Expired Future Cruise Certificate

geoherb

I purchased two of the $50 future cruise certificates when we took our cruise on the Fantasy in March 2012. At the time, we were told that it was a no brainer--that we would earn onboard credits when we used the certificates and that we'd get our money back if we did not use them. At least that was what we were told. I thought they would be like the similar certificates we purchased on Princess and Holland America in that regard. But they're not. They actually expire, and contrary to what we were told onboard, if you let them expire you don't receive your money back. You have to ask for it before the certificates expire.

But, thankfully, after emailing Carnival's customer service, I have received an answer that the value will still be there to use. We will get onboard credit as well if I book before September this year. If I wait to book a cruise after then, we'll just get the $100 applied to the cost of the cruise.

I realize that Carnival did away with this promotion sometime in 2012 after our cruise, but anyone who still has certificates that have not expired should check into getting their money back before they do unless you plan on booking something soon.

Went to use our last one for our last cruise, was not expired, and could not be combined with our other offer ($200 OBC for booking onboard). It would have expired before our next cruise so I gave them the cert # and cashed it in. $100 was credited back to my credit card within 2 weeks. Sure wish they still had them.

It was a great promotion and we would buy them on every cruise. It always gave us a reason to look for and book another cruise. Now, you only get OBC if you book a cruise while on a cruise. Generally, when we are on the current cruise, we are not thinking about the next one. Apparently, more people turned them in for refund rather than use them to book another cruise. Too bad they ended the program.

It was a great promotion and we would buy them on every cruise. It always gave us a reason to look for and book another cruise. Now, you only get OBC if you book a cruise while on a cruise. Generally, when we are on the current cruise, we are not thinking about the next one. Apparently, more people turned them in for refund rather than use them to book another cruise. Too bad they ended the program.

I agree we bought them every cruise, for our next cruise. I would love it if they brought them back.

It depends on the State you reside in. In California these things have no exparation date.

Same here in NH.

Had I known they were being discontinued, I would have purchased a dozen of them on the last cruise before they disappeared.

I also always bought at least one additional one every trip I was on they were sold. They were a good promotion, especially for those booking multiple back to backs to be grandfathered Platinum.

Each and every time I was told about the (2 YEARS to BOOK, 3 YEARS to CRUISE). I just happened to be on the last sailing you could purchase these. They held a specific meeting in one of the lounges to promote them. I won the Slot Tournament and immediately purchased 4 certificates. I saw others purchasing 10-12.

I still have 2 remaining (Sept 2014 to book & Sept 2015 to sail). I'm holding out until the last minute to cash mine in, because I know as soon as I cash them in I will end up booking a trip losing the OBC. :p

I also ask for them back on every comment or feedback.

Edited by wiskt

It depends on the State you reside in. In California these things have no exparation date.

I was told by my PVP that because the program is being cancelled, they do not have to honor that rule. I think he said all certificates would expire two years from the announcement. I turned mine back in for cash. You might want to check into it with someone at Carnival.

I also always bought at least one additional one every trip I was on they were sold. They were a good promotion, especially for those booking multiple back to backs to be grandfathered Platinum.

Each and every time I was told about the (2 YEARS to BOOK, 3 YEARS to CRUISE). I just happened to be on the last sailing you could purchase these. They held a specific meeting in one of the lounges to promote them. I won the Slot Tournament and immediately purchased 4 certificates. I saw others purchasing 10-12.

I still have 2 remaining (Sept 2014 to book & Sept 2015 to sail). I'm holding out until the last minute to cash mine in, because I know as soon as I cash them in I will end up booking a trip losing the OBC. :p

I also ask for them back on every comment or feedback.

I have 1 left I bought 4 right before they dropped the program, I too am waiting until last minute to book a cruise.

I was told by my PVP that because the program is being cancelled, they do not have to honor that rule. I think he said all certificates would expire two years from the announcement. I turned mine back in for cash. You might want to check into it with someone at Carnival.

I think it has to do with state law but will look into it to confirm. I do want to use my last remaining one for a B2B on the Dream in 2016.

By NH state law, certificates and gift cards can not expire and are not allowed to lose any value. (Like gift cards that impose non-usage charges every month, etc.) The purchaser must be a NH resident.

NH state law trumps Carnival's rules. :p

The info I received is that the certificates won't lose any value--I'll still get what I paid for them. It's just that if I wait to book after early September, I won't be getting any onboard credit in addition to the value of the certificates.

The info I received is that the certificates won't lose any value--I'll still get what I paid for them. It's just that if I wait to book after early September, I won't be getting any onboard credit in addition to the value of the certificates.

At least you'll get your cost back.

By NH state law, certificates and gift cards can not expire and are not allowed to lose any value. (Like gift cards that impose non-usage charges every month, etc.) The purchaser must be a NH resident.

I thought the same thing because I am in California. We have the same laws as NH. I'm just suggesting that you verify with Carnival. I wouldn't want you to be disappointed.

Edited by CWcruisers

Technically you would still maintain your $100 value, but may lose the additional "Perk" of onboard credit. I would check to make certain.

I thought the same thing because I am in California. We have the same laws as NH. I'm just suggesting that you verify with Carnival. I wouldn't want you to be disappointed.

Technically you would still maintain your $100 value, but may lose the additional "Perk" of onboard credit. I would check to make certain.

Curious...why do people think I am making up this information? :confused:

This has indeed been verified by Carnival and by the fact that we used our last :( FCC after its "expiration date" to get $100 off final payment and $200 obc for our upcoming 13 day cruise.

Wish we had more certificates.

Edited by stargate fan