Swimsuits ruined on Oasis

I had a great time on my cruise, and I was happy with everything about it. I will be doing it again with Royal soon. All the comments that I made about the cruise

on these boards are just that, comments and observations. I guess next time I won't post that a swimsuit faded, and not comment on the service. I thought that maybe I could help someone else from getting a ruined swimsuit. Why do Royal Caribbean Loyalist hate to hear the truth?

I hate to break it to you but you will find that swimsuits fade on cruises on Carnival, Princess, HAL, Celebrity and NCL too and at Mexican resorts where we go for land based vacations too! I take several swimsuits on every cruise and AI vacation, but reserve one for use in the pools and the others for the beach. The suit used in the pools usually gets tossed after the cruise or land based vacation, unless the fade looks good.

We haven't used the hot tubs in years since our doctor advised against it when DH got a nasty skin infection at a Hilton Hotel hot tub.

Edited by DebJ14

My wife had two swimsuits ruined on Oasis last week. They both faded real bad, she thinks it had to do with the chemicals in the pool? Anyone else ever had this problem with Royal's pools?

Never a problem, it was cheap swim suits.

There are chlorine resistant swim suits available.

I thought RCI pools were untreated sea water (I guess they aren't??):confused:

The pool water is not treated when they are freely circulating with sea water while you are at sea for example. When the ship is in port the pool water is in a recirculated mode and at that time it is chlorinated. The pools on the Freedom class and Oasis class are fresh water so regular chlorination in those, with the exception of one pools on the Oasis. (the Beach pool, I think). The OP was on the Oasis.

Never a problem, it was cheap swim suits.

If 100.00 per swimsuit is cheap, then they were cheap swimsuits. I am just wondering did you go in the pool with your expensive swimsuit or did you hang out on your balcony.

You do that! I'm so excited to see what happens. I bet they make you the new CEO because of all of your serious issues.

Having sat at the pool countless times, I'm amazed that 95% of people believe the showers next to the pool are ornamental in nature. Wash off BEFORE and wash off AFTER! Basic laundry skills tell you that when you get chemicals on clothing, you should remove the chemicals to avoid negative effects. It's a miracle!

I always find those poolside showers comical; rinse off before going in the pool -- to rinse off your body sweat and the sun screen you just put on; rinse off after you get out of the pool -- to give yourself a false sense of security that you have rinsed all the chemicals from the pool off of your skin (false sense of security because your bathing suit can't be rinsed out sufficiently by standing under that shower to rinse out of its threads the pool chemicals that are now on it).

I have a pool at home and I bring along my test kit to test the water on the ship before they get in there. I also do this at hotel pools. You can purchase a test kit at any Wal Mart for just a few bucks. :cool:

If 100.00 per swimsuit is cheap, then they were cheap swimsuits. I am just wondering did you go in the pool with your expensive swimsuit or did you hang out on your balcony.

In ladies swimwear higher price usually only means better styling , lined and better straps...for the most part it really doesn't mean it will stand up to the chlorine any better than a $30 swimsuit.

Proudly. Through the good AND bad. You know the best part about meeting Bengals fans? Not having to deal with bandwagon fans. If someone is waving the orange and black, you know they aren't just there because someone told them this was a cool team.

If you think that was a wicked awesome (and unique) insult because you swapped the "e" with the letter "u" you are mistaken.

My Grandfather is beaming down upon you from heaven. extra points if you are also a Red's fan.

Geez who cares about your swim suit.

who spends that much on a swimsuit in the first place?! Both of mine together don't add up to that.

you have been told numerous ways from Sunday that fading happens.. ALL THE FREAKING TIME and what can be done to mitigate future occurrences.

It happened to me on the Adventure a few years ago. Not from the pool. but from the hot tub in the Solarium. My blue swim suit discolored around the seat. Mentioned it on CC and some idiot claimed that it happens to cheap bathing suits. The only time that it has happened to me or my better half.

Did you REALLY post this?

;) ;) ;) :D

I had the same problem with my Speedo......it went from bikini size to dental floss size. Boy those areas get sun burn REAL easy......:eek:

Thanks for that visual.:rolleyes:

I always find those poolside showers comical; rinse off before going in the pool -- to rinse off your body sweat and the sun screen you just put on; rinse off after you get out of the pool -- to give yourself a false sense of security that you have rinsed all the chemicals from the pool off of your skin (false sense of security because your bathing suit can't be rinsed out sufficiently by standing under that shower to rinse out of its threads the pool chemicals that are now on it).

Rinsing the sweat off is a nice thing to do.

Most sunscreen will survive a rinse.

It will certainly remove quite a bit of it. I'm not saying it's 100%, save the heavy scrubbing for your room or when you get home. No one is asking you to strip nekkid and thoroughly wash your swimsuit with laundry detergent.

However, a few minute under the water will ABSOLUTELY remove a decent bit of any treated water in it.

Think of it this way... if you were covered in mud and there was a cold rinse shower nearby... you could either walk the entire way home covered in mud or you could spend 5 minutes under the shower and get a decent chunk of it off and do the heavy scrubbing when you got home. Are you perfectly clean? No. Are you a bunch cleaner than you were? YES.

It's remarkable how life works like that. Is a stick of gum or a mint better than brushing your teeth? NO. Would I prefer that over some stank breath? YES. Is hand sanitizer as effective as hand washing? NO Would I prefer that after shaking hands with someone I see immediately pick their nose after I shook their hand (and probably did before we shook) and there is no bathroom nearby? YES.

It will certainly remove quite a bit of it. I'm not saying it's 100%, save the heavy scrubbing for your room or when you get home. No one is asking you to strip nekkid and thoroughly wash your swimsuit with laundry detergent.

However, a few minute under the water will ABSOLUTELY remove a decent bit of any treated water in it.

Think of it this way... if you were covered in mud and there was a cold rinse shower nearby... you could either walk the entire way home covered in mud or you could spend 5 minutes under the shower and get a decent chunk of it off and do the heavy scrubbing when you got home. Are you perfectly clean? No. Are you a bunch cleaner than you were? YES.

It's remarkable how life works like that. Is a stick of gum or a mint better than brushing your teeth? NO. Would I prefer that over some stank breath? YES. Is hand sanitizer as effective as hand washing? NO Would I prefer that after shaking hands with someone I see immediately pick their nose after I shook their hand (and probably did before we shook) and there is no bathroom nearby? YES.

I like this argument.

If you think that people stand under that poolside shower for a few minutes or even 1 minute, look again next time....maybe 10-15 seconds -- just enough to wet their body, as if they were going down a waterslide so that they don't stick to the slide.

The usage of the words "Nekkid" and "stank" in the same post?! Nice!

I'm a huge fan of busting out the colloquialism for effect. :) Thanks for noticing!

If you think that people stand under that poolside shower for a few minutes or even 1 minute, look again next time....maybe 10-15 seconds -- just enough to wet their body, as if they were going down a waterslide so that they don't stick to the slide.

I believe that if you had understood the concept of my original comment on the matter, you would have grasped the fact that I disapprove of people treating the showers like an ornament. Your 10-15 wetting themselves down comment falls into the same category. That isn't using the shower, that is still treating it like an ornament.

THAT SAID, I have used the shower for 10-15 seconds as a quick cool down before. Just a quick WHOOOSH to drop my temperature by several degrees before laying back down.

I'm also not suggesting people use these as actual bathing showers. They are rinsing showers. Somewhere in the range of 45-60 seconds is about all you could ever expect from someone to rinse off. My 2nd comment was that even that should be enough to rinse off the bulk of the sweat and dilute a bunch of the pool water in your suit.

I'm gathering you just want to poo-poo, though, and not realistically discuss tips that might lengthen the life of someone's bathing suit (AND be a tad more hygienic in the process!) by a bit.