Biggest Waste of Time on a Cruise Ship...

Wilda

We go on a cruise to slooooow down. For us, being on the go the entire time would be counterproductive to our enjoyment of the cruise. It would be a waste of our time to just grab a quick bite to eat as this would mimic how we conduct our days back home.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I must get the "clean living" bonus service - because I found the breakfast in the dining room very prompt and much, much tastier than the WJ. We also just got off Enchantment today - arrived in dining room at 7:15 and was off the ship and full at 8:15. But we bring our own bags off - and it was amazingly easy and fast to get off the ship.

My waste of time would be the toilet lids in the public areas. Why do they have them? There is no room in there to really move - so it isn't like you need to set anything on them. So now lets have everyone touch the lids to lift them and put them down (so you can flush) - ICK. In the cabins, the lids make sense. In the public areas - no, and just a germ fest. I considered maybe for sloshing in rough seas - but I'm not sure that would really help since they don't appear water tight.

I intentionally waste a little time checking my email. The bigger waste of time is that sometimes it takes a lot longer than it should. It also wastes my free internet time. I'd like to see them go to a price per kb system rather than price per minute.

Gina

I must get the "clean living" bonus service - because I found the breakfast in the dining room very prompt and much, much tastier than the WJ. We also just got off Enchantment today - arrived in dining room at 7:15 and was off the ship and full at 8:15. But we bring our own bags off - and it was amazingly easy and fast to get off the ship.

My waste of time would be the toilet lids in the public areas. Why do they have them? There is no room in there to really move - so it isn't like you need to set anything on them. So now lets have everyone touch the lids to lift them and put them down (so you can flush) - ICK. In the cabins, the lids make sense. In the public areas - no, and just a germ fest. I considered maybe for sloshing in rough seas - but I'm not sure that would really help since they don't appear water tight.

Maybe they have lids so when people lean over to flush they don't drop anything in. The more drinkers there are, the more likely people are to drop things in, and cruises are known for drinking.

Gina

Edited by mommabean

My waste of time would be the toilet lids in the public areas. Why do they have them?...

Really? Here's why:

When you flush the toilet a mist is created. That mist is filled with bacteria. Studies have shown that the mist can travel several feet away every time you flush. So this means it reaches your toothbrushes, towels, shower curtains, every hard surface and probably you while you are still standing there - maybe looking down in the toilet. The toilet lid should be closed before flushing. If there is a lid on a public toilet, I'm closing it before I flush. I always wash my hands well afterward anyway, so the "germs" reason is a moot point for me.

Haha - no comment on that! But it does lead to a suggestion for the next ship renovation - floor knobs for flushing. I HATE the knobs for flushing - I button on the floor you step on would make me so much happier. Obviously - off to the side and close to the base so people don't randomly step on them.

Lining up to get off the ship at a Caribbean port, where one is just like another, and you have seen them all before, while there is an empty deck on the ship with a lounge chair of your choice to sit in whilst reading a good book and getting a Sun tan!

Waiting for everyone to show up for the obligatory safety muster. It is the worst when it is hot and we are on an outside deck standing in tight, crowded lines. It was even worse when we had to wear the life vests.

Now at least we often can sit comfortably inside and not wear life vests. Still, I wish folks could show up in a more timely manner and not keep so many people waiting.

I know the muster is a vital part of the cruise experience. But I wish some folks would take it more seriously and arrive on time, so we can all get on with the fun parts of the cruise.

I second that emotion.

Waiting for everyone to show up for the obligatory safety muster....

I know the muster is a vital part of the cruise experience. But I wish some folks would take it more seriously and arrive on time, so we can all get on with the fun parts of the cruise.

I'm with you here. It's not the muster by itself, it's waiting for people who seemed surprised it was going to happen.

It can't be a waste of time if it's what you CHOOSE to do; so where you eat or what you spend your money on - isn't a waste of time on vacation as determined by the person actually ON vacation. ;)

Those things we HAVE to do - (muster drill, wait to get off the ship) can feel like a waste of time, but like many other posters here I simply try to make them enjoyable parts of a wonderful vacation.

The biggest waste of time?

It takes so darn long for the ship to dock!

If I were driving, I would just reverse park in a couple of minutes. The ship takes more than an hour just to get in port!!

Not to mention tons of time trying to line up with the dock.

And even after they are at the dock, it takes bullocks of time to tie up.

And sometimes they can't even get the gangway ready fast enough.

And even after the gangway is ready, sometimes those Customs officers have to come onboard and they take their own sweet time to clear the ship!

Geeez. I thought by having a balcony, I could get a rope ladder to climb down on shore.

:D:D:D

Haha - no comment on that! But it does lead to a suggestion for the next ship renovation - floor knobs for flushing. I HATE the knobs for flushing - I button on the floor you step on would make me so much happier. Obviously - off to the side and close to the base so people don't randomly step on them.

The same hands that flushed, touched the knob to get out of the stall. Can we make the doors automatic? ;)

Gina

Edited by mommabean

Waiting for the damn elevators.

I have never had a problem with ships elevators taking too long:confused:

Perhaps because I always choose high up cabins its never far to walk down to things if need be?

Spending part of the last day packing. :(

Sleeping late.

This!

I hate having to spend time packing on that last day. I want to be sitting out at the pool or anywhere but stuck in the room packing.

And ditto to sleeping late! I never sleep in on a cruise. I really enjoy mornings on the ship.

It's so ridiculous that people are whining that this fun thread is 'bad' because it touches upon some of the negatives of a vacation. Life is not all lollipops and unicorns. :rolleyes: Believe it or not, some people can find something on their vacation a time waster without being a negative hateful cruiser. And those that say NOTHING ZOMG WHYWOULDYOUTHINKANYTHINGWASNEGATIVEITSAVACATION ummm...take a deep breath, lol.

Anyway... I think my biggest time waster on my last cruise was waiting at the guest services line on my last day to pay the .35 or whatever I owed, lol. I wanted to just leave a dollar in the stateroom :D I was actually surprised that they let you go over a cash account at all, as that seems to invalidate some of the reasons of having one (strict budget). But definitely waiting for defiant dopes on muster drills is way up there for me! Any kind of port talk but only because I research like a maniac for months leading up! :p

I have never had a problem with ships elevators taking too long:confused:

Perhaps because I always choose high up cabins its never far to walk down to things if need be?

I usually choose high decks too! When I sailed on deck 2 recently the elevator process was excruciating! lol

The 25 minutes I spent this morning waiting for my order to be taken at breakfast in the main dining room on Enchantment.

Glad we stayed in our cabin until debarkation time this morning on the Enchantment. We just relaxed and literally walked right off the ship when it was time. No lines. No waiting. Went from stateroom to car in 10 minutes. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app