Swimsuits ruined on Oasis

My wife had two swimsuits ruined on Oasis last week. They both faded real bad, she thinks it had to do with the chemicals in the pool? Anyone else ever had this problem with Royal's pools?

We were on your sailing. My husband's suit faded and so did my daughter's. Neither of mine faded this time, but we had the same trouble last time.

Last year in the Oasis pool I was wearing my sterling silver Tiffany bracelet and it turned black. I wore it in cruise pools before and this has never happened. Not to mention that silver cleaner isn't working to turn it back. :mad:

This happened to me this past January on Allure. It was my honeymoon, and the bracelet was my wedding present from my husband. I had it less than 1 week, so I had no idea that chlorine tarnishes silver (my first piece of silver ever). Anyway, when I got home, I cleaned mine the natural way... just google "cleaning silver". I can't remember exactly, but it's aluminum foil in a glass dish, put silver item on the foil, and baking soda and hot water are involved, too. I worked like a champ! It cleans all the nooks and crannies! I was afraid to do it, but had no choice...the bracelet was pitch black! So, I can promise this method will work.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For some reason the chlorine levels seem to be higher in the hot tubs vs the pools. Its best to rinse then off well after swimming or using the hot tub. The chlorine will deteriorate the rubber in the spandex or lycra fairly quickly..

I've had this experience too and I think folks are being a bit hard on the original poster. The first time it happened to me I had a bit of a shock too. The chlorine levels in the hot tubs are quite high. If I am on a cruise where the weather is very warm then I don't see this problem as much because I use the swimming pool which is salt and has a lower dose of chlorine consequently.

In the hot tub, you are subjecting the fabric to quite hot temperatures, you have spandex or lycra in the fabric too. In my case the bottom of one swimsuit suddenly went transparent. It's the lycra dissolving.

I buy good quality suits but I have now learned to buy 'tankini' suits from a major US maker. I just replaced the bottoms on 2 of my suits. The tops are still fine but the bottoms show the impact of too much hot tub despite rinse and washing after each use and, like some of the other posters I now take lots of suits on my trips.

We have to bear in mind that the ships are working hard to avoid norovirus and so they are erring on the high side with the chlorine in the hot tubs. The men's swimsuit material is different and it doesn't have this effect. My husband has had some fading with his suits which are the 'board shorts' type but the fabric has no lycra and is more like windbreaker fabric. That seems to stand up.

Last year in the Oasis pool I was wearing my sterling silver Tiffany bracelet and it turned black. I wore it in cruise pools before and this has never happened. Not to mention that silver cleaner isn't working to turn it back. :mad:

My co-worker cleans hers with a little vinegar and a soft cloth. She says it cleans right up.

Silver tarnishes. That's life with silver... oddly, the better quality stuff seems to tarnish a lot easier because of the higher silver content. It's not a magic pool, it's just how silver works.

We have to bear in mind that the ships are working hard to avoid norovirus and so they are erring on the high side with the chlorine in the hot tubs.

Just reading these boards, you'd put cruise ship hot tubs on your personal no-fly list.

Some nasty people are doing some seriously nasty things in those hot tubs. Not even just run-of-the-mill nasty.

My wife had two swimsuits ruined on Oasis last week. They both faded real bad, she thinks it had to do with the chemicals in the pool? Anyone else ever had this problem with Royal's pools?

This has happened to me, it is the chemicals, it has a bleaching effect. Sorry. That's why I don;t wear my good suits in any pool but my own..

Just reading these boards, you'd put cruise ship hot tubs on your personal no-fly list.

Some nasty people are doing some seriously nasty things in those hot tubs. Not even just run-of-the-mill nasty.

I haven't been in a hot tub since I witnessed a guy dipping his diaper clad kiddo in and out like a tea bag.

We have experienced the same thing on Radiance. I ended up buying my daughter chlorine resistant swimmers and they are still in perfect condition 18 months and 5 cruises later.

They probably pump 3X the normal chlorine level in those pools.

I am surprised nobody has complained about green hair...

Chlorine does not turn hair green, at least not directly. A high level of oxidized copper in the water is what turns hair green. In a residential pool most of the copper comes from well water, residential plumbing or overuse of copper based algaecides. I would not expect a ship's pool to have a high copper content.

Chlorine does not turn hair green, at least not directly. A high level of oxidized copper in the water is what turns hair green. In a residential pool most of the copper comes from well water, residential plumbing or overuse of copper based algaecides. I would not expect a ship's pool to have a high copper content.

Bear in mind that it's forever 1965 to some folks around here. This one time, they got in a pool at Little Susie's house and their hair turned green.

Bear in mind that it's forever 1965 to some folks around here. This one time, they got in a pool at Little Susie's house and their hair turned green.

Oh how true the statement is "That it's forever 1965 to some folks around here" for many many topics. LOL.

Green hair only one of them....besides today, people spend lots of time and money getting their hair green, pink, purple and lots of other colors, so what exactly is the problem. LOL again!

rinsing the sweat off is a nice thing to do.

Most sunscreen will survive a rinse.

It will certainly remove quite a bit of it. I'm not saying it's 100%, save the heavy scrubbing for your room or when you get home. No one is asking you to strip nekkid and thoroughly wash your swimsuit with laundry detergent.

However, a few minute under the water will absolutely remove a decent bit of any treated water in it.

Think of it this way... If you were covered in mud and there was a cold rinse shower nearby... You could either walk the entire way home covered in mud or you could spend 5 minutes under the shower and get a decent chunk of it off and do the heavy scrubbing when you got home. Are you perfectly clean? No. Are you a bunch cleaner than you were? Yes.

It's remarkable how life works like that. Is a stick of gum or a mint better than brushing your teeth? No. Would i prefer that over some stank breath? Yes. Is hand sanitizer as effective as hand washing? No would i prefer that after shaking hands with someone i see immediately pick their nose after i shook their hand (and probably did before we shook) and there is no bathroom nearby? Yes.

lol:d

I had a real bright while orange color that you could see a mile away. I think it was the Salt Water pool on the Oasis that did it . I though it was just me, But i am guessing I was not alone. I only went in the Salt Water pool once.

As I stated previously just go to your local pool supply store or Walmart and buy you a test kit and test the water before you get in there. I do this on cruises and when I use hotel pools. I want to ensure that it is right before we go jumping in there. If I test my pool a home you best believe I am going to test a public pool!

As I stated previously just go to your local pool supply store or Walmart and buy you a test kit and test the water before you get in there. I do this on cruises and when I use hotel pools. I want to ensure that it is right before we go jumping in there. If I test my pool a home you best believe I am going to test a public pool!

I don't know about everyone else but I am not going to bring a test kit on a cruise with me. I have a Inground pool and home and I check it twice a week. I couldn't care about the hotel or cruise ships pools. One thing that test doesn't show is Urine.

And if the test "isn't right" then what, cancel the vacation? Do you test the water coming out of the faucet and shower?

Edited by cruzincurt