Just Booked and UPSET! Advice?

Who knows, maybe someone will PAY you to take a cruise doing photos of their wedding!?!

I would love to do a wedding film for a client on a cruise! I've actually been trying to break in to the destination wedding market for a bit. It's difficult because most clients don't have the budget for this sort of thing, and the ones that do, can easily find someone that's done them before.

We do very high-qualty work, and are located in a very expensive market. The costs of booking us for travel can be quite prohibitive for many clients when factoring in our package costs.

Also, many people don't realize that wedding films don't suck anymore when done the right way!

I think you got lucky with the refund. I would save you time and forget the letter, considering you cost the company money and never bought a cruise. how much time would you spend with a bride who signed a contract , gave you money, and then decided she wanted her money back? After much back and forth you refund the money even though you did not break the contract, but there was a miscommunication , would you want a long letter critical letter? would you spend much time on this bride or move on and try and book another customer? time to move on.

I think you got lucky with the refund. I would save you time and forget the letter, considering you cost the company money and never bought a cruise. how much time would you spend with a bride who signed a contract , gave you money, and then decided she wanted her money back? After much back and forth you refund the money even though you did not break the contract, but there was a miscommunication , would you want a long letter critical letter? would you spend much time on this bride or move on and try and book another customer? time to move on.

You're kidding, right? You're equating this to a marriage contract?

Who said he's never going to use RCCL in the future?

Have you ever heard of Goodwill?

Wow.

Edited by robflys

Well, I disagree. I've actually had two clients change their minds a week later just recently (which never happens) because they were worried about their budget. I gave them retainer back and let it be because it was within a reasonable amount of time, and this was totaling over $10,000 in revenue. It hurts, but you move forward.

Additionally, I had a client who was a referral from another studio that was already booked on that date, book with me and sign the contract. I had another inquiry but declined it because of this contract. I never received the retainer that was promised, and technically and legally can take her to court because the contract includes this clause. Will I? No.

I value every client, and do everything in my power to keep our studio's image SQUEAKY clean. That's the problem with some enterprises, their employees don't give a **** and that's when customers can't get the right resolution that makes sense on an individual level.

BTW, here's my letter (no need to hold breath):

Good Day Daniel,

Per our conversation earlier today, I have cancelled your reservation due to the Nursery issue. You will be receiving two refunds. One will be in the amount of $546.99 and the other will be for $ 2,342.00. Please allow 3-5 business days.

Best Regards,

Susan

Edited by dinzitari

Here's my reply to susan's email:

Thank you Susan! You are a superstar over at the forums on cruisecritic.com. If you head over the RCI board, you’ll see a LONG thread following this issue, and lots of replies hailing you as a savior. Thank you so much, you’ve made a big difference for our family!

On Jul 12, 2014, at 10:29 AM, Mstephens@rccl.com wrote:

Good Day Daniel,

You're kidding, right? You're equating this to a marriage contract?

Who said he's never going to use RCCL in the future?

Have you ever heard of Goodwill?

Wow.

His profession is photographing weddings? Personally I think he made an iinplusive buy and poorly conceived trip with a baby. Glad the gave him a refund, and cancelled the trip but he was at RCCL

Let's say this instead, because your comprehension and argument is invalid.

You book/buy [anything] because it fit a need and that need is listed on the description of said [anything].

You Find out two days later that this description of [anything] is inaccurate and doesn't meet your needs.

Based on above description of events, who's time do you believe to be wasted, Buyer or Seller?

Edited by dinzitari

dinzitari,

WHOO HOO!! :D Getting a customer service rep to listen and provide the best resolution is a nice way to begin your weekend.

Hoping whatever cruise you decide upon, it proves to be relaxing and rejuvenating. Enjoy your weekend.

His profession is photographing weddings? Personally I think he made an iinplusive buy and poorly conceived trip with a baby. Glad the gave him a refund, and cancelled the trip but he was at RCCL

I misread your comment. Actually it's a good analogy but the facts don't exactly fit this scenario. I stand corrected.....

How about a video! I may do this...all depends on if I choose to bring my pro camera with me. (It's difficult), though I may rent a pro level "point n shoot"....we will see. Worst case scenario it will be point and shoot photos.

I watched a ton of ship reviews on youtube yesterday, and as a pro cinematographer.... It was painful. Hate to say it, but cruise critics videos are pretty poor as well. It got me thinking that I could do MUCH better, and would be a good way to travel while working..... going to brainstorm this over the next few weeks.

The cruise lines videos are much better production quality (budget=quality). I wonder if any sites like this one here would be willing to invest to move up the food chain?

EDIT: since we are on this topic (briefly) here's a link to a spot we just produced. It's possible you may see this on the web this year! (Soccer will probably be replaced with football since World Cup is over). Written/Directed by yours truly!

Google "Wolf family Oasis to see a fabulous video that the Wolf Family produced. They actually were awarded a free cruise on the Allure from RCI after they saw their video. I was amazed at this video!! Don't know how to post a link or I would do it.

Google "Wolf family Oasis to see a fabulous video that the Wolf Family produced. They actually were awarded a free cruise on the Allure from RCI after they saw their video. I was amazed at this video!! Don't know how to post a link or I would do it.

That's an awesome tail of events (RCI picking it up and sailing them for free).

What's even more amazing, is that he is a Doctor that does video for fun. You know, if you read my bio on the website, you'll hear me mention a thing about "story greater than cinematography".

This guy as a knack for story, and though the quality of the visuals and editing is certainly amateur, he has the natural ability to create interesting content and developing a story. With more time invested, he could easily hire a cinematography and editing duo, and produce some great work. Thanks for sharing this!

Now, I'm almost challenging myself to create something to wow all you folks, but for me, it's kind of bringing the work with me on vacation :) Something to think about because we've decided our new sail date will be 8/31-9/7. This is normally a no go vacation weekend because I'm sure to get a booking for work this week, but I don't have one yet. Our anniversary actually falls on 9/4 so i'm gonna bite the bullet and celebrate life and family instead of thinking about money.

Edited by dinzitari

I understand what you are saying, but I booked a cabin rated for 3 guests, and now I'm in a 2 person cabin. I would have booked another sailing or line that fit my needs better.

Unfortunately I'm roped in to this now because of the favors my wife called in to get off for these dates. Even if I wanted to cancel, the other sailings on other liners conflict with work dates that I CAN't get out of. This 5 day'er fit in nicely so we just went with it... I would have sailed in August or September had I not found an acceptable size room for my family.

You have stated that your"stuck" with this cruise and stateroom, I guess you could continue moaning or maybe just maybe enjoy the cruise and try to have a more of a glass half full attitude???:D

You have stated that your"stuck" with this cruise and stateroom, I guess you could continue moaning or maybe just maybe enjoy the cruise and try to have a more of a glass half full attitude???:D

Putting a silly grin on does not make your post funny in the least!

Just booked on a competing cruise line. I'm sure I will entertain sailing RCI in the future since they made things right for me in the end, despite the bad experience during this booking and cancellation process. Is it considered uncool to post details about what I booked in this thread, since it is a competing line?

Click on this guys profile/all posts by this user. Seems like these types of posts are the norm for him. :rolleyes:

Your daughter is beautiful!! And I do hope that if you don't come to a resolution for a full refund that you consider the 5 day cruise without grandma.. and without the nursery. Sure you won't be building any great memories for her... but you'll have a lifetime of memories for yourself in those 5 days.

I don't know what your family situation is, nor do I want you to expose it here, but I do know that when I had a niece and nephew I jumped at the chance to 'keep them' when possible. Sure, I spoiled them rotten. Sure, it took their parents days to get them back into their routine... but we had a blast! I was also happy to help with co-workers and friends children... one of the best things about not having children is borrowing other people's children. I have a dear friend who's daughter stayed with us for a long weekend... so what if we kept her out of school on Friday to make it a 3 day weekend at Universal! I'm the ever loved Aunt to many children. All this is by saying... consider allowing your blessing to be a blessing to a trusted family or friend. IF that isn't an option (and I do understand your concerns) then take her on the cruise and ENJOY her. The rest will work out.

Babies, young children rarely experience sea-sickness. Does she get motion sick in a car? You said she LOVES the swing. A child who has motion sickness doesn't do swings!

And, if you take her... take her to EVERYTHING... sit in the back of the theater and if she fusses, leave. Take her to dinner and see how she does. We have had some delightful children at our dining table over the years. Take her to the 70s party and dance with her! Take her for her first walk on the deck at night... and show her the stars... and the sunsets... and take lots of pictures of her on the pink sand beaches in Bermuda. You'll be surprised how your vacation will revolve around her 'firsts' and you'll be telling stories at her wedding about your daughter's first cruise. And... if you can consider it... consider a night or two with a sitter, in your cabin. You can drop back in any time and check on her. Chances are... she'll be sleeping and the sitter will be reading.

I think what most of us want is to give you options. I know sometimes we come across as all knowing...and insistent that you do something a certain way. I do hope that whatever you decide to do, and whatever RCI offers you... works for you and your lovely family~ Thanks for keeping us informed... This is a learning experience for all of us.

Sorry don't mean to hijack the thread but~~~~

That was beautiful!!! Even brought tears to my eyes as we did exactly what you describe.

We took our 20 month old on her 1st cruise 22 years ago and danced with her in the lounges and star gazed as her Dad held her close and we even fit a crib in our tiny inside cabin. And back then those cabins were small. We even had the loveliest in cabin babysitter on a couple of nights. And never put her in Daycare so that was challenging for us.

Thank you for bringing back those precious memories:)

Liz

Adding my *smile* :D at how things worked out for you Daniel, and admiration for Susan Stephens @ RCCL for combining humanity with customer service, proving the two can co-exist in the same entity and that customer service is not always leaning to adversarial just because of some money and who is right or wrong.

There seemed to be a good bit of over-thinking in this thread over legal and financial rights and wrongs...*sigh* sometimes I guess there is the tendency to be just too smart to be empathetic.....too technical to just root for a fellow cruiser to take his family on a nice 1st vacation for them altogether which suits them as best as it can....

seems RCCL has customer reps like Susan who don't have "fine print-ed" brains and allow for doing what makes human sense.....people sense....family sense

I've sailed with them twice now, enjoyed the cruises....and have encountered that "brick wall" type of customer service with them once.....now I am encouraged to sail with them again and will be checking out cruises with them....hopefully if I have any issues I will encounter a "Susan" to at least listen to me and be human to human with me....I don't mind taking a hit of some sort, I can be wrong, make mistakes in vacation planning (have done).....

just have to comment on the poster who shook a typed finger at last minute booking and traveling.....and I am a long in advance type A person....I have two words about your post

Are you for REAL? (ok that was four words LOLOLOL)

Happy cruising Daniel......:)

Adding my *smile* :D at how things worked out for you Daniel, and admiration for Susan Stephens @ RCCL for combining humanity with customer service, proving the two can co-exist in the same entity and that customer service is not always leaning to adversarial just because of some money and who is right or wrong.

There seemed to be a good bit of over-thinking in this thread over legal and financial rights and wrongs...*sigh* sometimes I guess there is the tendency to be just too smart to be empathetic.....too technical to just root for a fellow cruiser to take his family on a nice 1st vacation for them altogether which suits them as best as it can....

seems RCCL has customer reps like Susan who don't have "fine print-ed" brains and allow for doing what makes human sense.....people sense....family sense

I've sailed with them twice now, enjoyed the cruises....and have encountered that "brick wall" type of customer service with them once.....now I am encouraged to sail with them again and will be checking out cruises with them....hopefully if I have any issues I will encounter a "Susan" to at least listen to me and be human to human with me....I don't mind taking a hit of some sort, I can be wrong, make mistakes in vacation planning (have done).....

just have to comment on the poster who shook a typed finger at last minute booking and traveling.....and I am a long in advance type A person....I have two words about your post

Are you for REAL? (ok that was four words LOLOLOL)

Happy cruising Daniel......:)

If anyone has a major issue to resolve in the future, PM me and i'll forward the email address for her! Maybe she deserves a promotion soon RCI!

If anyone has a major issue to resolve in the future, PM me and i'll forward the email address for her! Maybe she deserves a promotion soon RCI!

Sorry, no PM feature here. You'd have to go by e-mail contact.

EDITED TO ADD: This thread has gotten far too long for me now, so I simply looked up your posts (#241 - "Resolution!!) and can say that I am very happy for you and your family. I do hope, however, that you consider RCI in future. They have a great product and I know you would enjoy their ships and service. :)

God bless, take care.

Edited by Langley Cruisers