Airport transfers in Venice

Jay23

I have just read a very nice review of a cruise on Riviera from Rome to Venice.

However I was horrified to read of the exorbitant charges made by Oceania for the airport transfer, and the alternative cost to the reviewer of a private transfer. There is a very efficient airport bus from Piazzale Roma which runs very frequently and costs €6.00. I promise that this is not difficult to use, it is comfortable and has plenty of space for luggage. It stops right at the airport, no fuss no hassle. The journey takes about 35 minutes. I was very doubtful about using this service, but my OH insisted that it would be fine. And it was fine.

Just though this would be useful information. Of course the same bus takes you from the Airport to the Piazzle Roma for you to board your ship.

Twohundred and something euros?... you must be joking!!!!!

+1

The bus is comfortable and fast. We got to the airport so early that we couldn't even check in or get rid of our bags. Any other method is vastly overpriced, especially the ship's transfers.

I will be in Venice in September (not on O :()I just booked a shared water taxi to go from airport to my hotel and a private car service to go from the Venice port (not O) to the train station post cruise. Both very reasonable. If you email me (see below) I will give you the information for both services. Either probably will transfer you from the ship to the airport or vice versa.

The prices of O transfers are so ridiculous as to be absurd. I think on my recent Alaska cruise it was 200+ to get to the airport. I often wonder who books these.

I will be in Venice in September (not on O :()I just booked a shared water taxi to go from airport to my hotel and a private car service to go from the Venice port (not O) to the train station post cruise. Both very reasonable. If you email me (see below) I will give you the information for both services. Either probably will transfer you from the ship to the airport or vice versa.

The prices of O transfers are so ridiculous as to be absurd. I think on my recent Alaska cruise it was 200+ to get to the airport. I often wonder who books these.

Just curious, how much is the shared water taxi and private car service??

I would think a fair number of people think the OP's 6.00 Euro bus price is "reasonable".

Include me in the Public Transport group!

I would think a fair number of people think the OP's 6.00 Euro bus price is "reasonable".

The price is more than reasonable. However, going between P. Roma and the ship can be a horror story (as reported here recently) - even just walking, never mind lugging luggage :eek:

See the discussion here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2053990&highlight=venice

Edited by Paulchili

I only do private or semi private transfers. I don't do buses and we have way too much luggage with us to do so anyway. LOL

Airport to hotel (shared water taxi) is 27 Euro per person. Other alternatives are way more expensive (private water taxi e.g.) or less direct and take much longer.

Cruise terminal to Mestre train station (over land - car service) is 55 Euro for 4 of us with 8 bags. I think that's a bargain.

We used the O offered transfer to the airport in Venice earlier this month and were far from satisfied. The contracted service that directs people to the luggage and then to the correct bus seemed understaffed and instructions were vague. We spent 15 minutes searching for our bus in the hot sun. Further, the bus driver wouldn't make an attempt to verify we had the correct vehicle. There was no sign in the bus indicating it was an Oceania transfer. He only had to say the name of the airport in his native language.

We are seasoned travelers and have used O transfers from time to time with good results. Other than this blip we had an excellent vacation. Even the behemoth NCL vessel that docked across from us was more of an amusement.

The price is more than reasonable. However, going between P. Roma and the ship can be a horror story (as reported here recently) - even just walking, never mind lugging luggage :eek:

See the discussion here:

I am familiar with Venice as a port on embarkation. Did it last year.

Flew into Verona, train to P Roma, and got to the port just fine.

Different strokes....

See the discussion here:

The walk to the People Mover is ridiculous.

I did not even consider it

I did a lot of research before I booked my transfers (even asked my hotel for suggestions) and I certainly will not be schlepping bags in the heat. LOL

I entirely agree. The walk to the ship from the P M station is far from easy. However there was a shuttle bus waiting for us to take us to the ship. Not O I am afraid, but, dare I say it ? .......... Regent. I would not have wanted to walk it either.

A taxi this month (June) from ship to airport was €45 including €6 on the meter for the phone call for the cab from the rank at P.Roma (bus and taxi station) to come collect us.

If cabs are waiting at the ship expect something between €35-€50max.

The bus is a good option but getting to P Roma is not a lot of fun, specially with baggage.

I entirely agree. The walk to the ship from the P M station is far from easy. However there was a shuttle bus waiting for us to take us to the ship. Not O I am afraid, but, dare I say it ? .......... Regent. I would not have wanted to walk it either.

Unfortunately, one cannot rely on a shuttle. They are not always running (you are in Italy, after all :D) and if it is a shuttle for another ship, they are not very likely to accommodate you (see the other thread on Venice shuttle referenced by me above)

What Oceania is charging is not that outrageous. We just finished our Celebrity cruise in Venice two days ago and left Venice this morning. We don't do public transportation and opted for a private transfer, which was $400 from the ship to the hotel and then $400 from the hotel to the airport. But it was much easier paying more and having the water taxi and porter meet us at the hotel this morning at 4:30am and take us directly from the hotel's dock to the airport for our 6:45am flight.

It depends how much one is willing to spend, time of day and willingness to deal with lugging bags around. We found that it was nicer to pay more and have a direct transport and porter to deal with our luggage.

Michael

I'm happy for you that you can afford to pay $800 for 2 water taxi rides. The normal fare is 100 euros from the cruise terminal and 100 euros from your hotel to the airport plus 10 euros for the early hour. 210 euros is about 290 dollars. You paid 500 bucks for a porter. Must be nice.

I'm happy for you that you can afford to pay $800 for 2 water taxi rides. The normal fare is 100 euros from the cruise terminal and 100 euros from your hotel to the airport plus 10 euros for the early hour. 210 euros is about 290 dollars. You paid 500 bucks for a porter. Must be nice.

+ 1

That's tossing money into the canal

Wow, I'm just trying to engage in the conversation since I just did the transfer yesterday. Rude people on here. I am looking at doing Oceania next year, but the attitude on here is a bit off-putting.

Michael

Wow, I'm just trying to engage in the conversation since I just did the transfer yesterday. Rude people on here. I am looking at doing Oceania next year, but the attitude on here is a bit off-putting.

Michael

Your price did seem pretty high but I agree there might have been a kinder way of expressing it.

Please don't write Oceania off. I am going on my 4th Oceania cruise next month after years of HAL and Celebrity. I have met so many great people onboard Oceania - more so than in any of my previous cruising experience.

Catherine

Your price did seem pretty high but I agree there might have been a kinder way of expressing it.

Please don't write Oceania off. I am going on my 4th Oceania cruise next month after years of HAL and Celebrity. I have met so many great people onboard Oceania - more so than in any of my previous cruising experience.

Catherine

Thanks, Catherine. In almost ten years on this site, I've never had a snarky response to a post until now. We are pretty close to booking Regatta for the 10-day Alaska next year.

Michael

Michael

You will love Oceania & their excursions

BTW I did not find the post rude just information just as your post supplied

Check Regent as well

Edited by LHT28

We just disembarked in Venice last week. We were on Azamara (our first time) and normally the port they dock at is San Basilio. However, we were docked at the Maritemma. There were 5 ships in port.

It is a very long walk from the pier to the where you get on the People Mover if you are toting a lot of luggage. Due to the fact that we were not at San Basilio Azamara arranged a free bus to take those who were traveling independently to the People Mover. The port would not allow the Azamara shuttle bus to go to all way to the Piazza Roma where you get on the train or pick up vaporettos. We were going to the Santa Lucia train station to take the high speed train to Rome. Once off the People Mover, you need to cross a bridge with lots of low steps to get to the train.

Azamara provided alternatives for transferring from the ship to go to various locations (ie. train station, airport, hotels, etc.) from the Maritemma for both independents and those using their transport. The private water taxis are one option but they are expensive. Private land transfers were another option and they went to the train station in Mestre but they do not go to Santa Lucia. They also go to the airport. Aliguna water service go to various areas in Venice. They cost more than vaporettos but less than private water taxis. There are no vaporettas available at the Maritemma. You pick the vaporettos up at the Piazza Roma.

We were glad that we purchased our rail tickets to leave from Santa Lucia train station instead of Mestre since the train was packed and when the people boarded at Mestre there was no where to put luggage. We will never travel on the high season again due to the crowds. The trip was wonderful but with all the kids, families, school groups and vacationers traveling it was just too crowded. Sticking to the should season.

The easiest and cheapest way is to take the bus and then walk one block to the people mover. In theory there is a shuttle bus to the boarding area but you may have to wait 1/2 hour. There were 3 of us with 5 bags and we managed ok except in getting through the turnstiles at the people mover.