Princess moved our rooms

Yingus

Princess is not very good about notifying passengers of a cabin change. :(

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure notifications of upgrades go out automatically -- they're generated by the booking system when the upgrade is made. If someone who booked directly with Princess didn't get a notification of an upgrade, it's likely because there wasn't a valid email address entered for the first person listed on the booking.

And I totally agree with Pam that OP needs a new TA!

I called Princess this morning. The girl told me that I requested the move in February. I told her she was wrong, that we picked our rooms in February when we booked. She put me on hold and came back to tell me I was right, and that they could move my cabin to E209 (from P209) and that at least we would all be back on the same floor. I told her that I wasn't moving any of the rooms until I found out why I was moved, and that we all have rooms that we were happy with. (Isn't that the point of picking rooms?) She told me that she'd have to speak with another department and they wouldn't be in until tomorrow. So I have to call her back tomorrow afternoon. Meanwhile I called and left a message (and an email) to my TA to find out what they know. I guess I'll know tomorrow.

Not sure how I feel about E209.

I called Princess this morning. The girl told me that I requested the move in February. I told her she was wrong, that we picked our rooms in February when we booked. She put me on hold and came back to tell me I was right, and that they could move my cabin to E209 (from P209) and that at least we would all be back on the same floor. I told her that I wasn't moving any of the rooms until I found out why I was moved, and that we all have rooms that we were happy with. (Isn't that the point of picking rooms?) She told me that she'd have to speak with another department and they wouldn't be in until tomorrow. So I have to call her back tomorrow afternoon. Meanwhile I called and left a message (and an email) to my TA to find out what they know. I guess I'll know tomorrow.

Not sure how I feel about E209.

you are very lucky if you spoke to princess about your booking if you went with a TA and if they want to move you for operational reasons they can

popWhat's considered "operational" reasons?

My personal experience with what might fall into that category: we booked 5 months ago for a Nov. sailing on the Star, picked a specific Emerald deck mini (one of the dozen on the entire ship with a covered verandah), marked our booking meta upgrade only.

Couple of weeks ago I get a revised confirmation ... Princess had moved us to a more midship mini on Dolphin with a fully uncovered verandah. Emailed my Princess person rejecting our new cabin, as we did not view it as an upgrade, and requesting our originally selected mini. At that point, I learned that our old cabin was already reassigned. But I could have one of the Emerald minis over the Lounge portside. Rejected that and again asked for our old cabin. Well, since it had already been reassigned, Princess called the people in the cabin next to our original one ... they had only booked a day or so earlier and they agreed to move and we got their cabin. I advised Princess that still was not acceptable.

We went back and forth for several days ... and I learned that we lost our original cabin because someone had booked the wheel chair accessible inside kinda across from our cabin, and they wanted "the nearest cabin" for people traveling with them ... in reality, there were two obstructed ocean views available more directly across from the wheelchair inside. But they wanted my Mimi.

I did get my original cabin back by being persistent ... but I was put out that someone booking now would even think they had priority over us, people who booked early to get the cabin we desired.

So, that's my example of what can happen.

Edited by pms4104

I'm glad your persistence paid off. I have our upcoming booking marked as meta upgrade only as well. We have a Caribe Deck balcony cabin (Cat. BE). There are a lot of cabins that Princess considers upgrades that I don't want. I realized that the meta upgrade could move us up to a mini suite without the half-covered portion, but I thought the extra space in the cabin would make up for that.

I'm glad your persistence paid off. I have our upcoming booking marked as meta upgrade only as well. We have a Caribe Deck balcony cabin (Cat. BE). There are a lot of cabins that Princess considers upgrades that I don't want. I realized that the meta upgrade could move us up to a mini suite without the half-covered portion, but I thought the extra space in the cabin would make up for that.

I love the Mini Suites & have no problem having an uncovered Mini on deck 9, & had a midaft Mini 6 years ago. The room is spacious with a love seat, plus it's wonderful to have the bathtub shower combo. So many complain on here about the Mini's open deck, but I'd be so excited if they upgraded me from my BF Balcony Guarantee Cabin to one. I'm keeping my finger's crossed because everything is sold out on our Alaska Aug 24th 2014 cruise except for a few Suites.

Edited by Katjoy

We went back and forth for several days ... and I learned that we lost our original cabin because someone had booked the wheel chair accessible inside kinda across from our cabin, and they wanted "the nearest cabin" for people traveling with them ... in reality, there were two obstructed ocean views available more directly across from the wheelchair inside. But they wanted my Mimi.

I did get my original cabin back by being persistent ... but I was put out that someone booking now would even think they had priority over us, people who booked early to get the cabin we desired.

So, that's my example of what can happen.

Having cruised twice with our severely disabled son along in his own HC room I can tell you that being down the hall a bit (or a lot) isn't an issue. There is absolutely no reason that someone would have to be in "the nearest cabin" in order to be of use/assistance to a disabled person. If it's that much of a big deal perhaps someone should share the HC cabin with the person.

Having cruised twice with our severely disabled son along in his own HC room I can tell you that being down the hall a bit (or a lot) isn't an issue. There is absolutely no reason that someone would have to be in "the nearest cabin" in order to be of use/assistance to a disabled person. If it's that much of a big deal perhaps someone should share the HC cabin with the person.

Thanks for sharing your personal insight.

Talked to the TA this morning. According to her Princess gave us a complimentary upgrade. She still hasn't confirmed/or denied that they received notice of it. She is trying to get my rooms back, or get me back on the same deck. I told her that before anymore changes are made, I need to be notified first. I don't want them moving to another less desirable room/location. I'm giving her until tomorrow morning to get it resolved or I'll be back on the phone with Princess.

Talked to the TA this morning. According to her Princess gave us a complimentary upgrade. She still hasn't confirmed/or denied that they received notice of it. She is trying to get my rooms back, or get me back on the same deck. I told her that before anymore changes are made, I need to be notified first. I don't want them moving to another less desirable room/location. I'm giving her until tomorrow morning to get it resolved or I'll be back on the phone with Princess.
Stand your ground and tell her that she HAS to get your cabins back or comparable to your liking. She shouldn't have to be told to notify you of any change. If you're not getting a discount on your cruise fare and she doesn't help you, I'd change my booking back to Princess and look for a better TA.

Stand your ground and tell her that she HAS to get your cabins back or comparable to your liking. She shouldn't have to be told to notify you of any change. If you're not getting a discount on your cruise fare and she doesn't help you, I'd change my booking back to Princess and look for a better TA.

I agree. if your ta isn't doing anything for you, you may as well have your booking with princess and handle it yourself as you already are!

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to tell the final outcome to this. Our TA says that Princess didn't contact them. Princess says they did. Our only option was to let customer service know once we got on board that we would like our room changed if possible. Of course we did that, and we were never moved. Our room p209, while some might like because it was on the Plaza level, we didn't care for it. The layout was different and the room was smaller with the bed under the window. We also did not enjoy being on a lower floor level. Our parents, E121 was actually a great room. Outside was a deck that people walked by, but where the steps were located, made it unlikely that someone would walk directing in front of the window. The other bonus was there was a door at the end of the hall that took you out on to the deck. It worked great for my parents so they could go in and warm up during the Tracy Arms part. (and whale watching) My brother's room E618 was an obstructed view, and yet only had a cable in front of it, so they had a good view. The layout of the room was the same as E121. They were fine with the location and they were close to the back elevators.

I did learn a lesson...mark your room do not move if you don't want it changed. Thanks everyone for your advise.

Thanks for letting us know. We like the Plaza Deck--but we're not traveling with other folks. Marking your booking "no upgrade" is especially important if you want cabins near to each other.

I booked through Princess and didn't see on the reservation where I could mark it "no upgrade". After reading these messages of unwanted upgrades I called them this morning and had them mark it for me. I picked my specific cabin and I want to keep it. :)