on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/178-2979610-0527504?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=travel+power+strips )

I forgot to mention one of our all time favorite dishes that was on the menu last night -- Miso Glazed Sea Bass. Like other things that Regent prepares, it can be special ordered 24 hours in advance. It is only served once per cruise so we will no doubt special order it in a few days.

It is 6:30 a.m. on the 4th of July and I am unable to sleep. I enjoy my late night and early morning internet sessions. It is quiet and comfortable in the internet cafe.

We are not impressed with the Jean Ann Ryan (think that this is their name) shows. However, the Cruise Director, J.R. has a lovely voice -- he will have a show tonight. And, as I mentioned in an earlier post, the gentleman that does the "Sinatra" show is fabulous.

Will write more tonight with a port update!

Thanks TC for your report.

You crossed my mind several times today as I was sorting out what to pack for the Oslo to Copenhagen leg. Every time I was sitting on the fence about whether to pack an item, I imagined how you are getting by without any of your selected articles. It would be tougher still on the next leg with the very chilly (OK, cold) temperatures and forecast rain!

I am taking several hiking excursions that I'm sure I would have to forego if my luggage doesn't find me. You are handling it like a trooper but I'm sure it has become very old by now! Hopefully, your ordeal is coming to an end soon!

I look forward to meeting you in a week and even though I'm sure it is lovely, I hope not to see your well-used black dress (even with the scarf!):D

Have a great day today!

Thanks TC for your report.

You crossed my mind several times today as I was sorting out what to pack for the Oslo to Copenhagen leg. Every time I was sitting on the fence about whether to pack an item' date=' I imagined how you are getting by without any of your selected articles. It would be tougher still on the next leg with the very chilly (OK, cold) temperatures and forecast rain!

I am taking several hiking excursions that I'm sure I would have to forego if my luggage doesn't find me. You are handling it like a trooper but I'm sure it has become very old by now! Hopefully, your ordeal is coming to an end soon!

I look forward to meeting you in a week and even though I'm sure it is lovely, I hope not to see your well-used black dress (even with the scarf!):D

Have a great day today![/quote']

Your post made me laugh. Yes -- definitely getting tired of wearing the same clothes. The temperatures were quite chilly in St. Petersburg which is why we both had to purchase Regent jackets. They have been very helpful. It would be nice to have closed toe shoes but we could not find any that were comfortable when we were in Helsinki.

I should have final details for our Meet and Greet today. I am letting the F&B Director select the time and date that works best for them. We should also learn the fate of our luggage this evening.

Leaving for our beer excursion in a few minutes. Have fun packing;)

So, luggage has not arrived. Unfortunately, some guests are yelling at the crew and the G.M. I wonder if they have not read the contract that guests have with Regent. They have absolutely no responsibility for the loss of the luggage (British Airways does). However, as they often do, Regent is spending money to locate the luggage and do whatever they can to make things easier for us. Apparently, for some reason unknown to Regent, the luggage (most of it) still is sitting in Stockholm. Regent representatives continue working to figure out why it was not shipped to Helsinki.

Tomorrow night at 6:00 p.m. the G.M. will meet with all passengers that are still missing luggage. I am hesitant to go because if anyone starts yelling or being rude, I will walk out. No matter how bad things are, IMO, there is no excuse for rudeness, yelling or threats! This is a very sensitive and difficult situation -- if Regent could snap their fingers and make it better, they would. I have no idea what some people expect. It is simply out of their control.

Under US booking conditions, RSSC accept no liability or responsibility for loss or damage to baggage by air carriers.

However for those passengers who booked in the UK, the Regent Terms and Conditions are very different. Under the UK booking conditions (backed by UK and EU law) a passenger who has booked their air through Regent has booked a 'package' which includes RSSC taking responsibility and liability for loss or damage to luggage caused by the airline - albeit Regent's Ts & Cs seek to limit the amount of compensation to be paid. The passenger's contract is with RSSC not with BA.

So I am sure for many of the passengers affected, RSSC certainly do have a contractual liability - and for all passengers they have a moral obligation.

None of this excuses rudeness, yelling or threats by passengers, but I can understand that tempers must be very frayed after a week without baggage.

I hope your bags arrive with you soon.

flossie009, thank you so much for your post. I had not thought about U.K. citizens since most of the people I met are from the U.S. I did meet a lovely woman who is British but lives in Washington state. She had no carry-on luggage -- flew SAS departing from Seattle. Unlike us, they have not identified where her luggage is. She is taking it well.

Okay, so we are in Mariehamn (part of "Aland"). There are approximately 6,500 islands here. Wish I were a writer because it would give me the adjectives that I need to describe this place. It is like a fairy land out of a Grimm's book. This place is absolutely stunning. Mariehamn was once part of Sweden. It was taken over by the Russians -- they created the infrastructure. Then they were taken over by Finland. They govern themselves and speak Swedish.

One law that they have has to do with the right to enjoy nature. You can walk, hike, bicycle or whatever through any of the islands, on any land that is there -- pick berries from the land (for your use only) and enjoy nature. No one can say anything. I was most impressed by this law.

We went to Pub Stallhagen. They brew 35,000 barrels per year (I think it is barrels -- cannot think of what else it would be). Everything is made very naturally and tastes quite good. The four beers were paired with four things: cheese with marmalade on it........ delicious sausage, not so good herring and chocolate cake. It was a wonderful excursion!

Going to take a nap. Regent had a wonderful 4th of July BBQ -- such a nice touch!

One law that they have has to do with the right to enjoy nature. You can walk, hike, bicycle or whatever through any of the islands, on any land that is there -- pick berries from the land (for your use only) and enjoy nature. No one can say anything. I was most impressed by this law.

In Sweden we have the same law, calling it "all man's right" you are allowed to move freely in nature on foot or by bike, pick berries and mushrooms and you may even go camping, but just for one night in the same place. Land owner can not say anything about it and it is also forbidden to fence in the aim to keep visitors away.

This is a law that gives an opportunity to live a truly wonderful outdoor life and enjoy nature as it is.

Winters Gate, I admire this law. There was so much beauty in Mariehamn, it would be an honor to spend time in this area. I am sure that Sweden is equally beautiful -- we just have not had the opportunity to explore the area yet.

This evenings meeting regarding luggage was interesting. There are three lists. The first (we are on this list) is luggage that is due to arrive on the ship tomorrow. The G.M. will personally go to the airport to insure that all luggage that has arrived will get to the ship. There is no guarantee that all of your luggage will be there. The second list is luggage still in Stockholm. Regent is renting a car and will drive the luggage to Karlskrona (a long drive). It should arrive the day after tomorrow. Then there is luggage that is unaccounted for. This should be less than 10 pieces of luggage.

Daniel Green (Captain) and Andreas (GM) both spoke at this meeting. I was pleased to hear people thank Regent for all that they have been doing. The Executive Concierge was also there. She has been amazing in terms of keeping us informed.

We arrive in Lithuania at noon tomorrow. We will proceed with our 3 3/4 hour tour which means we will not get back to the ship until 6:00 p.m. I am fairly certain that I can find clothing to wear for the evening and will quickly send out A LOT of clothing to be pressed. The following day (Karlskrona) we already designated as a sea day since 12 port days in a row is a bit much for us. We can use that day to unpack. This is probably very boring for those of you reading this thread..... however, we will not be reporting on Karlskrona.

Hope everyone is enjoying the 4th of July. We had lunch in La Veranda where they had a cheesecake and regular cake decorated like the American flag. They had a BBQ (also on the pool deck) with corn on the cob, chicken, ribs, hamburgers and hot dogs. It was festive and a lot of fun.

Edited by Travelcat2

TC, sorry to bother you on your vacation, but am wondering if you had an opportunity to stop at an ATM in St. Petersburg to get rubles?

I will be taking only included excursions all 3 days in SP, and want to make sure I have a chance to get rubles on the first day for tipping on excursions. What do you think the likelihood of that is?

(Also asked this on the "excursion tipping" thread, but didn't know if you are checking that one regularly. So don't feel you need to spend time answering both places.)

Just trying to figure out if I need to get some rubles before leaving Tucson!

Thanks.