Just returned from Statendam AK

Mtn Mom

Thanks to all you wonderful CC's and your thoughts on various threads that helped in planning our cruise.

This was only our second cruise sailing with our first on Ryndam and this one on Statendam, sadly both are leaving the fleet. Love the small ships.

Those sailing Statendam soon will find wonderful staff and ship. We had no problems with plumbing, able to have hot showers, and AC worked too well for me in AK (could of had more heat) but blankets work. Food was always plentiful as well as variety.Dive In was implemented. Entertainment in the Showroom was great with great Singers and Dancers performing a musical adventure in Northern Lights, Jeff Peterson and Indy the Magic Dog, the marriage game, comedy of Mike Robinson, Indonesian Crew show, Rockin Roadhouse, and Dancing with the stars.

We had rain, sun, rough seas, calm seas. (learned green apples and crackers help with rough seas as well). Not normally affected by seasickness and these took the edge off. And those who have never been to AK will find beauty in whatever the weather. Attached Glacier Bay picture. (just coming into view of Marjorie Glacier in Glacier bay).

Thanks again CC's.

ry%3D400Amsterdam by South Sawyer Glacier

ry%3D400

Glad to read that you enjoyed your cruise on The Statendam

My husband and I did an Alaska cruise last fall on that ship, and, we, too, like the smaller ones

We will be back on The Statendam at the end of September to do a 5-day Pacific coastal -- so thank you for that terrific review

We, too, had some rough weather, but were very well taken care of by the Captain at the time -- Captain Albert -- he took great strides to make our return trip back to Vancouver as comfortable as possible while battling some rough seas!!

The pictures are beautiful!

Krazy Kruizers is correct there is no Northern Lights "Room" (which I didn't know there was any room called Northern Lights) but there was entertainment in AK cruise called Northern Lights which "celebrates the beauty and grandeur that is Alaska".

Thank you for posting about the Statendam. You can tell by my signature I'll be back on her in September. Last sailed on her in 1998. Glad they have the Dive-In. They did not have it on the Oosterdam when I was on her in May earlier this year. Dying to try it out as I love my burgers. Glad you enjoyed your cruise. I'm sorry to see the Statendam going.

I am so thrilled to see a review from the ship we will be sailing on late summer!!! I am sorry to swamp you with questions, but I''m starting to get a little anxious not knowing some things.

1. Did you do North or Southbound?

2. Where were the rough seas? Was it typical or related to a weather event?

3. In Haines, what do you think our chances are to make the 1st run on the fast ferry? (fast or slow getting off the ship?)

4. We are considering, with a good price, an upsell if it were to come, to a balcony. Did you have one and how much time would you use it there?

5. Did you think port or starboard was a better choice for rooms?

6. Did you dine in the PG? Thoughts?

7. How did you get to/from Seward to Anchorage?

Thank you!!!

Becky

Edited by chaperonemom

Thank you for sharing (beautiful pics)

We are leaving on the Statendam Aug 10 so I was very interested. We chose the Statendam because of its smaller size.

You got me really pumped!!!

We will be joining you, so excited,

Marilyn

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am so thrilled to see a review from the ship we will be sailing on late summer!!! I am sorry to swamp you with questions, but I''m starting to get a little anxious not knowing some things.

1. Did you do North or Southbound? Southbound

2. Where were the rough seas? Was it typical or related to a weather event? Rough (but depends, I'm sure on weather, which we had rain that day) but I am not to prone for motion sickness and just ate green apple and crackers or drink ginger ale, calm inside passages. Always be prepared for rain.

3. In Haines, what do you think our chances are to make the 1st run on the fast ferry?(fast or slow getting off the ship?) disembark was quick --just be down and ready to go. We didn't use ferry we took the Wilderness tour to Davidson Glacier which was awesome!

4. We are considering, with a good price, an upsell if it were to come, to a balcony. Did you have one and how much time would you use it there? On our first cruise we had a balcony and didn't use it much. We choose one on the lower promenade deck near atrium where we had quick access to either side of ship. We only slept and showered and spent rest in open areas or outsides, and if I wanted to peak outside at night I had a window to do that with. Cost of Balcony wasn't worth it for us where others may disagree, but if I would have been given a chance to upgrade I would of considered depending on cost otherwise spend $ for shore excursions.

5. Did you think port or starboard was a better choice for rooms? We had port going south, although we didn't see much shore on open sea, and when in the inside passages you had views on both sides. IMO I don't think it really matters which side.

6. Did you dine in the PG? Thoughts? Didn't do PG. We go to Alaska to see the sights and don't want to miss out with 2+hr dining. We did some MDR and mostly Lido. DH is picky and in LIDO he can see what he is getting before he gets it and if it is something he likes can go back and get more. He also likes Salad bar and can make his own salad. Know others like the dining experience and I say for those PG I hear is great.

7. How did you get to/from Seward to Anchorage? We came in early to Anchorage, had a car rental one day and drove part of Turnagain Arm, then took train down to Seward (highly recommended for exceptional views (we had good weather) there is part of that where no roads go and the only way to see it. Then visited Exit Glacier, and took Northwestern tour, and Kenai Fjords tours. My recommendation is the 9 hour Northwestern for views and wildlife. Then Boarded cruise in Seward and ended in Vancouver.

Thank you!!!

Becky

PS Wished I could still be there!!! Bare with my replies since I am new at doing this and knowing how to reply.