8 day cruise, is doing carry on realistic?

Baby_Bear

If your clothes smell after being worn in AC for a few hours, I would suggest either better personal hygiene or a visit to a doctor.

Don't you wash out your bathing suit after wearing it? It doesn't take any longer to wash out a shirt and some underwear.

Some ships have a great laundry package.

I don't check bags because I don't want to wait for them or Don't want my stuff to go missing. One our cruise in 2012, one coil,e's bags didn't show up in Rome. They spent their first day trying to track them down, second day in Rome shopping for replacement items, and the bags still hadn't arrived when we boarded the third day. They finally caught up with this couple a week later. So who used their time and money more wisely? Those who carried in and sent some items for laundry, or them?

No out side decks on your cruise.

Is it the Nautilus?

The pressure must be on to be rushing to get to somewhere else.

I say this because, I've had to sit next to alot of stinkers

at the bars prior to muster drill.

Did you tip the porter?

Edited by fireofficer5
The reason for my first post.

You are fortunate. So far, my lost luggage count is BA (twice), Air France (also twice - think that's why i stopped flying those two airlines!) and Delta (once). The Delta incident occurred at the start of a cruise last year, where the brain surgeons in baggage handling at JFK simply didn't load our bag onto the flight (dunno, maybe they didn't care for the color design) and we arrived in FLL minus the bag. Took them 2 days to locate it (so even arriving the day before was no good) and send to the first port of call, which was not a fun experience. BTW, Carnival was awesome, they constantly were in touch with Delta and kept me up to date, I had much more confidence in them than in Delta. I totally agree with ducklite - its much easier to manage with carry on if possible. Which I've done all the time for shorter (3-4 day) trips, but I'm glad that so many have had good experiences doing carry on for 1 week+ trips as well. You guys have encouraged me to give it a shot!

Is it the Nautilus?

Did you tip the porter?

Not sure what this has to do with the airline losing the bag.

And also not having to give my bag to a porter, that might 'lose it' if they don't get a big enough tip, is fine with me.

Edited by Bookbug53

Thanks for sharing this. I had watched this before and thought... not doable because I'm not Barbie. However, warm weather clothes fold up much smaller- so maybe. 5th Carnival cruise- maybe this time I won't over pack

I have done the rolling-up/bundle method. I also have watched this video and tried this method.

I just read that women, especially, can save space by cutting down on underwear! I read about some new travel underwear that they say is good to go for 6 weeks! :eek: It is $20-ish.

One thing I do helps only on the return (so a little exyra room for souvenirs_ -- I save up my ratty-old underwear throughout the year, and take that. Then I throw it away after wearing. :o

I can not wrap my mind around how one can pack for an 8-day cruise in one carry-on:eek:

DH and I take two large pieces for clothes, shoes and toiletries. We each have a carry on for our snorkeling equipment, cameras and other electronics and meds. We also carry a garment bag for our dress clothes.

No way am I going to do laundry while I am on vacation:eek::eek:.

Edited by MsMot

Of course there are outside decks, but when we are on them for more than a few minutes pasing through we are usually in bathing suits.

Even being outside for 10-15 minutes isn't going to make someone smell.

I can assure you that we weren't the ones next to you.

Did you tip the porter?

When we use one, of course. But what does that have to do with an airline losing someone's suitcase?

I've done it several times.

It's all about coordinating items, and choosing a mid-point of dressiness. That is, between athletic wear and formal night.

A black pashmina is my evening wrap AND my swimsuit coverup (worn as a skirt/sarong). Base items are black and khaki - shorts, skirts, tanks, light sweater. Bright colored blouses or jewelry jazz it up.

Skip jeans, sweatshirts, fuzzy PJ pants, formal dinner outfits, and look for items that can be layered instead. A long-sleeved shirt and windbreaker offer more options, are just as warm as a hoodie, and take up much less space.

Wear low sandals that are casual enough for the pool and dressy enough for dinner with that skirt. 3 shoes - athletic, casual sandals (not flip flops) and one pair with heels.

I wear some items more than once - and pack lots of underwear.

I can not wrap my mind around how one can pack for an 8-day cruise in one carry-on:eek:

DH and I take two large pieces for clothes, shoes and toiletries. We each have a carry on for our snorkeling equipment, cameras and other electronics and meds. We also carry a garment bag for our dress clothes.

But why do you need to? Carnival has a 15/bag special, so you can send it out. We were on the Breeze in Aug 2012 sailing in the Med for 12 days. We did have one suitcase each as the total trip was 16 days. We sent out the laundry twice on the cruise. For a total of $30, we got back fresh clean clothes. And that really cut down on how much laundry we had to do when we got back to the US.

I did a 7-day cruise twice with a carryon and briefcase. I am sure I could do the same with an 8-day cruise. The one difference is I would likely have to wear an extra outfit twice.

I wear one pair of shoes and don't pack extras. Toiletries go in the TSA-mandated quart bag or I use the ones on ship. My cell phone is my camera. My Kindle is my favorite toy. This is sum and total of my packed electronics. I don't snorkel. I don't take any medication. I don't pack dress clothes. And so far I haven't had to do laundry.

My two cents, worth about what you paid for it.

No way I'm doing laundry myself either! But I can pack it in a bag and let my room steward handle the job and get it returned to me the next day.

I'm not moving either so I don't need several bags - my carry on is all I need. Have done carry on for all my cruises except 2 week Med.

Edited by evandbob

Some people use this video as a way to pack

I use this method each and every time I travel. It's absolutely stupid how much you can fit into a carry on. I wear my sperry's onto the plane, pack a pair of Birks and a pair dress shoes. For toiletries I only take what will fit in the TSA approved bag. I don't imagine I'll see anyone again and don't worry too much if they think I should be wearing more makeup than I do (minimal at the most and almost never any foundation...why would I try to cover any tan I might be lucky enough to get with my super fair skin? :), even on formal nights-less is usually more). I can get by with a travel sized shampoo and don't condition every time I wash so all's good there.

My point is that is most definitely worth it, and the liberation of not standing at the baggage carousel waiting for luggage is great. Think of it as a challenge to yourself. :)

For us, it isn't possible. We take 3 suitcases, one super large and each a backpack. By the end of the cruise, with all we've accumulated between t-shirts in port and other souvenirs, plus RUM, we need all that space.

We do end up overpacking clothing though - by day 3 we find our comfy clothes and just do laundry ($15 for them to do and fold) and probably don't use 1/3 of the clothes that we pack. However, we usually bring a ton of sunscreen (and use it ALL), aloe and I have an emergency kit of meds and the like that I bring (and have used).

The biggest issue for me is liquids, not clothes. I have managed to pack clothes and shoes in a carryon and backpack - but sunscreens, lotions, hair products, etc. are my undoing.

Sent from my phone. Typos are inevitable.

Edited by soccersharon

and once you start buying traps, it won't all fit in a carry on.......

LOL (for those that missed the original reference, a poster wrote about buying cheap "mouse" for her hair before embarking!)

totally do-able for a guy... lol... my hubs did it this last cruise... i thought he was nuts but he did it...

me.. i did carry on and a checked bag (which still had some room left in it)... however i am seriously contiplating trying to stuff all my stuff into a carry on this next go around since it will just be myself.. :eek: (trying to go el cheapo this next time around!)

i also highly recommend using travel space bags!! no vacuum required!

I can see males doing this, but not females. I have learned over the years to get all my clothes in my carry-on because I only two pairs of pants with two different tops each, one formal outfit for both nights, and shoes that can go with both outfits. I have to take a different pair for my formal clothes. I can get my makeup in the carry-on and all my chargers.

My jewelry & camera go in my purse. Same with DH, but then we've got all the toiletries, which are mostly sample size, brushes, hairdryer, pool bag and his suit have to go in the larger suitcase so there's no way around it for us.

Edited by Terre

My entire family travels carry-on only. We just returned from 17 days in France with a 22 inch or smaller suitcase plus 1 tote bag each.

The trick is to have clothes that are made of fabric that doesn't wrinkle too much and then roll! I also don't require a change of shoes for each outfit so only pack dress shoes and a pair of sandals while wearing my flip flops on the plane. I divide all the toiletries amongst the group and we have never run out of anything.

My entire family travels carry-on only. We just returned from 17 days in France with a 22 inch or smaller suitcase plus 1 tote bag each.

The trick is to have clothes that are made of fabric that doesn't wrinkle too much and then roll! I also don't require a change of shoes for each outfit so only pack dress shoes and a pair of sandals while wearing my flip flops on the plane. I divide all the toiletries amongst the group and we have never run out of anything.

I could have written this myself!!! Exactly what we do and last trip I made a point of noticing what sort of shampoos etc were sold in local stores in Rome and it turns out that we could have gotten whatever we wanted at reasonable prices just 2 doors down from our apt !!!

No worries about small containers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums